Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd September 2013, 10:27   #226

Re: Leh, Ladakh and Zanskar - The Ultimate Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Where do you start from? Bangalore? How many days Delhi-Ladakh-Delhi do you have, and what is your experience driving in the mountains. It all depends on this.
Sorry, yes i'm starting from Bangalore in my 2005 Scorpio along with 3 guys, a total of about 20 -25 days from Bangalore. I'm quite comfortable with driving in the mountains + 2 more guys with good experience in driving.
Old 3rd September 2013, 10:42   #227
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackSparrow90 View Post
Sorry, yes i'm starting from Bangalore in my 2005 Scorpio along with 3 guys, a total of about 20 -25 days from Bangalore. I'm quite comfortable with driving in the mountains + 2 more guys with good experience in driving.
In that case, here is the Ex-Delhi itenary
1. Delhi - Patnitop area(Kud etc., or stay in Patnitop itself)
2. Patnitop - Sonmarg
3. Sonmarg - Panikhar
4. Panikhar Padum
5. Padum
6. Padum - Sankoo(somewhere 50kms from Kargil)
7. Sankoo - Leh
8. Leh permits
9. Leh-Hunder-Turtuk - night stay
10. Turtuk - Hunder - enjoy the desert full day hunder
11. Hunder-Pangong via Wari La
12. Pangong - Chushul-Tsaga La- Nyoma (If you have permits for chushul, otherwise come to Leh, and then drive till chumathang and stay there)
13. Go to Hanle, stay the night there
14. Hanle to Tso moriri - Stay night
15. Tso moriri - Tso kar Sarchu
16. Sarchu - Manali
17. Manali Delhi

This will also give you buffer days.

You can choose to go to Tso moriri via Kyun Tso if you so desire. However the route is a little tough, see the maps and guides
tsk1979 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2013, 16:02   #228

Quote:
2. Patnitop - Sonmarg
3. Sonmarg - Panikhar
4. Panikhar Padum
5. Padum
7. Sankoo - Leh
8. Leh permits
12. Pangong - Chushul-Tsaga La- Nyoma (If you have permits for chushul, otherwise come to Leh, and then drive till chumathang and stay there)
16. Sarchu - Manali
17. Manali Delhi

You can choose to go to Tso moriri via Kyun Tso if you so desire. However the route is a little tough, see the maps and guides
Thanks, will i be able to do all these places if i leave on October 5th ? If we can cope with the winter chill.
Old 3rd September 2013, 16:07   #229
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackSparrow90 View Post
Thanks, will i be able to do all these places if i leave on October 5th ? If we can cope with the winter chill.
In that case some points
1. Go via Manali and come back via Padum route. In mid october, there can be unexpected heavy snowfall on Manali leh route which can close route for days. However, Srinagar Leh route is kept open till mid november with BRO working on a war footing.
2. Expect -10 at night. some nights can be -15. You have to warm up your scorpio before sleeping and cover the engine with a waterproof tarp so no air gets through. If possible, get up after 6 hours, warm car for 10 minutes, go to sleep again. Park facing a wall

So you will do
1. Delhi - Manali
2. Manali - Jispa
3. Jispa - Leh
4. Leh
5. Leh-Pangong-Hanle-Tso-moriri-Tso Kar - Leh over 5 days or so
6. Leh - Panikhar
7. Panikhar - Padum
8. Padum - Kargil
And then back.

On + side you can get some mild snowfall during your visit, and people from down south always welcome some snowfall, right
Old 3rd September 2013, 16:12   #230

Quote:
In that case some points
1. Go via Manali and come back via Padum route. In mid october, there can be unexpected heavy snowfall on Manali leh route which can close route for days. However, Srinagar Leh route is kept open till mid november with BRO working on a war footing.
2. Expect -10 at night. some nights can be -15. You have to warm up your scorpio before sleeping and cover the engine with a waterproof tarp so no air gets through. If possible, get up after 6 hours, warm car for 10 minutes, go to sleep again. Park facing a wall

So you will do
1. Delhi - Manali
2. Manali - Jispa
3. Jispa - Leh
4. Leh
5. Leh-Pangong-Hanle-Tso-moriri-Tso Kar - Leh over 5 days or so
6. Leh - Panikhar
7. Panikhar - Padum
8. Padum - Kargil
And then back.

On + side you can get some mild snowfall during your visit, and people from down south always welcome some snowfall, right
Hmmm im confused now, let me discuss with the group and see. Yup we love snowfall, wished to find it in our trip to Sonmarg during may this year but we were too late. Will try our luck this time. Thanks again.
Old 3rd September 2013, 16:18   #231
BHPian

Quote:
2. Patnitop - Sonmarg
3. Sonmarg - Panikhar
4. Panikhar Padum
5. Padum
7. Sankoo - Leh
8. Leh permits
16. Sarchu - Manali
17. Manali Delhi

Hi,

Have been through Wari-la couple of weeks back, was toughest for us but enjoyed it a lot. There is one tough river crossing, I think your vehicle will manage it, but be carefull.

Regards,

Cannon
cannon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2013, 18:55   #232
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Tanveer, would you suggest these routes in a Figo with 2 onboard? Or we should stick to coming back to Leh and then going on to the next village each time?
Old 3rd September 2013, 20:00   #233
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by shipnil View Post
Tanveer, would you suggest these routes in a Figo with 2 onboard? Or we should stick to coming back to Leh and then going on to the next village each time?
I would not recommend these routes in a car. I know a couple of people have done it, but if the road detereorates, you could be in a soup.
So best is go back to Leh.
Old 3rd September 2013, 20:06   #234
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I would not recommend these routes in a car. I know a couple of people have done it, but if the road detereorates, you could be in a soup.
So best is go back to Leh.
Thanks! From your initial posts about the routes, I had a feeling that Wari la would be difficult but was thinking Pangong Chushul Hanle would be doable in a car. But I guess even that is difficult for a car.
Old 4th September 2013, 20:51   #235
Senior - BHPian

Re: Vehicle, and list of Items

Quote:
The Tarp is to be placed such that there is no heat loss from the front grill. At night before sleeping, keep engine on for 10-15 minutes to get to atleast 50-60% of max operating temperature (temp guage at 1/4th or so).
Tanveer, I have a few questions here. Did you put the tarp over bonnet covering the front grill or inside the engine bay area between engine and radiator during the night? What should one do if the for the lower part of the engine which will be exposed to cold? And what about the cars that do not have temp gauge to reach 50% max operating temperature?
Old 4th September 2013, 21:52   #236
Team-BHP Support

I put it outside the engine bay. See this pic
Leh, Ladakh and Zanskar - The Ultimate Guide-dsc_6683_lrxl.jpg

For car without temp guage warm up engine at idle for 15 minutes, good enough
Old 5th September 2013, 09:59   #237
BHPian

Guys here are my queries:

Planning to do a Pune-Leh-Pune trip soon. Idea is to go via Srinagar and exit via Manali. It is me and my wife who are planning to do the trip. I have a Safari Dicor 2WD. Had a discussion with HVK on my upcoming trip and had some great insight to the dos and don'ts. Still remained with few queries to be cleared

1. Which are the places in and around Leh I should visit? Keep it mind that I have a 2WD vehicle. So suggestions accordingly would help.
2. What are the permits I need to procure from Leh DC office for which places
3. I am told Rohtang now requires a permit to drive through. If I am driving from Leh from which place I should get that permit for Rohtang. Is it available in Leh or some other place on the way?

Waiting for the replay eagerly
Old 5th September 2013, 10:31   #238
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeingCynical View Post
Guys here are my queries:

Planning to do a Pune-Leh-Pune trip soon. Idea is to go via Srinagar and exit via Manali. It is me and my wife who are planning to do the trip. I have a Safari Dicor 2WD. Had a discussion with HVK on my upcoming trip and had some great insight to the dos and don'ts. Still remained with few queries to be cleared

1. Which are the places in and around Leh I should visit? Keep it mind that I have a 2WD vehicle. So suggestions accordingly would help.
2. What are the permits I need to procure from Leh DC office for which places
3. I am told Rohtang now requires a permit to drive through. If I am driving from Leh from which place I should get that permit for Rohtang. Is it available in Leh or some other place on the way?

Waiting for the replay eagerly
1. Guide has all the info you need about places and routes
2. Guide has all the info you need about permits. Permits required for a particular place are in that post
3. At green tax barrier at Manali entrance you can get permit made if you are going from Manali to Leh. From Leh to Manali no permit is needed.
Old 5th September 2013, 10:45   #239
BHPian

Quote:
1. Guide has all the info you need about places and routes
2. Guide has all the info you need about permits. Permits required for a particular place are in that post
3. At green tax barrier at Manali entrance you can get permit made if you are going from Manali to Leh. From Leh to Manali no permit is needed.
Thanks Tanveer. Just started to go through the guide in detail. Will Ping back to poke you if something gets unclear to me.
Old 6th September 2013, 12:51   #240
BHPian

Dear Tanveer,

Started my trip as planned on 15 Aug but had to abort just short of indore as had to return to Bangalore because of a Medical emergency of a close relative. Plan to restart -is it advisable to go in the 1st week of October and get out of Ladakh region by the 15th??

Regards,

Jude

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks