Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th November 2013, 11:50   #241
BHPian

re: Kolkata - Siliguri route via Dumka, Bhagalpur or NH-12 (old NH-34)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1100D View Post
Coming from Siliguri, going towards Raiganj, what is the best way to avoid the infamous Dalkhola crossing and its associated traffic hold ups?
You may read this link:-
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...im-bhutan.html

Mr. Debarshi Mandal once took this route, while going to north Bengal with his Pajero.
Old 7th November 2013, 14:16   #242
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Well, not sure if it would be appropriate to create a separate thread for this, but since the question pertains to one part of the Kolkata-Siliguri commute that is being discussed here, might as well quickly ask it here.

Coming from Siliguri, going towards Raiganj, what is the best way to avoid the infamous Dalkhola crossing and its associated traffic hold ups?
Quote:
Originally Posted by rahul4640 View Post
You may read this link:-
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...im-bhutan.html

Mr. Debarshi Mandal once took this route, while going to north Bengal with his Pajero.
That route does exist & I remember that due to some problem in Dalkola, buses took that route (wait, maybe it was election in Kishangunj, or something similar)

I would depend on you guys to further update on this And it shortens the distance as well.

1100D - There is another route which bye-passes the jam. If coming from Kishangunj side, as soon as the 4 lane road ends, you will come across a left turn, you have to go in that direction & keep asking, but be cautious on the speed breaker to warn about the unmanned railway crossing, our Safari's rear portion scraped badly. It is that unscientifically designed.

While coming from Calcutta, it is around ~300 meters prior to the crossing, to your right.

Read in today's TT again. Ruling & opposition are playing the blame-game amongst themselves in full force.

Last edited by Sheel : 7th November 2013 at 14:20.
Old 7th November 2013, 15:29   #243
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
That route does exist & I remember that due to some problem in Dalkola, buses took that route (wait, maybe it was election in Kishangunj, or something similar)

I would depend on you guys to further update on this And it shortens the distance as well.

1100D - There is another route which bye-passes the jam. If coming from Kishangunj side, as soon as the 4 lane road ends, you will come across a left turn, you have to go in that direction & keep asking, but be cautious on the speed breaker to warn about the unmanned railway crossing, our Safari's rear portion scraped badly. It is that unscientifically designed.

While coming from Calcutta, it is around ~300 meters prior to the crossing, to your right.

Read in today's TT again. Ruling & opposition are playing the blame-game amongst themselves in full force.
Islampur-Kishanganj-Dalkhola is complete 4-lane. So not sure what you mean by end of 4-lane. Can you please indicate on a Map the entry and exit into this route.
Old 7th November 2013, 15:35   #244
Team-BHP Support

As soon as the 4 lane road ends at Dalkola (you would see some school to your left & prior to the line hotels)

This one I guess

Last edited by Sheel : 7th November 2013 at 15:42.
Old 8th November 2013, 01:11   #245
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
As soon as the 4 lane road ends at Dalkola (you would see some school to your left & prior to the line hotels)

This one I guess
Even this one is a branch off from 4 lanes of the NH31. (Zoom In)

Kolkata - Siliguri route via Dumka, Bhagalpur or NH-12 (old NH-34)-untitled5.jpg

TO go to Purnea from Raiganj what would be an appropriate byepass for Dalkhola. The one in Debarshims post goes the wrong way upto Kishanganj.

http://goo.gl/maps/7uRIO

Last edited by 1100D : 8th November 2013 at 01:21.
Old 11th November 2013, 08:20   #246
Team-BHP Support

I think that is the road whose link I mentioned.

Quote:
TO go to Purnea from Raiganj what would be an appropriate byepass for Dalkhola. The one in Debarshims post goes the wrong way upto Kishanganj.

http://goo.gl/maps/7uRIO
New roads are being constructed everyday. I am attaching a link of the soon to be constructed road. Now to go to Calcutta, we don't need to do the Dalkola/Raigunj circus.

But is yet to be completed. Once completed, I shall update here. This is the one am talking about.

To answer your question, there isn't any bye-pass yet, but have heard of another road being constructed via Barsoi, Salmari (you may Google for it).

The only point restricting it maybe a porous border, difficult to man. Criminals find it very convenient to do anti social things in West Bengal side & then fleece to Bihar & vice-verse.
Old 11th November 2013, 13:04   #247
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I think that is the road whose link I mentioned.
I guess the one on that link you posted would be appropriate. My requirement is to go from Raiganj to Purnea, towards the end of November, and want to avoid the Jam at Dalkhola. Not sure what would be an appropriate landmark to take the right turn into Dalkhola town from the NH34, so that this alternate crossing point is reached. If someone can locate that, it would be great.
Old 12th November 2013, 07:31   #248
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I guess the one on that link you posted would be appropriate. My requirement is to go from Raiganj to Purnea, towards the end of November, and want to avoid the Jam at Dalkhola. Not sure what would be an appropriate landmark to take the right turn into Dalkhola town from the NH34, so that this alternate crossing point is reached. If someone can locate that, it would be great.
Why don't you come via Bhagalpur?

But, if you have some work on towns alongside NH-34, then it is understandable to take that route.

Lemme know about it, I shall see what can be done.
Old 12th November 2013, 13:28   #249
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Why don't you come via Bhagalpur?

But, if you have some work on towns alongside NH-34, then it is understandable to take that route.

Lemme know about it, I shall see what can be done.
I am not taking NH34 at all. I need to visit Raiganj, which I will visit from Siliguri, on the way back will take Raiganj-Dalkhola-Purnea-Bhagalpur-Dumka route. So wanted a byepass to the Dalkhola crossing in going from Raiganj to Purnea. But I guess, the only alternate to the crossing will be something (dont exactly know what. But I am trying to find out through this post) on the right side, a few 100 meters ahead of the crossing and then go over to the otherside of the railway tracks and then rejoin NH31.

The question is on what should be a landmark to look out for to take the road to the alternate level crossing coming from NH34 (Raiganj to be specific).
Old 13th November 2013, 07:59   #250
Team-BHP Support

There is a right turn some 300-500 meters prior to the level crossing.

To me from the map, it appears, it is before Parmod Hotel & Lodge. But if the line isn't long at the crossing, don't bother with it.
Old 24th November 2013, 20:37   #251
Senior - BHPian

Anyone did the Messanjore, Dumka, Bhagalpur, Purnea route in recent times? Hopefully, by this time the route must have been resurfaced, isn't it?
Old 24th November 2013, 20:57   #252
BHPian

Quote:
Anyone did the Messanjore, Dumka, Bhagalpur, Purnea route in recent times? Hopefully, by this time the route must have been resurfaced, isn't it?
I would also be glad to get the latest update on this route & prevailing road conditions. Would be travelling from Hyderabad next month.
Old 27th November 2013, 10:32   #253
BHPian

Babuda, thank you for your update. As well as Sutriptoda. Am planning to do this in December to spend a few days in the jungles of Dooars. Its going to be a solo drive. However while coming back I might take a break at Purnea or Bhagalpur. Since the battalion of wives and kids would be taking the afternoon flight back to Kolkata. How safe is it to drive post dusk till Siuri? Then I can jolly well drive back to Kolkata. Anirban staying glued for your updates.
Old 28th November 2013, 12:33   #254
BHPian

Just back from our fantastic trip from Bangalore to Bhutan and followed this route-thank you Sheel for the real time advice.
Me_Sid-we drove post dusk till Bolpur and it was pretty safe.
Bhagalpur was a nightmare-it is still haunting us! had to cross it twice-to & fro. Will be posting the T' Log soon.
What cannot be fathomed is why are the approaches to bridges or culverts so bad??? Mobile speed agalore in the form of humans, pigs, goats, buffaloes not forgetting bikers coming the wrong side.
Judemayne is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th November 2013, 12:59   #255
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judemayne View Post
Just back from our fantastic trip from Bangalore to Bhutan and followed this route-thank you Sheel for the real time advice.
Me_Sid-we drove post dusk till Bolpur and it was pretty safe.
Bhagalpur was a nightmare-it is still haunting us! had to cross it twice-to & fro. Will be posting the T' Log soon.
What cannot be fathomed is why are the approaches to bridges or culverts so bad??? Mobile speed agalore in the form of humans, pigs, goats, buffaloes not forgetting bikers coming the wrong side.
Jude saab, two things just for reconfirmation. a. Only the bhagalpur section was bad (for how long and from where to where if you remember sir) balance were good. And b.the NH31c upto madarihat how was it?. Total time taken for kol-Siliguri?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks