Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th March 2023, 23:35   #1
BHPian

Centre proposes replacing Steel Barriers with Bamboo to prevent road mishaps

Hi friends,

While I was just browsing on a lazy weekend, I came across an article about Bamboo based side crash guards along highways. Now, I've always seen steel railings for the purpose and I still wonder why some eco-friendly and economical option was not thought of yet. The enlightenment occurred when I read this news article. Though I'm not sure how practical or true this option is, it's interesting and appealing, at least to me.
Please give your views and suggest other possible options if possible.

https://www.indiatimes.com/trending/...nt-533411.html

Respected mods, I tried, but couldn't find anything related to this on the forum. Please merge it with any existing thread if you feel so. This is my first attempt to start a thread. Advance apologies from my side if I'm wrong anywhere

Happy and safe motoring to all

Last edited by Aditya : 6th March 2023 at 22:27. Reason: Edited for better readability
sudanmohit is offline   (4) Thanks Received Infraction
Old 5th March 2023, 09:19   #2
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)
re: Centre proposes replacing Steel Barriers with Bamboo to prevent road mishaps

I saw that these barriers are now installed at various parts of the Sigur Ghat hairpin bends going from Masinagudi to Ooty. I have no idea how good or efficient these are though.
Attached Thumbnails
Centre proposes replacing Steel Barriers with Bamboo to prevent road mishaps-ca9aa322ef5344d38b2ddda2f5853977.jpeg  

shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th March 2023, 09:29   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Centre proposes replacing Steel Barriers with Bamboo to prevent road mishaps

Don't care as long as it is able to withstand an 18 wheeler hurtling at it at 100km/h.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
I saw that these barriers are now installed at various parts of the Sigur Ghat hairpin bends going from Masinagudi to Ooty. I have no idea how good or efficient these are though.
Is this one of those 'roller' barriers? Ones that guide the vehicle to a slow stop than hitting it and stopping.
DicKy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th March 2023, 09:34   #4
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DicKy View Post

Is this one of those 'roller' barriers? Ones that guide the vehicle to a slow stop than hitting it and stopping.
They do look like roller barriers. How effective they are in our situation in India I dont know.
Old 5th March 2023, 14:20   #5
Senior - BHPian

Re: Centre proposes replacing Steel Barriers with Bamboo to prevent road mishaps

I just hope this doesn't result in overexploitation of bamboo cultivation in the name of promoting employment. We are already dealing with the bane of excess sugarcane cultivation.
fhdowntheline is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th March 2023, 14:55   #6
BHPian

Re: Centre proposes replacing Steel Barriers with Bamboo to prevent road mishaps

Though I'm no expert, but I believe that anything the government/authorities allow to be put on highways would be checked and rechecked. All materials to be used must be meeting minimum requirements related to strength, deformation etc. If Bamboo meets these requirements, I'll anyday choose it over metal. The advantage of it being, eco-friendly, biodegradable and more recyclable is above anything else.
I'm surely concerned about over cutting of Bamboo trees. So government should ensure that if this idea becomes mainstream, then new Bamboo trees should be planted for this purpose
Old 5th March 2023, 15:23   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DicKy View Post
Don't care as long as it is able to withstand an 18 wheeler hurtling at it at 100km/h.
Do existing steel barriers withstand this? I doubt it.

Seems to me that this is very much an idea --- ie, it has not yet been thought out, let alone researched, investigated and tested. Should not be tried in real life without thorough investigation.

Doesn't bamboo splinter horribly?
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 5th March 2023, 15:35   #8
BHPian

Wouldn't the bamboo loose strength and disintegrate over time, resulting in replacements? If it does, will they do it in time?
corvus corax is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th March 2023, 17:33   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Do existing steel barriers withstand this? I doubt it.

Seems to me that this is very much an idea --- ie, it has not yet been thought out, let alone researched, investigated and tested. Should not be tried in real life without thorough investigation.

Doesn't bamboo splinter horribly?
It's not using Bamboo as sole ingredient. It's Bamboo with coir(that is a cushioning shock absorber) along with cement. As per the article there are some areas in North East where beema Bamboo is used in some way for similar purpose (though I don't have details of the same).

Moreover anything that would be used must pass minimum requirements regarding strength, shock absorbing capacity and wearing with time and other factors. The cost is quoted as about one third of current options while being a green alternative is a plus.
I believe we should surely wait till (and if ) more details come out. Afterall it's coming from a mouth of a politician and elections are nearing us
sudanmohit is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 6th March 2023, 13:19   #10

The bamboo used are special grade(Bambusa Balcooa), treated with creosote oil and coated with High Density Polyethylene (HDPE).

The bamboo barrier has been extensively tested at the National Automotive Test Tracks (NATRAX) in Pithampur, Indore and was rated as Class 1 during the Fire Rating Test conducted at Central Building Research Institute (CBRI) in Roorkee.

Apart from the usual environment safety benefits, in case of high speed accidents bamboo will bend providing some eleasticity thus saving the lives as compared to steel barriers with have caused terrible after effects by ruining the car and passengers inside them.
navneet0909 is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 6th March 2023, 13:31   #11
Senior - BHPian

World’s first bamboo crash barrier installed in Maharashtra

Authorities have installed what is claimed to be the world’s first crash barrier made from bamboo on a highway in Maharashtra.

Centre proposes replacing Steel Barriers with Bamboo to prevent road mishaps-screenshot-20230306-132931.jpg

The 200-meter-long bamboo crash barrier named 'Bahu Balli' has been installed on the Vani-Warora highway in Vidarbh. It is made from a species of bamboo called Bambusa Balcoa, which is treated with creosote oil and coated with recycled High-Density Poly Ethylene.

The Bahu Balli barrier has been rigorously tested at the National Automotive Test Tracks (NATRAX) in Pithampur. The Central Building Research Institute (CBRI) Roorkee has awarded it a 'Class 1' fire rating as well. The barrier has also received the Indian Road Congress accreditation.

The bamboo crash barrier is said to be a perfect alternative to steel. Its recycling value is said to be 50-70% compared to steel barriers, which is 30-50%.

Source: ET Auto

Link to Team-BHP News

Last edited by TusharK : 6th March 2023 at 13:32.
TusharK is online now   (21) Thanks
Old 6th March 2023, 14:41   #12
BHPian

Looks like a pointless “first in the world” to me.
I’m quite sure several crores of “research” would have gone into it.
What is the purpose of this “crash barrier”?
How safe/ strong is it when compared to standard steel barriers?
Can it absorb the impact of any vehicle heavier/ faster than a bicycle crashing into it?
(I understand the purpose of steel barriers is to absorb and diffuse the impact and get deformed in the process).
How long will it last under the sun and rains when compared to steel?
one-77 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 6th March 2023, 15:25   #13

This is crazy, as bamboos are know to split with slightest longitudinal stress. Imagine, if that happens in case of an impact.

It can split and pierce right into the vehicles and/or occupants instead of being a barrier.
elishae is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th March 2023, 15:42   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TusharK View Post

The 200-meter-long bamboo crash barrier named 'Bahu Balli' has been installed on the Vani-Warora highway in Vidarbh. It is made from a species of bamboo called Bambusa Balcoa, which is treated with creosote oil and coated with recycled High-Density Poly Ethylene.
A good reason why wood and bamboo makes for a poor material to crash into is that they splinter into smaller sharp pieces and bamboo being strong will do more harm than good.
Sankar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th March 2023, 16:46   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TusharK View Post

The Bahu Balli barrier has been rigorously tested at the National Automotive Test Tracks (NATRAX) in Pithampur. The Central Building Research Institute (CBRI) Roorkee has awarded it a 'Class 1' fire rating as well. The barrier has also received the Indian Road Congress accreditation.
To all the people who are giving expert comments regarding the bamboo splintering and getting crushed, I bring to notice this one sentence from TusharK's post.
If a nationally accredited government body has "rigorously tested" the product, then shouldn't it be acceptable to us?

Just reading the word "bamboo" and everybody is commenting on the cons of the input material, without considering that a lot of additional materials are added to make the final product capable of withstanding the rigors of the road conditions in India.

As an analogy, I will give the example of natural vs vulcanized rubber, addition of just a bit of sulphur to the former changes the properties of rubber so drastically that it can withstand even the crazy workloads on an F1 track.

Discussion and debate is the objective of a forum. But shouldn't the debate points be valid?
kosjam is offline   (42) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks