Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st October 2014, 15:20   #376
BHPian

re: Kolkata - Siliguri route via Dumka, Bhagalpur or NH-12 (old NH-34)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samba View Post
If one is not suck anywhere, in the current condition Kolkata to Siliguri is doable in 14-15 hours by this route. 100kms of bad road and the rest 520kms are good.
If the roads between Dumka - Bhagalpur is asphalted asap & a proper bypass is made available to avoid Bhagalpur city completely with real time traffic regulated at Vikramsila Setu, we can really consider having a pleasant journey.

These 100 kms with the mess at Bhagalpur / Vikramsila actually ruins the complete experience of a wonderful journey . The time to cover this distance & cross over could range from 4-8 hrs depending upon your luck.
Redeemer8 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th November 2014, 11:07   #377
Distinguished - BHPian

Hello FMs,

Planning a drive from Kolkata to Ranchi on 06th. I would be leaving Kolkata at very early morning from either Tiljala or Chak Garia. Which is the best, least complicated way to reach NH2. MMI shows a road through Singur (SH-6) which joins NH2 at Bardhaman. Is it in good shape?
Please suggest keeping in mind that I am NOT a local to Kolkata and am not aware which are the one-way roads. Is one-way enforced at early mornings too, like say about 5 AM?

Thanks,
Saket

Last edited by saket77 : 4th November 2014 at 11:08.
Old 4th November 2014, 11:42   #378
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
Hello FMs,

Planning a drive from Kolkata to Ranchi on 06th. I would be leaving Kolkata at very early morning from either Tiljala or Chak Garia. Which is the best, least complicated way to reach NH2. MMI shows a road through Singur (SH-6) which joins NH2 at Bardhaman. Is it in good shape?
Please suggest keeping in mind that I am NOT a local to Kolkata and am not aware which are the one-way roads. Is one-way enforced at early mornings too, like say about 5 AM?

Thanks,
Saket
Best route in my opinion is:

EM By Pass - Chingrighata fly over towards Salt Lake Sector V - Rajarhat - Belgharia Expressway - Nivedita Setu (Bridge) - NH2 through Singur. Just as MMI says.

After the exit to the new airport terminals, take a right towards the old terminal. The road let you exit to NH34 or Jessore Road. Once you see a fly over coming down to the other lane, take a left towards Belgharia Expressway. You will reach a fork where you need to keep right towards Nivedita Bridge. After the bridge, there would be another fork towards Delhi Road. This will take you to NH2 via Singur.
redracham is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th November 2014, 13:02   #379
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by redracham View Post
Best route in my opinion is:
Thanks for the heads up!

With your advice, I have plotted the following route map on Google maps. Can you please confirm if it's a simple route. Since I am a non-localite, I would prefer a simple route, even if it is a few kms longer than shorter ones through the city. And are city one ways enforced 24 hours in and around Kolkata?

Please look at the route on Gmaps at this link and suggest. I am more concerned about getting on the Durgapur expressway than the route later.

https://maps.google.co.in/maps?ll=24...lassic&dg=ntvb

Thanks again,
Saket

Last edited by saket77 : 4th November 2014 at 13:05.
Old 4th November 2014, 13:49   #380
BHPian

Quote:
Can you please confirm if it's a simple route. Since I am a non-localite, I would prefer a simple route, even if it is a few kms longer than shorter ones through the city. And are city one ways enforced 24 hours in and around Kolkata?

Please look at the route on Gmaps at this link and suggest. I am more concerned about getting on the Durgapur expressway than the route later.

Thanks again,
Saket
Yes, that's definitely a simpler route. Given your starting point and timing, I think you have drawn the best possible route for getting into NH-2. You have to slow down a bit near Point C (Baguihati Crossing) where flyover work is on-going. Other than that most of the route would be through 4-laned roads.

Best,
Golam
gmhossain is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th November 2014, 13:59   #381
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmhossain View Post
Yes, that's definitely a simpler route. Given your starting point and timing, I think you have drawn the best possible route for getting into NH-2. You have to slow down a bit near Point C (Baguihati Crossing) where flyover work is on-going. Other than that most of the route would be through 4-laned roads.

Best,
Golam
Thanks for the confirmation, Golam. Also, please let me know the one-way timings, if any in & around Kolkata.

Regards,
Saket
Old 4th November 2014, 14:51   #382
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the heads up!

Thanks again,
Saket
Hi Saket - Not sure if this link will work, but try it: https://www.google.co.in/maps/dir/Du...d22.484565!3e0

I live very near to your starting point, so let me know if you want me to come over for any further help. I can drop by on my way back from work.
redracham is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th November 2014, 15:44   #383
BHPian

Quote:
Also, please let me know the one-way timings, if any in & around Kolkata.

Regards,
Saket
For the route that you have chosen within the Kolkata city area, there are no timing/one-way restrictions.

Basically, it's a major thoroughfare of Kolkata and it connects the main city to the airport.
gmhossain is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th November 2014, 16:09   #384
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by redracham View Post
Hi Saket - Not sure if this link will work, but try it: https://www.google.co.in/maps/dir/Du...d22.484565!3e0

I live very near to your starting point, so let me know if you want me to come over for any further help. I can drop by on my way back from work.
Thanks. The link did show up. Really appreciate your gesture. However, my own whereabouts of the evening is still unknown as yet, hence I am not certain about meeting up. And will mostly leave at unearthly hours of morning, hence do not want to disturb you at that hour. However, I know the loss of not meeting you will be entirely mine. Will ping you certainly if I need more help on this.

Quote:
For the route that you have chosen within the Kolkata city area, there are no timing/one-way restrictions.

Basically, it's a major thoroughfare of Kolkata and it connects the main city to the airport.
Thanks for the confirmation. Really appreciate your help. Thanks.

Regards,
Saket

Last edited by saket77 : 4th November 2014 at 16:10.
Old 7th November 2014, 17:52   #385
BHPian

Glad to find this thread. Looks like this is the preferred route at present. Am planning to do it in reverse direction. Actually and driving down from Guwahati to Bangalore in Feb 2015. And I would like to bypass Kolkata and hit Kharagpur directly.

Am planing to drive from dawn to dusk. Where should I take my first / second day break from Guwahati. 3rd day I should be in Odisha and on my way to Vizag / Vijaywada hopefully.

What are good places for night break? Basic highway hotel but safe for car

Fuel bunks to avoid?

Any are tips?
Old 7th November 2014, 20:08   #386
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyb View Post
Glad to find this thread. Looks like this is the preferred route at present. Am planning to do it in reverse direction. Actually and driving down from Guwahati to Bangalore in Feb 2015. And I would like to bypass Kolkata and hit Kharagpur directly.

Am planing to drive from dawn to dusk. Where should I take my first / second day break from Guwahati. 3rd day I should be in Odisha and on my way to Vizag / Vijaywada hopefully.

What are good places for night break? Basic highway hotel but safe for car

Fuel bunks to avoid?

Any are tips?
Best you can achieve on Day 1 ex-Guwahati is Siliguri or if you are lucky Purnea.

I would still prefer the Durgapur expressway via Dankuni (Calcutta) to Kharagpur although I hear that the Durgapur-Bishnupur-Midnapore-Kharagpur road is now better.
hvkumar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th November 2014, 13:38   #387
BHPian

Just had a two-day 690 km round trip to Malda from Kolkata this weekend (Family visit, 8th-9th November 2014, Saturday-Sunday).
The ongoing journey was made via the old and conventional NH34 from Kolkata-Behrampore(Baharampur)-Morgram-Malda.
The return was via Morgram-SH7-Burdwan-DGP Expressway-Kolkata.

I will share the NH34 updates here.

Route:

Kolkata-Birati-Barrackpore-Kalyani Expressway-Barajaguli(NH34 connector)-Krishnanagar-Behrampore-Farakka-Malda

Time taken = 11 hours (excluding stopovers)

Summary:

Before starting the journey, I was informed by Himadri da (TBHP handle himadrimondal) and Golam (TBHP handle gmhossain) that NH34 is a mixed bag in terms of
road quality, the Kolkata-Krishnanagar being the worst.
Golam suggested that I should take the Kalyani Expressway till Barajaguli to Bypass Barasat, and what a suggestion it turned out to be. Thanks! to him.
So, we started at 5:30 am and soon cruising along the arterial road to Newtown-Airport.

Birati-KalyaniExpressway-Barajaguli:

After crossing the Jessore road-Belghoria Expressway connector, we took the second left to Birati. Nothing special to comment here about the road. Soon we were at Birati Flyover
and much sooner at the approach road (right turn) to Barrackpore-Kalyani Expressway.

Road Condition:

Very good. Its a two-lane expressway, but one could easily maintain 70-80 kmph with cautious driving. The tarmac, though not comparable to 4 lane expressways, but still pretty good.
One advise - Be very careful while overtaking, specially along the twist and turns. Tolls paid - INR 10 in two places.
Just before approaching Kalyani, a right turn would land in the connector to Barajaguli (NH34). This road is too freshly laid, and in very good condition.

This route to Bypass Barasat, is about 17 kms more, but worth every penny. Thanks, Golam!

Barajaguli-Santipur Bypass-Krishnanagar:

As soon as we landed on NH34 at Barajaguli, the worst condition of NH34 revealed itself. Craters (of every possible shape), potholes everywhere. Literally all over the road.
The struggle continued, with the steering moving like driving in an OTR. Even the Santipur Bypass is in shambles! 4 Laning? - No sign whatsoever. Good road (patched)? - One or two stretches not more than 1.5 km max followed by 10 km bad roads (ratio 1:7).
We reached Krishnanagar at 8:45 am.

Krishnanagar-Debagram-Plassey-Behrampore:

I had an idea that four laning is 50% done in this stretch. Yes it was. But, who cares when the rest of the road are "No roads". The term "No roads" would be put to shame here.
The tarmac which is not repaired for ages, filled with potholes (some even 2-3 feet deep). The drive in this stretch was like 70 kmph for 3 kms (Four lane), then 10-20 kmph for next 8 kms(never ending) (not according to correct statistics, but the mental feeling of the driver).
And in Behrampore - Heavy snarl of trucks. Due to 2-3 trucks breaking down. I had to squeeze past the stagnant array of trucks from the left to move ahead.
Woah! After a lot of skillful moves, Behrampore town was done with. Time : 12:40 pm.

Behrampore-Morgram-Farakka:

What a contrast! That's the tagline for this stretch.
Just after crossing the bridge over Bhagirathi, new toll gate at Sibpur arrived. Toll : INR 35 one way. Excellent Roads all the way. Freshly laid four lane, with proper lane
markings, even intermediate bus stops and exits through proper chanels. Too good! This stretch (91 km approx) took me 1 hour. Two tolls : Sibpur (INR 35 one way) and Chandermore (INR 40 one way, INR 60 return)

Farakka-Kaliachak-Malda:

After around half an hour tea break at Morgram BP Coco, we were at Farakka barrage at 2:15 pm. As usual after slow movement on the barrage, we found few stretches of four lane (WIP) on the approach to Kaliachak. Also the two lane roads upto the approach of
Kaliachak were ok and drivable. But what awaits us, is dreadful. About 2 km ahead of the Kaliachak crossing, a huge queue of trucks lying stagnant. After waiting for about ten minutes, I saw a few Bolero Trucks and Savaris crossing the road by a broken divider and on the wrong side of the
road. I thought for a moment whether I should try the same feat with my EON! But decided to go for it. First, while crossing the broken divider - the lower side of front bumper scratched a bit, but nothing was serious. Then came the morrum road which is being prepared for the upcoming 4 laning.
Then came small hill like undulations (sometimes pretty stiff). Pure off-road stuff. To give a clue of this road, its the road on the right hand side below the flyover on the approach to Kaliachak. We crossed about 50 trucks (approx) by this route. On the way, my wife pointed to a Pajero Sport,
which was looking down helplessly from the flyover towards the "far less capable" vehicle. But it was EONs day. After all this effort, I could manage to cross Kaliachak in 1.5 hours and after extremely bad roads on the approach to Malda, reached Malda at 4:45 pm.

OT : Going by the situation the Pajero was in, it was not abnormal for it to reach Malda around an hour and half late than me. So, its not always the type of the car concerned, but now its pure situational.

Verdict:

Not recommended at all, atleast for a year and half.

The summary of return route to be shared.

Last edited by gearhead_mait : 10th November 2014 at 13:39.
gearhead_mait is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th November 2014, 18:15   #388
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhead_mait View Post

Birati-KalyaniExpressway-Barajaguli: ...
Road Condition:

Very good. Its a two-lane expressway, but one could easily maintain 70-80 kmph with cautious driving. The tarmac, though not comparable to 4 lane expressways, but still pretty good.
One advise - Be very careful while overtaking, specially along the twist and turns. Tolls paid - INR 10 in two places.
I am glad that you could actually manage to complete the adventure!

On Kalyani Expy there are 3 toll booths (one near Kalyani) but you need to pay toll only once. You just need to show the receipt from first booth to pass through the remaining. Sorry that I forgot to mention this to you.

Cheers,
Old 10th November 2014, 19:42   #389
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhead_mait View Post
Birati-KalyaniExpressway-Barajaguli:

After crossing the Jessore road-Belghoria Expressway connector, we took the second left to Birati. Nothing special to comment here about the road. Soon we were at Birati Flyover
and much sooner at the approach road (right turn) to Barrackpore-Kalyani Expressway.

Road Condition:

Just before approaching Kalyani, a right turn would land in the connector to Barajaguli (NH34). This road is too freshly laid, and in very good condition.

This route to Bypass Barasat, is about 17 kms more, but worth every penny. Thanks, Golam!
Actually should be 13 km longer.
Have been using this route for quite some time now. Can't remember when I last did Airport - Barajaguli using NH34!
Did you use the approach from Birati, or the unofficial one from the Belghoria Expressway?

Quote:
On Kalyani Expy there are 3 toll booths (one near Kalyani) but you need to pay toll only once. You just need to show the receipt from first booth to pass through the remaining. Sorry that I forgot to mention this to you.
True.

Regards
Sutripta
Old 11th November 2014, 10:32   #390
BHPian

Quote:
I am glad that you could actually manage to complete the adventure!
Thanks for your advise. But still NH34 is not worth traveling on. It was indeed some adventure.

Quote:

Cheers,
Ahh! I paid twice. INR 10 each.
But my question is why did they take twice? They should have asked whether I have already paid it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutripta View Post
Actually should be 13 km longer.
Did you use the approach from Birati, or the unofficial one from the Belghoria Expressway?
I used the Birati approach.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks