Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th June 2007, 11:46   #61
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for your inputs sudipto, but IMHO they are a bit too much. There can never be enough things to carry during a long drive so what I & others have listed is what is essential & not what can be carried.
Old 27th July 2007, 18:15   #62

Neat One

Techno,
This is an amazing info, I totally agree with you on all the items, as a matter of fact I do carry most of them except the gun. I would suggest to plan your trip in such a way that you cover the dacoit prone patch during the day time, Even in current times A long path between MP and Maharastra lots of dacoits are active, not only in night but during the the day time too you have to travel in a convoy.
Besides the stuff mentioned I would suggest that while taking a long travel never ever forget to take few essential medicines and keep them in car
1. Antisceptic Cream
2. Medicines for Fever, Cold(You catch cold or fever due to change of climate specially while you travel to hills)
3. Pudin Hara or antacid.(To releive you of any acid relate stomach pain which is common when one eats outside in a different city)
4. Pain Releivers. (To help you in releiving of long sitting and traveling stress and pain)
5. Vitamin B, C(During the travel it is common that one loses salts)
6. ORS solutions.
and If you wear specs dont forget to take a spare with you.
Although the list is never ending and keeps changing depending on the place you are visiting .
rockingstart is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th July 2007, 08:27   #63
BANNED

very important NOTE for those who wear specs while travelling

this HAS TO BE DONE when ever they travel in 2,3,4 even 8 wheeler.for that matter keep one spare when you MOVE . it will BE certainly of great help.

Rocking Start mentioned :If you wear specs dont forget to take a spare with you
Old 9th August 2007, 18:24   #64
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockingstart View Post
Techno,
and If you wear specs dont forget to take a spare with you.
Although the list is never ending and keeps changing depending on the place you are visiting .
Spare of spectacles is a must in my list! The glove box will always has one even if its not a long trip!

Imagine pain of it falling down and braking to pieces and you have to drive the vehicle at night!

Another thing that can be added is a small box of wet tissues (I prefer lemon flavored-Really refreshing) Great for night drives.
Old 22nd August 2007, 10:40   #65
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by binoy_tharakan View Post
Spare of spectacles is a must in my list! The glove box will always has one even if its not a long trip!

Imagine pain of it falling down and braking to pieces and you have to drive the vehicle at night!
I cannot agree more on the requirement of spare specs. While returning from Delhi I had stopped at a dhaba and had kept my glasses on the hood of the car to wash my face. I then completely forgot about it and drove for 100 Km before realising what I had done. I only realised that I was not wearing specs when the light started dimming. Then I had to drive the entire night through UP and Bihar without specs. That was a horrible experience.
Old 22nd August 2007, 10:47   #66
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPearl View Post
and had kept my glasses on the hood of the car to wash my face. I then completely forgot about it and drove for 100 Km before realising what I had done.
If only it was a Tata Sierra...

If you could drive 100Kms without missing it, then your prescription glass is not that strong. I would know it immediately if I don't have my glasses on.
Old 22nd August 2007, 10:51   #67
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
If only it was a Tata Sierra...

If you could drive 100Kms without missing it, then your prescription glass is not that strong. I would know it immediately if I don't have my glasses on.
yup, -1.5 on the left and -.75 on the right. But missed the anti glare which I had become quite used to and that created the problem at night on the two way highways in Bihar.
Old 24th September 2007, 11:03   #68
BHPian

Nice writeup.

Thanks a lot technokrat. The list is comprehensive and certainly useful for any car owner who plans long drives. I am planning to trichy next month...So this is the correct place to ensure a safe and smooth ride. As I am a new car owner this thread makes a lot of sense for being prepared in case of any unfortunate event. Thanks again buddy really do appreciate all the effort taken.cheers:
Old 18th October 2007, 15:34   #69
BHPian

A very nice compilation, thanks for sharing.

Here are a few things that I have learnt the hard way, not to forget again..
a> Spare cash, do not rely on atm's fully.
b> When it comes to changing the tire in the dark, a head mounted lamp is the most helpful. So is some rain-gear, things tend to go wrong all at the same time.
c> Energy drinks are good too, I use them, helps keep fatigue away and concentrate on real long drives.
d> A thick piece of wood if possible, to aid the jack while tire is being changed, have seen a vehicle going off the jack, fortunately no harm to anyone. For that matter, learn how to change tires too, I am often astonished to see how many regular drivers don't actually know that.
e> Sometimes being a little pessimistic helps keep out of danger, but be sure to go the full way once the decision is made. Reminds me of a makeshift bamboo bridge, not a good idea to have second thoughts in the middle
f> I might have missed it in the earlier posts, seems no-one has mentioned carrying cures for highway food syndrome.
g> A truck driver that you waved to for letting you pass way back can turn out to be the best buddy on the road at times of real need. It is not possible for loaded trucks to break their motion abruptly, the load may actually break into the cabin of the truck, but rest assured they will brake to help you out if need be; so be considerate to other road users, earn some nods in thanks and overall have an enjoyable trip!
Cheers.
Old 4th November 2007, 00:02   #70

Folks,

Can anyone point me to a shop where I can buy a foot pump and a tyre pressure gauge?

Thanks
Old 5th November 2007, 17:14   #71

solid Info !!!

Hey Technocrat,

I am amazed with the kinda info you have pumped in here... this is the best one and just one that I wanted !!!
I have recently bought a Safari Dicor 3.0 as I finally have decided to Reclaim my life .... ... and after driving a short trip to Mahabaleshwar, now I am off to Goa ... the next longest destination (would be driven by me )!!! And this is where I was serching for just the right thing that you have given !!! This is d best perserv for my car !!!
Old 5th November 2007, 19:45   #72
Senior - BHPian

Thanks smihim :-)

I am glad to know that you liked this article & that this is helpful to you

Last edited by Technocrat : 5th November 2007 at 19:46.
Old 15th November 2007, 15:21   #73
BHPian

Lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by webjunk View Post
-A yellow transparent plastic sheet and gum tape. [If you dont have fog lights and it starts raining, this will help. You just stick to headlight and drive] [my rally experience. It saved me really.]
BTW, your car body cover can act as a tent in emergency camping.
Please do not believe yellow plastic sheet to be as good as fog lights.

I am a rally driver and love to drive at night so I know that is plain dumb.

Secondly car cover is so dirty, please do not use it as tent.
Old 15th November 2007, 17:06   #74
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chirantanaranya View Post
Folks,

Can anyone point me to a shop where I can buy a foot pump and a tyre pressure gauge?

Thanks
I recently bought a compressor-run air pump cum guage for 850 bucks. It has a cord that can be connected to the cigarette lighter, and all you need to do is put the connector on the tyre inlet and watch as the tyre gets filled. No sweat, really, as a manual foot pump can really leave you tired, and with a thigh ache. The device also has nozzles for filling cycle tyres and foot*****.
Only flip side is the calibration on the air guage runs upto 180 or so, and what we need is not more than 50 for our cars.
Old 26th November 2007, 06:01   #75
BHPian

Nice post. Can anyone tell me that what essential spare-parts should be carried for long trips, especially to places like leh-drass-kargil-lahaul-spiti? Hows is the petrol availability on this route?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks