Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th September 2011, 16:22   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Indian Railways New VRM Ticket.

What is the need for them to see the screenshot on Laptop/Mobile? I don't have a smartphone and I cannot always carry the laptop with me. As long as I am able to show the original ID card in the name of booking, that should be fine. I still feel the Business analysts at the Indian railways are not smart enough to introduce a process which is customer friendly. For me, carrying a print out of the ticket is more comfortable than carrying my laptop to show them the screenshot.

Let them first concentrate on the hygiene factor please. I have never seen a station in India which is clean, has options of clean drinking water, Customer friendly helpdesk. I have never seen a train which has clean berth, odourless compartment and hygiene toilet.

On a side note, during my travel from Manchester to Chennai. I checked in just by showing my passport. No printouts of the ticket.

Last edited by rameshnanda : 27th September 2011 at 16:27.
Old 27th September 2011, 16:44   #17
BHPian

Its a nice move by IRCTC, but initially they should make all ticket checkers in the train as well as platforms aware of this. And what happens if my laoptop has no charge after reaching destination? will the TT at platform provide me a charging point to show VRM
Old 27th September 2011, 16:50   #18
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rameshnanda View Post
What is the need for them to see the screenshot on Laptop/Mobile? I don't have a smartphone and I cannot always carry the laptop with me. As long as I am able to show the original ID card in the name of booking, that should be fine. I still feel the Business analysts at the Indian railways are not smart enough to introduce a process which is customer friendly. For me, carrying a print out of the ticket is more comfortable than carrying my laptop to show them the screenshot.
Well, they are taking a step towards reducing paper usage; why is it a bad thing?!

They haven't said you can't take print-outs. They have merely made things simple for those who can use the system and also reduce paper consumption.

Shouldn't we be lauding them instead of criticizing?

And with our population, there are probably crores of people with the same name/surname - Sharma, Joshi etc. Just ID would lead to possible misuse of the facility.

Quote:
Let them first concentrate on the hygiene factor please. I have never seen a station in India which is clean, has options of clean drinking water, Customer friendly helpdesk. I have never seen a train which has clean berth, odourless compartment and hygiene toilet.
There's a lot they can do. Until they do, let's appreciate the steps they are taking. What say?
Old 27th September 2011, 16:56   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by asdon View Post
Its a nice move by IRCTC, but initially they should make all ticket checkers in the train as well as platforms aware of this.
Indian Railway is too slow in updating their ticket checkers. Long back, I had to travel without a printout and had a tough time to convince the TTE for Rs. 50 fine system. This guy checked with some others over phone and finally agreed

Be ready for similar incidents at least for initial weeks.
Old 27th September 2011, 17:06   #20
BHPian

Very good initiative by Indian Railways and yes, we need to give credit where it is due. Just read this while booking tickets and here it is.

Good Job. Keep it up!.

Special thanks to the original poster / thread starter.
Old 27th September 2011, 20:56   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I have never seen a train which has clean berth, odourless compartment and hygiene toilet.
Well for starters,the Duronto series of trains are uber clean and spic and span.
Old 27th September 2011, 21:03   #22
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
Well for starters,the Duronto series of trains are uber clean and spic and span.
I think the reason for this is, the train doesn't stop at any station during the journey except for change of guard/food loading/water etc. Basically, only mechanical stops.

That ensures hawkers, beggars etc. don't get in.
Old 27th September 2011, 23:08   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
I think the reason for this is, the train doesn't stop at any station during the journey except for change of guard/food loading/water etc. Basically, only mechanical stops.

That ensures hawkers, beggars etc. don't get in.
Not always. Don't expect that all Duronto's are neat. Below is the photo which I have taken in the Coimbatore-Chennai Duronto. The switch board near my seat was out and not fixed even after I complained the same to the TTE.
Attached Thumbnails
Indian Railways New VRM Ticket.-image055.jpg  

Indian Railways New VRM Ticket.-image056.jpg  

Old 29th September 2011, 16:27   #24
BHPian

Last 3 weeks(weekends) i've been travelling with VRM as a valid ticket. But the issue is some of the TTEs are not aware this and its really frustrating to explain/make them to read the instruction in the ticket. Almost 10 mins i've to fight with them(in total 6 journeys, only 2 TTEs were known this VRM facility). According one TTE, even though irctc introduced this from august, railway sent seperate circular to all the TTEs during 1st week of september and its TTE's mistake that they were not reading the instruction properly :(

This week i've decided to carry printout and avoid unecessary arguments with them:( Since last sunday when i travelled, the TTE was not accepted this even after i showed the VRM instruction in the ticket and on top of that he was telling like, I will accept only if IR tells and IRCTC is completely different entity. Then i finally i agreed to pay the fine, but insisted him to mention that i showed him mobile ticket/VRM in the receipt. After this only he left saying that i will check with my seniors and will come back!
Old 1st October 2011, 00:31   #25
Senior - BHPian

I came by a train with the VRM. It started at 9 PM. The TTE came at 11Pm and woke me up. I was in deep sleep. I told him I have VRM ticket. He asked to show. I showed the screen shot and was taking the ID he told O K. He was an young TTE. He knew that. As per ROCK. He struggled all the time. Ya we have to argue and struggle. You are right you pay and demand the written thing about paying fine after showing VRM. Let them give in written or allow us. In the mean time to help the TTE I always keep the instruction printout which I took during my first journey. Now also you can order Maharaja Thali in Comesum by phone and any meal to Ambica restaurent in Vizak. Try to use the services.
Old 7th October 2011, 12:31   #26
Senior - BHPian

e-Ticket now has complete address

Little . I took an e-ticket printout yesterday to give it to my father ( he doesn't have a hi-fi phone to show VRM ticket with screenshot).

Surprised to see that IRCTC had changed the printing format and now one can see the complete mailing address of the person who booked the ticket as per his/her profile stored in IRCTC database. Earlier only mobile number was shown, but now the entire address is printed along with mobile number.

IMO, this will be a serious privacy issue, because in case if someone leaves the e-ticket without shredding it, any one can misuse the information.

It has Name, complete mailing address, age details etc in the e-ticket which is almost sufficient for confirming identity in some of tele-conversations with other service providers like mobile phone operators, insurance companies, banks (?), etc...

-Ravi
Old 7th October 2011, 12:58   #27
BHPian

Re: e-Ticket now has complete address

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravib View Post
Little . I took an e-ticket printout yesterday to give it to my father ( he doesn't have a hi-fi phone to show VRM ticket with screenshot).

Surprised to see that IRCTC had changed the printing format and now one can see the complete mailing address of the person who booked the ticket as per his/her profile stored in IRCTC database. Earlier only mobile number was shown, but now the entire address is printed along with mobile number.

IMO, this will be a serious privacy issue, because in case if someone leaves the e-ticket without shredding it, any one can misuse the information.

It has Name, complete mailing address, age details etc in the e-ticket which is almost sufficient for confirming identity in some of tele-conversations with other service providers like mobile phone operators, insurance companies, banks (?), etc...

-Ravi
+1.

Even I took print out of e-ticket for my father and was surprised to see my address (though old one) on it. I think some wise brain at irctc for reasons best known to him, came up with this idea while redesigning the ticket page.

Otherwise VRM is a good idea, totally support it.
Old 7th October 2011, 14:49   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

-Ravi
Quote:
Originally Posted by kamboj View Post
+1.

Even I took print out of e-ticket for my father and was surprised to see my address (though old one) on it. I think some wise brain at irctc for reasons best known to him, came up with this idea while redesigning the ticket page.

Otherwise VRM is a good idea, totally support it.
This is indeed shocking. As I said earlier, the Business Analysts at Indian Railways are still not smart enough to implement a process which is customer friendly and secure.
Old 7th October 2011, 15:13   #29
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by kamboj View Post
I think this is why they must've started this system.

With the VRM Ticket coming into picture, the ID Proof is now a very important document to validate the VRM Ticket. And apart from the PAN card/Voter ID, generally all ID proofs have the address mentioned on them. Maybe, Railways plans to check IDs for all types of tickets and hence included the address in the e-ticket print.

Privacy issue without doubt.
Old 7th October 2011, 15:36   #30
BHPian

Why ERS/VRM in the first place?
You have valid Id card and your name is in the list.
I really couldn't understand why ERS/VRM should be shown.
Any railways employee here to clarify?
iamswift is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks