Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th September 2022, 11:42   #286
R_R
BHPian

Re: Cyrus Mistry passes away in a road accident

Poor road design, bad driving habits all may have contributed to this and many other tragedies. But in much of the discussion, there is little attention to enforcement of traffic rules (understandable as that may not have contributed to THIS accident, but important nevertheless). For example, over-speeding is very common on our highways. But equally so are people driving on the opposite side of the traffic, sometimes on the fast lane! I have seen this repeatedly on both highways and city roads. And of course, we have to share the road with everything from pedestrians to animals carts to weird contraptions that I see on some highways that look like locally assembled automobiles of some sort. There is very little access control on highways in India because basically, highways are just mostly broadened local roads rather than custom built for high speed traffic. Most importantly, there is hardly any enforcement or even traffic police on these highways, let alone highway patrolling. Driving long distance, one rarely sees a police person. And even if you one, they seem uncaring about most traffic rule violations except mobile phone usage while driving! Thus, I am constantly surprised when people talk about driving at above 120 kmph on our roads. I don't think it is safe to drive at anything over about 90-100 kmph.

Sorry for the rant, but I am frequently frustrated and angry when I drive on our highways at the rather lackadaisical attitude of our authorities to safety of citizens.
R_R is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 7th September 2022, 11:50   #287
BHPian

After Cyrus Mistry's Death In Car Crash, Mercedes-Benz's Statement

Quote:
After Cyrus Mistry's Death In Car Crash, Mercedes-Benz's Statement
Mr Mistry was cremated on Tuesday.

New Delhi: Luxury carmaker Mercedes-Benz India on Tuesday said it is cooperating with the authorities investigating the car crash that led to the death of former Tata Sons chairman Cyrus Mistry.
Mr Mistry (54) and his friend Jahangir Pandole were killed on Sunday afternoon when their Mercedes GLC 220d 4MATIC car hit a road divider in Palghar district of Maharashtra.

Two other car occupants -- Anahita Pandole (55), who was at the wheel, and her husband Darius Pandole (60) -- suffered injuries and are admitted to a private hospital in Mumbai.

Mr Mistry was cremated on Tuesday. The last rites were performed in an electric crematorium at Worli in central Mumbai.

"As a responsible brand respecting customer privacy, our team is cooperating with the authorities where possible, and we will provide any clarifications to them directly as required," the automaker said in a statement.

The German auto major noted that it would continue ongoing efforts to increase road safety awareness as a responsible manufacturer while equipping its vehicles with the latest safety features and technologies.

"We are deeply saddened by the untimely demise of Cyrus Mistry and Jehangir Pandole in the unfortunate road accident. At the same time we are glad to learn that Anahita Pandole and Darius Pandole are recovering. We wish them a speedy recovery," it noted.
Source : https://www.ndtv.com/india-news/afte...tement-3320986

Last edited by Sheel : 7th September 2022 at 13:03. Reason: Adding experts from the article.
Clayton Crasto is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 7th September 2022, 11:58   #288
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V.Narayan View Post
I more than welcome this move.
To this my take is that every journey begins with one step.
Overwhelmingly agree! To paraphrase Neil Armstrong, "That’s one small step for man, one giant leap for mankind".

At every announcement of safety-related directives, they have been roundly assailed by most stakeholders for being impossible to achieve, to expensive yada yada. A few examples:

1. Seatbelts to be installed in all LMVs
2. Crashworthiness to meet a minimum standard
3. ABS made mandatory
4. Airbags - 2 minimum, soon to be 6
5. 2 wheelers - mandatory rear view mirrors (poorly enforced)
6. Tyres - to meet minimum standards
7. EVs - batteries to meet minimum standards
8. Overloading of trucks - much reduced due to RTO interventions

In my opinion, MoRTH has done significant work in the last few years.
itwasntme is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 7th September 2022, 12:11   #289
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by balenoed_ View Post
On a 3 lane road, where all the 3 lanes goes towards one direction, is overtaking from left side a wrong thing? Didn't know. Can't we overtake from either side on a divided multi lane road?
Technically, you're not supposed to.
But then technically, slow vehicles are supposed to stick to the left-most or mid lanes & give way to faster vehicles.

But that rarely, if ever happens.
So drivers practically do what they feel they need to do.
som9729 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th September 2022, 12:47   #290
BHPian

Quote:

Also, how about a law where a contractor is no longer allowed to build roads, if his previous work is found to be 'not up-to-the-mark'? We have laws for the tax paying citizens, but rarely any accountability for the high profile contractors and companies that make such unsafe highways.
We do have blacklists where contractors who do such faulty or sub-par work are banned but then they come up with a new firm and go around winning contracts again.
ronford is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th September 2022, 13:11   #291
Kln
BHPian

Well, well.
The government probe has concluded that a faulty bridge design on the highway caused the accident, and that they're still investigating how much the car was overspeeding, if at all. The safety mechanism worked as intended.
-
https://www.timesofindia.com/city/mu...w/94037597.cms
Attached Thumbnails
Cyrus Mistry passes away in a road accident-screenshot_20220907130700_chrome.jpg  

Kln is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 7th September 2022, 13:11   #292

Adding to all this, Govt should make sure that only crash-tested vehicles should be released or should be on the road. As a buyer, one should know where they are putting the money. Just like how someone wants to put extra money for a better powerful engine, let them take a call depending on the crash rating too.
Old 7th September 2022, 13:32   #293
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osteon206 View Post

The particular route in question is Salem - Vazhapadi - Attur - Chinnasalem - Virudachalam bypass - Ulundurpet
This is very true. The route that you mention is indeed a dangerous one, with four lane stretches suddenly converging into two lanes, with little or no signage to warn the motorist.

Last time I travelled this route was about two months ago and I was happy to note that preliminary work had started on widening the two lane stretches. Hopefully, within a year, this work should be completed. Fingers Crossed!
Rada is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th September 2022, 13:33   #294
rkw
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by balenoed_ View Post
On a 3 lane road, where all the 3 lanes goes towards one direction, is overtaking from left side a wrong thing? Didn't know. Can't we overtake from either side on a divided multi lane road?
Not really as the right most lane (in countries which drive on the left) in such cases are clearly earmarked as "Overtake lane". But with the assurance of no oncoming traffic due to divider, many assume that overtaking from left is fine. But this is incorrect. The safety principle is that the driver of the vehicle in front focus on driving & look out for overtaking vehicles on the right. Attention gets badly divided when one has to look at both sides for vehicles overtaking from rear.

But sadly, poor driving discipline over the years has left us in a situation where many are compelled to overtake from left. I normally avoid this but in case I have to because the driver in front simply refuses to give side, I make sure I give sufficient time & also use horn before overtaking from left.
rkw is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th September 2022, 14:09   #295
BHPian

A new development now states that the Mercedes SUV had atleast seven traffic violations of speeding and jumping signals from 2020 till date. However, the person behind the wheel at the time of these offences is yet to be ascertained.

Link - https://www.freepressjournal.in/mumb...umping-signals
denzdm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th September 2022, 15:04   #296

So, I live not far away from where this accident took place. The Bridge can be somewhat jarring for someone who's not used to the bend there. But the thing is, Unless you are going too quick for the road, the maximum you need is a sudden lane change.

Going too fast and not wearing the seatbelts is the main reason. But don't let this misdirect us from the fact that the roads there are poorly maintained and during monsoon, potholes with depths of up to 12-15inches have appeared and it requires you to drive defensively.

Buckle up folks and drive responsibly.
Engineer97 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 7th September 2022, 15:10   #297
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V.Narayan View Post
A steady 70 to 80 kmph gets me to my destination no later than the chaps who are forever accelerating off at 100 or 120 kmph. A junction, a railway crossing, navigating through a town,, a herd of cattle, a toll plaza are all equalizers of speedsters and slow pokes like me alike. Indian roads by habit, attitudes and design are simply not meant for driving safely beyond 80 kmph. Just one old man's views.
On a highway like NH44/NH1, I never exceed the speed limit of 90KMPH. My sweet spot of top speed is ~80KMPH. In my experience, driving at 120-130 KMPH would save ~1 hour over a 500 KM Journey.

Now to save this 1 hour, I would have to brake and accelerate hard, dash into lanes, burn more fuel and be always on the edge.IMHO, i don't see any benefits in saving this 1 hour.

However, there are people who believe that speed thrills. I often get trolled for slow driving and being a timid driver.

Overtaking from left is a pretty scary affair until and unless there is a clear view. Sometimes, it becomes unavoidable when a slow moving vehicles are clogging the other lanes.
manchandap is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 7th September 2022, 15:14   #298
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by acquillew View Post
Mr Gadkari has now come forward and said that seat belts will be mandatory for ALL passengers in a car.

"Union minister Nitin Gadkari said on Tuesday that from now on wearing seat belts would be mandatory for all passengers in a car, including those on rear seats, and flouting the rule will attract penalty. The announcement was made only two days after former Tata Sons chairman Cyrus Mistry died in a car accident near Mumbai, and police probe later revealed that he was not wearing a seat belt."
As the minister of Highways, when is he going to make uniform width of the national highways mandatory ? When is he going to ensure the three lane highway suddenly doesnt become two lane highway on a bridge due to poor design ?
n_naik is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 7th September 2022, 15:34   #299
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Because they deploy these cheat devices. And we have such devices freely available at throwaway prices on Amazon and Flipkart and all. (See screenshot)

We have to all collectively BE the change we want to See.
Well said Shankar! Pondering why we don't wear seatbelts at back.
To me, the rear seats are to unwind and maybe sleep. Most of the cars i have been in have the strap edges being quite sharp/irritating as they dig near the shoulder , neck area. Maybe a device like this would help.

Cyrus Mistry passes away in a road accident-img_20220907_152414.jpg

Any users?

This incident has really moved me to enforce a no seatbelt = no highway-ride rule in my family.

Would urge all members to do so, so that all T-bhp stickered cars act as role models for this important safety drive.

Drive Safe!!
Moto$apien is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 7th September 2022, 15:41   #300
BHPian

I feel That our highways are designed for a max speed of 90 to 110 kmph, wherein all these errors in design can be countered.

All luxury makers like Benz/ BMW/ VOLVO etc are giving cars & engines which are designed for high speed roads. The infrastructure in Europe/ US is made to take this.

How about these guys designing engines specifically for Indian highway conditions.

When we sit in a Indian Designed vehicle we can feel we are going above 110 kmph there are slight goose bumps.

But when I sit in these cars even on 150 kmph it doesn't alarm so much.

My thoughts.
007 Bond is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks