Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd December 2011, 15:25   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: What to see in Mysore

Quote:
Originally Posted by vina View Post
I think the pictures you have uploaded are from around Dussehera or some other festive time - they don't light it up this well all the time and entrance is closed after 6PM AFAIK
Nop - those pics were taken on 25-01-2009 which is a Sunday. That was a casual visit and the palace is indeed lit like this on Sundays! There was no special occasion as such. They light it ONLY after 7 PM though!

Quote:
Originally Posted by murillo View Post
Shravanabelagola - ~70 kms from Mysore via Srirangapatna and towards Bangalore-Hassan highway, have to climb a small mount
I guess visiting Sravana Belagola will take quite a bit of time. Again I was told that it's better that we visit this place in the mornings as afternoons are too hot and the stone path gets too difficult to walk on. If it were me, I would schedule Sravana Belagola for a different time.

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 22nd December 2011 at 15:28.
Old 22nd December 2011, 15:38   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Th!ru View Post
Sorry if i am.

While staying at bandipur for 3 days, you planning to go up to ooty? If so, you could take the route via masinagudi, if you would want to have some Just a word of caution - Do it only if you are completely sure you can do that sort of driving, and have done something like that before. Also check the condition of those roads from local people.

Have a great trip!
Just my 2 cents
We had done this a couple of months ago .Its narrow and steep ,but can be managed if you stick to basics like HONK before the hair pin bends and always stick to your side on the road . Going up is manageable as long as your clutch isnt on its last stage ,but driving down is tricky .Engine braking is the key here ,as brakes can fade easily . But nothing very scary .It is a scenic route though and very sparse traffic .

Around Mysore ,you can visit the Ranganathittu Bird Sanctuary near Srirangapatna and the KRS dam . Gopalswamybetta and Nagarhole National Park are other options if you have time on your hand
Old 22nd December 2011, 17:31   #18
BHPian

In the evening try and visit the dasara exhibition, and in the exhibition, taste mallige idli and other stuff, your kids will enjoy the rides and your wife some shopping.

If you want tasty biryani, try RRR restaurent in the clock cirlce or time Circle, to the left of Mysore palace.

You don't have time to go out to many places out of Mysore.

Last edited by DoNotHorn : 22nd December 2011 at 17:36.
Old 22nd December 2011, 23:22   #19
BHPian

As others have already said, please make sure to visit the palace lighting. Starts at 7 PM, ends at 7.45 PM (not 8 PM). Entry is closed at around 5.30 PM, so you have to enter the palace before and wait for the lighting! but, worth the wait is what I would say. Please see photos I took this Sunday.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-travel-queries/94954-chennai-jog-falls.html

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks