Route Query : Pune-Shimoga-Coorg-Varca-Amboli-Pune

Dear All,

I am planning a trip at the end of this month. The plan is as follows:

Leg 1 : Pune to Shimoga
Leg 2 : Shimoga to Coorg
Leg 3 : Coorg to Varca, Goa
Leg 4 : Varca to Amboli
Leg 5 : Amboli to Pune

The accommodation at Coorg & Goa is going to be at Club Mahindra Resorts (Kodagu Valley & Varca Resorts respectively)

Google Maps is suggesting me the following route : Link

Would request fellow members to give your inputs on the above route. Any inputs on road conditions, alternative routes will be highly appreciated.

Thanks,

Amogh
amoghchaphalkar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th February 2013, 16:34   #2
Team-BHP Support

Re: Route Query : Pune-Shimoga-Coorg-Varca-Amboli-Pune

Quote:
Originally Posted by amoghchaphalkar View Post
Dear All,

I am planning a trip at the end of this month. The plan is as follows:

Leg 1 : Pune to Shimoga
Leg 2 : Shimoga to Coorg
Leg 3 : Coorg to Varca, Goa
Leg 4 : Varca to Amboli
Leg 5 : Amboli to Pune
Pune-Shimoga:

Instead deviating from Rannebennur you should drive till Harihar and there take the SH to Shimoga. For deviation to Chikkamagulur (CKM), drive till Kadur from Shimoga, and then take the road to CKM.

CKM-Coorg should be better off of via Haasa/Gorur/Arkalgud from Belur.

Coorg-Goa: Take the same road you came by till Shimoga and then continue on this NH206 all the way till Honnavar on NH17. And then continue on NH17 to Goa. This is a better option rather than going via Mangalore.

Last edited by ampere : 13th February 2013 at 16:35.
ampere is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 13th February 2013, 16:56   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Hi Amogh,

Leg 1: Pune - Shimoga

Instead of deviating off NH4 at Ranebennur, you can continue another 15-20 kms on NH4 till Harihar Bypass and then take the Harihar-Honalli-Shimoga Route. The route condition is good as per recent updates.

Leg 2: Shimoga - Coorg

Roads are good all the way Starting from Shimoga-Belur. The Belur-Biccodu (Towards Sakleshpur) road which is 10KMS is not in great shape but in motorable condition at slow speeds. It was undergoing repair works last weekend.

The following should be your route (note the way points):

Belur-Biccodu-Belagodu-Bage (Turn left)-Ballupet (Turn right)-Magilu (just 3 kms bad) - Kodlipete - Shanivarsanthe - Somwarpet - Madikeri

In the above route, 6 kms between Bage and Belagodu is non asphalted road with stones and pebbles leveled offering a not so bad drive.

Again, near Magilu after Ballupet, 3 kms route is bad.

Apart from this, the route all the way till Madikeri is in good shape.

Suggestion/Question: You are passing by Belur and Chikmagalur which are both tourist attractions in their own sense. The Distance from Shimoga to Chikmagalur is ~ 100kms and done in 90 minutes easily. You may want to consider making this as a halting point (?).

EDIT: Like Amp mentions, taking the same route via Shimoga for Goa is a much saner option considering the road conditions. Its just been little more than a month we took this route on our return from Mumbai (Mumbai-Khed-Sawantwadi-Goa-Karwar-Ankola-Yellapura-Sagara-Shimoga) and the road conditions are perfectly in order.

I was (rather I am) assuming you have some reason to take the Mangalore route on your way back to Goa!!

Last edited by paragsachania : 13th February 2013 at 17:04.
paragsachania is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 13th February 2013, 17:07   #4
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
Belur-Biccodu-Belagodu-Bage (Turn left)-Ballupet (Turn right)-Magilu (just 3 kms bad) - Kodlipete - Shanivarsanthe - Somwarpet - Madikeri
Parag, is this a better option, or he is better off going via Hassan/Gorur/Arkalgud to Madekeri.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th February 2013, 17:14   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Parag, is this a better option, or he is better off going via Hassan/Gorur/Arkalgud to Madekeri.
Belur-Hassan-Gorur-Arakalgud will be faster owing to better roads. I am not fully aware of how the road fares after Arkalgud till Madikeri.

If he takes this route, he can actually skip Chikmagalur and Belur entirely and take Bhadravathi-Tarikere-Birur-Kadur-Arasikere-Hassan-Gorur-Arkalgud-Madikeri route (Just 10 kms longer) but assured good roads till Hassan for sure plus he completely avoids the Belur-Bage road which is not good as of now at all.

I think what we need to know from Amogh is places that needs to cover through a particular route. Since Chikmagalur and Belur was part of the route he mentioned (Gmaps), I was assuming he wants to visit these places enroute.

Last edited by paragsachania : 13th February 2013 at 17:18.
paragsachania is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th February 2013, 17:35   #6
BHPian

Quote:
I was (rather I am) assuming you have some reason to take the Mangalore route on your way back to Goa!!
Hi Parag,

I have absolutely no reason to take the Mangalore route to Goa I am being "told" that it is a scenic and "good" route. However I am not trusting the source too much. I just want to reach Varca by the quickest route. Of course I won't mind a scenic route, but that is not the priority. Priority is reaching the destination in shortest time possible since we have kids in the car.

Going by your and Ampere's responses it seems Coorg-Shimoga-Goa is the better option.

We do not intend to cover any places / attractions enroute.

Amogh

Last edited by amoghchaphalkar : 13th February 2013 at 17:38.
Old 13th February 2013, 17:49   #7
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Amogh, The Shimoga-Honnavar route is also very very scenic! Road are very good. But for some rough sections in the end towards Honnavar around the ghat sections. You will enjoy it very much. If needed you can also visit Jog falls. Its on the way.
ampere is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th February 2013, 17:50   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Hi Parag,

I have absolutely no reason to take the Mangalore route to Goa I am being "told" that it is a scenic and "good" route. However I am not trusting the source too much. I just want to reach Varca by the quickest route. Of course I won't mind a scenic route, but that is not the priority. Priority is reaching the destination in shortest time possible since we have kids in the car.

Going by your and Ampere's responses it seems Coorg-Shimoga-Goa is the better option.

Amogh
In that case please take the following route from Shimoga to Madikeri:

Shimoga-Bhadravathi-Tarikere-Birur-Kadur-Arasikere-Hassan-Gorur-Arkalgud-Konanur-Ramanathapura-Madikeri.

From Madikeri to Goa you can again take the same route in reverse order till Shimoga:

Madikeri-Ramanathapura-Konanur-Arkalgud-Gorur-Hassan-Arasikere-Kadur-Birur-Tarikere-Bhadravathi-Shimoga-Sagar-Talaguppa-Siddapura-Sirsi-Yellapura-Ankola-Karwar-Varca

The above route is also very scenic without doubts and in terms of condition, its good since I had taken it just a month before & incidentally it was in a Punto.

If you don't want to take the suggested route, you can continue all the way on NH206 from Talaguppa till Honnavar and then reach Karwar via NH17 and head to your final destination too. In that case, this will be your route:

Madikeri-Ramanathapura-Konanur-Arkalgud-Gorur-Hassan-Arasikere-Kadur-Birur-Tarikere-Bhadravathi-Shimoga-Sagar-Talaguppa-Honnavar-Kumta-Ankola-Karwar-Varca.
paragsachania is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 14th February 2013, 15:45   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Hi Parag,
Amogh
Hi Amogh, as per the latest information that I received this noon from Addyhemmige, I guess you MUST stick to the earlier route via Chikmagalur-Belur-Bage-Ballupete-Madikeri because of the following reasons:
  • Arasikere-Hassan stretch is in very bad condition
  • From Hassan, the road leading towards Coorg via Gorur-Arkalgud-Konanur-Ramanathapura is not in best of shape.

Considering this, it is better to take the first route we discussed as the condition that I have was again from a local source and I had been through at least half of that route 2 weeks before.
Old 26th February 2013, 17:46   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Amogh, The Shimoga-Honnavar route is also very very scenic! Road are very good. But for some rough sections in the end towards Honnavar around the ghat sections. You will enjoy it very much. If needed you can also visit Jog falls. Its on the way.
+

Quote:
In that case please take the following route from Shimoga to Madikeri:

Shimoga-Bhadravathi-Tarikere-Birur-Kadur-Arasikere-Hassan-Gorur-Arkalgud-Konanur-Ramanathapura-Madikeri.

From Madikeri to Goa you can again take the same route in reverse order till Shimoga:
Hi Parag & Ampere,

First of all thank you so much for you inputs.

Should I finalise the following three routes?

Pune to Shimoga : http://goo.gl/maps/3wcDb

Shimoga to Coorg : http://goo.gl/maps/5vI8L

Coorg to Goa : http://goo.gl/maps/fNfKT

Amogh
Old 26th February 2013, 18:10   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
+

Hi Parag & Ampere,

First of all thank you so much for you inputs.

Should I finalise the following three routes?

Pune to Shimoga : http://goo.gl/maps/3wcDb

Shimoga to Coorg : http://goo.gl/maps/5vI8L

Coorg to Goa : http://goo.gl/maps/fNfKT

Amogh
Hi Amogh,

Pune-Shimoga - Good

Shimoga-Coorg Please take the following route only:

http://goo.gl/maps/W7P0h

Coorg-Goa - Good considering the fact that the route opted is in good condition and faster when you compare the one via Mangalore or by the coastal route.

The reason I am suggesting the particular route from Shimoga-Coorg is due to the fact that in the road you have mentioned, Hassan-Arasikere-Ramnathapura road leading to Coorg is in bad shape.

The one via Belur-Ballupet is not great but the latest conditions mention that only a part of the route is bad (read my earlier responses on this thread itself)

Last edited by paragsachania : 26th February 2013 at 18:24.
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th February 2013, 18:19   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Amogh,

Pune-Shimoga - Good

Shimoga-Coorg Please take the following route only:

http://goo.gl/maps/fNfKT
Thanks again Parag!

Something is amiss. I guess you have posted the link from Coorg to Goa (The same route that I had posted)

Can you please post the link again?

Amogh
Old 26th February 2013, 18:26   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks again Parag!

Something is amiss. I guess you have posted the link from Coorg to Goa (The same route that I had posted)

Can you please post the link again?

Amogh
Oh yes, I think I had too many Googlemaps windows open side by side that I managed to pick up the wrong link and pasted. I have edited the same in my earlier response.

Otherwise, This here is the detailed route with way-points:

http://goo.gl/maps/W7P0h

Quote:

In the above route, 6 kms between Bage and Belagodu is non asphalted road with stones and pebbles leveled offering a not so bad drive.

Again, near Magilu after Ballupet, 3 kms route is bad.

Apart from this, the route all the way till Madikeri is in good shape.
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th February 2013, 13:56   #14
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Thanks again Parag!
Quote:
Oh yes, I think I had too many Googlemaps windows open side by side that I managed to pick up the wrong link and pasted. I have edited the same in my earlier response.
Check this update guys!
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ml#post3051824

Now it makes sense to go via Hassan/Gorur/Arkalgud. The roads have improved it seems.

So it should be:
Shimoga - Arasekere - Hassan - Gorur - Arkalgud - Mallipatna - Shanivarasante - Somawarapet - Madikeri

Route Link
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th July 2014, 17:59   #15
BHPian

Hi All,

I am planning a Pune to Shimoga trip next month for a marriage,I din't see a specific route sudgesstion for pune shimoga route so posting here.

Can anyone tell me about the road condition, some places to see in between and any recomended food joints in between.
I plan to do it in 2 days while going and 1 day on returning, Also any place to visit in shimoga within a day.

Too many questions in one go??

Thanks in advance

----------------------
Where there is a will,
I want to be in it

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks