Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 11th January 2008, 13:20   #1
Senior - BHPian

How Safe are the LPG / CNG-equipped Cars?

Hi All,

Read this in today's TOI Pune City page

Quote:

A car went up in flames, apparently due to a leak in the gas kit, on F.C. road on Thursday. No one was injured in the incident
While I do understand that a single incident cant be taken to judge all such vehicles but then the description given is kind of scary..

What is the general public opinion?

Techno
Old 11th January 2008, 13:25   #2
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
Hi All,

Read this in today's TOI Pune City page

While I do understand that a single incident cant be taken to judge all such vehicles but then the description given is kind of scary..

What is the general public opinion?

Techno

The problem is, if a car catches fire & it was found to be running on LPG, immediately the reason is a LPG leak. Only a thorough investigation would reveal the truth.
Old 11th January 2008, 13:33   #3
Senior - BHPian

i know of 4-5 such incidents in NCR region in last few years and as a metter of fact all of these cars were LPG/CNG drivern.

there are more chances of GAS leak in delhi summers and with local fitment of substandard kits.

but i believe if all precautions are taken then CNG is safe.
Old 28th January 2008, 15:59   #4
BANNED

Three kids killed as CNG van explodes in Mumbai
Old 28th January 2008, 16:06   #5
Team-BHP Support

The problem is with non-certified kits, which are imported without authorization, and cost much less than kits from the standard manufacturers
To save a few rupees, people risk their lives.

Storage of a combustible Gas requires more safety precautions than storage of fuel(fuel tank).
Old 28th January 2008, 16:21   #6
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
The problem is with non-certified kits, which are imported without authorization, and cost much less than kits from the standard manufacturers
To save a few rupees, people risk their lives.
Spot on, TSK! Each CNG / LPG related fire that I have personally heard about, have had questionable after-market kits installed.
Old 28th January 2008, 16:32   #7
Senior - BHPian

GTO, time for you to pick up the phone and gimme a call

Zokes apart, We're three CNG kits in the family (m800 sold now), and when I buy my car, am very very heavily inclined for a CNG meself

@tsk: Problem is really that most people neither have a clue on what money they are saving, and sometimes the installers just do a shoddy job and substitute parts just to deliver the car on time. Many people don't invest more thought than that into their car.
Old 28th January 2008, 21:07   #8
BHPian

Apart from the installation and quality of parts used another factor is the gas container.
What is the general practice in small towns is to get an LPG kit fitted and use domestic LPG cylinders (as the gas is subsidized and easily available) kept in the boot.
The domestic cylinders are made of thinner metal and the rise in pressure and forces of impact are too much for them to handle.
Hence they explode.
Old 29th January 2008, 11:06   #9
Senior - BHPian

un less and untill the govt puts up a standard for the fitment of such crucial fitments on autos we are help less.cng or lpg would be better fuels but they have to have properly fitted kits and all safety norms are to be adhered to.this could be enforced by the govt bodies and thus ensure lives of common man.
ram
Old 29th January 2008, 11:06   #10
GTO
Team-BHP Support

And this mornings TOI reported a Maruti Van bursting into flames. Three kindergarten kids were killed on the spot. What I found surprising is the cops statement that the kit was certified?

Which brings me to the point...What are our certification standards? Are they reliable?
Old 29th January 2008, 11:13   #11
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
And this mornings TOI reported a Maruti Van bursting into flames. Three kindergarten kids were killed on the spot. What I found surprising is the cops statement that the kit was certified?

Which brings me to the point...What are our certification standards? Are they reliable?
Hi,

You forgot to mention them saying that the cylinder was intact which probably means that the reason for the fire/explosion was something else maybe a gas leak from the pipes.

Viper
Old 29th January 2008, 12:04   #12
Senior - BHPian

That was really unfortunate event where 3 kiddies got charred to death and this is my personal opinion about LPG/CNG cars and i just cannot convince myself about these cars being safe. I somehow freak out with the thought that there is a cylinder sitting in my ride and i personally would never go for it but for the obvious fear.
Old 29th January 2008, 12:31   #13
Senior - BHPian

The news report on the school van explosion says that it happened because the LPG was over and the driver was switching over to petrol forgetting that there was indeed some gas left in the pipes. I didnt quite get this. can some one explain?
Old 29th January 2008, 13:44   #14
BHPian

is it LPG or CNG which got exploded in School Van (Mumbai) , some people are hell bent to make it look like CNG is the cause while the real culprit is LPG which people find it safer
Old 29th January 2008, 13:54   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FERRO View Post
is it LPG or CNG which got exploded in School Van (Mumbai) , some people are hell bent to make it look like CNG is the cause while the real culprit is LPG which people find it safer

The van was LPG. Its very confusing though . There are varied opinions about which of the two is safer

Most Viewed