Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th September 2011, 12:00   #1
Senior - BHPian

Indian Railways New VRM Ticket.

Indian Railway has followed by the ERS electronic ticket, it has silently introduced VRM electronic railway ticket. This facility allow the passenger to travel with out printed ticket. As per the new ticketing system the railway says that in a day we can save 3 lakh A4 paper. As usual we can book the E ticket and we can take a screen shot in the Lap top or mobile and show it as and when required by the TTE. The details as per the railway version is given below. So let us use the VRM Facility and save the environment. I used it lost night but poor railway did not inform the TTEs on the train. We had small argument and the TTE accepted. The TTe on my second journey with VRM after getting convinced noted as MTP agains my name in the chart and told that he explained as Mobile ticket proof.

RAILWAY VERSION OF VRM

Electronic Reservation Slip (ERS) - The printout in standard specified Performa containing reservation particulars, and instructions for use which can be used by the passenger along with the relevant authorizedIdentification, as travel authority for performing the journey.

Virtual Reservation Message (VRM) - A screen-shot of the e-ticket displayed through laptops/palmtops/ Mobile phone is referred as Virtual Reservation Message (VRM).

ERS/VRM along with any one of the eight prescribed ID proofs in original and the indication of the passenger(s)' name(s) in the Reservation Chart will authorize the passenger to travel.

VRM combined with valid photo-id in original will be treated as an instrument on par with the ERS.

ERS/VRM along with one of the eight prescribed proofs of identity in original will also authorize the passenger to enter the platform on the day of journey and he/she will not be required to purchase platform ticket. ERS/VRM along with original id proof will be required to be produced on demand of Ticket Checking Staff on the platform.

Last edited by navan49 : 24th September 2011 at 12:07.
navan49 is offline   (24) Thanks
Old 24th September 2011, 12:09   #2
BHPian

Re: Indian Railways New VRM Ticket.

Thank you for the useful information. It would be appreciated if you could post an official source for this info.
Old 24th September 2011, 12:13   #3
BANNED

Good Move. Now no need of Print Out now. The smartphone culture is growing and it save paper too.

Source: https://www.irctc.co.in/VRM.htm
Old 24th September 2011, 12:23   #4
Team-BHP Support

Extremely good move by the Railways; I'm really impressed.

In due course, they'll realize if there are any drawbacks and loopholes and hopefully make the system better.

I've always felt, we waste TREMENDOUS amounts of paper through ticket prints; glad someone is taking an initiative.

I just pray no one misuses this system.

Movie theatres already accept ticket confirmation SMSs; hope airlines start too.

Last edited by libranof1987 : 24th September 2011 at 12:25.
Old 24th September 2011, 13:07   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

I just got mail from ngpay, and they too have started the same for KSRTC.

Quote:
Now just show the m-ticket on your phone, when you book KSRTC tickets on ngpay. Yet another reason for you to book all your travel tickets with your mobile phone on ngpay.
Source: ngpay - India's largest mall on mobile
dhanushs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th September 2011, 13:21   #6
Senior - BHPian

You could go without paper ticket earlier as well, had to pay a penalty of Rs.50/- though. I have done that a couple of times when I booked my tickets while traveling which meant could not take paper print outs. Now though with VRM the penalty component has been removed I hope.
Old 24th September 2011, 13:27   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pypkmsrikanth
You could go without paper ticket earlier as well, had to pay a penalty of Rs.50/- though. I have done that a couple of times when I booked my tickets while traveling which meant could not take paper print outs. Now though with VRM the penalty component has been removed I hope.
+1 I travelled quite a few times in past 2 years without e ticket and paid 50 rs fine with receipt. I had to show the identity proof only.
Old 24th September 2011, 13:30   #8
Senior - BHPian

What about the sms that comes to the mobile number with the pnr number. is that considered a valid thing??
Old 24th September 2011, 14:04   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deky View Post
What about the sms that comes to the mobile number with the pnr number. is that considered a valid thing??
I don't think the SMS will be valid as it leaves out the seat and coach number.

Either screen shot or email that comes will work.

Great initiative by Railways!
Old 24th September 2011, 15:01   #10
BHPian

Great initiative... Since Many a times I had to run in search of printers in the streets to take a printout.

What I would have loved would be an SMS which could pass as a ticket.
Like for instance Book my show tickets.

Just avoids the inconvenience of having a screenshot and stuff.
Old 24th September 2011, 19:08   #11
BHPian

Thanks for the information. This is a very good move by Indian railways. Though I still feel paper ticket is more convenient and faster for the TTE to verify. But definitely can save the 50 bucks if one forgets to take a printout. I always print to PDF as soon as i book the ticket, for future printing. Now, i'll make sure to send it to my email ID to access from mobile case of emergency.I had my mobile network failed on me most when it was needed badly on trains. So need to make sure it is available offline too!
Old 24th September 2011, 19:25   #12
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
I've always felt, we waste TREMENDOUS amounts of paper through ticket prints; glad someone is taking an initiative..
Me thinks is just a shift in pattern on environmental degradation. Manufacture of screens PDAs and computers causes much damage.

But still , better to reduce one way when environmental abuse increases the other way I guess.

I hope the image will display well on my cell. What about those will tiny screens?

--Ragul
Old 24th September 2011, 19:58   #13
Senior - BHPian

It was true that we can travel without ticket after e booking but the fine has to be paid. SMS will work out or not but the screen shot is the best. The network is not necessary to show the VRM, even the screen shot can be sent as SMS and open and keep it off line. What I did was Booked the ticket in my PC.Then opened in the booked history in my mobile and gave print command then did screen shot with out printing. That ticket I used.
Old 27th September 2011, 15:42   #14
BHPian

Dial a meal from train, get delivery at next station

Commuters will soon be able order meals over the phone while travelling in long distance trains and have it delivered at the next station, under a "book a meal" scheme that the Railways plans to implement by the year-end.

Indian Railways' move to improve its catering services will begin with the "book a meal" scheme. The Railway Board has asked all zonal railways to implement the scheme in three months. Under the scheme, a passenger can order a meal on certain mobile/telephone numbers in advance through an SMS.

A senior official said, "If a passenger is travelling by a long distance train from Mumbai , he may want to have dinner when the train reaches Surat. He can order food an hour before the train reaches Surat. When the train reaches the station, the food will be distributed by the pantry team based on seat and coach number provided by the passenger."

In the western region, the scheme, which will be implemented at major junctions, is expected to be first introduced at stations like Kalyan, Pune, Baroda and Ahmedabad.

The official said, "The mobile number will be widely publicised." To avoid overcharging , rates of food items will be available through SMS. Commuters can book either a standard vegetarian or non-vegetarian lunch or dinner.

"We are examining if a choice of deluxe lunch or dinner , which will have larger variety, can also be offered ," the official said. Meals under this scheme will be cooked at base kitchens located at various stations and are expected to be fresher and more hygienic when compared with pantry car services . "It is tougher to prepare or conserve food in a moving train," the official said. In fact, if the system proves to be successful the Railways may scrap with the attached pantry cars.

For now, the Railways has also decided to improve the overall quality of pantry car services. The board has instructed that every pantry car should have a manager whose mobile number will be available in the commercial control office of the division. The manager will be responsible for all actions of the staff in the pantry car.
Source: Economic Times
Old 27th September 2011, 16:17   #15
BHPian

IRCTC should also provide option of adding meal while doing reservation for all trains, at a discounted rate. Offer it to 2A/3A as a piot. Why not follow what a lot of the airlines are doing?

For one, the money is collected upfront and you need not worry about missing calling the number or the person taking the order.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks