Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th July 2013, 09:37   #1
Senior - BHPian

Bangalore to Thekkady : Route Queries

Dear friends,
Did not find a thread specifically for this route as the ones available were via Munnar, via Madurai etc.
I'm planning Bangalore - Thekkady (Club Mahindra) - Bangalore starting Aug 15 and return on Aug 18. I'm planning Bangalore - Salem - Karur - Dindigul - Theni - Cumbum - Thekkady. The car is a BMW X1 (read no spare wheel). I was more interested in knowing about the road condition specifically from Theni to Thekkady. Inputs and recent feedbacks will be very much appreciated.
Old 29th July 2013, 13:01   #2

re: Bangalore to Thekkady : Route Queries

Hi Dinu,
I drove to Thekkaddy from Bangalore during 2nd weekend of July. The roads(non-toll) were very good and looked like newly laid. There were few patched of average roads where bridge constructions were happening. There are some minor traffic spots like Theni town and Cumbum. The hill roads are also similar with the road edges being filled with concrete to broaden them. Overall it was a pleasant experience to drive to Thekkady for me.

The following images should justify my words . These pictures are taken few kilometers from the foot hills. The road condition should be similar for at-least 90% of your drive from Dindugal to Thekkady. Have a good trip.

Bangalore to Thekkady : Route Queries-img_4283-small.jpg

Bangalore to Thekkady : Route Queries-img_4300-small.jpg
gnashokkumar is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th July 2013, 20:11   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinu2506 View Post
Dear friends,
Did not find a thread specifically for this route as the ones available were via Munnar, via Madurai etc.
I'm planning Bangalore - Thekkady (Club Mahindra) - Bangalore starting Aug 15 and return on Aug 18. I'm planning Bangalore - Salem - Karur - Dindigul - Theni - Cumbum - Thekkady. The car is a BMW X1 (read no spare wheel). I was more interested in knowing about the road condition specifically from Theni to Thekkady. Inputs and recent feedbacks will be very much appreciated.
I had been on the route in May for my drive toKumarakom in my Civvy. It took us 8 hours to reach Kumarakom and around 6.5 hrs to reach Kumily Thekkady junction.

Banaglore Dindigul took us around 5 hours, 4 lane roads. Bangalore Krishnagir is getting 6 laned, a bit of deviations here there. Dindigul-Theni-Kumily is two lane, but mostly good. Took us 1.5 hours. The Kumily ghats was looking nice with new concrete layer.

We drove through the night, Start was at 00:00 hours from Bangalore.
laluks is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th August 2013, 20:46   #4
Senior - BHPian

Read in the news about heavy rains and landslides in Idukki district. Any advice on whether I should cancel this trip. Called up Club Mahindra and they said its OK from bangalore side, seems the issues are in the Kottayam Thekkady route
Old 5th August 2013, 22:01   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Read in the news about heavy rains and landslides in Idukki district. Any advice on whether I should cancel this trip. Called up Club Mahindra and they said its OK from bangalore side, seems the issues are in the Kottayam Thekkady route
Yes for the moment its nonstop rains and landslides all over.Govt of Kerala has issued an advisory which states people to avoid travelling to the hills in Kerala.The Udumulpet-Munnar road is closed and so is the Kochi-Munnar.The only access if at all would be from Theni side which is why Mahindra said its ok to come from Bangalore.
Old 10th October 2013, 13:12   #6
BHPian

Just came back from Thekkady last week. Dindigul via Theni road is fine but have some bad patches here and there but mostly OK. Since this road passes thru small towns you need to slow down at places. Started at 10.30 am from thekkady and it took almost 3 hours to reach Dindigul.
pgupta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th January 2014, 17:32   #7

Quote:
Hi Dinu, i am going to CM thekkady on 31st of Jan. Any advises?
Old 28th January 2014, 01:49   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanthams View Post

Quote:
No rains at this time of the year. So there shouldn't be any landslide issues on either side of Thekkady.

Take the Salem-Dindigul-Theni-Cumbum-Kumily route. From last reports the roads are in good condition except a few diversions due to ongoing roadwork between Dindigul and Theni.
Old 29th January 2014, 13:07   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanthams View Post
Came back from Thekkady just yesterday. The roads are good in the Dindigul - Theni stretch. The quality of roads start deteriorating from Chinnamanur onwards and goes from bad to worse along Uthampalayam and Cumbum and good roads are only in patches.

After Cumbum, you'll cross Gudalur (horrible roads inside the town) after which is the best road of the whole stretch. From Gudalur to Thekkady ghats, the road is arrow straight, perfectly tarred and there's hardly any traffic. The small ghat road to Thekkady is in perfect condition and in and around Kumily, the roads are newly laid and absolutely perfect. The main roads leading to tourist destinations around Thekkady are a driver's delight.
Old 25th February 2014, 17:57   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftdiesel View Post
Came back from Thekkady just yesterday. The roads are good in the Dindigul - Theni stretch. The quality of roads start deteriorating from Chinnamanur onwards and goes from bad to worse along Uthampalayam and Cumbum and good roads are only in patches.

After Cumbum, you'll cross Gudalur (horrible roads inside the town) after which is the best road of the whole stretch. From Gudalur to Thekkady ghats, the road is arrow straight, perfectly tarred and there's hardly any traffic. The small ghat road to Thekkady is in perfect condition and in and around Kumily, the roads are newly laid and absolutely perfect. The main roads leading to tourist destinations around Thekkady are a driver's delight.
I had been to Thekkady in May 2013. Experimented with alternate routes till Dindigul. I went via Hosur, Kelamangalam, Rayakottai, Palacode by pass, Thoppur, Omalur, Sankagiri, Tiruchengode, Paramathi, Karur, Palayam and Dindigul.
Good roads all the way. Will share the travelogue soon.
Old 15th September 2014, 20:10   #11
Senior - BHPian

Friends, I will be driving from Bangalore to Thekkady alongwith my friend in his Ertiga, in the 1st week of October.

Any updates on alternate routes, road conditions ?
Old 16th September 2014, 09:28   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooza View Post
Friends, I will be driving from Bangalore to Thekkady alongwith my friend in his Ertiga, in the 1st week of October.

Any updates on alternate routes, road conditions ?
Till Dindigul, you can experiment with routes. I did the same when i went to Thekkady. here is the route that i took

Via Hosur, Kelamangalam, Rayakottai, Palacode by pass, Thoppur, Omalur, Tharamangalam, Sankagiri, Tiruchengode, Paramathi, Velur, Karur, Palayam and Dindigul.
You can avoid all tolls in this section except Thoppur.
Hope this helps.
suresh_gs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th December 2014, 11:12   #13
BHPian

Hi Friends,
I am planning to drive to Mavelikkara from E City this X'Mas. If possible can someone elaborate on the road conditions on this route? I plan to go till Salem then deviate to Namakkal - Karur - Dindigul - Theni - Cumbum - Mavelikkara. I see some green markings on Google maps. Am wondering if there is a night shutdown in these areas. I plan to tank up from E City (i20 CRDi) and start my journey at 5 am. Any input would be appreciated.
Old 15th December 2014, 11:46   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphahere View Post
Hi Friends,
I am planning to drive to Mavelikkara from E City this X'Mas. If possible can someone elaborate on the road conditions on this route? I plan to go till Salem then deviate to Namakkal - Karur - Dindigul - Theni - Cumbum - Mavelikkara. I see some green markings on Google maps. Am wondering if there is a night shutdown in these areas. I plan to tank up from E City (i20 CRDi) and start my journey at 5 am. Any input would be appreciated.
I travelled on this route a few days ago. Road conditions are generally excellent with a few rough patches (short ones) between Dindigul and Cumbum. Roads within the small towns (Batlagundu, Periyakulam, Theni, Chinnamanur, Cumbum etc) are generally broken and it takes a while crossing them since the traffic is high during the day (Sabarimala traffic mostly). The road quality within Kerala is much better, but may again be slow because of traffic (and it is difficult to overtake in those curvy roads even otherwise).

I went to Kottayam - you would need to divert from Vazhoor towards Changanacherry in order to go to Mavelikkara - Don't have much of an idea about roads in those sectors.
kala is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th December 2014, 12:32   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kala View Post
I travelled on this route a few days ago. Road conditions are generally excellent with a few rough patches (short ones) between Dindigul and Cumbum. Roads within the small towns (Batlagundu, Periyakulam, Theni, Chinnamanur, Cumbum etc) are generally broken and it takes a while crossing them since the traffic is high during the day (Sabarimala traffic mostly). The road quality within Kerala is much better, but may again be slow because of traffic (and it is difficult to overtake in those curvy roads even otherwise).

I went to Kottayam - you would need to divert from Vazhoor towards Changanacherry in order to go to Mavelikkara - Don't have much of an idea about roads in those sectors.
Thats useful information. Thanks a lot! Kerala road conditions are not a matter for me as long as I reach Kerala.Will post an update as soon as I'm done with my travel.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks