Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th December 2011, 19:23   #1
BHPian

What to see in Mysore

I'm planning to reach Mysore on 25th Evening. Will be in Mysore (myself, wife and 2 kids aged 6 and 9) on Dec 26th and plan to leave on Dec 27th morning. I will be having my car with me as I'm driving down from Chennai.

I plan to visit the Mysore palace (afternoon of 25th) and Mysore Zoo (first half of 26th).

So folks, what else can I accommodate in the schedule in and around Mysore? Please advise.
Old 20th December 2011, 19:38   #2
BHPian

Re: What to see in Mysore

Don't miss Mysore palace lighting which starts at around 7 pm for an hour only on Sundays. Visit Chamundeshwari temple, Nandi Bull on your way down from temple, Bird sanctuary,Brindavan garden these are the places i would recommend. Don't forget to eat mylari dosa, ask any one they would direct you there.Just in case if you require address to locate: Hotel Original Mylari. #79, Nazarbad Main Road,. Mysore – 570010 and great pulpy grape juice next to Mysore RTO office. Enjoy your stay in Mysore.

Last edited by supratim07 : 20th December 2011 at 19:46. Reason: format
supratim07 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th December 2011, 20:24   #3
Senior - BHPian

Ok. You will get what to see info on the net. But try and explore Mysore and visit the places which are least visited - Beautiful campus of Mysore university, excellent heritage building of CFTRI, Devaraja market for its colours and smells, close to Devaraja market enjoy Mysore pak from Gururaja sweets, travel in colourful tongas, museum of natural history, rail museum, Mysore railway station to see Raj styled building, have coffe in Lalit mahal Palace - that's how you can see this nice palace
Fauji is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 20th December 2011, 21:42   #4
Senior - BHPian

I would rather recommend spend the day at Mysore looking at Palace, Chamundeshwari temple, and Brindavan garden. Once done go out to jungles and spend the night in either Bandipur, Masinagudi or Wayanad which offers much natural surroundings and hills nearby.

Also depends on your preference, i love jungles and mountains.
mayankjha1806 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st December 2011, 11:37   #5
BHPian

@supratim07. Thanks, Chamnundaswari temple is a good addition. As for Bird Sanctuary, I heard that this is not the season and the constraint also is the time available. Thanks for the hotel recommendation. Will check it out.
@Fauji - Thanks for your input. Will try to include all the points you mentioned as much as possible.

@mayankjha1806 _ I'm actually going to Bandipur and spending 3 days there so Mysore is a stop-over.
Old 21st December 2011, 12:39   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chennai-indian View Post
@supratim07. Thanks, Chamnundaswari temple is a good addition. As for Bird Sanctuary, I heard that this is not the season and the constraint also is the time available.
That is right. There is nothing to see in the bird sanctuary at this time. Even the boating (to spot birds) is not very interesting. They say summer is the best time to spot birds.
Old 21st December 2011, 17:44   #7
BHPian

Hi,

Whilst you going to Chamundi Hills you can visit a gaming zone called "planet X" at the foothills of chamundi hills.

They have bowling, karting, snooker, and other kids video games and other activities. You can check it out if you have some time.

Enjoy the trip buddy.

Cheers,
Rashith

Planet X

Last edited by GTO : 22nd December 2011 at 13:42. Reason: Please use the EDIT or MULTI-QUOTE buttons instead of typing one post after another!
Old 21st December 2011, 19:01   #8
Team-BHP Support

Your itinerary mentions that you'd reach Mysore on 25th evening; try to catch the Mysore Palace lit up in all its glory. As supratim has mentioned, it's lit up on sundays starting 7pm.

The palace is a wonderful spectacle when lit up by those thousands of lamps.

Also, Brindavan gardens has a light-and-sound show in the evening; check the latest timings when you reach Mysore. You might want to time your visit there accordinly in case you want to catch it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by supratim07 View Post
Don't miss Mysore palace lighting which starts at around 7 pm for an hour only on Sundays.
Sundays *and* Govt. holidays, right? Please correct me if I'm wrong although I do remember something to that extent.

Last edited by libranof1987 : 21st December 2011 at 19:02.
Old 21st December 2011, 20:15   #9
BHPian

Yes libranof1987, they do lit up the palace on Sundays and Govt. Holidays...its just awesome to look at when these bulbs... yes thousands of ordinary bulbs glows in one shot sharp at 7pm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
Your itinerary mentions that you'd reach Mysore on 25th evening; try to catch the Mysore Palace lit up in all its glory. As supratim has mentioned, it's lit up on sundays starting 7pm.

The palace is a wonderful spectacle when lit up by those thousands of lamps.

Also, Brindavan gardens has a light-and-sound show in the evening; check the latest timings when you reach Mysore. You might want to time your visit there accordinly in case you want to catch it.

Sundays *and* Govt. holidays, right? Please correct me if I'm wrong although I do remember something to that extent.
Old 21st December 2011, 20:23   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chennai-indian View Post
@supratim07. Thanks, Chamnundaswari temple is a good addition. As for Bird Sanctuary, I heard that this is not the season and the constraint also is the time available. Thanks for the hotel recommendation. Will check it out.
@Fauji - Thanks for your input. Will try to include all the points you mentioned as much as possible.

@mayankjha1806 _ I'm actually going to Bandipur and spending 3 days there so Mysore is a stop-over.
Sorry if i am.

While staying at bandipur for 3 days, you planning to go up to ooty? If so, you could take the route via masinagudi, if you would want to have some driving adventure. The inclines are very steep, but the landscapes are really good, please be careful if you do take that route. Just a word of caution - Do it only if you are completely sure you can do that sort of driving, and have done something like that before. Also check the condition of those roads from local people.

Have a great trip!
Just my 2 cents
Old 22nd December 2011, 00:57   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

As multiple suggestions, please DON'T miss the Mysore Palace in the night. Then you have couple of more palaces in and around Mysore [Tipu's winter palace], Tomb etc to watch. The zoo is big and can be tiring - will easily take 3 hours to watch the entire zoo. I would suggest Gopala Swamy Betta near by Mysore. It's worth a visit!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Himavad_Gopalaswamy_Betta

Mysore Palace Lit Up:
Attached Thumbnails
What to see in Mysore-dsc03410.jpg  

What to see in Mysore-dsc03411.jpg  

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 22nd December 2011 at 01:01.
Old 22nd December 2011, 01:57   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
As multiple suggestions, please DON'T miss the Mysore Palace in the night. Then you have couple of more palaces in and around Mysore [Tipu's winter palace], Tomb etc to watch. The zoo is big and can be tiring - will easily take 3 hours to watch the entire zoo. I would suggest Gopala Swamy Betta near by Mysore. It's worth a visit!

Himavad Gopalaswamy Betta - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Mysore Palace Lit Up:

I think the pictures you have uploaded are from around Dussehera or some other festive time - they don't light it up this well all the time and entrance is closed after 6PM AFAIK
Old 22nd December 2011, 02:25   #13
BHPian

We as a family had visited Mysore a couple of years ago. Here is a list that I compiled consisting of interesting places in and around Mysore. There are many more and you may have to prioritize depending on time availability.

In Mysore:
Srirangapatna - Daria Daulat Bagh, Gumbaz, Sangamam
Srirangapatna Tippu fort - Water gate, Tippu's death place, Colonel Bailey's Dungeons, Ranganatha Swamy temple, Tipu's palace ruins
Mysore zoo - best to take a walk instead of motor tram
St. Philomena's church

Nearby Mysore:
Chamundeswari temple and Nandi temple
Brindavan Gardens - see light and music show in particular
Somnathpur Kesava temple via Bannur road
Nanjangud - Nanjundeswarar temple
Gopala Swamy Betta
Shravanabelagola - ~70 kms from Mysore via Srirangapatna and towards Bangalore-Hassan highway, have to climb a small mount

If you are driving via Bangalore, take the NICE road from Hosur road and connect to Mysore road.

On Bangalore-Mysore road: Channapatna is famous for wooden toys and dolls, Maddur is famous for its Maddur vada, Mandya is famous for sugar, and Ramnagara is famous for its silk. Note that Bangalore-Mysore highway has many speed breakers.

Many places for food along Bangalore-Mysore highway. We visited Kamat Lokaruchi after Ramanagara.

Hope the above information helps. All the best for your trip and drive safe.

Last edited by murillo : 22nd December 2011 at 02:31.
murillo is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2011, 09:59   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

I had created a trip report to one of my german colleagues when I hosted a day's trip to mysore.
Attached is that file for your reference with the photos that I took during the trip.

25th December
  • As you mentioned, go to the palace on the afternoon of 25th.
  • have your lunch at Kamath on Nanjangud road (befoer or after palace depending on the time)
  • Once you finish that, you can go to chamundi hills.
  • Finish seeing the temple
  • Descend and finish seeing the Nandi by around 6:30.
  • Climb up a little and find a suitable view point from where you can see the palace. Stay at the view point till 7pm and see the palace light up from the top. its one great experience.
  • Since it is a Sunday the illumination of the palace is from 7-8 PM, after you see the palace light up, take some quick snaps from there and start immediately to the palace. you should reach the palace in 15minutes or maximum by 7:30
  • Spend 30 minutes of decent time for seeing the Iluminated palace.
26th December
  • Visit to the Zoo will take half a day as you mentioned
  • go to Balamuri and Brindavan gardens which will consume the other half of the day
  • since it is a monday, There will be no musical fountain in Brindavan gardens
27th December
  • If you are driving Via Bangalore, leave early and visit the Daria daulat bagh, Gumbaz and Sangama in Srirangapattana and then via NICE road, reach Hosur road and then to Chennai
In the file attached, You can skip Ranganathittu since this is not the right time to go there, Birds have not yet arrived (My friend had been there last weekend and it wasn't good).

Since you have kids, Its better you visit less places so that you can spend quality time in every place

Enjoy the trip!!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Mysore Trip.pdf (688.1 KB, 656 views)
hemanth.anand is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2011, 13:01   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post
[*]If you are driving Via Bangalore, leave early and visit the Daria daulat bagh, Gumbaz and Sangama in Srirangapattana and then via NICE road, reach Hosur road and then to Chennai[/list]In the file attached, You can skip Ranganathittu since this is not the right time to go there, Birds have not yet arrived (My friend had been there last weekend and it wasn't good).

Since you have kids, Its better you visit less places so that you can spend quality time in every place

Enjoy the trip!!
I will be going to Bandipur from Mysore and then travel back to Chennai Via Bangalore on 30th so surely will check out the places you mentioned.

Totally agree with you about visiting less number of places with kid s- I want this to be a leisurely holiday - not something that will make me more tired than I'm already am !!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks