Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st May 2011, 00:48   #1
BHPian

Distance to Kodai, Ooty from Trivandrum

Hi guys,
I am planning a one day trip to either Kodai or Ooty from Trivandrum. I need help in fixing the route. Also I need to know which one of these can be done as a one day trip.
Old 21st May 2011, 01:18   #2
BHPian

Re: Distance to Kodai, Ooty from Trivandrum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutty Nair View Post
Hi guys,
I am planning a one day trip to either Kodai or Ooty from Trivandrum. I need help in fixing the route. Also I need to know which one of these can be done as a one day trip.
Hey nutty nair. I plan to do the same sometime in June/ I hope to catch the monsoons.When exactly do they begin in TVM? If you do manage a trip to either of these places, please do post a travelogue . Routing and other details would also be of great help.
Old 21st May 2011, 07:43   #3
Team-BHP Support

If its Kodai, you can a Theni/Thenmala roundtrip.

TVM-Kottakara-Kottayam-Kanjirapalli-Theni-Batalagundu-Kodai.
(There are interior roads n Kerala, but I think MC road would be faster.

Return:

Kodai-Batalagundu-Usilampatti-Sriviliputtur-Rajapalayam-Thenmala-Thenkasi-Ottakal-TVM.
(Not sure of the Usilampatti to the Srviliputtur stretch. Some one needs to confirm that)
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st May 2011, 08:11   #4
Senior - BHPian

I would do Kodai high-speed leaving early enough in the morning to whiz through NH47 to Nagercoil (1 hour), then on NH7 to Madurai (3 hrs), Dindigul (0.5 hrs) and then via Bathagundu to Kodai (2.5 hrs). Lunch at Kodai. Distance from Trivandrum to Dindigul is 360 kms, balance is 90 kms, totalling 450 kms. Total time taken could be 7 hours without breaks.

Going via MC Road-KK Road will be 410 kms, but speeds will be severely limited because of the curvy ghat roads. The most aggressive driver flinging his car around teh ghat roads will take 9 hours on this route.

Going via Tenkasi will mean you have to tackle ghat and curvy roads without any significant time advantage.

On the Madurai route, if you leave TVM at 4 am, expect to be in Kodai for lunch, leave by 5 pm and be back in TVM by 1-2 am. Does that make an aggressive speed run?
hvkumar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st May 2011, 16:03   #5
BHPian

Thank you, Kumar Sir.

Update
- trip extended to two days.
Had a discussion with my friends and has extended the trip to two days. The revised plan - start from Trivandrum on Friday evening, reach Kodai Saturday early morning, check into the accomodation, take rest for about 3 hours, sight seeing for the whole day, get some sleep during night and start return trip Sunday early morning from Kodai so as to reach Trivandrum in the evening.
The proposed route: Thenmala route while going to Kodai and the Nagercoil route while coming back.

The only catch in the above plan as far as I can see is the availability of rooms in Kodai. I think it is season time in Kodai what with the Flower Show and all. But one of my friends has said that he will take care of the accomodation part. So if the accomodation is assured, then I think this trip is a go.

Also, does any one know of the climate in Kodai now?
Old 21st May 2011, 17:50   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
I would do Kodai high-speed leaving early enough in the morning to whiz through NH47 to Nagercoil (1 hour), then on NH7 to Madurai (3 hrs), Dindigul (0.5 hrs) and then via Bathagundu to Kodai (2.5 hrs). Lunch at Kodai. Distance from Trivandrum to Dindigul is 360 kms, balance is 90 kms, totalling 450 kms. Total time taken could be 7 hours without breaks.?
You can take a detour ar Vadipatti /Kodai road rather than go all the way to Dindigul. Should save you another 20 kms.

Considering that nuttynair is planning a night drive NH7 is the best option, except for Tvm -Ngl stretch no other stretch would be painful.
Old 21st May 2011, 18:39   #7
Team-BHP Support

Only reason to suggest those twisties was to captures snaps on that beautiful stretch.
Given the photography buff nutty is, I thoughtthought he might enjoy the route.

But yes if nor, you want reach Kodai fastest nothing like the GQ to what HVK suggested.
But if you want to hit Oory, then take train to CBE and hire a cab.

Last edited by ampere : 21st May 2011 at 18:41.
Old 21st May 2011, 19:15   #8
Senior - BHPian

Nutty is planning for a night drive so I doubt he can do any photo shoots of the twisties. Since its a night drive NH7 is all the more better.
Old 21st May 2011, 19:21   #9
Team-BHP Support

Sorry Srikant, did not read the last post. Yes NH7 is best no doubt.
But Nutty you should plan the return by one of those twisties at least.

Thenmala would be ideal.
Old 21st May 2011, 23:50   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Sorry Srikant, did not read the last post. Yes NH7 is best no doubt.
But Nutty you should plan the return by one of those twisties at least.

Thenmala would be ideal.
ampere bhai, what I suggested to my friends was to go to Kodai via Nagercoil route and return via Thenmala route. That would have helped in taking photos as we would be returning during day time. But my friends have suggested it ulta, so at present the scope for photography lies only in Kodai. But I am trying to convince them otherwise.
Old 22nd May 2011, 15:15   #11
BHPian

Kodai:
To go north of Madurai from NH7 without entering the city try turning left at Thirumangalam towards Sholavandanam. The road is mostly well surfaced though narrow and has little traffic (Thirumangalam-Pallapatti road,SH73). Cross NH49, it rejoins NH7 at Pallapatti but before that junction turn left towards Vatlagundu. You get to see a bit of rural Tamilnad, usually green after the rains but dry at this time of the year.

Ooty:
I'm planning to do Trivandrum-Ooty in July. Was thinking of going through NH47south-NH7 till Dindigul, then Pollachi-Coimbatore-Mettupalayam as it is fastest. However now that Ernakulam-Thrissur is four-lane and an early start will avoid the morning traffic I think the standard NH47 north will be best.
Any comments?
Old 22nd May 2011, 19:13   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkrishk View Post
However now that Ernakulam-Thrissur is four-lane and an early start will avoid the morning traffic I think the standard NH47 north will be best.
Any comments?
I prefer the early start and NH47 route. I have left TVM at 3 am and reached Coimbatore at 815 am even in the olden days when all roads were 2-laned. That way you can beat the KL traffic before everyone wakes up.

Last edited by Vid6639 : 22nd May 2011 at 22:46. Reason: fixing the quote tags.
Old 22nd May 2011, 19:55   #13
Team-BHP Support

HVK, What/how is the CBE bypass on the west. In other words entry from the NH47 Kerala side and exit on to Mettupalam/Sathyamangalam. (NH67/NH209).
Old 22nd May 2011, 21:14   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
HVK, What/how is the CBE bypass on the west. In other words entry from the NH47 Kerala side and exit on to Mettupalam/Sathyamangalam. (NH67/NH209).
Unfortunately, if you are coming from the west, if you want to best connect to MTP/Sathy, you have to take Avinashi road till Karumathampatti and g via Anur. The other choice is to go into the city. But the route to do that is not complex at all, anyone can navigate the city easily.
Old 24th May 2011, 18:12   #15
BHPian

Friends, I would like to know whether any of you have details of any hotels/homestays in Kodai. Basically we are a gang of 6 friends, we are looking for basic accomodation. One of my friends had assured me to find the accomodation, but so far he has not been able to find any, so I am turning to you guys for help.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks