Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st November 2009, 16:45   #1
Senior - BHPian

Bangalore - Gadag - Bangalore

Friends,

I need to attend a wedding in the family near Gadag on 27th.
we want to leave from Bangalore on 26th afternoon 3:30 PM after my daughter returns from school.

i did some route search on google maps, i found following options

1. Bangalore-Chitraduga - Hubli - Gadag (~ 430 KM)
2. Bangalore - Chitradurga - Hosapete - Gadag (~ 400 KM)
3. Bangalore - Chitradurga - Jagalur - Kotturu - Mundargi - Gadag (~390 KM)

I am more inclined towards driving to Hubli or Hosapete and stay for the night on 26th, and reach wedding place next day morning.

i wanted to know the road conditions from second and third options.
i am fairly aware of the road conditions till Hubli on NH4.

Aso i need specific directions towards Gadag from Hubli and or Hosapete.
if some one can suggest some good budget hotels it would great.
We would be 4 adults + 1 child, hence would need 2 double rooms.

thanks in advance for the suggetions and help.
Old 23rd November 2009, 09:53   #2
Senior - BHPian

Hey, guys, no response, common give me some inputs on this,

i am sure there are many BHPians from that part of karnataka
Old 23rd November 2009, 11:03   #3
Senior - BHPian

I dont know about other routes but Bangalore-Hubli-Gadag is a good one (eventhough it is bit leangthy). Looks like finally this part of the GD is near complete.
Old 23rd November 2009, 11:12   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

#1 : Safest option. But expect some bad roads between Hubli -Gadag.

#2 : No. Chitradurga-Hospet is a known 'to-avoid' stretch

#3 : Possibly better than #2. Alternatively, you can try Harihar - Harapanahalli - Mundargi- Gadag. I have done Harihar - Harapanahalli and that road was Good. But I have not done the Harapanahalli - Mundargi - Gadag.

Considering that you will start in the afternoon :
1. Halt at Hubli, go to Gadag in the morning.
2. Halt at Davangere & start in the morning. Decent hotels there. (if you want to do my suggested alternative to #3)
Old 23rd November 2009, 21:20   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
#1 : Safest option. But expect some bad roads between Hubli -Gadag.

#2 : No. Chitradurga-Hospet is a known 'to-avoid' stretch

#3 : Possibly better than #2. Alternatively, you can try Harihar - Harapanahalli - Mundargi- Gadag. I have done Harihar - Harapanahalli and that road was Good. But I have not done the Harapanahalli - Mundargi - Gadag.

Considering that you will start in the afternoon :
1. Halt at Hubli, go to Gadag in the morning.
2. Halt at Davangere & start in the morning. Decent hotels there. (if you want to do my suggested alternative to #3)
Thanks Guna and Candor for your inputs, i would consider these in my plan.

in fact we just decided that we would extend our trip on saturday / sunday to visit Hampi and around.

need to book some hotel rooms, any advice ?
Old 23rd November 2009, 21:50   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

On the return trip, Watch out for bad roads from Hampi back to NH-4

Stays :
Hubli - check Lamington Road for budget accomodation
Else Kamat Yatrinivas near SDM colleges (between Hubli & Dharwad) is new & may be the best bet.

Hospet / Hampi : check the threads by Samurai.

For 26th :
I strongly suggest you halt at Davangere, since you are starting so late in the day. Go into Davangere, and on to the old highway (Davangere- Harihar road). There are two good hotels on that road, both possibly after the Shell bunk.

By starting so late, you will reach Hubli pretty late to properly search for a hotel room.

Last edited by condor : 23rd November 2009 at 21:53. Reason: Adding Stay suggestions
Old 3rd December 2009, 11:05   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

@SV, how was the drive ? An update will help.
Old 3rd December 2009, 11:09   #8
SMK
BHPian

@SV, I am from a place between Hubli and Davangere called Haveri, I know there is a route from Haveri to Gadag, You do not have to go all the way to Hubli, After Haveri, there is a route which goes directly to Gadag and its pretty decent enough. This would save you some time and KMS on your car.
Old 3rd December 2009, 11:32   #9
BHPian

Bangalore - Tumkur - Chitradurga - Davangere-Harihar (Bypass both) - Ranebennur - Haveri - Bankapur Cross (Take a Right) - Savnur - Lakhmeshwara - Gadag
Distance is 410 Kms - Bangalore to Bankapur is 4 Lane and from Bankapur Cross to Gadag is 2 lane.
Do not venture in trying the Chitradurga - Mundargi stretch. Its only 2 lane and you have reddy's bro's mining lorries plying.

I am travelling this afternoon to Gadag (My Native) and returning on Monday through the same stretch.

For stay in Gadag, can try Gadag Restaurant near the railway station.

Let me know the place near Gadag where you are going, depending on that I can suggest you a nearest place of stay.

Oops late is checking the thread, Sorry

Last edited by deepakchiniwal : 3rd December 2009 at 11:38.
Old 3rd December 2009, 13:54   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
@SV, how was the drive ? An update will help.
My apologies, i forgot to post the update here in this thread. On Sunday evening 7 PM returned to Bangalore from Gadag (attending a marriage) and Hospet - Hampi trip.

Left Yelahanka Bangalore on Thursday (26th Nov) afternoon 3:30 PM and reached Hubli by 10:50 PM with two breaks in between for Tea (30 minutes) and 50 minutes (dinner @ Raneebennur BPCL Ghar dhabha). My nephew joined me on this trip and We were three adults plus one child in the car.

Stayed in a budget hotel Akshay Basant on Gokul Road at Hubli. It cost ~1000 RS for A/C room plus additional bed plus breakfast in the morning.
on 27th morning got ready by 8 AM, had breakfast, checked out and started towards Gadag by 8:45 AM, Road condition is excellent with several sunflower and chilly fields on either side of the road. The distance from Hubli to Gadag is some 60KMs. Reached Gadag by 9:45 AM. Attended the marriage, visited Veernarayana temple, had lunch and started towards Hospet at 3 PM. My Nephew had some work at Hubli and he proceeded on to his work. We were joined by my parents who had travelled to Gadag from Udupi the previous day. So we were 4 adults and one child in the car.

Reached TB Dam at Hospet by 5:30 PM. Spent the sun set time at the TB dam plus the garden there. There was a huge convoy of trucks in front of the TB dam, it took quite a while for us to reach the reached Hospet City by 7:30 PM, Checked into Yatri Nivas on Station road, had dinner and called it a day.

On 28th Nov, started toward Hampi at 8 AM after the breakfast reached Hampi by 8:20 (12 KM drive), engaged a guide for 800 RS for 6 hours site seeing, visited all major attractions, had lunch at Mayura Bhuvaneshwari (Veg buffet for RS 75 each, kid buffet for RS 50/-), visited more attractions, did some minor shopping at Hampi bazaar and started back towards Hospet by 5:30 PM, reached Hospet by 6 PM.
relaxed for the rest of the evening.

The Room tariff for A/C is RS 800 plus taxes and Non A/C is RS 450 plus taxes. The Hotel also has a resturant which serves good quality south indian food. We tried Dal Fry, Roti and Jeera Fried Rice for the dinner (on 27th & 28th), it was very good.

One of the problems we faced was frequent power cuts in Hospet town, Even though the Hotel had a generation set, the frequent switching on/off it creates problems in terms of operation lifts etc.

We enquired about the road conditions back to Bangalore, several people told us that the Hospet-Chitradurga distance is 120KMs and it is in bad condition. Hospet to Belary is about 60KM and it is bad but after Bellary Road to Bangalore is very good. So we made a decision to go via Bellary - Gooty - Anantpur - Bangalore.

Hospet-Bellary-Gooty stretch is one of the worst i have driven in my life and i would prefer not to travel on that streach again in my life. The actual Karnataka-AP Border is so bad that the moon surface might be better than these roads.

Reached Gooty by 1:45 PM, Took the lunch break at BPCL Ghar dhabha (immediately after Gooty) for about an hour, left by 2:45 PM after a not so great lunch except the Gobi Manchurian. Drove via Aanantpur, Penukonda and stopped ofr an evening tea break at Shantisagar, Chikballapur for about 30 minutes and reached Home by 7 PM

Total KMs driven 1030 KM
Total Fuel Consumed : ~ 70 Ltrs
Fuel Economy : ~ 14.5 KMPL
Fuel economy shown on the indicator : 15.8 KMPL

Thanks everyone for your inputs (especially Condor) prior to the trip.

Last edited by StarVegabond : 3rd December 2009 at 13:57.
Old 4th December 2009, 11:08   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarVegabond View Post

We enquired about the road conditions back to Bangalore, several people told us that the Hospet-Chitradurga distance is 120KMs and it is in bad condition. Hospet to Belary is about 60KM and it is bad but after Bellary Road to Bangalore is very good. So we made a decision to go via Bellary - Gooty - Anantpur - Bangalore.

Hospet-Bellary-Gooty stretch is one of the worst i have driven in my life and i would prefer not to travel on that streach again in my life. The actual Karnataka-AP Border is so bad that the moon surface might be better than these roads.

Reached Gooty by 1:45 PM, Took the lunch break at BPCL Ghar dhabha (immediately after Gooty) for about an hour, left by 2:45 PM after a not so great lunch except the Gobi Manchurian. Drove via Aanantpur, Penukonda and stopped ofr an evening tea break at Shantisagar, Chikballapur for about 30 minutes and reached Home by 7 PM

Total KMs driven 1030 KM
Total Fuel Consumed : ~ 70 Ltrs
Fuel Economy : ~ 14.5 KMPL
Fuel economy shown on the indicator : 15.8 KMPL

Thanks everyone for your inputs (especially Condor) prior to the trip.
Thanks for alert. I am planning to go to Hampi today afternoon. Have you tried Chitrdurga - Hsopet route?? How bad it is ? Any idea? Check out my posting http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ute-query.html
Old 4th December 2009, 11:27   #12
BHPian

@funda2max, Don't even think about chitradurga- hospet route. You will take 5 hours to drive 140 kms on this stretch. Extremly bad.

Instead I would advice that you take the bangalore-tumkur-sira-hiriyur-take a right turn towards Challakere(SH19)-Hanagal-Bellary.

from bellary to hampi, I am not sure how is the road though.
Old 4th December 2009, 14:10   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

@F2M, either go via Bellary side (turn right after Hiriyur), or go upto Harihar & turn right immed after the Harihar bus stand / Railway station.

@SV, that was good timing. But how did you end up on Gokul Rd instead of Lamington Road area for the hotel ?

Last edited by condor : 4th December 2009 at 14:11.
Old 4th December 2009, 14:22   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
@SV, that was good timing. But how did you end up on Gokul Rd instead of Lamington Road area for the hotel ?
Thanks, This hotel on gokul road was booked by my nephew via one of his friends. More over he knew the place, roads etc as he used to study at Dharwad few years ago.

Hey F2M

Whichever road you take to Hampi/Hospet, it is bound to have bad roads,
because Hospet-Bellary is the Bihar of Karnataka

you need to decide how less you want to suffer

from Bellary to Hospet, some 30-40% of the road is in very bad condition
more over there is bridge which has fallen, there would a huge blockade and they allow only one side vehicles to move through a mud filled detour.

Last edited by StarVegabond : 4th December 2009 at 14:26.
Old 7th December 2009, 10:38   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarVegabond View Post
Hey F2M

Whichever road you take to Hampi/Hospet, it is bound to have bad roads,
because Hospet-Bellary is the Bihar of Karnataka

you need to decide how less you want to suffer

from Bellary to Hospet, some 30-40% of the road is in very bad condition
more over there is bridge which has fallen, there would a huge blockade and they allow only one side vehicles to move through a mud filled detour.
Just came back from the trip and it was horrifying experience. I never seen such a bad roads in my life! It was very very hard to find a good stretch for 10m altogether in Chitradurga - Hospet road. It is best suited for mining lorries and other big vehicles. I had never seen 10KMs of traffic jam in my life. "Worst" is the least word to explain the present condition of the roads between Chitradurga - Hospet. don't drive in a car to hospet.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks