Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th February 2014, 15:31   #16
BHPian

Re: Ahmedabad-Indore-Nagpur-Gopalpur (Odisha)

About Ahemdabad to Indore

First of all avoid NH 59 the moment you are to enter MP. Its one of the worst roads in the world as it is under construction.

Secondly from the route suggested below do not go directly from Meghnagar to Petlawad (though shorter it goes through extreme wild wild territory). Go first to Thandla and then to Petlawad.

Take either of the following Route
(a) the Super Highway
Ahemdabad-Nadiad (via Expressway)- Godhara -Dahod - Meghnagar - Thandla - Petlawad - Badnagar via Badnawar choukdi - Ujjain - Indore

(b) Ahemdabad - Balasinor (via NH 59) - Dahod - Meghnagar - Thandla - Badnawar Choukdi - Badnagar - Ujjain - Indore.

(c) If you are a bit adventurous and are traveling during the day .
Ahemdabad - Balasinor (via NH 59) - Godhara - Limkheda - Limdi - Thandla - Badnawar Choukdi - Badnagar - Ujjain - Indore.
This route is extreme bad from MP border to thandla (approx 7-10 kms) but saves time and kms. Not advisable if you want to travel in the night.

PITSTOP

Only one Dhabha two kms after petlawad is suggested , while coming from AHM to IDR.

About Indore to Nagpur

Best road, If you are the adventorous kind,
Indore - Khandwa - Dharni - Paratwada - Amrawati - Nagpur

60 Kms of Ghat with not more than 30 vehicles crossing you between Dharni and Paratwada. Advisable at Day. Can be done in Convoy at night as it passes through a reserve and Chikaldhara Hill Station.
bhavtol is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th February 2014, 21:45   #17
BHPian

What a timely thread. I am planning for a trip to Calcutta coming April via Nagpur. Wish to know the latest condition of roads between Nagpur and Sambalpur and the time it usually takes to complete this stretch. The route would be,

Navi Mumbai-Chakan-Nagar-Aurangabad-Jalna-Mehekar-Karanja-Amravati-Nagpur-Raipur-Sambalpur-Cuttak-Balasore-Khargpur-Calcutta.

Day1. Navi Mumbai-Nagpur
Day2. Nagpur-Balasore
Day3. Balasore- Calcutta.

By any chance can the journey be completed on day 2 by taking a halt between Nagpur and Raipur. Request fellow BHPian's for their valuable input.
Old 1st March 2014, 14:57   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravi Yadav View Post
Wish to know the latest condition of roads between Nagpur and Sambalpur and the time it usually takes to complete this stretch.

By any chance can the journey be completed on day 2 by taking a halt between Nagpur and Raipur. Request fellow BHPian's for their valuable input.

If only you had gone through the previous posts, you would have found the answer to your question (in bold) in post #11. If you want further details or any specific point, would be glad to help.

Theoritically possible, but it totally depends on you.
Either you stop at Nagpur or you stop at Bhilai/Raipur, there is no other decent stay options in between. Bhilai to Kolkata (via NH42) can be done in approx 18/19 hours with break.
Sommos is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st March 2014, 19:41   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sommos View Post
If only you had gone through the previous posts, you would have found the answer to your question (in bold) in post #11. If you want further details or any specific point, would be glad to help.

Theoritically possible, but it totally depends on you.
Either you stop at Nagpur or you stop at Bhilai/Raipur, there is no other decent stay options in between. Bhilai to Kolkata (via NH42) can be done in approx 18/19 hours with break.
Thanks for the update Sommos. I read your previous post mentioning 9 hrs to cover the stretch but if the road conditions are good/great i assume it can be covered in much lesser duration.

Road conditions matter a lot to me, since i have a year old daughter traveling with me. Can you suggest me some good budget hotels in Bhilai and Raipur that have parking space.
Old 1st March 2014, 22:01   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhavtol View Post
Best road, If you are the adventorous kind,
Indore - Khandwa - Dharni - Paratwada - Amrawati - Nagpur
Thanks a ton. Exactly the kind of details I was looking for.

Can you tell me what exactly you mean by adventurous kind? Have been hearing a lot here. If you mean visiting new places and exploring then yes! If you mean risk taking then I would say limited especially family being with me.

Any details of Sambalpur to Gopalpur road? Present status and security situation on the stretch would be most welcome!
Old 3rd March 2014, 10:49   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravi Yadav View Post
Thanks for the update Sommos. I read your previous post mentioning 9 hrs to cover the stretch but if the road conditions are good/great i assume it can be covered in much lesser duration.

Road conditions matter a lot to me, since i have a year old daughter traveling with me. Can you suggest me some good budget hotels in Bhilai and Raipur that have parking space.
You must first decide your night halts before searching for hotels.
Since you have a little kid and also considering the +45 degree temperature in this part during April you need to be very realistic in your planning. The distance between Mumbai & Nagpur via Aurangabad is around 850KM and I don't think you can cover more than that in day 1. Also roads around Aurangabad are not in very good condition. Ideally your first stop should be at Amravati or Nagpur.

If you stop at any of the above places then you need not stop at Bhilai/Raipur. Your next stop should be at Sambalpur. Nagpur-Bhandara (65 KM) four lane conversion is going on and there are several diversions and unbuild patches. Otherwise, the road upto Arang is four laned. From Arang to Lahurachati (i.e. CG-OR border) 150 KM the road is traditional single road with some bad patches. You may face congestion at the border crossing and you'll face heavy traffic between Bhilai & Raipur and from Bargarh to Sambalpur, since the NH passes through the city in these areas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaureanBull View Post

Can you tell me what exactly you mean by adventurous kind? Have been hearing a lot here. If you mean visiting new places and exploring then yes! If you mean risk taking then I would say limited especially family being with me.

Any details of Sambalpur to Gopalpur road? Present status and security situation on the stretch would be most welcome!
I thought you had already decided for the alternate route.
If you would like to move through NH42 upto Manguli Chowk, it is good traditional highway. But you'll face heavy traffic around Angul because of all the mining activities around Talcher & Angul. Use the Dhenkanal bypass and avoid entering the city. Rest is GQ, so it can't be any better.
Sommos is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2014, 11:44   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sommos View Post
I thought you had already decided for the alternate route.
If you would like to move through NH42 upto Manguli Chowk, it is good traditional highway. But you'll face heavy traffic around Angul because of all the mining activities around Talcher & Angul. Use the Dhenkanal bypass and avoid entering the city. Rest is GQ, so it can't be any better.
Thanks a lot.

If you read my first post, this option is actually the best option being the shortest one. I had apprehensions of security and road conditions. As I am getting updates from you and other fellow members, it turns out that this route is reasonably good to be kept as an option.

Anyways, I am flexible and try to keep my options open till the end. So, whatever works out best, I will follow that. However, dont intend to travel more than 400kms a day. Anything upto 300km is much better.

Day 1 : Indore
Day 2 : Amravati/Nagpur
Day 3 : Raipur
Day 4 : Sambalpur
Day 5 : Gopalpur

This is the general thinking. May be you can help and modify. Diversions to visit additional places would be welcome. Accommodations options in Amravati, Raipur and Sambalpur would be welcome.
Old 3rd March 2014, 13:03   #23
Senior - BHPian

Replying to the OP - not sure if it's too late - I think the Hyd Route is the best - It might burn a bit more fuel, but would not take more time, and would be much more relaxed as you've got multi lane highways. I believe the others are double lane routes for a good part,
greenhorn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2014, 14:07   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks a lot.

If you read my first post, this option is actually the best option being the shortest one. I had apprehensions of security and road conditions. As I am getting updates from you and other fellow members, it turns out that this route is reasonably good to be kept as an option.
It is nice to know that you're still interested in this route.
This route is generally avoided by most members in favour of the safe route through Hyderabad-Vizaq when travelling from west to the east or viceversa. But let me assure you there are no security concern on this route as off now.

In one of my earlier post to Puri, member Julupani had pointed out the following :
Quote:
The above route helps you avoid reasonably heavy traffic between Angul and Manguli Chowk, and the very heavy traffic from Manguli Chowk till outskirts of Bhubaneswar. You will also avoid any serious traffic at a major border crossing.

You can take any route to reach Balangir from Raipur and take NH224(NH57) till Khurda. From Khurda, you can directly go to Pipili, bypassing the entire Bhubaneswar city. NH224(NH57) is a newly constructed National highway which is in superb shape and has far less traffic than the NH42(NH55). You will barely ever find a truck on this highway. I have driven the 320km distance between Bhubaneswar and Balangir in 5 hours. It is also quite a good deal more picturesque. Most state highways and MDR's in Odisha state are actually in very good condition, except those in the southern districts.
I have not travelled on this route but hope you can evaluate this as an option too.

Stay options at Amravati : Hotel Gauri Inn, Rahatgaon, Amravati. This hotel is right on the highway where the bypass has bifurcated.
At Sambalpur : Hotel Sheela Towers or Hotel Kaveri (near bus stand just on the highway).
At Raipur : There are several hotels on both side of the airport road like Babylon International, VW Canyon, Tulip, GT Star etc. In case you don't have a problem with entering the city then go for Babylon Inn.
Sommos is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th March 2014, 15:54   #25
BHPian

Quote:

Part I : Indore to Khandwa

Scenic two lane roads with TONS of speed breakers with Ghat. Heavy Truck Traffic but excellent road surface and 24 hrs motorable.

Part II : Khandwa to Paratwada

Scenic Road with a 60 Kms Ghat. A Ghat that brings out the best in a driver as it all LEFT-RIGHT-LEFT-RIGHT. I have actually been told by atleast 2 drivers at the end of the ghat that they want to go back and do the 60 Kms again . It passes through a Dense forest Wild life Reserve. During the day you get good vehicular traffic but at night it gets lonely. All the Sleeper/Commuter buses take this route and pass through Night from this jungle and i have traveled atleast twice in the night. The Best Comparison is the Amboli Ghat (from Amboli, MH to Sawantwadi, Goa) . Its the same more or less.

Part III : Paratwada to Amravati to Nagpur

No nonsense Road with AMR-NGP being excellent 4 lane road .
Old 19th March 2014, 22:46   #26
Senior - BHPian

Ok folks! Finally decided on the following route after lots of deliberation. Plan has been postponed by a week though so would start by month end.

Day 1 : Jamnagar-Vadodara
Day 2 : Vadodara-Pune
Day 3 : Pune
Day 4 : Pune-Hyderabad (NH-9)
Day 5 : Hyderabad
Day 6 : Hyderabad-Vijaywada
Day 7 : Vijaywada-Vizag
Day 8 : Vizag-Gopalpur

The above itinerary is based on the convenience of halts/relatives and not the vehicle performance. I may consider covering Hyderabad-Vizag in one day if anyone can confirm that its doable.

Will update on the tour in second week of april. May not get time for live update.
Old 30th March 2014, 13:54   #27
Senior - BHPian

Ok folks!
All set to move from Jamnagar to Vadodara tomorrow. Next day would cover from Vadodara to Pune.

1. Whats the best route from Jamnagar to Vadodara? Via Borsad or Nadiad?
2. Whats the good halt locations enroute?
3. Where to exit NH-8 for pune expressway?
4. Suggestions for halt enroute to Pune from Vadodara.
Old 31st March 2014, 13:29   #28
Senior - BHPian

Best of luck for the journey and drive safe.

Please do post the details once you complete the journey.
Old 31st March 2014, 16:20   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Ok folks!
All set to move from Jamnagar to Vadodara tomorrow. Next day would cover from Vadodara to Pune.

1. Whats the best route from Jamnagar to Vadodara? Via Borsad or Nadiad?
2. Whats the good halt locations enroute?
3. Where to exit NH-8 for pune expressway?
4. Suggestions for halt enroute to Pune from Vadodara.
Maybe too late for you, but anyway, here are a few suggestions

1. Suggest go all the way to Ahmedabad, take the Sardar Patel Ring Road and then connect to the Ahmedabad Vadodara Expressway. Bagodra - Vataman - Borsad is being done up and there are innumerable diversions.

2. Highway Food Mall just before Limbdi is an excellent place to stop. Other options are two Honests one after Rajkot and another one after Limbdi.

3. Turn left at Ghodbunder from NH 8. Ghodbunder - Thane - Mulund - Airoli - Turbhe - Belapur and then onto the Pune Expressway is the best route, as advised by HVK, which I meticulously followed to my advantage !

4. There are plenty of food stops on NH8 from Vadodara. McD at Empress Mall at Vapi, Fortune Hotel, again at Vapi, Fountain at Ghodbunder and the two food stops on the Mumbai Pune Expressway, may be worthwhile.

Safe journey.

Last edited by Secretariat : 31st March 2014 at 16:22.
Secretariat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2014, 23:13   #30
Senior - BHPian

Hi folks!
Thanks a lot for the inputs.
Travelled Jamnagar to Vadodara yesterday, total 387 kms with several halts. Time taken -9hrs (due to halts and visit to Swami Narayan temple).
Today covered Vadodara-Pune, total of 600kms in 14 hrs.
Will post details later.

Any updates on pune-hyderabad road? I plan to cover in one single day.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks