Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 14th October 2016, 18:07   #61
Team-BHP Support
 
BlackPearl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Calcutta/London
Posts: 2,996
Thanked: 10,311 Times
Default re: Calcutta - Bhutan : Route Queries

Almost 5 years after starting this thread we were finally able to do a Bhutan trip. It was a 14 day trip along the following route -
Kolkata - Paro
Paro - Punakha via Thimpu
Punakha - Wangdi
Wangdi - Phobjika
Phobjika - Jakar (Bumthang)
Jakar - Ura - Lhuentse - Mongar
Mongar - Drametse - Trashiyangtse - Trashigang - Samdrup Jhonkar - Phuentsholing - Siliguri
Siliguri - Kolkata
BlackPearl is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 15th October 2016, 08:56   #62
Team-BHP Support
 
Sheel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Purnea (Bihar)
Posts: 6,856
Thanked: 8,839 Times
Default re: Calcutta - Bhutan : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPearl View Post
Almost 5 years after starting this thread we were finally able to do a Bhutan trip. It was a 14 day trip along the following route -

I am sure a t'log is in the Assembly Line

Does maps work in Bhutan? In Nepal, near the border, i.e. between Itahri and Bhimnagar, AirTel & BSNL used to work intermittently, but to my horror, Scorpio's maps went blank. You have to work through the old world hard copy maps?

I hope English or Hindi is understood in Bhutan.
Sheel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th October 2016, 22:58   #63
Team-BHP Support
 
BlackPearl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Calcutta/London
Posts: 2,996
Thanked: 10,311 Times
Default re: Calcutta - Bhutan : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
I am sure a t'log is in the Assembly Line

Does maps work in Bhutan? In Nepal, near the border, i.e. between Itahri and Bhimnagar, AirTel & BSNL used to work intermittently, but to my horror, Scorpio's maps went blank. You have to work through the old world hard copy maps?

I hope English or Hindi is understood in Bhutan.
TLog not started yet, planning for one :-D

I did not have data in my phone, so maps did not work. Offline map like Here map etc did not work properly. Locals said Google map works, could not check.
English is well understood in West Bhutan. In east Bhutan, had to use sign language in most cases, except at hotels.
BlackPearl is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2017, 16:46   #64
Team-BHP Support
 
BlackPearl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Calcutta/London
Posts: 2,996
Thanked: 10,311 Times
Default re: Calcutta - Bhutan : Route Queries

Does anybody have any idea if self drive rental cars like Zoom/Myles etc can be taken to Bhutan?
BlackPearl is online now  
Old 6th July 2017, 17:43   #65
BHPian
 
The Enthusiast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 26
Thanked: 11 Times
Default re: Calcutta - Bhutan : Route Queries

Folks planning for a road trip to Bhutan starting on 24th of July and returning on 05th of August. Please share your experience, road condition, security concerns and visa.

Car - Pajero
Route - Bangalore - Vizag - Konark - Puri - Kolkata (Sunderbans) - Siliguri - Paro - Thimpu - Bangalore.

Haven't decided on the return route but tips highly appreciated.
The Enthusiast is offline  
Old 6th July 2017, 18:41   #66
BHPian
 
gmhossain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Kalyani, WB
Posts: 411
Thanked: 1,744 Times
Default re: Calcutta - Bhutan : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Enthusiast View Post
Folks planning for a road trip to Bhutan starting on 24th of July and returning on 05th of August. Please share your experience, road condition, security concerns and visa.

Car - Pajero
Route - Bangalore - Vizag - Konark - Puri - Kolkata (Sunderbans) - Siliguri - Paro - Thimpu - Bangalore.

Haven't decided on the return route but tips highly appreciated.
Indian nationals do not need visa to enter Bhutan, just voter card or passport would do. The details about the vehicle permits are given in several threads in Team-BHP.

I presume, you are aware of the risks of driving during the peak of monsoon through Bengal. If not, I would suggest you to postpone your road-trip by a month and half. An overnight heavy downpour can make even a decent stretch of road difficult to navigate. Besides, the possibilities of flood and landslides are very high during this time of the year.

Best,
gmhossain is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st October 2017, 11:55   #67
BHPian
 
DAART's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 56
Thanked: 455 Times
Default Re: Calcutta - Bhutan : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Enthusiast View Post
Folks planning for a road trip to Bhutan starting on 24th of July and returning on 05th of August. Please share your experience, road condition, security concerns and visa.

Car - Pajero
Route - Bangalore - Vizag - Konark - Puri - Kolkata (Sunderbans) - Siliguri - Paro - Thimpu - Bangalore.

Haven't decided on the return route but tips highly appreciated.
Hi Enthusiast

Were you able to do this trip?

I am planning to do a Bangalore - Vijayawada - Puri - Kolkata - Jaldapara/phuentsholing - Thimpu - Phunaka - Paro - Vizag - Bangalore in November this year. I am looking for any tips on the route and current road conditions.

Thanks
DAART
DAART is offline  
Old 10th October 2017, 09:11   #68
Team-BHP Support
 
BlackPearl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Calcutta/London
Posts: 2,996
Thanked: 10,311 Times
Default Re: Calcutta - Bhutan : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAART View Post
Hi Enthusiast

Were you able to do this trip?

I am planning to do a Bangalore - Vijayawada - Puri - Kolkata - Jaldapara/phuentsholing - Thimpu - Phunaka - Paro - Vizag - Bangalore in November this year. I am looking for any tips on the route and current road conditions.

Thanks
DAART
@DAART, please let us know the number of days that you have planned for this trip and also the start date of the trip. Since you are driving down from Bangalore, I would request you to keep quite a few days for Bhutan, otherwise it will be a touch and go trip without enjoying the places. Regarding road conditions, Bangalore to Kolkata is excellent. Kolkata to Siliguri is a bit dicey, specially the Raigunj portion after the recent floods. We got the news that road repair work has started. Siliguri to Phuensholing is again good. You can have a look at my travelogue for more details on Bhutan -

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...olero-4x4.html

Last edited by BlackPearl : 10th October 2017 at 09:19.
BlackPearl is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 16th October 2017, 21:19   #69
BHPian
 
DAART's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 56
Thanked: 455 Times
Default Re: Calcutta - Bhutan : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPearl View Post
@DAART, please let us know the number of days that you have planned for this trip and also the start date of the trip. Since you are driving down from Bangalore, I would request you to keep quite a few days for Bhutan, otherwise it will be a touch and go trip without enjoying the places. Regarding road conditions, Bangalore to Kolkata is excellent. Kolkata to Siliguri is a bit dicey, specially the Raigunj portion after the recent floods. We got the news that road repair work has started. Siliguri to Phuensholing is again good. You can have a look at my travelogue for more details on Bhutan -

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...olero-4x4.html
@BlackPearl , thank you for your response on my query. After a lot of negotiations with my manager was able to get a deal of 14 days plus 2 days buffer. As per my current plan we have 5 days in Bhutan( 2 in Thimpu, 1 in Phunaka and 2 in Paro).

We are starting from Bangalore on 11th Nov and plan to reach Bhutan on 15th Nov. Nice to know that repair work is in progress near Raigunj. On day 4 we are planning to start from Bhubaneswar and reach either Malda or Farakha. Can you suggest if these are good places to halt somewhere between Kolkata and Siliguri.

I read your travelogue. Congratulations on your successful trip to Bhutan. It is very informative and well written.

Thanks
DAART
DAART is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th October 2017, 21:23   #70
Team-BHP Support
 
BlackPearl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Calcutta/London
Posts: 2,996
Thanked: 10,311 Times
Default Re: Calcutta - Bhutan : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAART View Post
@BlackPearl , thank you for your response on my query. After a lot of negotiations with my manager was able to get a deal of 14 days plus 2 days buffer. As per my current plan we have 5 days in Bhutan( 2 in Thimpu, 1 in Phunaka and 2 in Paro).

We are starting from Bangalore on 11th Nov and plan to reach Bhutan on 15th Nov. Nice to know that repair work is in progress near Raigunj. On day 4 we are planning to start from Bhubaneswar and reach either Malda or Farakha. Can you suggest if these are good places to halt somewhere between Kolkata and Siliguri.

I read your travelogue. Congratulations on your successful trip to Bhutan. It is very informative and well written.

Thanks
DAART
You can stay in Golden Park Malda. Room rent is around Rs 2800 and parking place is inside the premises with security guard on duty. Rooms are decently clean. We are planning to go to Bhutan day after tomorrow, will give you more updates on route.
BlackPearl is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 16th October 2017, 21:30   #71
BHPian
 
DAART's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 56
Thanked: 455 Times
Default Re: Calcutta - Bhutan : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPearl View Post
You can stay in Golden Park Malda. Room rent is around Rs 2800 and parking place is inside the premises with security guard on duty. Rooms are decently clean. We are planning to go to Bhutan day after tomorrow, will give you more updates on route.
@BlackPearl, That is awesome to know. Have a wonderful and safe trip.

Will be looking forward to latest updates from you on this route.

Thanks
DAART
DAART is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th October 2017, 21:34   #72
VR4
BHPian
 
VR4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Secunderabad
Posts: 48
Thanked: 46 Times
Default Re: Calcutta - Bhutan : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAART View Post
@BlackPearl , thank you for your response on my query. After a lot of negotiations with my manager was able to get a deal of 14 days plus 2 days buffer. As per my current plan we have 5 days in Bhutan( 2 in Thimpu, 1 in Phunaka and 2 in Paro).

We are starting from Bangalore on 11th Nov and plan to reach Bhutan on 15th Nov. Nice to know that repair work is in progress near Raigunj. On day 4 we are planning to start from Bhubaneswar and reach either Malda or Farakha. Can you suggest if these are good places to halt somewhere between Kolkata and Siliguri.

I read your travelogue. Congratulations on your successful trip to Bhutan. It is very informative and well written.

Thanks
DAART
BlackPearl, extremely informative. Although have been to Bhutan numerous times on official work, but have taken a flight from Kolkata. Beautiful country. All the best for your trip starting tomorrow.

Aside Daart: All the best for your upcoming trip.

A word of advise if I may. Would be too tiring for you to drive non-stop from Bhubhaneshwar to Farakka as it is around 700 KMS and Malda around 750 KMS.

Worried because it would be night even befor you reach Malda ( not a problem if you like night driving)

Suggest you halt in Vijayawada (650 KMS), then Bhubhaneshwar ( another 750 KMS ). Subsequently you can halt either in Farakka or Malda.

Alternately you can halt in Kolkata as well, if time permits.

From Nellore the road is very good (NH5 - Chennai Kolkata)

Take INR with you. The Bhutanese prefer INR more than their local currency - Ngultrum (same value as INR).

Although BlackPearl would have all the information, nevertheless do let me know if I can be of any assistance.

All the best and enjoy your trip and most importantly drive safely.
VR4 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th October 2017, 10:40   #73
BHPian
 
DAART's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 56
Thanked: 455 Times
Default Re: Calcutta - Bhutan : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by VR4 View Post
BlackPearl, extremely informative. Although have been to Bhutan numerous times on official work, but have taken a flight from Kolkata. Beautiful country. All the best for your trip starting tomorrow.

Aside Daart: All the best for your upcoming trip.

A word of advise if I may. Would be too tiring for you to drive non-stop from Bhubhaneshwar to Farakka as it is around 700 KMS and Malda around 750 KMS.

Worried because it would be night even befor you reach Malda ( not a problem if you like night driving)

Suggest you halt in Vijayawada (650 KMS), then Bhubhaneshwar ( another 750 KMS ). Subsequently you can halt either in Farakka or Malda.

Alternately you can halt in Kolkata as well, if time permits.

From Nellore the road is very good (NH5 - Chennai Kolkata)

Take INR with you. The Bhutanese prefer INR more than their local currency - Ngultrum (same value as INR).

Although BlackPearl would have all the information, nevertheless do let me know if I can be of any assistance.

All the best and enjoy your trip and most importantly drive safely.
@VR4 - Thank you for your wishes and suggestions. Will try my best to space out and reduce long stretch drives.

Night driving is rather my favorite however I have planned most of the days to keep of the wheels by evening.

I will reach out to you guys for any queries.
DAART is offline  
Reply

Most Viewed
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Copyright 2000 - 2020, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks