Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd May 2012, 23:43   #16
Senior - BHPian

re: Bangalore - Tenkasi/Courtallam : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravib View Post

Heard that Sankaran kovil is a good temple to see on the way back from Srivilliputtur to Tirunelveli. But again, don't know if it is better to take the gmaps route or drive till sattur via sivakasi to join NH7 to proceed towards tirunelveli.
Yes, Sankarankovil is a well-known temple in these parts. A must visit.
Both teh direct Sankarankovil-Tirunelveli as well as the Sankarankovil-Tenkasi-Tirunelveli road are in good condition, no need to get into NH7.

Quote:
Request to suggest few good hotels for stay in Rajapalayam and Tirunelveli.
I stayed at Janakikram hotel in tirunelveli,but not sure how good it is now.

-Ravi
Hotel Janakiraman in Tirunelveli is still a good hotel.
hvkumar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th May 2012, 11:06   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
My current plan is to drive directly to Tenkasi. Finish the function next day, drive to Rajapalyam and stay overnight. Next day visit srivilliputtur and then drive down to Tirunelveli to continue on Thiruchendur side.
You could do either of these 3:

Bangalore-Srivilliputtur-Sankarankovil-Tenkasi-Tirunelveli-Tiruchendur-Bangalore
Bangalore-Tenkasi-Tirunelveli-Tiruchendur-Sankarankovil-Srivilliputtur-Bangalore
Bangalore-Tirunelveli-Tenkasi-Tirunelveli-Tiruchendur-Sankarankovil-Srivilliputtur-Bangalore

Going all the way up to Srivilliputtur and coming down to Tirunelveli is unnecessary extra distance.

Quote:
Request to suggest few good hotels for stay in Rajapalayam and Tirunelveli.
I stayed at Janakikram hotel in tirunelveli,but not sure how good it is now.

-Ravi
Don't know Rajapalayam, Sri Bharani in TIrunelveli, Chitra Park in Tiruchendur and Bell in Sivakasi are 3 I've experience with.
Old 25th May 2012, 01:33   #18
BHPian

Tirunelveli - I've stayed in Hotel Aryaas - one of their newly opened establishment on the NH7 service road where Tuticorin and Tiruchendur roads meet. It was pretty decent being new.

Rajapalayam - I'm also searching for one to stay on my trip coming up in a couple of weeks. But looks like there isn't any option other than Anandas, and I'm not sure about it.
Old 17th June 2012, 20:59   #19
Senior - BHPian

Thanks to all for providing valuable inputs.

Just returned back from the planned trip y'day night.

Road Conditions

Visited Tenkasi/courtallam, Rajapalayam, Srivilliputtur, Sankaran koil, Tirunelveli, Tiruchendur.

B'lore - Thirumangalam - Rajapalayam - Tenkasi => Good roads all throughout. AS hvk sir mentioned, very curvy roads from Thirumangalam to Tenkasi. Not pretty safe in night drive, but not too bad either. Got to be very cautious.

Rajapalayam-Sankaran koil - Tirunelveli => Excellent roads all throughout.

Tirunelveli - Tiruchendur => First 50% of roads till srivaikuntam are not that good and full of patches. The remaining stretch is decent enough.

Also visited the Vanathirupathi temple constructed and maintained by Hotel Saravana Bhavan group which is very good. Need to take a deviation of 5 kms from kurumbur. They have also opened Hotel Saravana Bhavan branch there, so one of the best options for good food in that area. Rates are as same as in Madras saravana bhavan !

In return journey, drove from Tirunelveli to Bangalore. Nothing new to talk about excellent 4L NH7 all throughout. Started at 8:30 am from Janakiram hotel, Samayanallur at 10:05 am, Salem at 12:45 pm, Thoppur A2B at 1:30 pm. After an hour break, reached Silkboard at 4:30 pm. In total about 7 hrs drive and 1 hour break from Tirunelveli to Bangalore

Stay & Food Options

Stayed in friends farm house at Courtallam which is good.
At Rajapalyam, there are no good hotels to stay. At the best, may be you can try Anandas. Since i didn't get accommodation there can't comment much, so i had to stay in Aryas (formerly called as Jai santham). Absolutely hopeless hotel, and would never recommend it for any anyone. Anandas is the best bet for good food in Rajapalayam. Probably, those who want to stay could stay in Tirunelveli or in Maduri to see places around Rajapalayam.

At Tirunelveli, stayed in Janikaram hotel - which is one of the best hotel to stay. Too courteous staff and excellent service. There is also Bharani hotel which is next building to Janikaram which seems to be good option for stay as well. Food is also very good there.

-Ravi

Last edited by ravib : 17th June 2012 at 21:01.
ravib is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th June 2013, 11:05   #20
Senior - BHPian

Back from a quick 1 day trip, though by bus this time.

Bangalore-Thirumangalam-Rajapalayam-Sivakasi-Sattur-Bangalore.

All throughout the routes are in excellent to amazing condition. Not even a single pot hole, if i don't exaggerate

Roads from Thirumangalam-Srivilliputtur-Rajapalayam, I think they have added shoulders wherever possible. I knew the road widening work was happening between Rajapalayam to Tenkasi last year, but i didn't go till Tenkasi this time. Hope its complete by now.

Rajapalayam-Sivakasi-Sattur excellent roads again.

-Ravi

Last edited by ravib : 13th June 2013 at 11:06.
ravib is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th June 2013, 18:19   #21
BHPian

Friends,

I am doing B'lore-Tenkasi this weekend.

I can see Thirumangalam-Rajapalayam is in very good condition from above post.

How are the roads between Rajapalayam-Puliyangudi-Tenkasi?

Or should I opt for BLR-Kovilpatti-Puliyangudi-Tenkasi where I will get 4 Lane till Kovilpatti? If so, how are roads between Puliyangudi-Tenkasi?

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.
Old 26th June 2013, 21:47   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfsfreak View Post
Road condition isn't a problem. They are good from Tenkasi-Srivi I drove (except maybe inside the town), but driving in the evening hours after sundown is a big pain in the rear. It took a solid 3 hrs for that 90 km Avoid those hours at any cost, otherwise you shouldn't have much problem.

Taking Virudhunagar-Sivakasi-Srivi isnt a bad option either. Except for speed breakers, roads were in great shape.
narayans80 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th June 2013, 21:55   #23
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayans80 View Post

Taking Virudhunagar-Sivakasi-Srivi isnt a bad option either. Except for speed breakers, roads were in great shape.
Which is easier to bypass? Rajapalayam/Puliangudi or Virudhunagar/Sivakasi?

PS : By the way seeing your posts after a long time!
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th June 2013, 22:12   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
You can take Sivakasi route from Virudhunagar town, exit to Srivi in Sivakasi is at the start of the town and intersects close to the temple in Srivi. NH208 goes through all towns, only Tenkasi has a bypass. Never been on Kovilpatti-Rajapalayam road.

PS: Yes I am exiled out of India for the past 8 months
narayans80 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th June 2013, 14:13   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Friends,

I am doing B'lore-Tenkasi this weekend.

I can see Thirumangalam-Rajapalayam is in very good condition from above post.

Or should I opt for BLR-Kovilpatti-Puliyangudi-Tenkasi where I will get 4 Lane till Kovilpatti? If so, how are roads between Puliyangudi-Tenkasi?

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.
Hi Karthik,

If you are not crossing Rajapalayam-Tenkasi post sunset, you can still continue in Puliyangudi-Tenkasi route. The roads are good as i heard and they would have widened/added shoulders by now. Its more scenic route as well.

I drove in this stretch last October and it was very good. I don't think this route gets into bad shape usually.

-Ravi
ravib is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th June 2013, 14:40   #26
BHPian

Quote:
It took a solid 3 hrs for that 90 km ..Avoid those hours at any cost, otherwise you shouldn't have much problem.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Quote:
If you are not crossing Rajapalayam-Tenkasi post sunset, you can still continue in Puliyangudi-Tenkasi route.
Thanks narayans80, ampere, ravib.

I would choose BLR-Thirumangalam-Rajapalayam-Tenkasi then as I would be crossing Thirumangalam by 1 PM. Should be OK when I cross Rajapalayam-Tenkasi.
Old 27th June 2013, 18:40   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks narayans80, ampere, ravib.

I would choose BLR-Thirumangalam-Rajapalayam-Tenkasi then as I would be crossing Thirumangalam by 1 PM. Should be OK when I cross Rajapalayam-Tenkasi.
Yea, its almost same time that i did last year.
I started at Bangalore around 6:30 am and crossed Madurai/Thirumangalam around 12:30 or so with an hour break in Thoppur A2B.
You should be able to reach Tenkasi by around 3:30 pm or 4 pm.

-Ravi
ravib is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th June 2013, 22:18   #28
Senior - BHPian

I have done all the routes mentioned above
1. Madurai-Rajapalayam-Tenkasi.
2. Madurai-Sattur-Sivakasi-Srivilliputur-Tenkasi
3. Madurai-Kovilpatti-Kalugumalai-Puliyangudi-Tenkasi.
The first route is quite busy during the day.
The second route is also good but crossing Tenkasi town with narrow roads and traffic
during the day and I took close to 25mins to cross the town.
The third route is the fastest and the roads are good throughout.It is four lane upto
Kovilpatti.Kovilpatti-Puliyangudi dual carriage way and minimal traffic.This route is longer
by 20-25kms.
gajadonga is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th June 2013, 12:57   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gajadonga View Post
2. Madurai-Sattur-Sivakasi-Srivilliputur-Tenkasi
The second route is also good but crossing Tenkasi town with narrow roads and traffic during the day and I took close to 25mins to cross the town.
I think you mean Sivakasi town Going via Sattur adds 20 km and Sattur road and Srivi road are on different parts of town, which you don't need to worry about if you come from Virudhunagar side, VNR-SVKS road has infact been widened since I studied a decade back.
Old 28th June 2013, 21:44   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I think you mean Sivakasi town Going via Sattur adds 20 km and Sattur road and Srivi road are on different parts of town, which you don't need to worry about if you come from Virudhunagar side, VNR-SVKS road has infact been widened since I studied a decade back.
Sorry for the typo I meant to say Sivakasi town which has narrow roads.I had
travelled from Sattur-Sivakasi-Srivilliputtur-Tenkasi.So I do not know the roads
between Virudunagar-Sivakasi.If it is widened then it is a better option than by
travelling between Sivakasi-Sattur.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks