Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd June 2014, 20:15   #1
Senior - BHPian

Coast of India - 6000 kms. Suggestions?

Hello everyone!

A friend and I are planning an epic(?) ride - the whole coast of India. This is the route we have planned (as though there could be another)

Coast of India - 6000 kms. Suggestions?-coastal-ride.jpg

We've planned to start riding once the monsoons end - probably end of October. We want to raise some awareness of safe riding on a 2-wheeler along the way. Something to give back for the love of motorcycling!

We want your help guys - with the routes, places to stay, places to avoid, places to visit, road conditions - heck you can even invite us to stay with you if you stay along our route

We're planning the ride for 45 days - take it easy but want to finish it in 30 days. Not sure if that is really possible though - we have to cover 200 kms every single day for that to happen.

We've got lofty ideas of creating a small photo booklet of the ride. We'll also be taking videos along the route and have plans to create small episodes a la Long Way Round. I just think this coastline must be unparalleled?

My friend owns a Pulsar 220 and I have a CBR 250R - we are looking to see if we can get other all terrain bikes but finances are a problem in that case.

So many loose ends to tie up

Give us your best wishes for the ride.

I might even quit my job before I go on the ride. The ride of a lifetime.

Last edited by naveenroy : 9th June 2014 at 20:06. Reason: Updates from mod
naveenroy is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 10th June 2014, 17:38   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Coast of India - 6000 kms. Suggestions?

Thread moved from the Assembly Line to the Route & Travel Queries Section!
Old 10th June 2014, 17:59   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenroy View Post
Hello everyone!

A friend and I are planning an epic(?) ride - the whole coast of India. This is the route we have planned (as though there could be another)

Attachment 1246379

We've planned to start riding once the monsoons end - probably end of October. We want to raise some awareness of safe riding on a 2-wheeler along the way. Something to give back for the love of motorcycling!

We want your help guys - with the routes, places to stay, places to avoid, places to visit, road conditions - heck you can even invite us to stay with you if you stay along our route

We're planning the ride for 45 days - take it easy but want to finish it in 30 days. Not sure if that is really possible though - we have to cover 200 kms every single day for that to happen.

We've got lofty ideas of creating a small photo booklet of the ride. We'll also be taking videos along the route and have plans to create small episodes a la Long Way Round. I just think this coastline must be unparalleled?

My friend owns a Pulsar 220 and I have a CBR 250R - we are looking to see if we can get other all terrain bikes but finances are a problem in that case.

So many loose ends to tie up

Give us your best wishes for the ride.

I might even quit my job before I go on the ride. The ride of a lifetime.
Best wishes for your ride! Your trip plan reminded me of Mayur & Rocky's 'Coast to Coast' journey aired last year in 'Highway on my plate'. I still watch some of the episodes in NDTV Goodtimes website.
Old 10th June 2014, 18:06   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Couple of folks I know have already done C2C (Coast to Coast) of this sort. Our own member aargee has done this on Bike but mostly covering the southern peninsular starting from Chennai on the east cost to Mangalore on the west.

He should be able to provide some inputs too for an good fraction of your itinerary!

EDIT:
Then I also know a non-member who did the CH Drive(Coastal Highway) in an i20 in Gujarat starting from Bhavnagar all the way till where the coast ends near the Rann of Kutch.

Remember that when in Maharashtra, you have NH17 as well as MSH4. While the former passes a bit away from the coast, the latter is a very scenic road that almost kisses the coast. A member and my friend with the handle alokgunhal did MSH4 just 2 months before and he can provide you a lot of information on this too.

If you can provide a detailed break-up of via points that you have planned, I am sure many of us here will pitch in!

Last edited by paragsachania : 10th June 2014 at 18:13.
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th June 2014, 07:57   #5
Team-BHP Support

Taking it piecemeal...

- You have the southern C-2-C (coast to coast). So you know that part very well.
- Chennai-Pondicherry-Velankanni-Thondi-Ramnad-Tirchendur-KK-TVM-Kollam-Kochi-Paravoor-Guruvayur-Calicut-Mangalore.

Lot of us are regulars on many and you your self about the above.

For the rest :

- The western coast is easy! Mangalore-Goa-Mumbai. Many are fans of NH17
- You will need on Gujarat sector. (I think ACM had driven to Diu.)

Ref: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...-lil-rann.html

Coming to east:
Another blank for me. Cant help much.

Last edited by ampere : 11th June 2014 at 08:00.
Old 11th June 2014, 09:48   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
- The western coast is easy! Mangalore-Goa-Mumbai. Many are fans of NH17
I would be tempted as always to do MSH4 instead of NH17 till it ends and then take NH17 there onwards. It hugs the coastline all the way.
Quote:
- You will need on Gujarat sector. (I think ACM had driven to Diu.)
Have done Veraval-Porbandar-Dwarka-Jamnagar-Dhrol-Samakhyali-Mandvi way back in 2012. The coastal highways in GJ are typical 2 lane beauties with windmills and solar panels talking to the skies.
Quote:
Coming to east:
Another blank for me. Cant help much.
If its GQ, its not as great as what it was in 2012. 6 lane work beyond Nellore till Vijaywada. Deteriorating roads from Vizag towards Behrampur (latest reports as well my experience in Oct 2013 itself). anujmishra should help here who did this part last month.

Overall, its going to be a wonderful ride with nothing much to bother about!

Last edited by paragsachania : 11th June 2014 at 10:04.
Old 11th June 2014, 12:32   #7
BHPian

Parag,

Remember Roamingrao did a Kanyakumari to Kashmir travelogue, covering the western coast few years back. You may check that
Old 12th June 2014, 09:33   #8
Senior - BHPian

I have been on NH 5 recently. Between Nellore to Vijayawada therei s no 6 laning work going on but construction of numerous overbridges. At every construction site there is diversion with bone jarring speed breakers. All diversions are 1 to 2 kms long and consumes lots of time. You cannot overtake there as these diversions are ideally single lane infested with local traffic and haphazardly parked vehicles.
anujmishra is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th June 2014, 18:09   #9
Senior - BHPian

Sorry guys for the late reply. Been caught up with work and with the World Cup going on, hardly getting time to reply. Will do so in some time. Please keep your inputs coming. Thanks to the person who PM'ed me too - I will call you when I get the time. Much appreciated!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks