Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st February 2013, 23:11   #1
BHPian

Hyderabad to Palakkad

Folks, I am planning a trip to Palakkad from Hyderabad in my SX4 by-passing bangalore by taking a diversion from devanahalli through Hoskote-Malur Road and joining NH7 at Shoolagiri.

My house is at Ottapalam, the total distance as per google map is 1027 k.m.

We plan to start at 0400 a.m. in the morning and want to do it at one go reaching palakkad around 0800 p.m.!

Require your suggestions/help on the route, especially the Bangalore bypass. Can I do this in a day?
Old 1st February 2013, 23:39   #2
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Hyderabad to Palakkad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keralite View Post
Folks, I am planning a trip to Palakkad from Hyderabad in my SX4 by-passing bangalore by taking a diversion from devanahalli through Hoskote-Malur Road and joining NH7 at Shoolagiri.

We plan to start at 0400 a.m. in the morning and want to do it at one go reaching palakkad around 0800 p.m.!

Require your suggestions/help on the route, especially the Bangalore bypass. Can I do this in a day?
You might just barely make it with total driving time of 16 hrs but not without some luck to escape city traffic. But it's going to be a long, tiring journey. Why not break in Bangalore, maybe some hotel on Hosur Road itself ?
On the route - once you get to Devanahalli on NH7 (make a left turn and get into Devanahalli) then make another left turn near the Devanahalli bus stand/Police station to get to NH206. This will get you to Hoskote and merge with NH4 (Old Madras Road). Now get to the other side of NH206 to go towards Bagalur and Hosur. Not sure about road conditions on this route.
Alternatively, once you get onto NH206 from Devanahalli bus stand, about 3Km or so later you will see a right turn to go towards Mandur, Budigere Cross. Taking this you can get to Old Madras Road where you should turn left and about 1km or so later make a right turn to get onto the SH35 whitefield road. you can then proceed towards Varthur, Dommasandra, Sarjapur and then Attibele (NH7). Turn left here and you will be at the border toll booth and then proceed towards Hosur. Good road conditions on this stretch.
Old 2nd February 2013, 03:18   #3
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Can I do this in a day?
It might just be possible. But the question is, do you want to do it?
If you start by say 4AM, you should be able to come down till Salem by evening and that is a good place to break.

About bypassing Bangalore, @NPV has already mentioned about Devanahalli-Old Madras Road-Whitefield-Varthur-Sarjapur-Attibelle. Here is a thread with more details

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...bangalore.html

Last edited by ampere : 2nd February 2013 at 03:23.
Old 2nd February 2013, 06:57   #4
BHPian

My colleague is from palakkad. He starts by 5 am and reaches Salem by evening 6 or 7 depending on traffic and takes a break. Next morning he starts and reaches palakkad. Saying this if you have energy after reaching say Salem if you want to continue. You should. I am not sure how the traffic between Salem and Coimbatore will be at that. Time.
Old 2nd February 2013, 11:17   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
You might just barely make it with total driving time of 16 hrs but not without some luck to escape city traffic. But it's going to be a long, tiring journey. Why not break in Bangalore, maybe some hotel on Hosur Road itself ?
On the route - once you get to Devanahalli on NH7 (make a left turn and get into Devanahalli) then make another left turn near the Devanahalli bus stand/Police station to get to NH206. This will get you to Hoskote and merge with NH4 (Old Madras Road). Now get to the other side of NH206 to go towards Bagalur and Hosur. Not sure about road conditions on this route.
Alternatively, once you get onto NH206 from Devanahalli bus stand, about 3Km or so later you will see a right turn to go towards Mandur, Budigere Cross. Taking this you can get to Old Madras Road where you should turn left and about 1km or so later make a right turn to get onto the SH35 whitefield road. you can then proceed towards Varthur, Dommasandra, Sarjapur and then Attibele (NH7). Turn left here and you will be at the border toll booth and then proceed towards Hosur. Good road conditions on this stretch.
Thank you, this will help me.

Initially we thought to halt at bangalore, but, some how I am aiming to reach palakkad somewhere at 0800 to 0900 p.m. Then it will not be an issue with the awesome road ahead up till ottapalam.

I will also see going via ORR from Hebbal. As per latest reports, Ring Road is almost heavily crowded all the time ...Moreover, when we are starting at 0400 a.m. we will be reaching somewhere at 1100 hours at Hebbal that's a kind of encountering that traffic on RR, if not the peak time.

Thank you.
Old 2nd February 2013, 11:59   #6
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
About bypassing Bangalore, @NPV has already mentioned about Devanahalli-Old Madras Road-Whitefield-Varthur-Sarjapur-Attibelle.
@Amp any idea about the road condition of NH206 from Hoskote to Bagalur and then to Hosur from there direcly ? I guess one need not get to Sarjapur again and then take Attibele Road, correct ? If this is good, then it may be more straighforward route than the Devanahalli-Mandur-whitefield-varthur-sarjapur-attibele route.
Old 2nd February 2013, 12:40   #7
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
@Amp any idea about the road condition of NH206 from Hoskote to Bagalur and then to Hosur from there direcly ? I guess one need not get to Sarjapur again and then take Attibele Road, correct ? If this is good, then it may be more straighforward route than the Devanahalli-Mandur-whitefield-varthur-sarjapur-attibele route.
That's NH207. Dobbaspet to Devanahalli is very good and so is Hoskote to Hosur. But I don't know how is it from Devanahalli to Hoskote. If that section is good then it may be better option but that's a longer circle. It also saves a toll!
Old 2nd February 2013, 14:09   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Thank you, this will help me.

Initially we thought to halt at bangalore, but, some how I am aiming to reach palakkad somewhere at 0800 to 0900 p.m. Then it will not be an issue with the awesome road ahead up till ottapalam.

I will also see going via ORR from Hebbal. As per latest reports, Ring Road is almost heavily crowded all the time ...Moreover, when we are starting at 0400 a.m. we will be reaching somewhere at 1100 hours at Hebbal that's a kind of encountering that traffic on RR, if not the peak time.

Thank you.
Actually, ORR is not that bad especially the stretch that you will have to cover. That stretch is almost signal free. Vehicles move 40 - 60 KM speed most of the time. I am not sure about the state of flyover construction before reaching silk board junction. Overall I expect you should be able to cover the ORR stretch in 30 - 40 Minutes if you pass around 11'o clock. Once you reach silk board junction, you can take the electronics city elevated toll road, which should take 10 - 15 minutes including the time spent at toll gate.

BTW, starting at 6.00 AM from Bangalore I reach Palakkad by around 2.00 PM - with two breaks thrown in. The difficult stretch overall is between Avanashi and Palakkad due to the bad road.
Old 3rd February 2013, 13:29   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_ramesh99 View Post
Actually, ORR is not that bad especially the stretch that you will have to cover. That stretch is almost signal free. Vehicles move 40 - 60 KM speed most of the time.
I think ORR Stretch is only 27 KM...? In such case, at 1100 hour or so, I think I can cover it and join Hosur Road below an hour? If this is so, then, things are a bit smooth. Any idea, the Hosur road after ORR till Shoolagiri will have heavy traffic or not?
Old 3rd February 2013, 20:35   #10
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I think ORR Stretch is only 27 KM...? In such case, at 1100 hour or so, I think I can cover it and join Hosur Road below an hour? If this is so, then, things are a bit smooth. Any idea, the Hosur road after ORR till Shoolagiri will have heavy traffic or not?
Should have asked you earlier - are you planning to do this drive on a weekday or weekend ? On weekdays you can expect to cover the Hebbal-ORR upto Old Madras Road quickly (just 1 signal and all other junctions now have underpasses/overbridges that are operational) but then you almost always have heavy plus slow moving traffic on the stretch from Old Madras Road-KR Puram-ORR towards Marathalli-Sarjapur Road
I would still go with Devanahalli-Mandur-Budigere Cross-Whitefield-Varthur-Dommasandra-Sarjapur-Attibele and you will get to the border toll in about 0.5-1 Km after you merge onto NH7 at Attibele (you can also avoid other painful stretches like Madiwala, Silk Board, etc that you will need to cross to get onto the elevated toll way to ECity).

Last edited by NPV : 3rd February 2013 at 20:42.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th February 2013, 08:15   #11
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Should have asked you earlier - are you planning to do this drive on a weekday or weekend ? On weekdays you can expect to cover the Hebbal-ORR upto Old Madras Road quickly (just 1 signal and all other junctions now have underpasses/overbridges that are operational) but then you almost always have heavy plus slow moving traffic on the stretch from Old Madras Road-KR Puram-ORR towards Marathalli-Sarjapur Road
I would still go with Devanahalli-Mandur-Budigere Cross-Whitefield-Varthur-Dommasandra-Sarjapur-Attibele and you will get to the border toll in about 0.5-1 Km after you merge onto NH7 at Attibele (you can also avoid other painful stretches like Madiwala, Silk Board, etc that you will need to cross to get onto the elevated toll way to ECity).

Quote:
I still dont think its worth taking inroads into Bangalore ORR. By the time you cross the city itself you would have lost half your energy. The other half would gone crossing Hosur Krishnagiri.

Instead choose the bypass option. Its way-way better. The standard bypass option is take BIAL road (Bangalore International Airport) to join the NH4 just before SH35. And then go via Whitefield, Varthhur, Sarjapur, Attibelle.

Nowadays even the Whitefield section gets crowded many a times. The ideal bypass would be Devanahalli-Hoskote-Sarjapur bypass-Bagalur-Hosur.
However I dont know how is the Devanahalli-Hoskote section. But Hoskote-Sarjapur-Baglur-Hosur is very good. It might be worth trying. Because there is absolutely no traffic. You really wont believe that you have crossed Bangalore!

And you know what; the route via Bangalore city is almost same if not a bit longer by 4-5 km! Counter intuitive? See the route details.

Via Hoskote-Bagalur

Via Bangalore City

Last edited by ampere : 4th February 2013 at 08:23.
Old 4th February 2013, 14:59   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

My house is at Ottapalam, the total distance as per google map is 1027 k.m.

We drive Sainikpuri(Secbad)-Managalamkunnu(Ottapalam) and Sainikpuri(Secbad)-Thrissur quite regularly.

If you leave at 0400 from Hyd,seeing the weather pattern now a days you would encounter heavy fog till you reach Kurnool.It should take you around 3-4hours to reach Kurnool.If no fog,then Shamshabad-Kurnool is 2.5hrs.

2hours from there to Anantpur.2hours from A'pur to Shamshabad.1.5hour to get to Attibele via the bypass route.Which means a total of 10hours in worst scenario.

If you exist KA toll gate at 1500,you would be able to make it to Salem by 1800 thanks to the diversions.A 45 minute break at Saravana Bhavan at Sankari toll gate.Salem to Perundurai is an hour's drive.From there I would suggest you take the Kangayam-Palladam-Pollachi-Palakkad-Ottapalam route.Perundurai to Ottapalam is a 4hour drive,which means you should be able to make it to Ottapalam by about 12 in the night with a 4 am departure from Hyd.Do bear in mind that fatigue would set in post 5pm because of long levels of concentration and also oncoming vehicle glare post 6pm.

My reccomendation would be to start in the afternoon from Hyd,stay at Blore for the night and reach Ottapalam for an early lunch.Feel free to buzz me in case you need more details.Just got back from Ottapalam a couple of weeks back.
Old 19th October 2014, 19:13   #13
BHPian

Hi all,

Since the past 1 year I have done Hyd - Ottapalam 5 times. 3 times alone and 2 times with a driver. I usually start after dusk in Hyd and reach Bangalore by 1 AM. Sleep at my sister's home in B'lore and leave the next day afternoon (after playing with my nieces and nephew). I reach Ottapalam by 10 at night.

My thoughts and experiences:
Hyd to Bangalore is boring (my home town is Kurnool) with lonely roads
Devanahalli to Marathahalli tires u more than hyd-blore
Bangalore to Coimbatore is my favorite route
Coimbatore to Palakkad two lane road with diversions and craters tests your patience
Old 16th February 2015, 11:59   #14
M35
BHPian

Need advice: Palakkad- Hyderabad

I am planning to visit Hyderabad in a couple of days. I will be driving my Scorpio from Palakkdad/Kerala with 3 adults on board including me. I might stay there in Hyderabad for about 10 days. I need advice on the following:
  • Can I do Palakkad –Hyderabad in a SINGLE day with a very early morning start ?
  • Best way to by-pass Bangalore or any other towns on the way ?
  • Places to visit in and around Hyderabad. Though I prefer more natural settings/ wildlife/Bird sanctuaries, all types of attractions are welcome as I may be around there for 10 days or so.
  • Any other suggestions ?
Thanks in advance.

Last edited by M35 : 16th February 2015 at 12:02.
Old 16th February 2015, 14:36   #15
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Need advice: Palakkad- Hyderabad

Quote:
Originally Posted by M35 View Post

I am planning to visit Hyderabad in a couple of days. I will be driving my Scorpio from Palakkdad/Kerala with 3 adults on board including me. I might stay there in Hyderabad for about 10 days. I need advice on the following:[list][*]Can I do Palakkad –Hyderabad in a SINGLE day with a very early morning start ?[*]Best way to by-pass Bangalore or any other towns on the way ?
Can be done, but will be a long (14-15 hour drive, depends on breaks you take as well which can make it longer).
If you start around 3am from Palakkad you should be in Bangalore around 10am which will be peak hour traffic time on weekdays. In that case, Hosur-Bagalur-Hoskote-Devanahalli may be an option to bypass Bangalore. This will be much longer than going via the city, but better since you get to avoid city traffic mostly. From Devanahalli you're on NH7 on the way to Hyderabad.
Not too many options for food after you get to Devanahalli, there is a Kamat (Ghar Dhaba inside a Bharat Petroleum campus) few Km after Devanahalli or you may have to make do with some lunch break near Ananthapur.
You can reach Hyderabad before 7pm including your breaks.

*The Aero india show starts this week, so I think the Hosur-Hoskote-Devanahalli route is better to avoid the traffic within the city.

Last edited by NPV : 16th February 2015 at 14:38.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks