Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st June 2011, 22:08   #1
BHPian

Northward from Delhi

Hi Friends.

I'm flying to Delhi in the last week of july for some work. Traveling with my wife only.

i have about 4 free days in which i would like to go up north, target may be -- chandertal lake(not more) and 2 days only relax.

I don't have a car or any other vehicle. Budget is not much that i can hire a taxi all the way. Now, how to do this?

So, i request for some expert opinion from all you guys.

1. Travel (Delhi to kullu/manali and then upwards?)
2. Accomodation (in kullu/manali and up there too)
3. Food etc (shouldnt be of much concern)
Old 21st June 2011, 22:32   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Northward from Delhi

You need 1.5 days just for reaching Chandertal even with driving like a maniac.

You cannot reach that far. You may be better suited to hang around for Manali, or aronud Chitkul. Its a good route to take for Chitkul.
Old 22nd June 2011, 01:47   #3
Senior - BHPian

Talking of relaxing, you should be looking at places like Dhanaulti, Chakrata, Mukhteshwar, Naukucheatal-Bhimtal, Kasauli and the likes which would take 8-10 hours to reach by car. Besides the above and Kullu-Manali, Dalhousie (about 11-12 hours) is a good option too.

If you like to be in a busier place, consider the usual Simla, Mussourie, Nainital etc.
Old 22nd June 2011, 05:20   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Take night train to either Kalka or Kathgodam. Take taxi to near by places. Relax for three whole days. Take train back.

Train because it will save you time - travel while you are sleeping. ALternate is sleeper Volvo's.

Kalka - Nearby Kasauli, Shimla peripherals, Chail, Kufri, Narkanda

Kathgodam - Nearby Nanital, Pangot, Naukucheatal, Bhimtal

Take your pick. To add more to confusion you can consider night train to Jammu and do quick circuit of Vaishno Devi, Palampur and Dharamsala.
Old 22nd June 2011, 08:41   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudev View Post
ALternate is sleeper Volvo's.
Hmmmm.... how about volvo to manali , and then hire a bike? How's that for adventure. This will eat up my 2 days easily, rest i can come back n relax near manali. What say fellas?
Old 22nd June 2011, 10:01   #6
Senior - BHPian

I think the overnight Volvo bus to Manali is a good idea, you should have a whole day at your disposal on arrival at Manali. If you have 2 days with you, you can do a quick ride to Chandra tal assuming you have some place to stay at Chandra tal, Chhatru, etc.
Old 22nd June 2011, 10:05   #7
Senior - BHPian

chandertal is unreachable even on foot, 3 days back a doctor friend had to turn back, he is now doing Pin Valley and other places instead
Old 22nd June 2011, 10:29   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkbharat View Post
chandertal is unreachable even on foot, 3 days back a doctor friend had to turn back, he is now doing Pin Valley and other places instead
Any news when it will open?
unoczar is travelling only in July.
Old 22nd June 2011, 10:59   #9
Senior - BHPian

Volvo to Manali is a good option,the only problem is that the Volvos take close to 15-16hours on the road out of which close to 8-10 hours is high intensity ghat sections,so please bear in mind this aspect.The other option is to take the Shatabdi to Chandigarh and then take a bus to Manali,stress factor would be less.

IIRC,HPTDC used to operate Volvos from Chandigarh & Kalka stations to coincide with the Paschim Express & the Shatabdi Express arrivals,however those services were to Shimla,I am sure there must be something to Manali as well.
Old 22nd June 2011, 11:06   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkbharat View Post
What could be the reason, natural or otherwise?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
Ya, i'm going in July last week, how do we find out about the access to the lake? I hope HPTDC office will be of some help when i reach, but prior info would be of much help.
Old 22nd June 2011, 11:06   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
Volvo to Manali is a good option,the only problem is that the Volvos take close to 15-16hours on the road out of which close to 8-10 hours is high intensity ghat sections,so please bear in mind this aspect.The other option is to take the Shatabdi to Chandigarh and then take a bus to Manali,stress factor would be less.

IIRC,HPTDC used to operate Volvos from Chandigarh & Kalka stations to coincide with the Paschim Express & the Shatabdi Express arrivals,however those services were to Shimla,I am sure there must be something to Manali as well.
My son who travelled in a Volvo from Manali to Delhi reported that many fell sick simply by seeing other passengers throw up!!! Imagine all this in a closed-window Volvo!
Old 22nd June 2011, 11:10   #12
BHPian

I do have some resistance against those things(and both of us can handle it), but this is not helping.

Quote:
My son who travelled in a Volvo from Manali to Delhi reported that many fell sick simply by seeing other passengers throw up!!! Imagine all this in a closed-window Volvo!
Ewww!
Old 22nd June 2011, 11:15   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yes exactly,so true.Thats what happens in the Shimla & Manali Volvos all the while.I once spoke to a driver at Manali who does Manali-Delhi and he was telling me he is fed up doing the route,because every 10-20mins he gets requests for Throw-Up stops from the passengers which invariably takes a hit on his average speeds.Apple Juice is the only saviour in those parts since it contains an acidity regulator that keeps people from throwing up.
Old 22nd June 2011, 12:41   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

Interesting tip ranjitp1

My whole idea of not proposing Manali was the time it take by road and with limited time at hand this is last thing you want to waste. But hey hiring bikes at end of the journey throws up interesting possibilities. (throw up pun intended in view of other posts). Hire and tour less travelled area of Tirthan valley and may be even alternate route to Bilaspur over the old pass.

There are simply too many possibilities and it all depends on you and your companion to decide. I always look for road less travelled and explore my way.
Old 22nd June 2011, 12:54   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
No exact dates, but do not expect it to open by mid july, the start clearing it only after Kumzum is clear and stable

Quote:
Originally Posted by unoczar View Post
What could be the reason, natural or otherwise?
Completely blocked with snow

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks