Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th October 2011, 23:36   #1
BHPian

Planning a honeymoon road trip from Bangalore

Hi Guys,

A very close friend of mine is getting married on nov 12th. Iam in charge of planning his honeymoon. We will be 2 couples. There is no shortage of time and we can afford 8-10days. We plan to leave Bangalore on Nov 16th.Iam thinking of covering Kerala right from the top. 2 days will be spent at our estate in Coorg. After that, I need to plan. The trip must cover atleast 1 beach, backwaters, 1 hill station and a forest.

I was thinking of going to Kappad beach/calicut for a night from Madikeri. From there onwards, I need help from all the teambhp members. It would also help if some good places of accommodation can be mentioned ( not too expensive ~ 2k-3k/night at max ). Main criteria is to stay away from the crowd and just relax, even if we do not do much of sightseeing. Would also help if the best routes/roads can be suggested as well.

Waiting for all the travel bugs to pour in suggestions.

Regards,
Zahed
Old 27th October 2011, 23:57   #2
Team-BHP Support

re: Help Plan a honeymoon road trip from Bangalore

Quote:
Originally Posted by princezahed View Post
Waiting for all the travel bugs to pour in suggestions.
Discounting sequencing.

A Hill station : Munnar/Valparai
Backwaters : Kumarakom/Allepey

Varkala is also nice. Kumarakom can end up being costly as I remember seeing many 5 star properties.
Valparai has tea estate bungalows which can be booked 2 couples in a bungalow. (Much more silent than Munnar)

Valparai-Athirapally-Ernakulam-Kumrakom/Allepey can form a good loop.
Old 28th October 2011, 00:05   #3
Senior - BHPian

Are you serious about planning a rod trip for honeymoon? I am against it.

Let the newly wed take a flight or train and avoid the hassle of road and road rage they may witness.
Old 28th October 2011, 00:15   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
Are you serious about planning a rod trip for honeymoon? I am against it.

Let the newly wed take a flight or train and avoid the hassle of road and road rage they may witness.
I will be the one driving all along and I have done road trips earlier as well. It will be 4 of us totally. There is no fun in conducted tours. The idea is to get away and just relax so that the new couple can get to know each other better.

I find no joy in taking a train/flight and rush through a trip that is usually conducted.
princezahed is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th October 2011, 01:20   #5
BHPian

My Suggestions:

The following would be the best bet:
Bangalore -> Coorg/Madikeri -> Calicut ( OR some other beach close to this place) you can take a route via Wayanad and plan for a night stay at Wayanad -> Guruvayoor ( Customary temple halt in case you are interested) -> Allepey/Kumarakom - > Gavi - > Thekkady/Periyar wildlife sanctuary (Short pitstop here) -> Munnar/Valparai -> Return Via Ooty to Mysore (Or directly to Bangalore Via beautiful Salem NH7 road -> Bangalore

You can delete Ooty, I just added in case time permits. No other reason.

Some Links:
Gavi
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...vved-gavi.html

Hill Station:
Obviously Munnar. No second thoughts
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...r-vagamon.html

Backwaters: Kumarakom and Allepey
But Kumarakom has all 5 star hotels (Taj and the likes). We did not find an accomodation below 7k there in 2010.

I have not been to any beaches in Kerala apart from Kovalam and Cochin. So I cannot comment on it. But if you want in Karnataka, Karwar and beaches close to that place are pretty good
Link to my travelogue:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...ll-2-days.html

I have read elsewhere in the forum that the roads in Kerala are horrible currently. So be ready to make slow progress. The route I mentioned should be about 1800 kms.

Adding details:
Aranyaka Resort is good in Munnar and you can get cottage (2 bedrooms) close to Atukkad falls view at about 5k.

Last edited by himavanth_m : 28th October 2011 at 01:23.
Old 28th October 2011, 06:16   #6
Senior - BHPian

muzhappilangad beach. courtesy HVK who suggested me this beach. only one ok resort there but the water and the beach is fantastic
Old 28th October 2011, 07:54   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
muzhappilangad beach. courtesy HVK who suggested me this beach. only one ok resort there but the water and the beach is fantastic
You missed a major point! This is the only drive-in beach in the country.

Your main criteria is staying away from the crowd so exploring north Kerala is a better option. Few suggestions;

1) Kasaragod - Bekal beach/fort
2) Wayanad - Hill station, lake, falls
3) Kannur - Muzhapilangad beach, Aralam wildlife sanctury, Snake Park, Backwater, kannur fort, Payyambalam beach, Thottada beach, Kizhunna beach, Paithal Mala
4) Kozhikode - Kappad beach

But driving will be a problem, traffic and road condition is bad after the monsoon.
Old 28th October 2011, 08:28   #8
Senior - BHPian

My plan would be as follows:

Coorg-Meppadi (Valentine Villa Resort, Meppadi, 04936- 236112, 09895089727)-Kozhikode (day visit to Kappad)-Alapuzha (houseboat, Sabu, 09447056684)-Munnar-Bangalore
hvkumar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th October 2011, 10:04   #9
Senior - BHPian

I would also recommend the route given by HVK. It is simple straight forward route.

Some suggestions

Stay - In Munnar, you can try Tall Trees. Welcome to The Tall Trees Resorts, Munnar Indulge once in a while and bargain to get good price. I have heard good reviews about this nice resort. If you really want to be away from the crowd, you can also look at Wild elephant. Looks lovely.
Wild Elephant Resort
Fauji is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th October 2011, 10:58   #10
BHPian

If honeymoon is what you are going for, why do you want to go to so many places. Choose one or 2 places and relax. Trust me (From experience) you will spend 75% of your time travelling and i am sure that is not what you want to be doing on a honeymoon.
Since you asked for suggestions,
1. Dont miss the houseboat in allepey/kumarakom. It is a good experience.
2. Go to Kumarakom if you want to relax in a nice resort along the backwaters
3. Thekkady : Greenery all around. Nice place to relax
4. Vagamon/ Valparai
Kearala is a beatiful place. So many places to visit. It all depends on how much you want to travel.
Old 28th October 2011, 11:09   #11
BHPian

@ All : Thaks for the inputs. I myself was thinking on the same lines like Bangalore- Coorg- Calicut- Allepey- Munnar/Thekkady and back to Bangalore.

@zteg: The honeymoon is not mine. And we are not heavy sightseeing people. We just want to cover different places and spend 1-2 days in each place. Sightseeing is not the main criteria.

I have been to kerala before, its for my wife and the new couple. I just want them to see kerala in its different avatars.
Old 28th October 2011, 18:37   #12
BHPian

Hi Zahed,

if you go to Munnar or Valparai stay in the secluded british estate bunglows. It gives the old world charm in surreal settings. Have a look at this thread for photographs http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...ays-bliss.html

Roads in Kerala can be frustrating and its better you limit the travel time/no of places for a leasurely trip. I suggest you do:

1) Coorg (2 nights in your estate)
2) Calicut (2 nights at Kadavu resort, Kadavu Resort-Malabar Cuisine Resort Malabar culture Star hotels Malabar Traditional resort Malabar Architecture backwater+beach+ayurvedic massage)
3) Valparai via Athirampally falls (2 nights at Indraprastha bunglow as given in my thread - great waterfall, serene hill station, great food)
4) Munnar (3 nights at KDHP bunglow - great boat rides in the lakes, waterfalls, elephant ride, great food) - Bangalore.

The acco mentioned may be expensive but worth it especially for a once in lifetime honeymoon trip

Rgds

VW
Old 1st November 2011, 13:24   #13
BHPian

Re: Planning a honeymoon road trip from Bangalore

Thanks for all the imputs guys. How are the road conditions in Kerala? The last time I had been to kerala towards cochin/allepey side was in 2007 or so. How are the roads from Madikeri to Calicut and from there on towards allepey etc. Is it worthwhile to include thekkady in the plan as well? Any suggestions for accommodation there?
Old 3rd November 2011, 07:33   #14
BHPian

Just did a trip from Bangalore and back via Thekaddy. I have been through the Cochin-Allepey-Thekaddy-Bangalore section of your plan. Good roads except for 20-30 kms after Thekaddy towards Bangalore.

I have been to Thekaddy twice and liked the place for it's serene and lesser commercialization than most of the hill stations. We also went on a night trek ( couple of years back) and am not sure anther it is still operational.
Old 3rd November 2011, 16:02   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureshurs View Post
Just did a trip from Bangalore and back via Thekaddy. I have been through the Cochin-Allepey-Thekaddy-Bangalore section of your plan. Good roads except for 20-30 kms after Thekaddy towards Bangalore.

I have been to Thekaddy twice and liked the place for it's serene and lesser commercialization than most of the hill stations. We also went on a night trek ( couple of years back) and am not sure anther it is still operational.
Any pointers on where to stay in the above places?

Quote:
Originally Posted by VindyWheels View Post
Hi Zahed,

if you go to Munnar or Valparai stay in the secluded british estate bunglows. It gives the old world charm in surreal settings. Have a look at this thread for photographs http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...ays-bliss.html

Roads in Kerala can be frustrating and its better you limit the travel time/no of places for a leasurely trip. I suggest you do:

1) Coorg (2 nights in your estate)
2) Calicut (2 nights at Kadavu resort, Kadavu Resort-Malabar Cuisine Resort Malabar culture Star hotels Malabar Traditional resort Malabar Architecture backwater+beach+ayurvedic massage)
3) Valparai via Athirampally falls (2 nights at Indraprastha bunglow as given in my thread - great waterfall, serene hill station, great food)
4) Munnar (3 nights at KDHP bunglow - great boat rides in the lakes, waterfalls, elephant ride, great food) - Bangalore.

The acco mentioned may be expensive but worth it especially for a once in lifetime honeymoon trip

Rgds

VW
Will check out the above. Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
My plan would be as follows:

Coorg-Meppadi (Valentine Villa Resort, Meppadi, 04936- 236112, 09895089727)-Kozhikode (day visit to Kappad)-Alapuzha (houseboat, Sabu, 09447056684)-Munnar-Bangalore

Kumarji any idea how the roads from madikeri to calicut and further on? I have already been to meppadi in jan this year so skipping the same. Also any places to stay would help.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks