Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th September 2022, 17:01   #166
Team-BHP Support

Re: Cyrus Mistry passes away in a road accident

Quote:
Originally Posted by androdev View Post
Would the ADAS or similar safety equipment sold currently in India help avoid such fatal accidents?
Level 1 & 2 ADAS, no.

Even at level 2, where some of features are semi-autonomous, they're programmed to put the driver in control if certain conditions are not met.

For example, on the MG Astor with Level 2 ADAS, its Lane Assist System can't autonomously handle curves sharper than a ~250m radius-of-curvature, and also disengages with a warning if it detects a hands-off-steering-wheel situation lasting more than 20 seconds.

The Speed Assist and Auto Emergency Braking systems won't slam the brakes beyond a certain threshold to avoid creating further dangerous situations (e.g. rear endings).

ADAS is not a replacement for driver skill and attention (or lack thereof), and all such systems go to great lengths to emphasize the point.

Level 3 ADAS and beyond may bring in higher degrees of autonomous intervention in the future.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 5th September 2022, 17:18   #167
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by djs View Post
And Google Maps 3D view shows elevation variation which may have hindered visibility of driver.

Attachment 2355002
Google Maps does not show elevation of bridges correctly. It goes with topographic data which doesn't include bridges. The bridge certainly wouldn't sink like that.
rsidd is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th September 2022, 17:21   #168
BHPian

Its sad to see such outcome. RIP Sir.

Indeed a very straightforward, pushy and progressive leader. I have attended one conference where he had participated in the discussion and topic was something like "India potential''

As suggested by many BHPians, indeed the road design factor in this accident and as well as in many other accidents seems to be the amplifying factor for the fatalities.

Best to keep your nerve controlled and maintain speed <80KMPH in any Indian highways.

Last edited by UD17 : 5th September 2022 at 17:22. Reason: Spelling correction
Old 5th September 2022, 17:53   #169
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

This shocking news came yesterday. May the departed should rest in peace.

Learnings :
- Always wear a seat belt. No matter where you are sitting in the car.
- No matter how advanced the machine you are driving; if you are not controlling your
nerves for speed, you will pay back. 130 KMPH on Indian roads is an invitation to
the unfortunate.
- For me wearing the seatbelt is compulsory before starting the trip, even for the daily
commutes to the office. I was not forcing the rear passengers sitting in my car to buckle
up but this incident taught me the lesson and henceforth I will make that compulsory
too.
- We are living in India. Apart from how beautiful our country is, we are driving on one of
the most dangerous, strangely designed, and poorly maintained roads in the world
(comparable countries).
satish.gawai is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 5th September 2022, 18:05   #170
BHPian

We all know the solution to the chronic problem of fatal road accidents:

1. Better roads
2. Stringent requirements for driving tests
3. Stringent enforcement

It is so so easy to prevent the deaths. But will the country ever do it? I have no hope whatsoever.
Old 5th September 2022, 18:20   #171
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V.Narayan View Post
Gosh! Can we not take anything with a dose of light humour. Can we not laugh at our selves. Let's leave this "we are always so offended about the slightest thing" to the rest of social media please. It's becoming a global malaise.
Two gentlemen have passed away in a terrible road accident.

Doesn’t appear to be an opportune moment (or thread) to indulge in humour or to laugh at ourselves.

Let us demonstrate some class as a community.

A 2₹ worth opinion.
GoBlue is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 5th September 2022, 18:21   #172
BHPian

Took some screenshots from a new channel footage and as seen below, rear passengers might have hit the interiors of the car with lot of force causing internal damage and causing death.

RIP sir.

Cyrus Mistry passes away in a road accident-screenshot_20220905170626.png

Cyrus Mistry passes away in a road accident-screenshot_20220905170606.png

It requires a lot of mindset change among every car user to wear seat belts for safety. Until then, the onus is on the drivers to maintain safe speeds, with which he/she can control the car in unexpected circumstances.

Few minutes of delay to the destination is much better than not reaching at all.
chaitanyakrish is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 5th September 2022, 18:38   #173
BHPian

Hello everyone, this is my first reply on this forum and I never imagined it would be with regards to such a tragedy. Yet, I believe I may never type a better one during my time here. As a child I was never told by my parents or anyone I knew to wear a seatbelt. Not in our car, not in anyone's car! My driving license was issued in 2007 and I have been a culprit of driving without a seatbelt for about 4 years, forget asking anyone else to wear them. I am lucky to still be alive. Fast forward 2012, first day in the US a colleague came over to pick me up and we would head to work together. When he noticed I wasn't wearing a seatbelt, he asked me "Do you hold a drivers license?" to which I replied "Yes". Politely he asked me to wear the seatbelt. The look on his face I believe was one of disgust. Why was I not taught to wear a seatbelt? Why was I allowed to hold a driving license if I didn't have my seatbelt on?

99% of the people around me including my wife, my mother, in-laws friends and family do not wear a seatbelt until I insist. Forget wearing seatbelt in the rear, not even the front passenger wants to do it. I have heard excuses ranging from "Nothing will happen at this speed", "You're desi not firang" (firang = slang for foreigner) to "If you're destined to die you will die seatbelt or not" . I hope we learn from this and not treat it like another fleeting memory of news. Ignorance might be bliss but ignorance regarding road safety is death. Thou shalt not wear seatbelt thou shalt die.
Ishallownabmw is offline   (24) Thanks
Old 5th September 2022, 18:44   #174
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohan265 View Post
I am sorry, but this outlook is outdated in most developed countries. I have been trained by crash researchers/road engineers from developed countries and have regular interactions with them. On looking at this crash, their first approach will be to improve the road design by installing crash barriers, signage, road marking, road channeling etc. Most developed countries have moved on to the Safe System approach which has a primary principle that "All humans make mistakes and it is the duty of the infrastructure/vehicle to reduce injury severity". We focus too much on human error and never go to the root cause. Seat belt usage is no doubt important. However, the severity of the impact would have been drastically reduced with a well-designed crash barrier.
I agree with you that Safe System approach is the right one. However it does not work in India because India is not a developed country . One has to be pragmatic. "When in Rome do as the Romans do".

If I'm driving on the Autobahn I'll be sure that there will be warnings for broken down trucks and they will have their lights on or authorities will close that lane with an advance warning. When I'm in India I have to fend for myself and assume that trucks will be parked in any lane, in the night, without hazards or any lights.

Ultimately you are responsible for keeping yourself alive.
StopUnderrides is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th September 2022, 18:54   #175
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohan265 View Post
On looking at this crash, their first approach will be to improve the road design by installing crash barriers, signage, road marking, road channeling etc. Most developed countries have moved on to the Safe System approach which has a primary principle that "All humans make mistakes and it is the duty of the infrastructure/vehicle to reduce injury severity". We focus too much on human error and never go to the root cause. Seat belt usage is no doubt important. However, the severity of the impact would have been drastically reduced with a well-designed crash barrier.[/list]
Looking at the aerial view of the crash site, I thought this death would have been avoided had there been a steel crash barrier usually found ahead of such concrete structures.
Old 5th September 2022, 19:02   #176
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPR View Post
Lesson learnt:
Rear passengers must always wear seat belt, be it any car. It is high time that government impose rule of continuous alarm for rear passengers not wearing rear seat belts too.
I think we are going about this the wrong way. We really shouldn't be expecting the government to interfere in each and everything. Why should they impose a rule of continuous alarm? Why not just have a PSA, like that Mukesh tambaku ad that airs before movies? Lets all collectively do our bit for the cause by starting the change within our own spheres of influence. Do your family and friends buckle up in the back seat in your car? If not, start there. If they already do, that's great, but try to get them also to do the same, and you'll have already made a difference.

/S
supermax is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th September 2022, 19:03   #177
BHPian

Seat belts: when I took the delivery of my MS D'zire the showroom guys 'tucked in' the seat belt holders deep in the fold of the rear seat while putting on the seat covers.

When I told them not to that, I got some incredulous looks.

And even now whenever I take my car to cleaners they ask me wheter to tuck those in so not to be a 'nuisance' !
Drkalgaonkar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th September 2022, 19:05   #178
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosfactor View Post
Looking at the aerial view of the crash site, I thought this death would have been avoided had there been a steel crash barrier usually found ahead of such concrete structures.
Steel crash barricade, tyre barrier, plastic water tanks or a properly designed crumple barrier.

There's so much that could have been done to not have a concrete barrier directly in the path like that. It's just complete apathy.

Last edited by Vid6639 : 5th September 2022 at 19:42.
Vid6639 is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 5th September 2022, 19:11   #179
Senior - BHPian

Finally some press on bad design of road.

Also there is a CCTV footage of the GLC passing the RTO check point.

NDTV.
‘Apart from this, the three-lane road suddenly changes into two lanes on the bridge on the Mumbai-Ahmedabad highway, which is also believed to be one of the causes of the accident.’

https://www.ndtv.com/india-news/on-c...-crash-3316613

Last edited by Arjun Reddy : 5th September 2022 at 19:26. Reason: Added YouTube link.
Arjun Reddy is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 5th September 2022, 19:13   #180
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaitanyakrish View Post
Took some screenshots from a new channel footage and as seen below, rear passengers might have hit the interiors of the car with lot of force causing internal damage and causing death.

RIP sir.

Attachment 2355297

Attachment 2355298

It requires a lot of mindset change among every car user to wear seat belts for safety. Until then, the onus is on the drivers to maintain safe speeds, with which he/she can control the car in unexpected circumstances.

Few minutes of delay to the destination is much better than not reaching at all.
These photos have made me rethink some of my initial assumptions in this case. In fact, they have raised some more questions in my mind. Thank you for sharing the snaps.
Can you share the link for the entire video?

Quote:
Originally Posted by StopUnderrides View Post
I agree with you that Safe System approach is the right one. However it does not work in India because India is not a developed country . One has to be pragmatic. "When in Rome do as the Romans do". .
I agree. The Safe System Approach will not work in India if we continue to have this attitude.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StopUnderrides View Post
When I'm in India I have to fend for myself and assume that trucks will be parked in any lane, in the night, without hazards or any lights.

Ultimately you are responsible for keeping yourself alive.
I agree here too. Continue being responsible for your own safety. This applies even to developed countries.
However, at the same time, we should also work on improving the overall infrastructure so that we reach a point where we can be relaxed knowing that there are checks in place even if we make mistakes.
Rohan265 is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks