Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th November 2011, 12:20   #76
Team-BHP Support

Re: Tata safari rear brake release Valve(non ABS), disaster by design?

Quote:
Originally Posted by abbey4u View Post

tsk, Can you let me know what was the final resolution to the problem in your vehicle
MY problem was different. Whenever I would brake hard, the rear wheels would get locked and the vehicle ends up skidding sideways, like a movie scene.
Finally I solved the problem by not braking hard.
Old 11th November 2011, 14:20   #77
BHPian

Had this experience few days ago on my way to office; this was not panic braking but I braked a little harder than required to scare off an auto who was unnecessarily coming into the rightmost lane of the 4-lane highway, and for a moment as I expected she fishtailed and I sensed the back wiggling and the back wheels alone screeched, and at that moment I released the brake pedal and she resumed normalcy. Yes, the auto guy realised his mistake and hurriedly went back to his lane.

To an extent I seem to have developed a sense of exactly with what pressure on the brake I can make her fishtail or get the wheels locked. On few occasions I have been able to intentionally have the wheels locked and have the tyres screech.

But I agree, when she was fresh from the showroom no matter how hard I brake, she will not fishtail though the wheels locked and screeched - but I think she fishtails more these days, 12 months after purchase.
Old 11th November 2011, 14:26   #78
BHPian

I went to TASS today and gave them the car. Talked to AGM service over there and he was also at lost. He said, he will now check other probable culprits suspension, arms caster/camber settings etc. Lets hope they are able to diagnose the problem now. Unfortunately my extended warranty expired last week and i am just hoping no major part replacement is needed. (last week they changed both front window motor covered under extended warranty)
Old 12th November 2011, 13:53   #79
BHPian

Here's update on braking issue. They did some camber adjustment and its better now, however the pull is still there. AGM service took the test drive and did some hard breaking and able to show that car is not pulling. he was holding the steering tight i guess. When i drove the same without holding steering, i showed him how steering is automatically trying to turn right. His contention was its because major breaking system is in right side and we should always hold the steering while braking. (what an argument). I told him it doesn't happen in my esteem car.

Anyways took the delivery and trying to convince myself to live with it. I don't know but was hoping if someone could confirm its a caliper issue i can volunteer to change them from outside. One thing which i noticed that car diving from right front and steering turning right.
Old 12th November 2011, 16:49   #80
Senior - BHPian

How did I miss this thread before?

Perennial issue with my Safari. Shifts to the left on braking. Not solved by any TASS/TASC till date. I have almost thrown this as a challenge to the 2 TASS and the 2 TASC in my city. Any one, out of the foursome, who is able to solve this problem gets to place their sticker on the rear glass of my SUV.
( yeah I remove those stickers disdainfully every time I come back from a T -***/ASC visit)
Old 12th November 2011, 23:27   #81
BHPian

Some more update. Out of curosity, i went to a local mechanic shop and sought his feedback. So whats's happening is as soon the brakes are hit, the steering suddenly steer right and continuous braking make the car turn right. you leave the the brake, the steering back to normal. this local guy checked the suspension and arm and ball joints. He suggested a replacement of ball joints. Took a risk and replaced. Cost around 3k fro all 4 front ball joints. The car is little better now. I am regaining my confidence on high speed braking, however its still steer right on breaking. This local guy showed me the suspension bushes are worn out and need replacement and i agree with him ( how come TASS tells me that the suspension bushes are good and everything is fine). He said that after suspension overhaul everything should be back to normal and whatever drift is left will clear out. I think he is right but not sure. Bhpians, Can you suggest me to go for this. and normally how much would be labor charges for that.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks