Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th February 2008, 13:01   #31

well now u guys have got me confused.. should i or should i not.. go for a second hand LPG fitted car!!???
Old 25th February 2008, 14:43   #32
BHPian

@phamilyman and @jaysmokesleaves - You are both right in your own ways !

Ok now getting back to the topic, do you think that these incidents will take a toll on the existing sales of Wagon R Lpg based cars ? I am saying this because many people have come and ask me as to how safe is Wagon R Lpg and should one go for it ? The car bursting into flames reports have really scared the s**t out of them it seems !

I also believe that there were plans of an Lpg based santro , will the same be shelved ?
Old 25th February 2008, 20:28   #33
RCS

voido_kun:
my suggestion is ... don't go for a second hand kit. a second hand car with a new authorized kit should be your target. it's safer to replace the existing gas kit in the second hand car with a new authorised one. and, insist on having the new kit fitted in your presence. btw, the gas kit too requires servicing frequently, as does your car !!! follow recommended servicing schedules for BOTH the car and the gas kit .... and all would be fine. i have been using one since almost 3 years in my 800 STD and everythingz gone well so far. no complaints.
Old 3rd March 2008, 11:11   #34

Thanks RCS..!! But i think i have typed my message wrongly, as i was wondering whether to buy a Second hand car which has LPG on it.
Old 4th March 2008, 11:38   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voido_kun View Post
Thanks RCS..!! But i think i have typed my message wrongly, as i was wondering whether to buy a Second hand car which has LPG on it.
I don't see a problem with buying a second hand car fitted with LPG as long as there are no problems with the LPG kit and it is an RTO authorised one.

I've got both my cars on LPG, the Wagon R and Accent. Have not faced any major problems in the last 3 yrs. Only thing is after the car is serviced by the dealers, I always need to get the engine tuning done for LPG, cos something the servicing chaps do keeps buggering up the LPG settings. Planning on selling them in the next 2-3 months or so.
Old 14th March 2008, 12:54   #36
Senior - BHPian

Check before Buying

Voido...there is no problem in buying a 2nd hand LPG fitted car... i have my alto with LPG since 2005, more than 25K since LPG.. no issues... have hammered the car around potholes, rough patches and etc... just do a few checks brfore buying a used LPG car... just like any other

on the issue of LPG fitted kits bursting, I am surprised... If anyone of non-believers come along with me in my LPG car you may get scared to death.. not speed.. but the abuse , i throw my car around corners, bumps and etc... trust me..LPG kits cant explode by themselves... you need to do the periodic checks to keep it trigger happy...

last week i saw a inch of rubber connecting the soleniod to intake manifold was slightly abrased after 3 years...got it immediately replaced... u need to take care (probably XTRA) in case of a lpg car..thats all..

PS- Heard of LPG Splendour, Enfield, ??? I have seen them in my place..!!
Old 14th March 2008, 14:31   #37
Senior - BHPian

A couple of weeks back, a ford icon in my society burst into flames from under the bonnet. Luckily people managed to get out in time. Again the vehicle was running on LPG (not sure whether it was certified etc.)

One of my friends who had fitted an LPG kit in his car used to get his vehicle serviced every three months and get all the fittings of the LPG kit tightened/serviced. He said the fittings tend to leak gas after a while and need to be maintained properly at regular intervals even for the certified kits.

So it may be such gas leakage that causes the fire.
Old 14th March 2008, 16:31   #38
Senior - BHPian

Duh !! And I sit and smoke in a friends LPG installed car. God knows how long since it has been checked. I thank my stars now after reading this thread .
Old 14th March 2008, 16:41   #39
Senior - BHPian

yaar, like in my ooold post, its primarily an issue with LPG flammability. and its staying longer, being heavier than air.
Old 14th March 2008, 17:20   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voido_kun View Post
well now u guys have got me confused.. should i or should i not.. go for a second hand LPG fitted car!!???
that is almost a stopping factor, but if you can trust the person from whom you will be buying, please do. But please get the install thoroughly checked before you use it. BTW, what car are you planning to buy ? Japanese cars have more tolerance towards these things
Old 15th March 2008, 21:03   #41
Senior - BHPian

RjStyle, as a LPG user I recomend NEVER even do that fun. Fumes can be deadly and mostly invisible. Heard of Guadlaraja in mexico. Google for that city name + gas disaster, you will never think of doing it agian.
Old 17th March 2008, 10:43   #42

@ esteem_lover,

Thanks, bro. And thank u all other BHPians for all the info.

I was considering a Honda city (old Model) which was fitted with an LPG kit. I am saying "was" becos now i want to go for something conventionally simple... aka a simple petrol car in arnd 1.5 lacs.. i dunno on wht i can get my hands on??
Old 26th March 2008, 09:01   #43
BHPian

Hi,

There is an incident reported in todays malayalam news papers about an LPG fitted car caught fire near a petrol bunk at Alleppey. The report says, the owner felt as if the gas is finished and was driving to the bunk. The bunk staff noticed fumes from beneath the bonnet and alarmed the driver. He stopped tha car some 10 m before the dispenser and got down to check. The car caught fire at that moment. Fortunately the only person travelling came out, and it was not so close to the dispenser to cause a big mishap. The car is seen in pictures, a Wagon R (2002 model from the reg. no, so LPG is fitted later).
Image courtesy: malayalamanorama.
Attached Thumbnails
How Safe are the LPG / CNG-equipped Cars?-car_alpy.jpeg  

Last edited by abhilash_iv : 26th March 2008 at 09:08. Reason: added image
Old 26th March 2008, 09:20   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhilash_iv View Post
Hi,

There is an incident reported in todays malayalam news papers about an LPG fitted car caught fire near a petrol bunk at Alleppey. The report says, the owner felt as if the gas is finished and was driving to the bunk. The bunk staff noticed fumes from beneath the bonnet and alarmed the driver. He stopped tha car some 10 m before the dispenser and got down to check. The car caught fire at that moment. Fortunately the only person travelling came out, and it was not so close to the dispenser to cause a big mishap. The car is seen in pictures, a Wagon R (2002 model from the reg. no, so LPG is fitted later).
Image courtesy: malayalamanorama.
Do you think that LPG was the reason the car caught fire ? Please let us not jump into conclusions. Even a petrol car will burn just the same if your electricals aren't right. FYI, the LPG tank is much much more safer than the petrol tank.
Old 26th March 2008, 09:31   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
Do you think that LPG was the reason the car caught fire ? Please let us not jump into conclusions. Even a petrol car will burn just the same if your electricals aren't right. FYI, the LPG tank is much much more safer than the petrol tank.
Oh no, I really don't think that it is because of LPG. I posted this is this thread because, if somebody who knows more about this may put more info on this incident.
But I don't know why, off late most of the fire incidences are happening to LPG fitted cars.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks