Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th December 2008, 10:40   #61
SuperSyn

This issue is a good demonstration of Tata's engineering "prowess" that some desi commentators keep talking about.

I can name many manufacturers who would never sell a vehicle with such issues. Some of them couldn't build a vehicle with such poor dynamics if they tried!

Old 20th December 2008, 19:53   #62
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSyn View Post
This issue is a good demonstration of Tata's engineering "prowess" that some desi commentators keep talking about.

I can name many manufacturers who would never sell a vehicle with such issues. Some of them couldn't build a vehicle with such poor dynamics if they tried!
Sir, Arent you being too critical on TATAs? The brake balance problem is there in all vehicles if not serviced correctly by the service technicians - its got nothing to do with ownership or the engineering of that Vehicle.

I've had the same brake drag issue on 3 vehicles - all bought "used" and was solved by my service people!

I've also owned TATA vehicles to understand that the TASS is not the best place to get your vehicles serviced, but thats about it.

AND BTW, TATA is the only indian manufacturer to have come up with his own design as well as manufacturer of vehicles. http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/images...s/Clapping.gif

And put India on the World Map by producing the World's Cheapest Car - The Nano!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravi Kashyap View Post
Hi
Just today I sensed that while negotiating a "serial speedbreaker' (as we call it) or driving above 70/80 on a rough road the safari fishtails onto the left, just as it does on hard braking.
Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
Pl ask them to change all wheel cylinders. Not just the "o" rings. Your problem will be solved!

Last edited by headers : 20th December 2008 at 19:54.
Old 23rd December 2008, 11:45   #63
Senior - BHPian

Guys,here is the result of the small test i did this weekend.

i braked at speeds 130+ and 110+ and it was total emergency braking.

The beast dint swayed at all and stopped at straight line.

mine is a LX 3.0(w/o ABS) and brake pads/shoes were replaced at 20k service almost a year ago.

so i would say it might be an adjustment/rectification problem with some vehicles but not at all a disaster by design.

infact,after reading this thread i beacme a bit paranoid and wanted to test the brakes to fullest.Though Safari still lacks the bite in brakes and there is a bit of body roll too but its still not a disaster.
Old 23rd December 2008, 11:48   #64
Team-BHP Support

Do you feel a pull to one side.
When I brake hard now, the rear does not lock up, but I do feel a pull towards the right, and I have to wrestle with the steering wheel.
When Autolinks fixed this issue, it came back after 2 days, then I went to Ayush motors, and there Engineers from Tata and Dana had come. They fixed the issue, but after a couple of days the issue is back again.

Apart from that the suspension noise and idle surging issue is also back. Looks like a visit to TASS after the himachal trip is due.
Old 23rd December 2008, 13:40   #65
Senior - BHPian

i almost stood on the brake pedal and the beast dint swayed to any side and it was damn straight =/- few cms which i couldnt have noticed.

and the best part was that i was expecting rear wheel lock up at least cos it has happened few times when the beast was new,but there was no lock up at all.

so i'm 100% sure now that its vehicle specific problem and you should not leave it unless its gone forever.

afterall brakes are not something to have any slightest chances with.
Old 23rd December 2008, 14:30   #66
Senior - BHPian

Guess TSK has to change his wheel cylinders and I am the only jack*** shouting. No point.

Glad that your beast stood straight, Sandeep!
Old 23rd December 2008, 14:44   #67
Team-BHP Support

tsk: There might be something wrong in the system if you are getting violent pulls, otherwise this problem would have been reported much earlier?

Start with basic check; check all wheel cylinders, master cylinders, calipers, pads setting, bleeding the lines, booster lines and then finally set the bias thingy. Dont compromise here, its a new vehicle and such things shouldnt happen.
Old 23rd December 2008, 15:13   #68
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Guess TSK has to change his wheel cylinders and I am the only jack*** shouting. No point.

Glad that your beast stood straight, Sandeep!
Thats why I tell them.
They just interchange left with right, and she still pulls towards the right. Therefore I am wondering if the front brake disks have an issue and not the rear ones. or maybe its suspension

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
tsk: There might be something wrong in the system if you are getting violent pulls, otherwise this problem would have been reported much earlier?

Start with basic check; check all wheel cylinders, master cylinders, calipers, pads setting, bleeding the lines, booster lines and then finally set the bias thingy. Dont compromise here, its a new vehicle and such things shouldnt happen.
I plan to get Tata engineers again to Ayush, and then tell them to redo everything, and change whatever is necessary.
Maybe I will head over to Autolinks again, time permitting....
The pull is not very strong but its there. Our 3.0 also had it, and was rectified by adjusting rear brakes, now the issue is gone, however in this case its not gone.
I also intend to get suspension squeek rectified(if it can be). Every time they spray some WD40 and it goes away for 2 days.
The sound is similar to the one old spring sofas make. Creaky spring sound.
Old 23rd December 2008, 16:13   #69
Senior - BHPian

@ TSK,

Pls be tough with your SA/ workshop of whatever engineer. The problem is the wheel cylinder / wheel cylinder "O" ring. If the vehicle is under warranty, they should do it FOC, but check the small print. Otherwise, still it is worth it to get them replaced as a pair, i.e the left and right wheel cylinders on an axle. IF each wheel has 2 cylinders, then replace both, NOT one.

The squeaky problem is usually a "non" lubricated suspension bush. Get the bush lubricated with grease and your problem disappears!

WD40 is used as a quick fix measure in such situations, but it is not the correct tool.

I enjoyed your tyrst with taking your vehicle offroad. Explore the limits of the vehicle to get stuck, but have someone to pull you out!

Cheers
Old 23rd December 2008, 16:27   #70
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
@ TSK,

Pls be tough with your SA/ workshop of whatever engineer. The problem is the wheel cylinder / wheel cylinder "O" ring. If the vehicle is under warranty, they should do it FOC, but check the small print. Otherwise, still it is worth it to get them replaced as a pair, i.e the left and right wheel cylinders on an axle. IF each wheel has 2 cylinders, then replace both, NOT one.
Will do that once I am back
Quote:
The squeaky problem is usually a "non" lubricated suspension bush. Get the bush lubricated with grease and your problem disappears!
Ditto
Now only if I could get a customer care contact so that pressure can be put
Quote:
WD40 is used as a quick fix measure in such situations, but it is not the correct tool.
Will get this done too
Quote:
I enjoyed your tyrst with taking your vehicle offroad. Explore the limits of the vehicle to get stuck, but have someone to pull you out!

Cheers
We usually venture alone, in remote places(really really remote places), so if I am doubtful I don't venture into it. For example, on banks of Kosi. I first got down, and walked along the tricky part(dried river bed littered with all kinds of stones and sand). Only when I was satisfied I wont get stuck, I ventured there.
Old 23rd December 2008, 16:44   #71
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
I first got down, and walked along the tricky part(dried river bed littered with all kinds of stones and sand). Only when I was satisfied I wont get stuck, I ventured there.
This is usually a mandatory step even while doing OTRs. Sad that many including myself "dont" do it. We are lazy by default!

cheers:
Old 24th December 2008, 11:52   #72
BHPian

Hi All, had a chance to experience this situation during the weekend.
Our car (LX 2.2vtt variant) was loaded with 4 adults and baggage weighing about 75kgs, and 70% fuel (tyre pressure was as advised by TM: 32 PSI F/35 PSI R).

Was driving on a straight stretch in a 2 lane road at slightly over 80kmph in 5th gear. There was oncoming traffic of 4 vehicles, for which i dimmed the headlamps. No sooner had the last truck passed that i saw a barricade placed on my lane, about 50 feet ahead. Braked hard out of impulsion, along with the clutch fully depressed. The car swerved slightly to the left accompanied by the noise of screeching brakes, and stopped well clear of the barrier.
Must also mention that the engine died down, despite depressing the clutch. Has anyone experienced this engine stalling thing?
Old 24th December 2008, 12:03   #73
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkamath View Post
Must also mention that the engine died down, despite depressing the clutch. Has anyone experienced this engine stalling thing?
this is not possible.you must have taken your foot off clutch while all this was happening.

usually these sort of things happen very very fast,so its hard to remember exactly what you have done unless untill you have done the whole thing intentionally.
Old 24th December 2008, 12:32   #74
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by simply_sunny001 View Post
this is not possible.you must have taken your foot off clutch while all this was happening.

usually these sort of things happen very very fast,so its hard to remember exactly what you have done unless untill you have done the whole thing intentionally.
I agree 100%. It is a good practise to remember the whole episode in "slow motion" but its very difficult to implement as our mind gets too clouded in the rush of things!
Old 10th November 2011, 14:55   #75
BHPian

Re: Tata safari rear brake release Valve(non ABS), disaster by design?

reviving this old thread as i am also facing similar issue with 2.2. The problem is whenever i do hard breaking the vehicle pulls wildly to right. Earlier this was on speed above 90+ but now its happening anything above 50. Also when i gradually break, i see vehicle slowly moving towards right.
I already reported this to TASS twice. the first time they mentioned that caliper pin were jammed and did some alignment and height adjustment etc. The problem went away only to reappear within next 200 kms.
This time they said they again checked the height, adjusted pressure valve, bleeded the break lines. After that it worked perfectly for the initial few kms. Then i did a hard breaking and everything was back to the way it was. Car started pulling again to right. Looks like something again got stuck. I am going to TASS again tomorrow. Would like members feedback on what could be the real cause. Do i need to replace the caliper? drums? I don't know.

tsk, Can you let me know what was the final resolution to the problem in your vehicle

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks