Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th April 2014, 12:08   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

Bangalore - Madhugiri - Jayamangali Black Buck reserve

Planning to drive down to Madhugiri fort tomorrow morning and also try and visit the Jayamangali Blackbuck Reserve nearby. While the route from Bangalore to Madhugiri is straight forward, I am little confused about the road from Madhugiri to Jayamangali.

Google maps shows that the road from Madhugriri > Obalapura > Jayamangali (kodigenahalli main road) is broken before Obalapura and hence need to back track quiet a bit SH148 and then take the turn to the reserve.

Anyone here with updates on road conditions?
Old 4th April 2014, 13:07   #2
Team-BHP Support

Re: Bangalore - Madhugiri - Jayamangali Black Buck reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by procrj View Post
Anyone here with updates on road conditions?
- First I wont advice the sanctuary. Its extremely hot and the place has no cover. Only grasslands.
- Also there is nothing to eat there too. You have to carry your own food and water.
- And yy the time you are done with Madhugiri fort it would be past 9/10AM. Beyond which its quite hot in that region.

- As far as the route is concerned : Beyond Madhugiri, I dont think you need to take the Kodigenahalli main road.
- I am not sure on this. I had been there some 8 years back. You need to drive quite some distance the Gauribidanur road (NH234 now).
- I think attached link is the route we took.
- Please confirm with others once again.

But to summarise I would say no point going there. Instead try some thing closer (DD Hills or Channarayanadurga or Madhurgiri etc), such that you are done by 10AM and are able to drive back before the heat becomes unbearable. And last but not least, if you still decide to go, you should ask for Maidanahalli. Thats the place the Wild Life Sanctuary is also known by.

Last edited by ampere : 4th April 2014 at 13:09.
ampere is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th April 2014, 21:35   #3
Senior - BHPian

Not just that, I believe it's pretty easy to lose one's way as there are no proper tracks to follow and it's complete wilderness without any shade or people to even ask for directions.
Old 4th April 2014, 22:18   #4
Team-BHP Support

+1. In fact the last 2-3 km are dirt tracks off the main road. When I went, we could easily cover this in an i20. But still one can lose way.
Old 6th April 2014, 07:35   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Decided not to go to the black buck sanctuary as I did not get sufficient info on road to take & road conditions but did drive down to Madhugiri yesterday.

Route: Yelahanka > Dodballapur > Gowribidanur > Madhugiri
Started from Hebbal at 3.15 am and beautiful roads all the way except for a 4-5 km bad stretch (around 22 km from Gowribidanur, after the fork in the road). Reached the fort gate at 5 am and started climbing at 5.15 am. By the time we got back it was almost 9 am and very hot. Some pics

Dawn Lights
Bangalore - Madhugiri - Jayamangali Black Buck reserve-2_bhp.jpg

dark stones and light skies
Bangalore - Madhugiri - Jayamangali Black Buck reserve-5.jpg

Taking guard
Bangalore - Madhugiri - Jayamangali Black Buck reserve-10_bhp.jpg

Homes & Hill Fort
Bangalore - Madhugiri - Jayamangali Black Buck reserve-38_bhp.jpg

Single file journey
Bangalore - Madhugiri - Jayamangali Black Buck reserve-46_bhp.jpg

Lonely Hillbilly
Bangalore - Madhugiri - Jayamangali Black Buck reserve-68_bhp.jpg
procrj is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 6th April 2014, 07:50   #6
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
A good option.

Quote:
Started from Hebbal at 3.15 am and beautiful roads all the way except for a 4-5 km bad stretch (around 22 km from Gowribidanur, after the fork in the road). Reached the fort gate at 5 am and started climbing at 5.15 am. By the time we got back it was almost 9 am and very hot.
Thats exactly what I mentioned. A 3AM start would lead you to the fort by just in time for the sunrise. And its actually good that such places are aplenty around Bangalore which maketh our weekend!
Old 6th April 2014, 09:33   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
And its actually good that such places are aplenty around Bangalore which maketh our weekend!
Amen to that. Now planning the next trip
Old 17th December 2014, 15:12   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Started from Hebbal at 3.15 am and beautiful roads all the way except for a 4-5 km bad stretch (around 22 km from Gowribidanur, after the fork in the road).
Procrj, any descent food options you saw near Madhugiri? Also, hope there are no issues in finding parking spot.

I am planning a Madhugiri + Jayamangali trip sometime in a months time. As mentioned by you since Dodballapur - Gowribidanur route is in better condition thinking of taking it instead of Tumkur one.

Regarding, blackbuck resort saw a informative route guide online. It mentions the Tumkur route, however from Madhugiri you need to come towards Gowrididanur route. Hence guess it makes better sense taking this route.

This is the blog I came across, though written long back it is updated with latest road conditions.
Old 17th December 2014, 18:30   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post
Procrj, any descent food options you saw near Madhugiri? Also, hope there are no issues in finding parking spot.
Parking is not a problem. As soon as you enter the fort gate, you need to drive 100 meters and park. There are a couple of small food stalls right outside the fort entrance. We ate tatte idli there and it was delicious. They are not extremely clean but a lot of locals were seen eating here and hence decided to risk it.

It can get very lonely as you climb up so make sure you carry enough water, some energy bars (the climb gets steeper as you climb higher) and wear good footwear.

Quote:
As mentioned by you since Dodballapur - Gowribidanur route is in better condition thinking of taking it instead of Tumkur one
The roads were very good except for a small stretch of 4-5 km which was under repair.

Quote:
Regarding, blackbuck resort saw a informative route guide online. It mentions the Tumkur route, however from Madhugiri you need to come towards Gowrididanur route. Hence guess it makes better sense taking this route
Do make sure that you have enough time to drive back to the main road before sunset. A friend of mine who had visited there about a year ago mentioned that in some stretches the road is nothing but a dirt track and you can easily get lost in the dark.
procrj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th January 2015, 23:12   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks Procrj.
Visited Madhugiri and Jayamangali last Saturday. Took Hebbal - Chikkabelapur- Gauribidanur - Madhugiri route.

Road work is going on for ~4 KMS before Madhugiri, which is a pain in otherwise pleasant drive.

For Jayamangali took Madhugiri - Palyadahalli - Puruvara - Left turn - Girigodanahalli. Roads again are patchy, but doable.
Old 6th January 2015, 23:40   #11
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post
Thanks Procrj.
Visited Madhugiri and Jayamangali last Saturday. Took Hebbal - Chikkabelapur- Gauribidanur - Madhugiri route.
Since it was a pleasure drive, I would have suggested you go via Dobbaspet. Simply because the country roads through the early morning make it a fun experience.
Old 7th January 2015, 00:07   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Since it was a pleasure drive, I would have suggested you go via Dobbaspet. Simply because the country roads through the early morning make it a fun experience.
Yes Ampere, I saw many blogs with that route suggested. However it seems that road is getting widened / repaired. Hence it was suggested against taking the same.

Gauribidanur route was supposed to be a good alternative, however it seems few KM's are under repair here too.
Old 29th June 2016, 08:29   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

Hi guys, what are the latest updates to the roads/routes to the reserve? Thinking of heading down there for a morning. The weather right now is just brilliant.
Old 30th June 2016, 04:59   #14
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
A good option.

Thats exactly what I mentioned. A 3AM start would lead you to the fort by just in time for the sunrise. And its actually good that such places are aplenty around Bangalore which maketh our weekend!
Amp
Let me know if you want to do something of this kind this weekend. Im game.
Either your Duster or my Yeti. Can do this either Sat or Sun.

Just a nice drive and climb.
Old 2nd July 2016, 21:21   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
Hi guys, what are the latest updates to the roads/routes to the reserve? Thinking of heading down there for a morning. The weather right now is just brilliant.
The route via doddaballapur is mayhem. Way too many diversions and the road isn't done yet. AVOID.

Instead go via nelamangala and dabaspete and reach madhugiri and Onward to jayamangali.

I missed the jayamangali turn off. Has to be another time. I have to leave ultra early... Left only by 6.30 from home which is just way too late. A 4.30 am start is perfect.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks