Team-BHP - Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Road Safety (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/road-safety/)
-   -   Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/road-safety/3580-bad-drivers-how-do-you-spot-em-10.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Godfather
Can you believe i actually read the posts on this thread.. each and every one of them...
One thing you guys have forgotten...
Why do generally people use hazard lights? if their car is having trouble or if the car is parked to the side to warn others that the car is stationery and to slowdown to overtake right?

Well i dont know if anyone has noticed this but i bangalore i have noticed this a few times that is that is the car is going straight through an intersection then the driver puts on the hazard light.. Its like an indication that the car is going straight..:Frustrati .. the first time i saw this i slowed my car thinking the car ahead of me switched on the hazard lights is having a problem to my surprise he went straight through the intersection and then switched off the hazard signal... it was unbelieveable..

Maybe he was trying to tell you that he hasn't decided which way to go. And finally he combined the left and right and went straight.:D

Quote:

Well i dont know if anyone has noticed this but i bangalore i have noticed this a few times that is that is the car is going straight through an intersection then the driver puts on the hazard light.. Its like an indication that the car is going straight..

In Chandigarh i have seen a more "evolved" version of this behaviour. Chd is full of circles at intersections. So people going straight would turn on right indicator as they approach the circle, and at the middle, turn on the left indicator to go straight. Logically, it does make sense. Or does it??

Amitoj

Quote:

Originally Posted by amitoj
In Chandigarh i have seen a more "evolved" version of this behaviour. Chd is full of circles at intersections. So people going straight would turn on right indicator as they approach the circle, and at the middle, turn on the left indicator to go straight. Logically, it does make sense. Or does it??

Amitoj

Makes sense, thats how its supposed to be done in Delhi as well

Quote:

Originally Posted by amitoj

Amitoj

Legally it is wrong. To go straight you don't use any indicator till you have crossed around halfway and then use left indicator to indicate that you are pulling out of "roundabout"

To turn left, simply use left indicator.

To turn right or make a U-turn, use right indicator and change over to left when you are going to pull out of roundabout.

See this link. http://www.chandigarhtrafficpolice.org/flashlinks.php#

Click on 4th line - Driving around the roundabout.

This can be found on tribuneindia.com also. There is good write up by H Kishie Singh name as "Good Motoring" the every other saturday but it will take to long to find out details.
RK

i hate school boy racers, who think they look pretty darn cool. Racing their papa's car with cigretter dangling from their mouth kinda s**t.
They almost always have thier windows rolled down, for others to enjoy their hip hop rap crap and arms along the sill...and looking totall silly.

One other pet peeve I have is with people who do not take turns fast enough.. I have seen that people turn into roads with no intention of allowing others to pass.. it seems to take them eternity to get their butts across..

All they need to do is probably downshift, take turn and step on the gas.. But well, doesn't seem like it is the accepted practise around here!

I you have seen folks taking turns outside of this country, you will certainly know what I mean.. just take the turn, get onto the slowest lane that you can get on on the other side (in the safest possible manner).. and get about your business without bringing the entire road to a stand-still..

Of course, even worse than that are folks who suddenly feel the urge to take U turns without ever noticing if there are vehicles behind them..
I have seen it happen on multiple occassions in Bangalore traffic that two-wheelers never end up being able to brake in time.. and ram into whatever is in front of them due to this!

And one golden rule.. if the driver in front of you causes you to brake suddenly twice in less than 2 minutes, it is probably a good idea to try and pass them at the earliest.. and if that is not possible, atleast change lanes.. these are the guys who are probably talking on the phone, changing cassettes/cds/radio stations on their music systems, rolling their windows up/down and trying to get a swig of water all at the same time! If you manage to not ram into them, you cannot really bet the same about the auto wallah behind you or the streethawk biker trying to squeeze into the 2 inch space next to you!

Quote:

Can you believe i actually read the posts on this thread.. each and every one of them...
One thing you guys have forgotten...
Why do generally people use hazard lights? if their car is having trouble or if the car is parked to the side to warn others that the car is stationery and to slowdown to overtake right?

Well i dont know if anyone has noticed this but i bangalore i have noticed this a few times that is that is the car is going straight through an intersection then the driver puts on the hazard light.. Its like an indication that the car is going straight..:Frustrati .. the first time i saw this i slowed my car thinking the car ahead of me switched on the hazard lights is having a problem to my surprise he went straight through the intersection and then switched off the hazard signal... it was unbelieveable..

Actually no, you got it wrong. I also use to get a bit confused till I saw an army truck (those huge 10 wheelers) towing a field gun with the hazard lights on! I talked to my bro-in-law and dad (armed forces bkgrnd) and learnt that it is a regular practice. It basically means that "beware... its hazardous to9 be careless around me. Won't be able to do much to save you if you rush in like a fool towards me"... :D Its the same thing people employ when crossing busy intersections. Basically to warn you "don't pull any cute stunts. In this busy intersection you will cause a hazard for me, yourself and others... I have a very limited manoueverability now".

Just a two questions... What do you do once you spot a sorry excuse of a driver endangering the lives of others? Do the rules change if the driver being reckless/ crazy happens to be someone known/ a friend/ a relative/ yourself??

No need to answer me, answer your own conciousness (assuming most have one these days).

Personally, I feel that people who support people who are wrong (especially when they know the person in question is wrong) are more deserving of a ________ (Let's play fill in the blanks here) than the person who is wrong.

Now, feel free to take a hit at me (sitting behind your monitor) for saying and believing in what's right and good for all... I'm getting so immune to it. :)

Boombastic, being frank (and true) is not a crime. I guess there is substance in what you said.
I feel that we Indians as a group and each one of us in particular are yet to qualify as good road users. I agree that once in a while (when our mood is good, or just after a trip to US/Europe where we see people driving by the rules), we put on a show of good road manners.And then we go into critic mode, criticising others for each mistake. I am sure all of us would be making one mistake or the other, when on the road. Either we don't want to admit it or are just not aware.
Unless we decide to change and the Govt. chips in by regulating the sorry joke that our driving schools and RTOs are and also by putting hefty fines for violations, we are not going to change.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zappo
Actually no, you got it wrong. I also use to get a bit confused till I saw an army truck (those huge 10 wheelers) towing a field gun with the hazard lights on! I talked to my bro-in-law and dad (armed forces bkgrnd) and learnt that it is a regular practice. It basically means that "beware... its hazardous to9 be careless around me. Won't be able to do much to save you if you rush in like a fool towards me"... :D Its the same thing people employ when crossing busy intersections. Basically to warn you "don't pull any cute stunts. In this busy intersection you will cause a hazard for me, yourself and others... I have a very limited manoueverability now".

Hazard warning indicator is to warn others that you can pose a danger to others (indicators are for indicating your intentions and not to advice others). So the guy passing through intersection is unable to make his intention of direction of movement clear by using hazard warning light. Side indicators are to be used at intersection to make your intention clear. If you don't give any indicator means you are going to do what you are doing, that is going straight. And every licenced driver is suppose to know that a busy intersection is going to pose a hazard and you have to drive carefully - no overtaking, no changing of gears etc.

RK

Quote:

Anything which has a Ferarri sticker on it unless placed there by the Scuderia themselves
Damn i have one on my santro lol:

Apart from all the things mentioned above here is my 2 cents

1. Laid back Paid Parking - Another thing i noticed, while crossing some of the paid parking venues around the markets here was that people would reverse their cars right into the middle of the road and then sit and take out change to give to the parking guy. aaarghhh

2. Snails on Expressways / Toll roads - Here in Noida we have two Expressways, D-N-D Expressway (toll) connecting Delhi and Noida and Greater Noida Expressway connecting Noida and G.Noida. Now both these roads are superb with 8 lanes and no u-turns etc. Still while driving on such roads u will find people driving at a snails pace say 40-50Kmph on the RIGHT MOST lane while majority of traffic is doing 100Kmph+. Sometimes it gets really frustrating

And guys
You all say "ROAD RAGE" as if its a bad thing lol: ;)

I am also peeved to see a lot of new cars with no number plates. You hope to see a temporary registration stuck somewhere but ahoy!! sometimes you don't see that either. What do you tell the cops if this guy bangs somewhere ? A good looking new car banged and scooted ??

And then I have seen cases where these guys are super wreckless. What do you do to them ?

This I think is not dangerous or wreckless. This is criminal.

:mad:

How many of you guys check your blind spot when changing lanes or taking a turn? Even if your side view mirrors are out, it is essential to do so when turning.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zappo

Zappo... you got me wrong here.. i am not talking about the huge trucks and the army 10 wheelers.. they hav to do it because trailor trucks cannot be predictable.. what i saw was a "Sumo" and sometimes even cars like santros maruti omni.etc etc doing this.. what do you say for that.. if you are going straight from an intersection then go.. dont switch on the hazard lights.. hazard lights are ment to be switched on if you are having car problems on a busy road or a highway if the car breaks down to warn others that the car is having trouble and to slow down and keep distance... not to cross an intersection bro...

:OT
On a Humorous note.
Why is that all bad drivers are not Ladies,
But All Ladies are Bad drivers?

The worst drivers in bombay....
1) The BEST bus drivers,
2) The Rickshaw drivers.
3) My Ex Girlfriend...