Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st August 2011, 04:11   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Gurgaon - Valley of Flowers : routes, accommodation, surrounding places

bhai,

I would disagree with this plan.

You are taking the easier part slowly and the tougher part quickly (esp with your parents). Driving to joshimath is entirely possible in a day. Breaking at haridwar both ways makes very little sense. atleast on the way out (you want to keep max buffer for visit/trekking)

Day 7 seems rather crowded - since auli is a bit on the other side, no?
Day 7/8 totals dont add up. pipalkoti is much earlier and u've instead added time.

PS: Why taking taxi? Reg us - We'll be driving back from the same area (50% VoF, 50% gangotri plan) - we've budgeted driving straight back to delhi without night stops!!

Last edited by phamilyman : 1st August 2011 at 04:29.
phamilyman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st August 2011, 08:42   #17
Team-BHP Support

Thanks for the reply!

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
You are taking the easier part slowly and the tougher part quickly (esp with your parents). Driving to joshimath is entirely possible in a day.
Ok, will consider that.

Quote:
Breaking at haridwar both ways makes very little sense. atleast on the way out (you want to keep max buffer for visit/trekking)
But it's worth stopping at Haridwar for local sight-seeing, right? We'll re-think the stopover plan.

Quote:
Day 7 seems rather crowded - since auli is a bit on the other side, no? Day 7/8 totals dont add up. pipalkoti is much earlier and u've instead added time.
What do you suggest?

Quote:
PS: Why taking taxi?
Have an ANHC and Zen in the garage at Gurgaon; doubt either of these cars can handle the terrain there.
Old 1st August 2011, 21:32   #18
Senior - BHPian

I have replied inline.
Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
But it's worth stopping at Haridwar for local sight-seeing, right? We'll re-think the stopover plan.
Do it in the return so u can drop it if there is any major delays. see HWR can be seen from delhi any ways on a weekend really.

Have an ANHC and Zen in the garage at Gurgaon; doubt either of these cars can handle the terrain there.
My swift is going to handle it
It already did a lot back in Jan 09: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...ml#post1146327
Attachment 93616

and the roads in where youre going are going to be much better. Indicabs do it ALL the time, fully loaded

Last edited by phamilyman : 1st August 2011 at 21:37.
Old 1st August 2011, 22:04   #19
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I have replied inline.

Attachment 93616

and the roads in where youre going are going to be much better. Indicabs do it ALL the time, fully loaded
What about landslides, rocky roads?

And parking facility at Joshimath/Govindghat?
Old 2nd August 2011, 00:02   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
What about landslides, rocky roads?

And parking facility at Joshimath/Govindghat?
Bhai mere,

you're WAY overthinking it.

a. If a landslide falls on your OWN car - then it doesn't matter whether you're in an innova or ANHC - you're toast. on the road - then wait in queue for it to be cleared.

b. You didnt' see the attachment i linked - the swift took on those kinda roads back then in himachal - even now we expect only little patches. max 10-20km but nothing earth shattering. no one's going to fly over those patches anyway.

c. Usage of government approved image of Gandhiji should do the trick - check with the hotels and maybe try to set a price. or park Just like anyone else. You're anyways traveling light so shouldnt be leaving luggage behind for unwanted elemnts either.

PS: We're driving to gangotri ourselves the 15th weekend!

Last edited by phamilyman : 2nd August 2011 at 00:08.
Old 2nd August 2011, 08:21   #21
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Bhai mere,

you're WAY overthinking it.

a. If a landslide falls on your OWN car - then it doesn't matter whether you're in an innova or ANHC - you're toast. on the road - then wait in queue for it to be cleared.
Lol!

What I meant was - if there's a landslide ON THE ROAD, will the ANHC handle those roads.

I want to take the City, High Command is not so convinced - hence the doubts. A few others on other threads and forums have advised against taking sedans, hence mum is in doubt.

Quote:
c. Usage of government approved image of Gandhiji should do the trick - check with the hotels and maybe try to set a price. or park Just like anyone else. You're anyways traveling light so shouldnt be leaving luggage behind for unwanted elemnts either.
When you travelled, where did you park? That could give me an idea.

Quote:
PS: We're driving to gangotri ourselves the 15th weekend!
When do you plan to be around the VOF area?
Old 2nd August 2011, 10:13   #22
Senior - BHPian

There is a car parking lot in Gobindghat.
Remember there are convoy timings in the Joshimath-Gobindghat-Badrinath sector.
Your car can take this sector quite well, it is fully 2WD territory.
Taxis in UK - I have found them reckless, badly maintained - you put your life in jeopardy travelling in them!
Keep extra time & food provisions for land slides.
Do stop over in Hardwar so that you see the evening aarti on the Ganga.
hvkumar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2011, 10:37   #23
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
There is a car parking lot in Gobindghat.
Remember there are convoy timings in the Joshimath-Gobindghat-Badrinath sector.
Your car can take this sector quite well, it is fully 2WD territory.
Taxis in UK - I have found them reckless, badly maintained - you put your life in jeopardy travelling in them!
Keep extra time & food provisions for land slides.
Do stop over in Hardwar so that you see the evening aarti on the Ganga.
That's re-assuring!

We'll be taking the City, hope it is fine.

Any suggestions on the itinerary?
Old 2nd August 2011, 11:41   #24
Senior - BHPian

I have replied inline.
Quote:
Lol!

What I meant was - if there's a landslide ON THE ROAD, will the ANHC handle those roads.
Like every other car. Assuming you will be sensible/slow enough and the car will not have a bottomed out suspension!

I want to take the City, High Command is not so convinced - hence the doubts. A few others on other threads and forums have advised against taking sedans, hence mum is in doubt.
Most of that advise is typically given by well meaning people who don't know jack. HVK took his Matiz to leh. 2010 someone took a skoda to leh. so many guys take the swift to leh.

ofc, if there's a unprecedented washout, then you wait a day or two - but even that is an extremely rare incident and even then, your ANHC will handle it far better than the crap taxis.

When you travelled, where did you park? That could give me an idea.
I will go there - on 12th. Don't think too much - there's always sarkari parking in these areas, or you can fix up with a hotel. Little value in overplanning.

When do you plan to be around the VOF area?
We'll do VOF if the gangotri route is blocked but the plan is to do gaumukh as of now.
our itinerary is simple.
leave 12Aug 0000 from GZB - reach Rishikesh by 5am (in time for checkpost opening). Reach gangotri (another 250km) by evening, come what may.
Trek on 12 & 13 aug. If we are fitter than I think - we will return to harsil on 14th morning and trek somemore there.
15th is just a rip back home - to crossrishikesh by sundown to avoid the 8pm closure of the gates.

Last edited by phamilyman : 2nd August 2011 at 11:43.
phamilyman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2011, 13:28   #25
Team-BHP Support

^^ Thanks!

We will take the ANHC for this trip, no doubts now I've been itching to take our own ride, folks needed some convincing.

HVK Sir mentioned about specific timings for vehicles to leave from Joshimath. What are those?
Old 2nd August 2011, 14:31   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
^^ Thanks!

We will take the ANHC for this trip, no doubts now I've been itching to take our own ride, folks needed some convincing.

HVK Sir mentioned about specific timings for vehicles to leave from Joshimath. What are those?
AS far as my knowledge goes, the timings at both sides (Joshimath & Badrinath) are as follows:
630 am,900 am,1130 am,200 pm,430 pm

Further, I believe that all roads beyond Srinagar are closed between 8 pm & 6 am.
However, I will await more regular travellers to UK to comment on these timings since I have no current update.
hvkumar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2011, 20:07   #27
Team-BHP Support

Fellas, here's the revised itinerary.

Please advice; we will do the hotel bookings tomorrow.

PS phamilyman : notice the "... by car...."
Attached Thumbnails
Gurgaon - Valley of Flowers : routes, accommodation, surrounding places-vof.jpg  

Old 4th August 2011, 07:11   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
After driving a hyd friend around yesterday in our areas, who was aghast at the move he was making (out of comfort zone, and what roads/civic infrastructure) - I realized that every km you drive on gurgaon roads you get 10% jams and 30% battered roads (atleast for sohna road folks).

In comparison you will not even get 5% jams or 10% bad roads in the whole route. So its much better for the car to drive to gangotri than to drive it around gurgaon (esp where we both live!!) !
Old 4th August 2011, 10:27   #29
Team-BHP Support

^^ LOL! I know, South City 2, Sohna rd are possibly the best places for an OTR meet!

Btw, since you haven't commented on the previous post, I take it that the itinerary is fine.
Old 4th August 2011, 11:53   #30
BHPian

Quote:
^^ Thanks!

Would look forward to detailed updates from your end and will just copy & paste your details onto my travel plan.

Am reading this thread very attentively.

Only problem is I will be travelling with a husband (who hates to drive, and if asked to, drives like a maniac) and 3 kids aged 13, 16+ and 20+. The genre of rock music they patronise drives me nuts.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks