Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th May 2015, 14:51   #16
Team-BHP Support

Re: Renting car in Austria - Is IDP required

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annibaddh View Post
Hi Tanveer,

Am planning a similar drive. Basically up from Verona (Italy) to Innusbruck via Dolomites and then back to Verona via Lake Como. Did you drive through international borders? Did you get only one IDP? For which country?

Help much appreciated!!

Ashish
Renting a car in Austria does not require IDP, only original license in English. I am told Italian cops may give grief without IDP, but personally never faced this issue.
Old 10th May 2015, 17:19   #17
RJK
Senior - BHPian

I have rented in Italy on two occasions, both without IDP and with my paper type Indian license. Another time in Innsbruck with the same license, drove into Stelvio and Grossglockner passes. Wasn't stopped or asked for my license anywhere. Maybe I was just lucky. But both rental agencies were not fussy about IDP.
Old 17th October 2015, 15:25   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Renting a car in Austria does not require IDP, only original license in English. I am told Italian cops may give grief without IDP, but personally never faced this issue.
Right then. Finished the drive and for the benefit of the larger crowd:

1. You do need an IDP for driving in both Austria and Italy.

2. The rental agency also required the IDP and checked it thoroughly before giving us the car (Hertz, Venice Mestre Railway Station)

3. For those getting their IDPs issued in Rajasthan (I got mine from Jaipur RTO) they've started issuing these weird Paper IDPs (A4 size) as against the old booklet type, which did not have the translations either. Will post the pictures once I write the travelogue for the trip. Hertz created quite a ruckus about it too and I was lucky to be able to contact the reps' superiors on a Saturday afternoon.

4. Other useful info: Car rental offices in Italy are closed on Sunday and open only for a half day on Saturday (ranging between till 12:30 to 2:30 PM)
Annibaddh is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks