Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th September 2022, 20:17   #256
BHPian

Re: Cyrus Mistry passes away in a road accident

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
An excellent analyses by Mr Bob Rupani of Overdrive on his blog today. His findings are very objective and are conveyed on the basis of factual details.

https://www.overdrive.in/news-cars-a...at-went-wrong/

It pinpoints the factual human errors on the part of the SUV's occupants, the truckers on the road stretch and the persons who were responsible in designing the ill-fated road architecture. In fact, such architectures dressed to KILL are a part of many such highways and super expressways all over the country. The wide roads converging from more to less lanes without signboards shock the drivers leading to mishaps.
Good analyses and points raised. Definitely agree with the challenge posed by trucks on our highways, they don't follow any discipline at all. Some driving on the right most lane while others occupying spots in the middle or the left-most lane.

On the point around ill-fated road architecture, will be helpful to get details on how many other accidents have happened on the same spot. If it's a one-off incident, then clearly the driver is at fault coupled with the lack of overall lane indiscipline on our highways.
Old 6th September 2022, 20:21   #257
BHPian

I just want to bring up the "Elephant in the room":

- Are we BHPians going to ensure rear seat passenger seat belt from hereon? (I am sure not all of us ensure this. I was using this graphic to educate my daughter who denies to wear seat belts because, the seat belt warning doesn't sound for Kids who are very light, or when they are seated in the center)
- Are we BHPians going to enforce the 120Kmph speed limit on ourselves? (I personally always stick to speed limits almost everywhere, the 60s on ring roads, 80s wherever applicable, and 100-110 whereever there are no limits. When someone asks why drive this car below the limit, I just say the sound annoys me. I am sure this is a controversial topic, want Senior BHPians to add their thoughts and possibly take my side)
- Are we going to ask other drivers to slow down and follow defensive driving, if we are not driving? (We often get behind wheels when others drive. I once wore seatbelts at the back after seeing how aggressive the driver was)
vinya_jag is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 6th September 2022, 20:40   #258
BHPian

RIP Cyrus Mistry.

I don't buy this seatbelt argument. I mean he'd have known the capabilities & limitations of cars well enough to realise that he must wear a seat belt when it is taking to sustained speeds at around 150kmph over a period of atleast 10 mins, & that too so close to the city in such traffic.

This is a person who has been involved in the development of cars and probably driven the most varied types of cars worldwide. He surely understands them far far better than any ordinary UNHI brat enjoying with his immature friends.

Hope the matter is legally taken to its logical conclusion especially for the driver.

Last edited by WorkingGuru : 6th September 2022 at 21:03.
Old 6th September 2022, 20:50   #259
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinya_jag View Post
- Are we BHPians going to enforce the 120Kmph speed limit on ourselves?
Please don't get me wrong sir nor am I trying to portray anything negative but Indian conditions are not suited to drive beyond 90 Km/hr.

There are just too many variables -
1. Roads not properly designed. Even the EPE which I frequently drive does not have properly flattened surface. Just too bumpy. Don't drive beyond 95 on it
2. Idiots driving on wrong side.
3. People randomly taking cuts and overtake from wrong side. I too have to many a times do it as cars/trucks do not give you the way.
4. You never know from where an animal (dog or a cow) or a pedestrian might cross the road.
5. You might encounter the road being dug with no warning sign.

The list is just endless.

Last edited by sunbaj : 6th September 2022 at 21:06.
sunbaj is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 6th September 2022, 21:11   #260
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorkingGuru View Post
RIP Cyrus Mistry.

I don't buy this seatbelt argument. I mean he'd have known the capabilities & limitations of cars well enough to realise that he must wear a seat belt when it is taking to sustained speeds at around 150kmph over a period of atleast 10 mins, & that too so close to the city in such traffic.

This is a person who has been involved in the development of cars and probably driven the most varied types of cars worldwide. He surely understands them far far better than any ordinary UNHI brat enjoying with his immature friends.

Hope the matter is legally taken to its logical conclusion especially for the driver.
Do you have any source for your claims? If a passenger is asleep or sitting totally relaxed, a sudden and abrupt 100 to 0 stop should be more than enough for whiplash to snap a person's neck. A much lower speed is probably enough for a fatal outcome. He was likely asleep and probably never knew what hit him. Don't underestimate the importance of seatbelts.

Last edited by supermax : 6th September 2022 at 21:12.
supermax is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th September 2022, 21:25   #261
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinya_jag View Post
- Are we BHPians going to ensure rear seat passenger seat belt from hereon?
- Are we BHPians going to enforce the 120Kmph speed limit on ourselves?
- Are we going to ask other drivers to slow down and follow defensive driving, if we are not driving?
I don't know about others but I usually do all three of the above.
  1. If I'm in the car, everyone should wear the seat belt. I'm pretty good at nagging so most of the time people do. If I'm driving, unless people fasten the seat belt, I won't move.
  2. Yes, 80 in most of the places, 100 in some select 6 lane highways. Found almost no difference in the time taken to travel, in lower speeds, it is easier to maintain average speed. Easier on the car and me, the driver.
  3. Well, I'm pretty good at nagging.
prajwalmr62 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 6th September 2022, 21:30   #262
BHPian

Here you go, something that I expected soon- MoRTH announces wearing rear seat belts will be mandatory soon- https://www.indiatoday.in/amp/india/...204-2022-09-06
Old 6th September 2022, 21:34   #263
Distinguished - BHPian

Govt to ban seat belt alarm stoppers, a good riddance if properly implemented…

https://www.hindustantimes.com/india...460056548.html
CEF_Beasts is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 6th September 2022, 21:36   #264
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supermax View Post
Do you have any source for your claims?
Its a working theory.

Quote:
If a passenger is asleep or sitting totally relaxed...
I doubt anyone would be totally relaxed when their car is weaving thru highway traffic at such high average speeds.

Quote:
...a sudden and abrupt 100 to 0 stop should be more than enough for whiplash to snap a person's neck. A much lower speed is probably enough for a fatal outcome...
Your statement explains my point. When an ordinary lay person like you and I can understand this, I'm 100% sure that a man who has been involved closely in developing a passenger car would surely be conscious of this.

Such people are trained exceptionally well to keep themself safe.

Quote:
He was likely asleep and probably never knew what hit him.
Pray God nobody gets such dangerously careless friends then.

Quote:
Don't underestimate the importance of seatbelts.
Exactly my point, OTOH I think it's quite possible that he could've just as well have unbuckled the seatbelt while struggling & jostling within the car.

All I'm saying is that, more perspectives should be looked into.
Old 6th September 2022, 21:41   #265
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CEF_Beasts View Post
Govt to ban seat belt alarm stoppers, a good riddance if properly implemented…
I'm sort of conflicted about this. Firstly, there's always a way to disable those alarms and these guys will figure it out - it's just gonna make it more complicated than buying a piece of plastic from Amazon.

If someone is willing to go to such lengths to not be safe, it seems like a very good idea to let natural selection take its course. Why waste taxpayer money to keep such people alive?
McLaren Rulez is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 6th September 2022, 21:51   #266
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjun Reddy View Post

NDTV.
‘Apart from this, the three-lane road suddenly changes into two lanes on the bridge on the Mumbai-Ahmedabad highway, which is also believed to be one of the causes of the accident.’

https://www.ndtv.com/india-news/on-c...-crash-3316613

https://Youtu.be/1KhnFhOGU1c
I had been on this road 3 times in past 2 years and yess; the road suddenly changes from 3 lane to 2 at at-least couple of places on route to and fro. I had tough times to judge while coming back around 4th June but was able to control the vehicle ( I was driving Crysta) since my speed was around 80-85 kmph. (I prefer to drive since rushing will not save more than an hour in your life.)

I definitely had the feeling of just in time.

Can understand what had happened there.

More over these spots remain like a Gia since years and just no one cares about the worst consequences until it happens.

I really feel sorry for the departed souls because of these technical / design faults on roads.

I also feel we are a bit late to develop the road infrastructures.

Sadly we lost a promising businessman of this country

Sadgati labho ����

Last edited by Guru_Shikhar : 6th September 2022 at 21:53.
Guru_Shikhar is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 6th September 2022, 21:52   #267
Kln
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supermax View Post
I'm genuinely curious why the answer to this isn't plainly apparent to you already. Why would you not think of making a change for safety, a change you have 100% control over, right away, and then battle for changes which others control? Sure, safe roads are a very important thing, but surely you know that having safe roads doesn't on the least make seatbelts unnecessary? If anything, seatbelts will be even more important with better roads due to even higher speeds on great roads. The point of waiting to belt up till the quality of roads improves makes zero sense.

You are perhaps misunderstanding my point - I specifically am wondering why one before the other. Why not both, is my query. Holding authorities responsible AND changing our attitudes - both these are valid responses to the tragedy. One cannot make do with the lackadaisical attitude of authorities and solely hope and wish we affect change only at personal level!
Kln is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th September 2022, 22:04   #268
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorkingGuru View Post
This is a person who has been involved in the development of cars and probably driven the most varied types of cars worldwide. He surely understands them far far better than any ordinary UNHI brat enjoying with his immature friend.
Cyrus Mistry was hardly even connected to development of cars, forget vehicle safety. He was a civil engineer and spent his initial corporate years in construction. And no offense meant to anyone in the industry, I myself have come across only a small fraction of the people working in the industry right from head honchos to engineers who are passionate about cars and value safety features. The rest are just there to finish their work and draw salary. In my own company of educated engineers people hardly wear helmets. Seat belts only in the front or as far as the alarm goes. So this is quite expected.
audioholic is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 6th September 2022, 22:10   #269
BHPian

I really want to understand the compelling reason why the government has been hesitant in making wearing backseat seatbelt compulsory, even though there's so much eagerness for 6 airbags etc.

If not anything else, the law abiding citizens will start following the rule. And then there will be others who will follow the rule to stay clear of cops and avoid hefty fines.

Last edited by ajayc123 : 6th September 2022 at 22:11.
Old 6th September 2022, 22:25   #270
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajayc123 View Post
I really want to understand the compelling reason why the government has been hesitant in making wearing backseat seatbelt compulsory, even though there's so much eagerness for 6 airbags etc.

If not anything else, the law abiding citizens will start following the rule.
Looks like Gadkariji has already issued a statement related to this. So there might be a new face to the seatbelt rule due to this.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks