Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th April 2016, 21:43   #271
BHPian

Re: A Guide on Essentials of a Long Drive

I travelled Pune-Nagpur-Pune a few months back. For navigation I usually prefer google maps on my cell phone (The route view, not the navigation view)
However, during this trip, my map app crashed and I had a hard time getting it back to work again. Reason: No connectivity.

Recently I stumbled upon heremaps. The best thing is that it can be configured to run totally in offline mode (including search)
I haven't made any long journey after that but from the city trials I can vouch it seems promising.

Available for android as well as iPhone
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...app.maps&hl=en
https://itunes.apple.com/in/app/here...955837609?mt=8
RedTerrano is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th April 2016, 23:56   #272
BHPian

Here maps are essentially Nokia communicator maps. During nokia's prime days in smartphone segment, they were available but not so popular for many reasons. But my friend then found that its offline capability and updated highway details were quite sufficient in Delhi and surroundings. Later we used the Nokia maps on our European trip in France and Germany. Just simply downloaded the offline content of the country we traveled and viola offline maps worked. Since Nokia's fall, these maps have appeared as Here maps and they are still the same. Now comparing Here maps , maoquest etc vs Google maps, the latter allows users to define new businesses and address locations and thus allows everyone to participate in enriching the map content but likewise does Here maps allow content enhancement ? I don't know. The lack of business addresses, marking of prime locations etc on Here maps and MapQuest as well, makes them appear poor in content compared to Google maps
Old 20th July 2016, 17:12   #273
BHPian

[/quote] After having tried almost all navigation apps on App store I think in terms of offline capability Here Maps perform better than MMI( I bought MMI India app called Navi Maps which is pain to use). Even offline Sygic maps powered by TomTom are equally good but there Ad reminders are again pain. Google is good and detailed but Here maps are more accurate. I have installed Here maps on my Redmi 2 Prime phone ( the phone is specifically bought for Navigation and backup). MMI and Sygic on IPhone are used sparsely . Google maps are common on both phones.
Old 30th September 2016, 23:11   #274
Senior - BHPian

Few things I would like to keep in the car for all travels are:

1. A nice soft towel
2. 2-3 One lit water bottles.
3. A powerful torch (preferably Maglite or Mr. Light)
4. Spare bulbs
5. Make sure all headlights are functioning (especially when you start the vehicle during the daylight and planning to come in the night)
Old 16th October 2016, 23:32   #275
Team-BHP Support

Re: Hyderabad to Chikmagalur : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitdan View Post
I did more R&D at the hotel to chalk a better route and finally decided to head in the opposite direction towards Tumkur and then take the NH back to Anantapur. This route as again longer but much better roads throughout.
Please note: A last minute long distance routing via Google is not something I would advice unless you are very well aware about the geography of the location.

Else it surely has the potential to lead you into trouble. Items like road conditions, break options, food and supplies etc.

And all the above become even more important when you are with family.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th January 2017, 20:55   #276
Team-BHP Support

My home has an assured 24/7 power supply. So before leaving on a weekend trip, we keep a couple of eggs and an unopened packet of readymade idly/dosa batter.

Come back home, freshen up and there is a meal ready in less than 10 minutes. Especially when you have young kids and don't want them to again eat restaurant food.

This is not exactly a item for the car, but since you are no longer worried on what to feed your little monsters, the drive back home is so much more easy.
bblost is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 15th May 2018, 15:55   #277
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedTerrano View Post
The best thing is that it can be configured to run totally in offline mode (including search)
I've been using Sygic for 7-8 years now & it's flawless.
catchdoon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th May 2018, 05:01   #278
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedTerrano View Post
I travelled Pune-Nagpur-Pune a few months back. For navigation I usually prefer google maps on my cell phone (The route view, not the navigation view)
However, during this trip, my map app crashed and I had a hard time getting it back to work again. Reason: No connectivity.

Recently I stumbled upon heremaps. The best thing is that it can be configured to run totally in offline mode (including search)
I haven't made any long journey after that but from the city trials I can vouch it seems promising.
In Google maps, you can download only the interested areas prior to your trip and then it works even if you are offline. I contribute to Google maps with edit suggestions if I see something wrong. I think it's really good and updated with all the crowdsourced data which I don't think others have.
Old 16th May 2018, 07:10   #279
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbkumar View Post
In Google maps, you can download only the interested areas prior to your trip and then it works even if you are offline. I contribute to Google maps with edit suggestions if I see something wrong. I think it's really good and updated with all the crowdsourced data which I don't think others have.
True. But it only allows you to download a portion. Not the whole map.So that can be tricky at times.

Yes, Google's very good at improvising by the regular user inputs. That's the best part.
Old 17th May 2018, 11:19   #280
Senior - BHPian

I've d9wnloadedaos for most of my long trips which are a few hundred kilometres. You can also download multiple maps if needed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbkumar View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by catchdoon View Post
True. But it only allows you to download a portion. Not the whole map.So that can be tricky at times.

Yes, Google's very good at improvising by the regular user inputs. That's the best part.
BenjiRoss is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th April 2021, 16:45   #281
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Superb Stuff, Technocrat. And thanks a load for sharing these with all of us.

I'd just like to add:

1. Take a great camera (preferably digital) with you for a good road trip.
2. Chargers for the camera and phone. Many people forget this.

Moved to "Collection of Best Threads"

GTO
Hi GTO,

where can we find this "collection of best threads"

I'm sure many BHPians are missing out on amazing threads like these just because they don't know of their existence.
viXit is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th October 2021, 13:43   #282
BHPian

For offline maps, you could try

https://osmand.net/

Apps available for Android/iPhone. Opensource. Uses OpenStreetMaps as base map.

Yes i agree with you. I got a Sygic license with my Asus phone about 10+ years ago. It is still being updated and maintained. It is a grand app.

Only funny thing i encountered with Sygic was at Sathyamangalam Ghats, it wanted me to turn right at every left turn hairpin bend.

Venkat

What a beautiful way to keep the kids occupied. Kudos to you and your wife.

Mod Note: Please use the EDIT or QUOTE+ (multi-quote) button instead of typing one post after another on the SAME THREAD!

To know how to multi-quote, click here.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 6th October 2021 at 13:58.
Old 20th June 2022, 08:39   #283

Long distance travel - items to note

In January 2023, I intend to drive from Mumbai down the west coast to Kanyakumari and then up the east coast up to Orissa, when we cut across to the west and return via Nagpur and Aurangabad to Mumbai. The plan is for this to take us abut 4 months with all the sightseeing and halts. As someone who has not driven over a distance of 4,000 kms, I was keen to get advise from experienced travellers on the key dos and donts when undertaking such a journey.
Old 21st June 2022, 14:34   #284
Senior - BHPian

Re: Long distance travel - items to note

Here's one great thread to get started & know about the essentials of a long drive - https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/road-...ong-drive.html (A Guide on Essentials of a Long Drive)
JoshMachine is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th June 2022, 00:03   #285

I recently completed solo drive from Hyderabad to Jaipur. Some details and learnings from the trip:

Distance: 1460 Kms
Time: 23 Hours (one overnight stop)

Preparations and journey:

1. Servicing and thorough checkup of the car
2. Tyre inflator. Got one from amazon for emergency: https://www.amazon.in/gp/product/B07...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
3. Track the route on google maps
4. Important to stay hydrated: Water bottles, gatorade, lassi
5. Since it was a solo drive, had to make sure I stay alert. Froze a tumbler of coffee in milk the night before. Kept sipping it during the journey. Also carried some energy drinks.
6. A good playlist of songs

7. The most important thing, which I learnt being a member of Team-bhp: Defensive driving. Just focus on your journey, there will be people who would cut lanes, try to race and put you on the edge . Just stay away from such drivers on the highway. Slow down, let them pass and enjoy the road
sohit15 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks