Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th April 2012, 17:04   #61
Senior - BHPian

Re: Speed Radar Guns & Cameras in New Delhi

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjumrani View Post
Where are all these cameras being put up anyways?
The above picture seems to be from the older camera van and not from the newly installed night vision camera. It has been clicked from the left side of the road.

The pictures taken from top of the extreme right lane cars, are from newly installed night (day included) vision camera IMO.
Old 27th April 2012, 08:57   #62
Senior - BHPian

"IT TURNED OUT TO BE A WOMAN DRIVER AT 139 KMPH. Well, there is nothing wrong to be a woman driving that fast. What we want to emphasize to this woman and others interested in speed is that it is not safe to drive that fast on city roads. You could be expert driver but the road, fellow road users may be seriously compromised on safety front. The offender has been given a court challan and would take up with the court that provisions of section 184 MV Act which deals with dangerous driving become applicable in her case."

Satyendra Garg, Joint CP Traffic
Old 27th April 2012, 12:10   #63
BHPian

Well, speed limits have their 'limits'. I regularly use the Gurgaon-Faridabad highway on my daily commute and the speed limit is 80 kph. I have been challaned once for going at 95 kph. While I have limited excuse for doing so, I have an issue with which the cops approach the speeding violation on this stretch.

I do normally adhere to limits and the point where they caught me was on a significant downhill stretch where all cars if driven normally would end up gathering at least 10-15 kph extra if they dont take their foot off the accelerator pedal. I have since ensured that I am always between 75-85 kph and frankly it is quite nice since every single vehicle is now within that range and there is no un-necessary overtaking and I feel it is probably one of the safest ways to drive.

Also, there is a speed limit of 90 kph on the Delhi-Ambala NH-1 stretch where I remember being challaned for doing 96 kph. The only reason I was doing that speed was because I had gone to Punjab to pick up my newly overhauled car and was ensuring that I stay around the 2000 rpm mark to get the engine run-in. The challan is to be paid on the spot (typically between Karnal-Panipat-Sonipat stretch) for Rs. 400.

Post that, each trip I make to Chandigarh, I budget a 400 Rs. 'toll-tax' since I normally drive between 100-120 kph depending on traffic conditions. I almost never exceed 120 kph considering the current traffic witnessed on this highway.

My point has already been echoed by a few people - if the speed limit is reasonable, most people will follow it. If it is unreasonable, not so many adhere.

OT, if the challan was not 400 but 2000, I would never over-speed on the NH-1!
Old 11th June 2012, 13:40   #64
Senior - BHPian

11 Jun 2012 Hindustan Times (Delhi)

TRAFFIC POLICE TO INTRODUCE INFRARED SPEED CAMERAS

A PROPOSAL TO INSTALL 70 SPEED CAMERAS DESIGNED BY DIMTS TO CHECK ACCIDENTS DUE TO SPEEDING IS GATHERING DUST

NEW DELHI:

Less than three months since it ran a trial and later dumped the project to install speed cameras along several roads where motorists tend to speed, Delhi traffic police have come up with yet another plan.

The department has proposed to introduce speed radars or interceptors that can guage vehicular speed even during the night. The existing speed radars need bright sunlight to measure the speed of a vehicle. The plan, however, is not new. The traffic police have been planning to introduce hi-tech interceptors but the plan never reached the execution level.

"This time the project will happen," assured Satyendra Garg, joint commissioner of police (traffic).

"We will soon invite tenders for the new interceptors. Within three months they will replace the existing ones that only function during bright daylight," he said.

The traffic police are now examining the functioning of the speed interceptors that can reportedly intercept speed of vehicles even during zero visibility. The performance, so far, has been satisfactory, said a traffic police officer.

The police said the new age speed interceptors use infrared laser beam for long distance, rapid and accurate measurement of speed and the in-built digital video recording system enable unambiguous identification of the target vehicle.

Traffic police has initially planned to purchase 10 laser based speed radars that run on infrared technology. Each unit is likely to cost about R6 lakh.
Old 24th December 2014, 19:51   #65
BHPian

And finally the Delhi Traffic Police has got the night vision cameras to check the over speeding during nights. Currently there are 11 interceptors (Toyota Innova), on duty, 11 PM till 7 AM.

Quote:
To rein in motorists indulging in over-speeding, dangerous driving, cutting across lanes and similar offences on the roads of the Capital, the Delhi Traffic Police has inducted 11 new mobile day & night speed enforcement system vehicles for prosecuting violators.

Delhi Police Commissioner Bhim Sain Bassi flagged off a fleet of the vehicles on Wednesday.

Allocated to all 11 districts
These have been allocated to all the 11 traffic districts and will be deployed on the vulnerable, speed-prone stretches of Delhi such as Ring Road, Outer Ring Road, Central Spine Road near IGIA, NH-8, Ring Road near R.K. Puram, Lodhi Road, DND Flyover, Road No. 56, Saleem Garh Bypass, NH-24, NH-1 (GTK) & NH-10 Rohtak Road.
Source: http://www.thehindu.com/news/cities/...cle6703733.ece

Have a safe driving during nights also!

Cheers!
Irish
Old 13th January 2015, 09:01   #66
Senior - BHPian

Delhi - First city to get smart traffic lights

Mods: Searched the relevant thread could not find it, hence posted it here. If thread exists pls merge.

Delhi has now the dubious distinction of getting the smart traffic lights which will control the traffic based on the traffic volume and not on time. Onnyx the provider which maintains Delhi's traffic light system has installed smart traffic system at a prominent junction at Luyten's specifically at junction of k G Marg and Ferozeshah road. The system has been operational for the past 3 months and is running successfully. If confirmed then the entire traffic system infrastructure in Delhi would be revamped to accommodate the smart traffic system.

Quote:
The system replicates the human intelligence, but instead of a traffic policeman, "we want the system to do the job".

"As per this intelligent traffic system, at any given junction, a system of CCTV cameras will gather footage of traffic inflow and the change in the colour of the traffic light would be based on actual volume of traffic and volume of pedestrian traffic, and not timer-based," Kaushik said.

"It is what manually a traffic policeman does. It will allow vehicles to pass in the street as long as there is traffic on it, and then after clearing it, he switches to the other street at the junction,
More details in the link.
http://www.dnaindia.com/india/report...lights-2051597
ghodlur is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th January 2015, 12:13   #67
BANNED

@mukeshgoel; Someone must be crazy to drive fast in zero visibility. Let me add in the UK only about 10% of the traffic cameras are actually having a camera in them. The rest are just empty boxes.
Old 24th July 2020, 17:38   #68
BHPian

Keeping a track of Delhi's rapidly increasing speed cameras

Earlier this month woke up to two messages from Delhi Traffic Police (DTP) informing me that I had been fined for over-speeding. Logged into DTP's 'Sentinel' website to find the said challans, complete with high-res images of my car along with time and speed details.

One of the tickets was for doing 60 KMPH on the vast empty stretches of JNU-Munirka road (opposite the Vasant Kunj Malls) while the other one was for doing 57 KMPH while crossing the Safdarjung Road-Prithviraj Road signal. I paid the fines online and cleared the challans.

I wholeheartedly agree on the aspect of maintaining a safe vehicle speed; though can't help but notice that our speed limits are not only fairly low, poorly marked on the road but also vary abruptly around town.

Here's a TOI article highlighting the same:

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...w/71426231.cms

What's especially painful is that many, if not most, of DTP's speed cameras are strategically positioned on roads without much (if any) pedestrian activities and long-empty stretches. It's almost as if DP is daring you to go over 50 or knows that many will slip-up and this is the easiest Rs. 2000 to make in town.

It's funny that I have never seen DTP apprehend Delhi's infamous 'flyover reversing uncles' or 'wrong way on the roundabout aunties' - examples of genuinely dangerous driving. Not to mention the city's crumbling road infrastructure and poorly laid out roads - you'll see everything from very un-NCR like roads beyond Central and South Delhi while the butter-smooth Janpath gets relaid every year conspicuously around monsoon. 15 second green-signals on busy intersections, unevenly laid flyovers and absurd police barricading which Google Maps simply can't comprehend.

Waze has been a wallet-saver for me, and is about 80% accurate while marking out speed-cams. For some reason Google Maps, despite having a feature for users to mark out accidents and slow traffic, has not implemented provisions for alerting other drivers of speed cameras.

Wondering if fellow Delhi BHPians have any tips/tools/suggestions?
iamitp is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 24th July 2020, 18:29   #69
BHPian

re: Keeping a track of Delhi's rapidly increasing speed cameras

Trust me on this. If they wanted us to slow down, they would just install speed breakers. They have strategically put up speed cameras to make money and nothing else.

I think they installed a few at first during the test phase and realized that it was so lucrative that they could scale this up and make a crap ton of money. Which I believe they're making right now. Oh and I got a couple of challans too. One where I was doing 57 KMPH and another where I was close to 60 for my other car (being driven by my driver).

P.S Wait till the time the GOVT makes tracking speed cameras completely illegal for various apps. So there won't be any luck in that department in the near future.

Last edited by rahul_jo : 24th July 2020 at 18:33.
rahul_jo is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th July 2020, 18:32   #70
BANNED

Waze has very little speed cameras marked, at least in Delhi. I use this app Radar detector, have found it to have almost all the cameras i have noticed in NCR.

Here is the link https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...qfbz7sP2LSFsAs

It even buzzes your smartwatch if you find audio alerts distracting or irritating while playing music.
agambhandari is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 24th July 2020, 19:23   #71
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahul_jo View Post
Trust me on this. If they wanted us to slow down, they would just install speed breakers. They have strategically put up speed cameras to make money and nothing else.
Indeed, I heard the theory that Delhi Govt. is out of money due to lockdown and is maximising challans.

Quote:
Originally Posted by agambhandari View Post
Waze has very little speed cameras marked, at least in Delhi. I use this app Radar detector, have found it to have almost all the cameras i have noticed in NCR.
Thanks! Shall download this too.
iamitp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th July 2020, 21:49   #72
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamitp View Post
Indeed, I heard the theory that Delhi Govt. is out of money due to lockdown and is maximising challans.
Interestingly, Delhi Police (which includes Delhi Traffic Police) comes under administrative control of Central Govt and not Delhi Govt.

So, the theory of Delhi Govt. is out of money due to lockdown and is maximising challans stands vindicated.
Grr7 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 28th July 2020, 10:30   #73
BHPian

Guys i have also received multiple challans for 2 of my cars. A few of them say that they are now in virtual court and i dont see a payment option. Also the amount is too heavy - Rs 2000 for one of them. Many people have reported on youtube and various other websites that they have received the challans in error. I read earlier many of the challans were waived off-https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/india/1-5-lakh-speed-challans-on-nh-9-waived/articleshow/71605762.cms . I dont know what to do.I was thinking to wait for a few days to see a Traffic Adalat happening or something like waiving off being announced. Or should i pay them right away ?
Old 28th July 2020, 12:13   #74
BHPian

I too got challaned too last month for doing 61 kmph on a 3 lane road on Dwarka. Yet to pay up. I was impressed though by the quality of the picture and numberplate visibility at dusk. I could not however find a place to see the speed limits on various roads, any online link for the same as on roads they are not mentioned anyway.
Old 28th July 2020, 13:33   #75
J4J
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaSing View Post
I read earlier many of the challans were waived off-https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/india/1-5-lakh-speed-challans-on-nh-9-waived/articleshow/71605762.cms . I dont know what to do.I was thinking to wait for a few days to see a Traffic Adalat happening or something like waiving off being announced. Or should i pay them right away ?
The challan was waived off because the speed limit mentioned was 70 and people were fined for > 60kmph. Were you also challaned similarly? If yes, then you may register a complaint with proofs. It is best to pay off your challans timely.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks