Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th January 2012, 18:14   #1
BHPian

Bangalore - Tirutanni : Route Queries

Dear All

Planning a day trip from Bangalore to Tirutanni and back. Since I live in South Bangalore (Jayanagar,) conventional wisdom suggests using the GQ (Hosur-Krishnagiri-Vellore) and then diverting via Walajapet and Sholingur. However, wanted to know driving conditions and the merits of using this route vis-a-vis Old Madras Road and diverting from Chittoor - this is on a Sunday morning start time which assumes Bangalore city traffic would be minimal.

Request thoughts and suggestions. Have a 10 month old along and hence do not want to be adventurous

Best Regards
Vijay
Old 20th January 2012, 07:06   #2
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Bangalore - Tirutanni : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by root View Post
However, wanted to know driving conditions and the merits of using this route vis-a-vis Old Madras Road and diverting from Chittoor - this is on a Sunday morning start time which assumes Bangalore city traffic would be minimal.
Request thoughts and suggestions. Have a 10 month old along and hence do not want to be adventurous
The old Madras Road is in great condition and 4 laned upto Mulbagal. Beyond that, it's 2 lane undivided road and road is good especially after you enter AP side. And no tolls yet.
In contrast, NH7 Hosur Road - Krishnagiri - then NH46 to Vellore is absolute bliss all the way barring a small stretch in Hosur town limits where surface is a little jarry. And you pay tolls on NH7 and NH46.
Since you're planning a day trip on a Sunday I would suggest you take the NH7-NH46 route out of Bangalore and try the NH4 one on your return journey. This way you get to see for yourself what's on offer in both routes.
Hope this helps.

Last edited by NPV : 20th January 2012 at 07:11.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th January 2012, 11:59   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
The old Madras Road is in great condition and 4 laned upto Mulbagal. Beyond that, it's 2 lane undivided road and road is good especially after you enter AP side. And no tolls yet.
In contrast, NH7 Hosur Road - Krishnagiri - then NH46 to Vellore is absolute bliss all the way barring a small stretch in Hosur town limits where surface is a little jarry. And you pay tolls on NH7 and NH46.
+1. It's best to take Hosur-Krishnagiri-Walajapet-Sholinger to Tiruttani considering the road condition & 10 month old baby traveling. In sholinger town - there is a deviation & section of the road is one way while going towards thiruttani....so just watch & ask folks on the road if you get lost in the town!

Beyond mulbagal - the road is good but it's a just a two lane ghat section upto Chitoor and not sure how good it is beyond Chitoor.
maheshramaling is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th January 2012, 14:11   #4
Senior - BHPian

Please remember that the GQ is being 6 laned from Hosur onwards till Vellore and maybe beyond. So there will be an absence of shoulder in many places, only singe lane traffic allowed at some places.

Night driving preferably to be avoided because you might know if there is a shoulder or not.

Please keep this factor in mind if you are using the GQ.

Check out the Chennai - Bangalore - Chennai thread for latest details.
csentil is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st January 2012, 22:59   #5
BHPian

Dear All

Thanks a lot for all the inputs (6 laning of GQ, One Ways et al) - I will surely use NH7/NH46 one way and NH4 back.

Best regards
Vijay
Old 22nd January 2012, 09:58   #6
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by root View Post
Dear All

Thanks a lot for all the inputs (6 laning of GQ, One Ways et al) - I will surely use NH7/NH46 one way and NH4 back.

Best regards
Vijay
- Do find out the coorect deviation at Ranipet towards Sholingur. I dont remember seeing any markings (May while doing good speeds on the 4L most wont see!)
- Same is the case with Chitoor. (If you decide to go via Old Madras Road). At Chitoor you should ask for Tiruttani road.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2012, 10:19   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
- Do find out the coorect deviation at Ranipet towards Sholingur. I dont remember seeing any markings (May while doing good speeds on the 4L most wont see!)
- Same is the case with Chitoor. (If you decide to go via Old Madras Road). At Chitoor you should ask for Tiruttani road.
Thanks Ampere - should have my MMI device on and this should aid. However, will be extra cautious
Old 23rd January 2012, 17:59   #8
BHPian

Re: Bangalore to Thiruthani route help

do I need to enter and pass through Chittoor town?
yes you need to enter and pass through chittoor town

where exactly is the deviation to SH106?
it is the route from Chittoor to tiruttani .. do not worry there will be markers placed and you will never miss the route. the route from chittoor -> sholingur -> tiruttani

the road condition of SH54/106, and travel time from Chittoor to Thiruthani?
the road condition is okay .. you can reach tiruttani from chittoor in 2 hrs max(speed of around 60 - 80).
tht'snotME is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2012, 19:41   #9
BHPian

I opened another thread this morning as searching for an existing thread with "Thiruthani" dint yield any results. Thanks to ampere for directing me here; have just reported my thread to be closed. Hopefully, my question will get some responses here

I have to drive to Thiruthani (TN) early next month; have never been to this town before. Since I stay off Old Madras road, I'd be taking the NH4 Kolar-Mulbagal route which is the shortest AFAIK.

Checked for route details on Google maps, and it says that I need to get off NH4 on to SH54 somewhere after Chittoor. I would then need to take SH106 it says. This is where am a little confused; can someone help answer these questions:
the exact location where I have to take this deviation from NH4?
the road condition of SH54/106, and travel time from Chittoor to Thiruthani?

Thanks in advance!!!
Old 23rd January 2012, 22:26   #10
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by chikkars View Post
Checked for route details on Google maps, and it says that I need to get off NH4 on to SH54 somewhere after Chittoor. I would then need to take SH106 it says. This is where am a little confused; can someone help answer these questions:
the exact location where I have to take this deviation from NH4?
As I had earlier mentioned, you will need to get into Chittor town and ask for "Tiruttanni Road". Once on that road, ou will come to Sholingur and there on to Tiruttanu.

Here is a route which I refer to: link
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th January 2012, 09:20   #11
BHPian

Just finished the trip as planned yesterday. Took the Bangalore-Hosur-Krishnagiri-Vellore-Ranipet-Walajahpet-Sholinghur-Tiruttani route and came back on the Tiruttani-Sholinghur-Chittor-Palamner-Kolar-Bangalore route. Breakfast at 7 AM was at Kamat near Hosur and lunch was at Nandi at Chitoor - both decent. Preferred the Hosur route, as the Chitoor-Palamner-Mulbagal section has too much truck traffic and it is difficult to overtake the convoys, though the Mulbagal-Bangalore 4 lane is a dream to drive on and we made it in no time. No toll was being levied till now on that route. The shoulder work on the Hosur-Vellore stretch does keep your speed down. Thanks to everyone who guided me on this trip, it was very comfortable.

Regards
Vijay
root is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st February 2012, 16:09   #12
BHPian

Since I will have a day free on hand, I was hoping to cover Kanipakam (on the way to Tiruttani) and the Golden Temple (while returning perhaps).

Need suggestions on what route to take. This is what I was able to find from Google maps:

http://g.co/maps/bezch

Last edited by chikkars : 1st February 2012 at 16:24.
Old 1st February 2012, 17:03   #13
BHPian

There is one deviation from the maps you have posted.

If you want to go to kanipakkam,
Bangalore -kolar-mulbagal-chittor(till this it is same as the map you have mentioned) -- kanipakkam -- return to chittor -Sholingur -Tiruttani

From chittor kanipakkam is just 25Km I think.

After Tiruttani it is the same route as you have planned (golden temple will come on the way)
tht'snotME is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th February 2012, 21:55   #14
BHPian

I did the trip a fortnight ago, and as suggested took the following route:

Bangalore - Kanipakam (via OMR) - Chittoor - Sholingur - Tiruttani

Return:

Tiruttani - Sholingur - Ranipet - Vellore - Sripuram (Golden Temple) - NH 46 - Krishnagiri - Hosur - B lore
Old 16th February 2012, 11:28   #15
BHPian

@chikkars

when exactly you did the trip(date)? i was there in Tiruttani last weekend i.e 11th & 12th.
hope you enjoyed the trip

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks