Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th October 2022, 23:23   #436
BHPian

Re: Cyrus Mistry passes away in a road accident

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT_Hyderabad View Post
I keep tracking the case and try searching for Dr. Anahita Pandole's statement to the police about what actually happened.

Today while searching this news came up:

https://www.freepressjournal.in/mumb...-claims-report

This was not expected. Hope it is not true!

And the statement from her seems to take eternity. Is there some kind of conspiracy which is holding police from taking a simple statement from her or the co-passenger? Only God knows.
Do not believe what comes in the media. There is no accountability in publishing any garbage that has been received by 'sources'.

W.r.t. her statement, she either could still be under treatment and hence not able to provide the statement (as per her legal team) or the statement would have been kept private to ensure less media/image damage. They would have good legal resources at disposal so this case will be handled accordingly.
sunilch is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th October 2022, 00:23   #437
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT_Hyderabad View Post
I keep tracking the case and try searching for Dr. Anahita Pandole's statement to the police about what actually happened.
I find it impossible to believe the good Doctor would not be wearing her seatbelt. Don’t think she would have survived if the belt was not worn perfectly. These sources and such news is nothing but click bait to sensationalise things.

Cheers
Cyborg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th October 2022, 16:04   #438
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborg View Post
I find it impossible to believe the good Doctor would not be wearing her seatbelt. ...
I know a "good doctor" whom I saw getting on the back of a bike without wearing a helmet. I'm afraid it is very possible.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 16th October 2022, 16:49   #439
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
I know a "good doctor" whom I saw getting on the back of a bike without wearing a helmet. I'm afraid it is very possible.
Haven’t we all done what you say sometime in our lives In this case I still say impossible because it was a highway run with heavy rains, bad roads and the biggest kicker - she could not have survived a crash of this magnitude in the drivers seat without the safety net of the seatbelt and airbags.

Cheers
Cyborg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th October 2022, 17:40   #440
Senior - BHPian

The hypothesis could be that the good doctors regular driver might be using the seat belt that way. And when they started the drive on their own its quite likely that the belts were overlooked.

Heart of heart, I do hope that this news from a source is NOT true.
Old 4th November 2022, 11:08   #441
BHPian

https://news.rediff.com/commentary/2...674f4322fc7467

This surely will reignite the debate. Road Design Vs. Driving Sense.

Correlating previous reports on the speed of the car 5 seconds prior to the accident and the statement, this looks like a classic case of overtaking from the left lane to avoid slow moving trucks blocking the middle and right lane. The driver was blinded by the car ahead and could not observe the merging lanes, which the car ahead had a clear view to, and took its chances.

Last edited by theabstractmind : 4th November 2022 at 11:10.
theabstractmind is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th November 2022, 14:48   #442
BHPian

"Darius Pandole, who survived the car accident in which industrialist Cyrus Mistry died, has told the police that his wife Dr Anahita was driving the Mercedes-Benz car in the third lane and could not merge into the second lane that turned narrow near the Surya river bridge in Maharashtra’s Palghar, an official said. The statement of Darius Pandole (60) was recorded on Tuesday by the officials of the Kasa police station in Palghar"

https://indianexpress.com/article/ci...-8246240/lite/

Just saw that the news was already shared a post above.

Last edited by MT_Hyderabad : 4th November 2022 at 14:49.
MT_Hyderabad is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th November 2022, 15:30   #443
Senior - BHPian

Well, that is one of the golden rules of overtaking. Not to follow the vehicle in front that is in an overtaking process. You are basically blind.
The truck that was in the right lane wouldn't have expected this. If this happened on his right, there are chances he would have braked since it would have caught his attention in the right side mirror. But if speeds are high, there is nothing much any driver could have done.
Old 4th November 2022, 15:38   #444
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
Well, that is one of the golden rules of overtaking. Not to follow the vehicle in front that is in an overtaking process. You are basically blind.

The truck that was in the right lane wouldn't have expected this. If this happened on his right, there are chances he would have braked since it would have caught his attention in the right side mirror. But if speeds are high, there is nothing much any driver could have done.
I would assume that the "fundamental' rule is to have slower vehicles (read trucks & buses) in the left lane, so overtaking vehicles can use their legitimate right lane, as is prevalent all over the civilised world !!
Unless road discipline is strictly enforced on our roads & highways, we will continue to see such accidents, which are bound to rise exponentially, consistent with the increase in vehicle density.
Time to act, Mr Gadkari !!!
shramik is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th November 2022, 00:42   #445
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shramik View Post
I would assume that the "fundamental' rule is to have slower vehicles (read trucks & buses) in the left lane, so overtaking vehicles can use their legitimate right lane, as is prevalent all over the civilised world !!
Unless road discipline is strictly enforced on our roads & highways, we will continue to see such accidents, which are bound to rise exponentially, consistent with the increase in vehicle density.
Time to act, Mr Gadkari !!!
The fundamental rule is we follow the rules first and set an example. Err on the side of caution. Until we think it is ok to do something insensible because everyone else is doing so, how does change occur? Why do we need others to govern us? Why can't we govern ourselves? For sure the online warriors here who are fighting for legitimacy should be capable of governing themselves? Or will they continue to blame the conditions without owning up to their share of follies? What's unfortunate is very often we see seemingly educated and affluent folk indulge in such entitled and insensitive behaviour.

In an ideal world, even I would love our country to be like a few developed countries. Where people wait in que in a bus station Or a self service restaurant. Where people stop at a red signal even at midnight. Where people drop in their bus fares in a box without trying to cheat because the bus doesn't have a conductor. Where people que up in a single lane at toll gates without cutting into others. I can go on. But, and a big one at that, is not the point.

There is a big gap in education and civic sense in our country. And the lack of civic sense is pervasive across income levels and irrespective of the degrees they hold. And there, lies the problem. Unless the affluent and educated show the way, and set the right example, you can't expect others to follow. There are still many pockets in our country where people look up to an educated person to set the right example. On the other hand, Mr. Gadkari couldn't prevent highways from having speed-breakers Or signal stops. That's the reality. How can he enforce lane discipline? The root of the problem lies not in enforcement, but in deep rooted corruption and lack of respect. Only education and a sensible enforcement of existing rules (read no corruption) can help the situation. It seems va distant dream, though.
theabstractmind is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 5th November 2022, 18:39   #446
Distinguished - BHPian

And I just read this:

Cyrus Mistry's death: Dr Anahita Pandole booked for rash driving, overspeeding

About time I'd say.
R2D2 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 5th November 2022, 19:28   #447
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
Quote:
The report had stated that brakes were applied five seconds before the crash and the speed had dropped to 89kmph
Must have been traveling at quite some speed to be at 90kmph AFTER 5 seconds of braking. The alternative possibility would be that the driver was not familiar with emergency braking and did not brake hard enough.
whitewing is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th November 2022, 19:59   #448
BHPian

A straightforward case of horrendous driving and error of judgment. Perfect example of how you need to balance the view ahead with corresponding speed for slowing or stopping without alarms.

Feel sorry for her with the physical injuries and mental trauma with the case hanging over her head for God knows how many years.

It still is a case of disbelief that the car crashed into a barrier and the two rear passengers lost their lives. It would have been understandable if the car had toppled or rolled over a cliff. But here the Merc just crashed and only frontal impact but the rear passengers were the casualties. She might have been at some speed for them to have banged their heads so hard and died immediately!.
Old 5th November 2022, 20:37   #449
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitewing View Post
Must have been traveling at quite some speed to be at 90kmph AFTER 5 seconds of braking. The alternative possibility would be that the driver was not familiar with emergency braking and did not brake hard enough.
I have been saying since the beginning this is due to driver error caused by speeding and/or being in the wrong lane at the wrong time. Not to mention all this during the rains when our roads take a beating and in heavy traffic. My guess is the car was doing 110-130 kmph before brakes were applied very hard I assume. Driver error was also confirmed by MB.

As for the 3 lanes merging into 2 remember these cars have a navigation system that can show you the merger if you care to switch it on and operate it in navi mode. THE major boo-boo IMHO is the driver allowed 2 rear seat passengers to travel without wearing seat belts. It is the driver's fault on multiple counts. I am glad the cops have taken steps to make this lady accountable. Yes the road design is at fault too and a contributing factor but heck when have Indian roads and highways ever been perfect?

Last edited by Aditya : 6th November 2022 at 05:14. Reason: Typo; toning down
R2D2 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 5th November 2022, 22:17   #450
BHPian

Again speculations are being made and speeds are being guessed when it is not needed; police has the speed data from Mercedes.

Driver was not carrying babies and children, she can't be held accountable for full grown adults not wearing seat belts. By the way, there is no such rule for rear passengers to wear seat belts in India, at least until this accident happened.

The news was, that she was herself sitting on the seat belt and not wearing it. This is surely her fault.

If I am driving a bus, I will not check that everyone is wearing seat belt. Even if I do, they can simply unlock themselves while I drive.

Although she is being charged, I don't see her serving jail time in her lifetime.

Firstly, she will get a bail.
Then she will win the case on the grounds of road design.
She may be charged a hefty fine for her seat belt error, or any overspeeding if proven, and that will be it.

I am waiting for her statement. Her husband's statement is straight forward - She could not merge back into the two lanes; implying that the road design was at fault and three lanes became two!
Attached Images

MT_Hyderabad is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks