Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th May 2014, 18:05   #1
BHPian

Bangalore –> Wayanad –> Munnar –> Kodaikanal –> Pondicherry route

A kind note to Mods – I am starting this thread so that all information is available at one place. However, that also means this thread may be useful to only those folks planning the same route in future. If that is not allowed, please merge it with an existing thread you deem suitable. If that cannot be done, please remove this thread from the forum and I shall put forth my queries in individual “Route Query” threads and gather the information from there.

Hi,

The purpose of starting this thread is to gather information about an upcoming trip in August this year.

The proposed round trip is Bangalore – Wayanad – Munnar – Kodaikanal – Pondicherry – Vellore (Golden Temple) - Bangalore

We plan to stay for 2 nights at each place, except Vellore, which will be covered on the Pondicherry – Bangalore route, with a stop-over for about 2 hours.

There will be 5 occupants, including my parents, aged 63 and 57 respectively.

The trip will be conducted in a NISSAN SUNNY.

As you may have already noticed, the trip falls in monsoon, and almost all destinations are known to receive quite a substantial amount of rainfall. I am expecting rainfall while being stationed at either of the places, and also during our transit from one place to another.

Among the places mentioned above, I am familiar only with the Bangalore – Pondicherry – Bangalore route.

a) My Dad is a retired Banker and still has rights to stay in his Bank’s Holiday home (only him and Mom, since children are no longer considered dependent) available at any of the places above.

b) My sister too works in a Bank, and she is eligible for a stay in her Bank’s Holiday Home as well.

Why I mentioned the 2 points above? Because almost all Bank’s Holiday Homes of late have shifted to hotels. However, if the facilities on offer at these places are not up to the mark (which I will be checking in a couple of days upon receiving the hotel names) we will surely prefer a different place.

I have the latest information on Kodaikanal stay here –

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ml#post3406646

Having said that, members who visited recently, or planning to visit in June July may please share their inputs as well.

Since it’s going to be the rainy season, I can understand that the road condition may change suddenly, especially in ghat sections.

As of now, I am requesting inputs on the following –

1) All-season route from Bangalore to Wayanad, Wayanad to Munnar, Munnar to Kodaikanal and Kodaikanal to Pondicherry.

2) Tried and tested family hotels / resorts at Wayanad and Munnar (approx.. 2500/- per night per couple)

3) If we take a brunch break at Dasaprakash in Mysore, are more breaks advisable before reaching Wayanad? For bio-breaks, do we have Forest Department reception on the way to Wayanad like the one in Bandipur?

4) Are 12 days enough to complete this trip, with the Start and End dates being August 15 and 26 respectively (tentative dates, Bangalore to Bangalore)?

5) I can say we are quite foodie, so any must visit Vegetarian joints at these places?

6) I plan to source an Electric Automatic Car Jack, since there may be surprises. Is it advisable and worth the moolah?
http://www.homeshop18.com/electric-a...9845/cid:3209/
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...tric-jack.html

7) Car will be fully loaded, 5 adults and accompanying luggage. The Bridgestone radial tires (185 / 65/ R15) that came factory-fitted, would have done approximately 18500 kms when the trip begins. Any special instructions for the tires, apart from the regular bulge, crack, etc. check?

8) Is it recommended to carry extra fuses? I know this is not a trip to Leh / Ladakh, but then every trip is a trip in itself. If I need to procure extra fuses, is the NISSAN AUTHORISED WORKSHOP the best place to procure them?

9) I will be carrying the Emergency Triangle used during breakdowns, 2 powerful LED torches, the regular kit that comes along with the car, etc. Anything important that needs to be added here? I don’t have it, but is it advisable to procure a seat-belt cutter, glass hammer combo?

10) Certified fuel-stations on these routes? Where to refuel during the journey to avoid surprises?

That's all that comes to mind as of now.

Please pitch in with your experiences. Thank you!

P.S. the space between "a" and "n" in the title refuses to budge!!

The route -

Bangalore –> Wayanad –> Munnar –> Kodaikanal –> Pondicherry route-aug-route.jpg

Last edited by Safety is Param : 7th May 2014 at 18:20.
Old 7th May 2014, 22:04   #2
Team-BHP Support

re: Bangalore –> Wayanad –> Munnar –> Kodaikanal –> Pondicherry route

Comments on Routes:

Bangalore - Waynad: Depends on where you stay?
- North Waynad (like Kutta) you can reach via Mysore/HD Kote as well.
- Kalpetta/Bathery : Go via Kanakpura-Chamarajanagar/Gundlupet

Waynad-Munnar : (Either via KL or TN)
KL Option:
Thamarassery-Mukkam-Perinthalmanna-Shornur-Trichur-Angamaly-Perumbavoor-Kothamangalam-Adimali-Munnar

TN Option:
Thamarassery-Mukkam-Perinthalmanna-Palakkad-Pollachi-Udumalpet-Munnar

Munnar-Kodai
Munnar - Udumalpet-Palani-Kodai
Munnar-Theni-Batlagundu-Kodai

Kodai-Pondicherry
Kodai-Bathlagundu-Dindigul-Trichy-Villupuram-Tindivanam-Pondicherry

Pondicherry-Banaglore
Pondicherry-Tindivanam-Arcot-Vellore-Bangalore

Please Note:

During monsoons, its a deluge in KL. It does not make sense to head to Waynad/Munnar which get substantial rains. And also you will be driving through Kerala where roads would most probably be under water.
ampere is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th May 2014, 22:48   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Please Note:
During monsoons, its a deluge in KL. It does not make sense to head to Waynad/Munnar which get substantial rains. And also you will be driving through Kerala where roads would most probably be under water.
That's not a good start for me!!

I have always taken your inputs seriously. So what's the way out of this?

Take out Wayanad and Munnar out of the itinerary? If yes, then can you please suggest appropriate alternatives?

On a side note, will Kodaikanal be motorable?
Old 8th May 2014, 11:06   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Safety is Param View Post

The purpose of starting this thread is to gather information about an upcoming trip in August this year.
June-July-August sees the heaviest rainfall in Kerala. Particularly the second half of July to mid-August (Aadi month in Tamil/Karkidagam in Malayalam)

So, decide depending on the objective of your trip. You can include Wayanad if you all love just sitting and watching rains inside a resort. But Munnar can be taken off the list

If your trip falls in the second half of August - I think there should not be any such problems

Please refer earlier threads on Wayanad for accommodation details

Quote:

I plan to source an Electric Automatic Car Jack, since there may be surprises. Is it advisable and worth the moolah?

7) Car will be fully loaded, 5 adults and accompanying luggage. The Bridgestone radial tires (185 / 65/ R15) that came factory-fitted, would have done approximately 18500 kms when the trip begins. Any special instructions for the tires, apart from the regular bulge, crack, etc. check?

8) Is it recommended to carry extra fuses? I know this is not a trip to Leh / Ladakh, but then every trip is a trip in itself. If I need to procure extra fuses, is the NISSAN AUTHORISED WORKSHOP the best place to procure them?

9) I will be carrying the Emergency Triangle used during breakdowns, 2 powerful LED torches, the regular kit that comes along with the car, etc. Anything important that needs to be added here? I don’t have it, but is it advisable to procure a seat-belt cutter, glass hammer combo?
It would be better if you post these queries in the sticky thread on 'Essentials of long drive' to get the attention of the experts in this field
mallumowgli is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th May 2014, 11:36   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mallumowgli View Post
...decide depending on the objective of your trip.
Objective of the trip is to holiday! Chose Wayanad and Munnar as I expect to see waterfalls and streams in full bloom.

Quote:
You can include Wayanad if you all love just sitting and watching rains inside a resort. But Munnar can be taken off the list
Yes, we don't mind that. However, does it rain all the day or only post noon? I ask this since early morning to 11 am time can be used to venture outside a bit.

Also, I have decided that we will be using our personal vehicle only to reach the hotel / resort. After that, I plan on hiring local vehicles for sightseeing. Reasons are - Peak monsoon, unfamiliarity with the area, etc. This does not apply to Kodaikanal and Pondicherry though.

Quote:
If your trip falls in the second half of August - I think there should not be any such problems
We don't plan to start before August 15, with an option to start at August 22 as well if the situation demands so!

Quote:
It would be better if you post these queries in the sticky thread on 'Essentials of long drive' to get the attention of the experts in this field
Will do so, thank you!

Last edited by Safety is Param : 8th May 2014 at 11:38.
Old 8th May 2014, 11:47   #6
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Take out Wayanad and Munnar out of the itinerary? If yes, then can you please suggest appropriate alternatives?
What I would suggest:

- Keep Waynad for one your long weekends. No need to club it with other places
- You can have a separate vacation in winter (Say Nov/Dec) for Munnar/Thekkady/Kumarakom.

As for now I would suggest:

- Drive to Kodai. That should be OK.
- On the way back, are you interested to see some beautiful temple architecture? How about one of the places: Tanjore/Chidambaram
- Chidambaram may be fun, as its closer to Pondicherry. You can also visit the Pichavaram mangrove.
- There is a Neemrana property at Tharangambadii. Its called Bungalow on the beach. You can try that.
- Then Drive to Pondicherry and head back home via Vellore

A night visit to Tanjore temple is beautiful. A snap I had posted in different TL thread:

Ref: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...courtalam.html
ampere is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th May 2014, 12:09   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

The proposed round trip is Bangalore – Wayanad – Munnar – Kodaikanal – Pondicherry – Vellore (Golden Temple) - Bangalore

I have the latest information on Kodaikanal stay here –

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ml#post3406646

1) All-season route from Bangalore to Wayanad, Wayanad to Munnar, Munnar to Kodaikanal and Kodaikanal to Pondicherry.

2) Tried and tested family hotels / resorts at Wayanad and Munnar (approx.. 2500/- per night per couple)

3) If we take a brunch break at Dasaprakash in Mysore, are more breaks advisable before reaching Wayanad? For bio-breaks, do we have Forest Department reception on the way to Wayanad like the one in Bandipur?

4) Are 12 days enough to complete this trip, with the Start and End dates being August 15 and 26 respectively (tentative dates, Bangalore to Bangalore)?

5) I can say we are quite foodie, so any must visit Vegetarian joints at these places?

6) I plan to source an Electric Automatic Car Jack, since there may be surprises. Is it advisable and worth the moolah?

10) Certified fuel-stations on these routes? Where to refuel during the journey to avoid surprises?

That's all that comes to mind as of now.

Please pitch in with your experiences. Thank you!

P.S. the space between "a" and "n" in the title refuses to budge!!

The route -

Attachment 1238086
Wrong time to go to Kerala,unless like Mowgli says,the objective is to sit in the resort and watch the rain drops.The rains are a gamble,it could go on for days on end without a break.All depends on how the monsoon is this year.

Blr to Wayanad district is via Mysore-NH212-Muthanga-Batheri

Munnar is almost ruled out during the rains.From there ideally you should look at going towards Kodaikanal via Gudalur-Ooty-Mettupalayam-Avinashi-Palladam-Udumulpet-Palani-Kodai

From Kodai-Dindigul-Trichy-Pondy

Pondy-Tindivanam-Vandavasi-Cheyyar-Arcot-Vellore-Krishnagiri-Blore.Fuel stations are plenty and almost all are good.
ranjitp1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th May 2014, 12:28   #8
Senior - BHPian

Never been to KL during monsoons. But have been to KA-GA in August and it is absolutely fine, we did do monsoon trips in 2011 and 2012 (with a 2 year old on tow). There are quite a few waterfalls in KA, Magod, Unchali (not sure if your parents can walk down), Jog (depends on your luck!), Arvalem (in Goa). Got to say we were a bit lucky not having rains in beach visits (which has a high probability of happening )

Given that you have 12 days at hand, you could do a MH-GA-KA circuit, you could refer to dreamdiesel's Recce into MH travelogue for ideas.
narayans80 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th May 2014, 12:36   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Objective of the trip is to holiday! Chose Wayanad and Munnar as I expect to see waterfalls and streams in full bloom.
LOL!! What I meant was whether it just to relax or is sightseeing the priority. But as you have explained later, it seems sightseeing is also a important

If it is beyond Aug 22, then I would say it is safe. Personally I would prefer second half of Aug since the waterfalls will be at its maximum glory. But I think you have to take into consideration your parents also

Quote:
Yes, we don't mind that. However, does it rain all the day or only post noon? I ask this since early morning to 11 am time can be used to venture outside a bit.
South-west Monsoon rains in Kerala are 24 hours affair

Quote:
Also, I have decided that we will be using our personal vehicle only to reach the hotel / resort. After that, I plan on hiring local vehicles for sightseeing. Reasons are - Peak monsoon, unfamiliarity with the area, etc.
Ironically reaching the tourist spots in Wayanad and Munnar are easy in your own vehicles. But sometimes it is difficult to reach the resorts, since most of them are inside plantations with only trails leading to the cottages
mallumowgli is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th May 2014, 12:54   #10
BHPian

Any specific reason to travel all the way from Kodai to Pondy? If it is for the beaches, you can consider places such as calicut, Kovalam, Allepey, etc.

Unless you have a specific reason to visit Pondy, I guess you can give it a miss. Also the heat and humidity in Pondy at August will be higher than say, what you get to experience in Kovalam.

Also, Wayanad, Munnar and Kodai, all being hill stations, might get a little monotonous. All being in the western ghats, the green you get to see will be more or less the same.

Consider making it an all Kerala trip, alternating between sea and hills and also including places of cultural importance.
CliffHanger is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th May 2014, 14:19   #11
BHPian

Re: Bangalore –> Wayanad –> Munnar –> Kodaikanal –> Pondicherry route

Quote:
What I would suggest- Keep Waynad for one your long weekends-a separate vacation in winter (Say Nov/Dec) for Munnar/Thekkady/Kumarakom
Point taken, Ampere. Am pressing myself for this trip just because we get together only once in an year. So you get that feeling of doing everything at the available opportunity, which in most of the cases, is not practically possible OR involves risks like being stranded in rains, no sightseeing, unplanned detours, etc. My wife and I can surely visit these places in Winter, but parents won't be around during that time, hence the pressing!

Quote:
As for now I would suggest- Drive to Kodai- On the way back Tanjore/Chidambaram - Pichavaram mangrove- Neemrana property at Tharangambadii. Its called Bungalow on the beach. You can try that.
- Then Drive to Pondicherry and head back home
Again, point taken. I will look into more details on these places to see if that suits everyone. But from what I know about the rest of the 4 members; they would surely welcome a temple or 2, but not all temples. Thanks for your suggestions!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
Wrong time to go to Kerala - The rains are a gamble,it could go on for days on end without a break.All depends on how the monsoon is this year.
Yes, I know it's the wrong time; however, it's the right time for a family get-together (read as - Rakhi Festival on Aug 10), and hence, ek trip toh banti hai!! It's all hinging on the rain factor at the moment. Thanks for your suggestions!

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayans80 View Post
Never been to KL during monsoons - have been to KA-GA in August and it is absolutely fine - quite a few waterfalls in KA, Magod, Unchali (not sure if your parents can walk down) - Jog - Arvalem (in Goa) - Given that you have 12 days at hand, you could do a MH-GA-KA circuit
Had been to Goa last October (only Wife and I) and at most of the places I saw boards that prohibit venturing into the sea during monsoons. Additionally, I am not including Trivandrum in the trip just because it's a drive of more than 650 kms from here (same as Goa, will surely be tough on Dad and Mom). Else, a Kodaikanal - Trivandrum - Kovalam - Varkala trip is not bad at all!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mallumowgli View Post
If it is beyond Aug 22, then I would say it is safe. Personally I would prefer second half of Aug since the waterfalls will be at its maximum glory. But I think you have to take into consideration your parents also
It's only becuase of my parents that I am desisting from a single long run. Otherwise, as mentioned above, a Kodaikanal - Trivandrum - Kovalam - Varkala trip is not bad. Kanyakumari can be included as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffHanger View Post
Any specific reason to travel all the way from Kodai to Pondy? If it is for the beaches, you can consider places such as calicut, Kovalam, Allepey, etc.
Not sure if that's the correct term, however, my wife and I enjoyed our last 2 trips to Pondicherry (March and April this year) and hence, thought of taking the rest of the family there as well! Moreover, the place is more to my Dad's liking with a mix of History, 21st Century and Bay of Bengal. Having born at a coastal place, my Dad's face lits up upon seeing a coast, and I want to see that again

Quote:
Wayanad, Munnar and Kodai, all being hill stations, might get a little monotonous.
Yes, I agree. However, to reduce journey time between 2 consecutive destinations is the reason I came up with this itinerary.

Quote:
Consider making it an all Kerala trip, alternating between sea and hills and also including places of cultural importance.
Can you please suggest a similar combo with a travel distance of not more than 300 / 350 kms between 2 consecutive destinations?

On a separate note, I am also thinking a trip to Trivandrum - Kovalam - Varkala - Kanyakumari. If I were to finalize this then most probably it will be done in Island Express to Kanyakumari - Trivandrum - Kovalam - Varkala - Trivandrum - Island Express to Bangalore.

We did this trip 18 months ago, and there is a good overview of Kerala to be seen from the 2AC coach of the Island Express.

Last edited by Safety is Param : 8th May 2014 at 14:21.
Old 8th May 2014, 14:33   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

On a separate note, I am also thinking a trip to Trivandrum - Kovalam - Varkala - Kanyakumari. If I were to finalize this then most probably it will be done in Island Express to Kanyakumari - Trivandrum - Kovalam - Varkala - Trivandrum - Island Express to Bangalore.

We did this trip 18 months ago, and there is a good overview of Kerala to be seen from the 2AC coach of the Island Express.
This seems like a good plan - though all the above will not take more than 4 days at the max. You can include 2 nights in Kumarakom also.

As you said, journey by Island express after the rains will be wonderful. But for the return you can think of any of the superfasts
mallumowgli is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th May 2014, 14:18   #13
BHPian

Blr-Sultanbathery-Gudalur-Ooty-Udumalpet-Marayoor-Munnar-Theni-Kodaikanal-Trichy-Pondy and so on, could be another option to stay a little bit away from the thick of KL monsoons. IMHO.

Then again, a drive through the above routes, during monsoons is another pleasure, except for landslides and water-clogged roads.

Last edited by Ddrive : 9th May 2014 at 14:29.
Ddrive is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th May 2014, 17:59   #14
BHPian

I would like to add my experiences on several long drives. My comments are preceded by ***:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...tric-jack.html (Electric Jack)

*** My experience with punctures in my Dzire and the earlier M800 is that the jack that came with the cars is perfectly adequate and does not require much effort to lift the car. I can change a flat tyre within 20 minutes, but it would be a good idea to practice it once before your journey. The procedure is :

1. position the car such that the ground is fairly level

2. place the car in first gear, engage the hand brake, and take out the spare tyre and the jack and handle and keep it close to the flat tyre

3. using the wheel spanner supplied with the car loosen all the wheel bolts, but do not remove them. The bolts should be loose enough to remove by hand.

4. place the jack under the car and align it with matching slots on the underbody. Lightly turn the knob by hand till you have a firm fit.

5. use the jack handle and raise the car till the tyre is about one to two inches above the ground

6. remove the wheel bolts and slide the flat tyre off the wheel hub and quickly replace the spare tyre and hand tighten the wheel bolts.

7. lower the car and remove the jack

8. tighten the wheel bolts with the spanner and you can check tightness by standing on the spanner

9. Do not forget to place flat tyre, wheel spanner, jack and handle in their proper positions.

There, it is as easy as that. One person can do it, but two will make it easier.

*** Just check that there is no damage to the tyres and the sidwall and also see if you have about 3 mm of tread left on the tyres. With good care, tyres should last about 40 to 50 thousand kilometers.

*** It is good to have a spare set, but I have never had to change in a combined use of 1.2 lakh km over 16 years.

*** LED torches are necessary to take care of a break down at night. Keep a knife such as the Swiss Army knife with you. Otherwise some old newspaper for kneeling on the road and a couple of 1.5 liter soft drink bottles filled with water for washing hands. I do not think the glass hammer is required.

Watch out for a drowsy situation especially after a filling meal. You may not realise it, but sleep on the drive can be fatal. If you are tired, stop for some time and wash face or let another person drive.

Have a great trip. The monsoon will present a different aspect of a drive, such as on seeing a flooded road, whether to risk crossing or to go back. Watch out for the potholes which get filled with water. Drive carefully.

Regards

Saji
SajiNSalin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2014, 12:24   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Can you please suggest a similar combo with a travel distance of not more than 300 / 350 kms between 2 consecutive destinations?
12 days is quite a lot of time to have a very relaxed trip. Below is a list that alternates between hills, sea, waterfalls and temples destinations.

1. Ooty or Wayanad

2. Calicut

3. Munnar or Kodai or Thekady or any 2 of them

4. Cochin - For some popular temples and some history

4. Allepey or Kumarakom - From Munnar, you can reach Allepey after visiting Athirapally falls and nearby places. Also, you can think about a houseboat stay in case you are interested. But be warned, after a couple hours, staying in a houseboat can get quite boring

5. Trivandrum - Varkala beach, Kovalam beach, Padmanabhaswamy Temple

6. Kanyakumari - Padmanabhaswamy palace, Triveni sangamam. The Thiruvalluvar statue is a sight to behold.

Most of the places are around 150 km between each other. So if you plan and book the hotels in advance, you can have a very relaxing holiday.

Drive Safe!

Last edited by CliffHanger : 23rd May 2014 at 12:26.
CliffHanger is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks