Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th February 2015, 15:47   #16
M35
BHPian

Re: Need advice: Palakkad- Hyderabad

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Can be done, but will be a long (14-15 hour drive, depends on breaks you take as well which can make it longer).
If you start around 3am from Palakkad you should be in Bangalore around 10am which will be peak hour traffic time on weekdays. In that case, Hosur-Bagalur-Hoskote-Devanahalli may be an option to bypass Bangalore. This will be much longer than going via the city, but better since you get to avoid city traffic mostly.
Thanks. Let me see if I can make it.
  • How many kilometers should be the Hosur-Bagalur-Hoskote-Devanahalli stretch to by-pass BLR city ?
  • If I am unable to make it to Hyderabad on the same day, what would be a decent staying option after Bangalore, preferably 2-3 hours distance to Hyderabad?
Old 16th February 2015, 16:14   #17
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by M35 View Post
Can I do Palakkad –Hyderabad in a SINGLE day with a very early morning start ?
980 km. Might be doable but I wouldn't advise you to cover the entire stretch in a single day. It will end up being a real hectic journey if you are the solo driver. With breaks and unanticipated queues at toll booths, this will take a good 17-18 hours IMO. Not worth the speedrun.

Take a break somewhere midway (preferably a hotel/lodging by the side of the NH-7 so less time to get in and out of the highway) so you can rest for the night. Start from Palakkad around 5 AM, bypass Bangalore for lunch around 1:30 PM and reach the Hotel before sundown. Depart early for Hyderabad the next day.

The Walayar stretch is in good shape now (4-laned, beautiful tarmac) and there is zero traffic in the wee hours. The Coimbatore L&T bypass road OTOH, is a pain with so many intermediary toll booths and might take a good 45 minutes to cross this stretch.
Gannu_1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th February 2015, 16:16   #18
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
This will be much longer than going via the city, but better since you get to avoid city traffic mostly. From Devanahalli you're on NH7 on the way to Hyderabad.
Quote:
Thanks. Let me see if I can make it.
  • How many kilometers should be the Hosur-Bagalur-Hoskote-Devanahalli stretch to by-pass BLR city ?
  • If I am unable to make it to Hyderabad on the same day, what would be a decent staying option after Bangalore, preferably 2-3 hours distance to Hyderabad?
Surprise! Its not longer at all. Its exactly same!! 90Km to be precise.

See this:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ml#post3174510

Edit:
Instead of Nh207 all the way you can also do:
Hosur-Baglur-Malur-Hoskote-Devanahalli

Route Link

This is much better than NH207 all the way. Much less convoluted. Your entry and exit points on NH207 remain unchanged.

General word of caution:
- Please keep navigation in handy. NH207 has lots of twists and turns. Its possible you may lose your way, if you dont have navigation.
- NH207 Exit from Hosur is also quite confusing. To be precise, its right opposite to Hosur bus-stand. You will have to cross the bus stand on the flyover and take a U and come back.

Quote:
Not too many options for food after you get to Devanahalli, there is a Kamat (Ghar Dhaba inside a Bharat Petroleum campus) few Km after Devanahalli or you may have to make do with some lunch break near Ananthapur.
You can reach Hyderabad before 7pm including your breaks.
+1 for food options. Good to carry Biscuits, fruits, water etc.

Last edited by ampere : 16th February 2015 at 16:41.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th February 2015, 20:18   #19
M35
BHPian

Re: Hyderabad to Palakkad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post

The Walayar stretch is in good shape now (4-laned, beautiful tarmac) and there is zero traffic in the wee hours. The Coimbatore L&T bypass road OTOH, is a pain with so many intermediary toll booths and might take a good 45 minutes to cross this stretch.
Thanks for your feedback, appreciated.I will make it a point to drive the way I do normally and see how much I can cover and then take a call.

I had driven through Walayar last week during my trip to Ooty-Mysore and it will be a breeze in the early morning. Thanks again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ml#post3174510

Edit:
Instead of Nh207 all the way you can also do:
Hosur-Baglur-Malur-Hoskote-Devanahalli

Route Link
This is much better than NH207 all the way. Much less convoluted. Your entry and exit points on NH207 remain unchanged.
I was awaiting your reply. All points noted. Thanks again.
Old 17th February 2015, 19:45   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Kurnool is around 215 kms before Hyderabad, and I did spot some decent hotels abutting the highway. You can choose to break your journey there, if needed.

But Hyderabad outskirts are only 2 hours drive from Kurnool, and if you're entering the city after 9 pm, there wont be much traffic in the city.

Depending on where you're staying in Hyderabad, you can either take the ORR at Shamshabad or proceed straight to the city via PVNR fly over.
vnabhi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th February 2015, 19:50   #21
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
If I am unable to make it to Hyderabad on the same day, what would be a decent staying option after Bangalore, preferably 2-3 hours distance to Hyderabad?
Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
Kurnool is around 215 kms before Hyderabad, and I did spot some decent hotels abutting the highway. You can choose to break your journey there, if needed.
If you think you cannot make it to Hyderabad in one day, I would say break at Bangalore. Drive till Devanahalli; come back towards Bangalore; cross the international airport exit and take right at the next signal. You will find Hotel Presidency. I have not there stayed myself, nor have any feedbacks, but their site looks quite decent.

Here is your route link updated for Bangalore bypass ending at the hotel:

Route Link

Here is the hotel link: http://www.hotelpresidencyblr.com

This will also help you get out of Bangalore without any trouble. You anyway are out of Bangalore to begin with!

Last edited by ampere : 17th February 2015 at 19:51.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th February 2015, 14:27   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for your feedback, appreciated.I will make it a point to drive the way I do normally and see how much I can cover and then take a call.

I had driven through Walayar last week during my trip to Ooty-Mysore and it will be a breeze in the early morning. Thanks again.

I was awaiting your reply. All points noted. Thanks again.
Has this drive been done?I still dont think its a great idea attempting a Hyd-to any place in Kerala in a single day.Crossing Blr and reaching Salem tires you out,the same in the reverse direction as well.

BLR-HYD has absolutely zilch facilities in terms of food or place to stay,its like driving in the middle of a desert:(
ranjitp1 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st March 2015, 19:23   #23
M35
BHPian

Thanks everyone for your inputs. Appreciated and my apologies for this late response.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
Has this drive been done?(
Yes. Below the details.

Earlier I was planning to leave for Hyderabad on the 20th but had to start off earlier unexpectedly. We could leave Palakkad only at 9.00 am and it was unexpected and unavoidable.
  • Took the walayar CBE route. Beautiful 4-Lane until Walayar and then the bumpy stretch until L&T by-pass. Not much of traffic but the usual check points on the L&T road a put off.
  • Reached Saravan Bhavan [before Salem] at around 11.30am for a short tea break.
  • The beautiful 4-Lane got us to Saravana Bhavan @ Krishnagiri for Lunch at around 1.00pm.
  • Reached Hosur in no time, from where we turned right in front of the bus-stand towards Malur-Hoskote and then on to NH-7. Some moderate truck traffic on the Malur-Hoskote stretch while bypassing Bangalore city traffic.
  • The 4-lane highway towards Hyderabad is beautiful with almost no other vehicle. The drive through the ‘desert’ got us to Anantapur beyond which we felt some ‘life’ on the highway. I was able to do a consistent 120-130 kmph all the way until Kurnool. It was fun covering 100 kms in every 1hour and that drive got us to Shamshabad near Airport at around 9.45 pm. From there we should have taken the inner ring road to our destination, instead took the PVNR flyover which took us to the Hyderabad city = another 1.30 hrs to our final destination which otherwise should have been just a 30-45 minute affair [missed vnabhi’s post :(]

Total distance covered =11xx km.

Time taken = around 14 hours.

Will start our return tomorrow at around 5.00 am. Will update here, once back home.
M35 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th March 2015, 18:05   #24
M35
BHPian

Quote:
Will start our return tomorrow at around 5.00 am. Will update here, once back home.
Left the Hotel we stayed in Hyderabad at 5.00am and reached Davanahalli [Bangalore] at around 11.30am. Turned left off NH-7 towards Hoskote and headed towards Hosur. Thought of taking the Sarjapur route and lost the way in the traffic. Reached Saravanabavan @Krishnagiri for Lunch by 2.00pm taking a well deserved break for about 45 minutes.

Now the twist. Change in plan and destination = instead of Palakkad thought of reaching our home near Munnar. Reached Salem in about 1 hour at 3.45 pm. Headed towards Dindigul via Namakkal and Karur.

From Dindigul, got off the 4-lane roads and took the right turn towards Theni. Nice and newly laid 2-lane road until Bathalgundu and then some badly patched up road until Theni.

Theni-Bodimettu Ghat has been re-laid and 90 % of the work seemed to have finished. The relaxed drive via the Ghat and beyond got us to Poopara. Took the route via Rajakumari and reached home near Rajakkad at around 9.30pm.
Old 12th March 2015, 23:10   #25
Senior - BHPian

Has anyone tried this route via Bagepalli-Chintamani-Kolar-Malur-Hosur? Was checking out route options to Hyd.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks