Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd May 2006, 06:21   #1
Senior - BHPian

Cochin - New Delhi

A friend of mine is planning this drive in July this year and wanted to know the best route from two perspectives:

1. Good drive: fast, (mostly) smooth, medium-traffic-but-not-deserted highways with good towns for pitstops. Should cover the distance in 3 days flat.

2. Scenic drive: nevermind the condition of the road as long as there arent any naxalites, dacoits or bandits around - it should be scenic and 'touristy' in terms of places to visit. Condition of the road not so important, small detours are welcome as long as they are rewarded. May take upto a week.

Again the question is whether he should take the North-South Corridor or the Golden Quadrilateral. Are either of these complete, or at least close to completion?

The vehicle will be a 4WD. My Dicor might join the fun, time permitting.

Please post suggestions from your experience for either or both options. WOuld appreciate a detailed writeup from anyone who has done this trip before, with precautions to be taken (what places to avoid), suggested pitstops for both overnight stay and meal stops, recommended Ford and Tata service stations along the route.
Old 22nd May 2006, 07:54   #2
Senior - BHPian

god! what next! something I would like to do one day
Old 22nd May 2006, 08:37   #3
Team-BHP Support

This might help.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street...etic-nova.html
Old 22nd May 2006, 09:33   #4
Senior - BHPian

Hey Steer..!!!

Cochin - delhi in 3 days isn't is too fast......
Cochin - Mumbai should be through the western Ghats NH-17 the most scenic route i guess...
Mumbai- Delhi.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...ravelogue.html

For more details about the route:
http://www.mapsofindia.com/driving-d...ghway-map.html

Just curious to know if this is a one way trip.....

regards

KP
Old 22nd May 2006, 09:49   #5
Senior - BHPian

Hi Steer,

Dunno about Cochin Delhi, but have done mumbai Delhi a couple of time myself.

the GQ is 95 % complete between Mumbai and Delhi, but gotta be a little careful between Ahemadabad and Surat. Once into Rajasthan, the drive is a dream and if ur friend has REALLY got stamina for driving, u could do the Rajasthan -Delhi leg in one day.

My advice is to stick to the GQ.

P.S. Remember reading atravellouge on the net from Cochin to Mumbai.

here is the link
www.amarjyoti.com/displayarticle12.html

hope this helps
Old 28th May 2006, 20:22   #6
Senior - BHPian

Cochin - Delhi

Hai there,

I am giving a link below which will give you an idea of trip I did from Ahmedabad to Kerala last year. If you want scenary the best bet is to catach NH 17 through Paraur, Kodungallur, Calicut, Mangalore, Goa and Mumbai. You can follow my logs from Calicut to Ahmedabad and from there you can catch the GQ to Udaipur, Chitorgurh, Bhilwara, Jaipur and Delhi. If you want more details, PM me, I can give you lots of links which will give you blow-by-blow guidelines.

I envy you, what you are plannign is one great ride; some suggestions. If you are 2 drivers then here's what I would do: Cochin to Udipi one day, Udipi to Mumbai one day, Mumbai to Udaipur one day and Udaipur to Mumbai one day. It also depends on the car and how enthusiastic one is about driving; if you can stretch it, you can do it in 3 days. I know of people who have done it in 3 days in an Amby way back in 1991.

http://www.geocities.com/ramkya1/triplogramkyweb.htm

Hope this helps,

--Ramky.
=======

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks