Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st December 2023, 10:01   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Tata Harrier & Safari receive first-ever Bharat-NCAP 5-star rating

Quote:
Originally Posted by pravint View Post
Shouldn't BNCAP test the "BASE Model" ? the model here in test is Adventure model, which is almost top end.
As far as I remember the car has to be base model as per specifications of BNCAP or GNCAP.
Did this change in between, if not this crash test is invalid.
It did change. Since July 2022 for GNCAP the rating is no longer an attribute of a variant but of a model itself. And it takes into account the distribution of safety equipment over different variants.

Eg. front and side impact is on variant with basic safety spec but side pole impact must be on a variant with optional curtains (otherwise not allowed) and only if they are available on a minimum % of produced units.

It is not very consumer-centric. More aimed at pushing the industry to develop their cars to fit these technologies but not helpful to a consumer looking at the rating. That’s something I wish BNCAP had changed.

P. S. Even for pre-2022 GNCAP the rule was never base variant but a variant with standard safety equipment (eg. they did i10 Sportz, Seltos HTK, Jazz VX etc). Except the knee airbag all BNCAP-related equipment is standard on the Safari/Harrier so there should be no problem.

Last edited by ron178 : 21st December 2023 at 10:03.
ron178 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 21st December 2023, 10:01   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ph03n!x View Post
While this is fantastic news, and expected - I wonder why. Both these vehicles were already rated by GNCAP.

Why not pick unrated models, or even facelifts of rated models? Isn't this a waste of taxpayer money, reiterating the GNCAP rating - when BNCAP itself is based on GNCAP?
All Testing bodies globally are autonomous and car manufacturers have to give away their cars for testing. No NCAP uses their / tax payers money to buy cars and then test. Its an investment from car companies.
Old 21st December 2023, 10:07   #18
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Now that is a good way to start. With the Tata's 5star is a default thing nowadays.

I wanted these ratings also attached along with the car during selling time which can promote more sale. Then only people will ask Hyudai/Kia and Maruti dealers where is the BNCAP paper for this specific model.

I hope all models will be tested and let our Indians enjoy some safe cars.
thebikemaster is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st December 2023, 10:10   #19

So happy to see the first tests from BNCAP. Safe cars for India will get a boost with this. I hope it also becomes mandatory either by law or by demand soon. Will be interesting to see how the Honda cars especially 5th Gen City and Elevate fare and if they take this up or not as 5th Gen is not even tested at GNCAP. Right time to get this done as it will further solidify the good begining Elevate has received.
vineetklkrn is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st December 2023, 10:30   #20
Senior - BHPian

Thats good news, shows that Tata has continued making and pushing safe cars on Indian roads.

If the build platform for Harrier and Safari models both pre facelift and post facelift is same and there have been no changes to the safety equipments, why is the GNCAP and BNCAP ratings applicable only for the facelifted models?
Old 21st December 2023, 10:59   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoBabyGo View Post
Hi, I am very much interested to know BHARAT NCAP result of 2023 KIA Seltos and upcoming KIA Sonet. I am hopeful that these two will get 5 Star rating like Verna (at Global NCAP).
I doubt. At best, they can get 4 star.
Sufficient_shop is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st December 2023, 11:11   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Please correct me if I'm wrong - the vehicle is sponsored by the manufacturer, but what about the test infrastructure, equipment, dummies and barriers that will need replacement after each test, salaries for personnel involved, etc.?

If that too is sponsored, then the tests are pointless/ paid for. If they are not, then it's our tax money - call it IT or road tax or GST
Ok fair enough, I'd read / understood your post as referring to the cost of the vehicle.

I'm happy to have a part of my tax money being used for tangible, result based crash testing. And if it helps in improving overall safety of Indian cars, I'm all for it if I am being honest.

India has unacceptable levels of vehicular deaths on our roads so anything that contributes towards bringing it down is welcome to me.

Peace.

Last edited by digitalnirvana : 21st December 2023 at 11:31.
digitalnirvana is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 21st December 2023, 11:15   #23
BHPian

This is great news and in line with GNCAP results. Now TATA needs to fix the niggles ASAP and have tight quality control.

On a different topic, I want to see BNCAP results of Maruti cars just to validate the assessment process. Also, this needs to be shown in every car model in the showroom before a buyer makes the decision and purchase.
newenergy is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 21st December 2023, 11:24   #24
BHPian

Did anyone notice a part of cabin light flying like a projectile within cabin towards occupant? (See from 1:03 onwards)

Thilak29 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 21st December 2023, 11:42   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashdel View Post
All Testing bodies globally are autonomous and car manufacturers have to give away their cars for testing. No NCAP uses their / tax payers money to buy cars and then test. Its an investment from car companies.
Guess you missed this post, mate...
Quote:
Please correct me if I'm wrong - the vehicle is sponsored by the manufacturer, but what about the test infrastructure, equipment, dummies and barriers that will need replacement after each test, salaries for personnel involved, etc.?

If that too is sponsored, then the tests are pointless/ paid for. If they are not, then it's our tax money - call it IT or road tax or GST
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalnirvana View Post
Ok fair enough, I'd read / understood your post as referring to the cost of the vehicle.

I'm happy to have a part of my tax money being used for tangible, result based crash testing. And if it helps in improving overall safety of Indian cars, I'm all for it if I am being honest.

India has unacceptable levels of vehicular deaths on our roads so anything that contributes towards bringing it down is welcome to me.

Peace.
See, I'm not picking a bone on the results - but this test was published hardly two months ago -

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/road-...rash-test.html (2023 Tata Harrier, Safari score a 5-star rating in Global NCAP crash test)

Wouldn't it have been better had BNCAP tested, say, the New Nexon for instance - am sure that you would have seen similar results? Nexon has much higher sale/ reach too!
ph03n!x is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 21st December 2023, 12:00   #26
Senior - BHPian

Let us wait for more cars to be tested but to start with BNCAP's rating system is a bit different than GNCAP.

Source:
Tata Harrier & Safari receive first-ever Bharat-NCAP 5-star rating-bncap_star_def.png

Observations :
- With increasing stars the bodyshell/occupant protection increases with every star from marginal to excellent.
- The safety assist technologies start from 3 star onwards so any vehicle without them can't score more than 2 stars
- This ranking, to me, seems easier to understand for us than other NCAPs which are a lot more technical and one needs to invest some time to understand the details.
- The purely voluntary nature is a good thing as it would involve buyer's attention and discussion looking at various models displaying different stars, coupled with easy to understand and proportional ratings, improve buyer's knowledge.

It might not get the most advanced safety systems to us but it will be more effective in raising the safety quotient and understanding of the entire market.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pravint View Post
Shouldn't BNCAP test the "BASE Model" ? the model here in test is Adventure model, which is almost top end.
Not necessarily but the answer to your question lies in page 4 of the factsheet also available in post#1 of this thread

Quote:
While this is fantastic news, and expected - I wonder why. Both these vehicles were already rated by GNCAP.
Since GNCAP for India will cease to exist after 31st December 2023, we're in a transition period hence the confusion.
The procedure is listed here and here's an excerpt from BNCAP:
Name:  bncap_proc_01.png
Views: 362
Size:  50.9 KB

Last edited by shancz : 21st December 2023 at 12:13. Reason: formatting, corrections
shancz is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 21st December 2023, 12:02   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thilak29 View Post
Did anyone notice a part of cabin light flying like a projectile within cabin towards occupant? (See from 1:03 onwards)

https://Youtu.be/DFQIpOg2vzg?t=63
Yeah I noticed that the side cabin light flying just past the co-passenger dummy's head and out side the front left window. This was because of the side curtain airbag deployment.
bobbyblr is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 21st December 2023, 12:07   #28
BHPian

I am curious, do they take ADAS into account? IMO ADAS brings a lot of value, especially in highway driving.
Old 21st December 2023, 12:14   #29
BHPian

Quote:

I am not sure whether manufactures have to pay some fees for these tests or government is sponsoring the test expenses. I will consider this as 'setting expectations right' from the new BNCAP crash test scores.

I think this is the most simplest way to prove that this new test is at par or better than the most recent test conducted by the GNCAP.

For that reason, even if it is tax payers money, it is worth spending.
Sreejith V is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st December 2023, 12:39   #30
BHPian

The video is edited abruptly. They don't show what happens after this point. Does the car roll over (as it looks like at the last second before the cut)? Shady editing.

Tata Harrier & Safari receive first-ever Bharat-NCAP 5-star rating-cleanshot-20231221-12.35.092x.png
Sufficient_shop is offline   (17) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks