Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd August 2006, 19:23   #31
BHPian

sorry brothers for not updating this section lately but unfortunately my wife got hospitablised for stomach infection & had 2 spend some time at the hostpital for treatment.

due to this the long dreamt ladakh tour is over for this year.

nonetheless a big thanks for everybody for their suggestions which ranges from tiny little important things to major suggestions. especially to Rudra Sen, Sideways & Khaadu75 for spending good time over the phone making me understand the intricacies & needs for such a journey.

alas i wont b able to utilise them until next year, actually who knows which year!
Old 2nd August 2006, 20:11   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveendhyani
alas i wont b able to utilise them until next year, actually who knows which year!
That makes it two of us. On the brighter side, Ladakh's not going anywhere.
Old 5th August 2006, 04:12   #33
BHPian

Really Unfortunate.
Hope you make it next year.
I am going to Spiti Valley on the 10th . Hope things turn on good on my side.
Old 5th August 2006, 11:40   #34
Team-BHP Support

a friend (who is a silent member) just did the ladakh, kargil etc stretch.
he is going to be posting up about it sometime soon.
will ask him for any pointers in any case. tc.
Someday!!

manson.
Old 5th August 2006, 12:28   #35
BANNED

Quote:
due to this the long dreamt ladakh tour is over for this year.

nonetheless a big thanks for everybody for their suggestions which ranges from tiny little important things to major suggestions. especially to Rudra Sen, Sideways & Khaadu75 for spending good time over the phone making me understand the intricacies & needs for such a journey.

Hey, Really unfortunate that you had to cancel last min but then like I said to u on the phone ... Its better that ur wife developed the problem right here in Delhi and not somewhere between manali-leh so look at it from the bright side !!1

As for the trip .. maybe next year we can do it together !!! Ive been planning and dreaming since '93 and its been 13 yrs and I still havnt gone ... Ladakh is still there so maybe I shall go in the 14th year !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhogalrajnish
I am going to Spiti Valley on the 10th . Hope things turn on good on my side.
Pls check on the situation in Spiti coz I got info that Spiti is cut of due to a cloudburst that happened a day r two ago !! PLS CHECK THE SITUATION BEFORE LEAVING

Cheers
Old 5th August 2006, 13:27   #36
BHPian

BTW got a word from a friend in LEH that the Manali Leh route is in bad condition. even taveras & sumos are having problem in doin the terrain.

also KHAADU really means "hill boy" in himachali, so do take his points seriously.
Old 5th August 2006, 22:02   #37
BANNED

Quote:
BTW got a word from a friend in LEH that the Manali Leh route is in bad condition. even taveras & sumos are having problem in doin the terrain.
Hey, I wonder what you mean by a tough time ..... And its very tough for me to believe that Sumo's and Taveras are having a tough time --- Is probably a case of city drivers having a tough time !!! ' Its not how u stand by ur car , Its how you race ur car ' . I dunno why people who dont know how to drive ... head to the hills ... and then grumble that the roads are bad ... ... or maybe they expected EXPRESSWAY type stretches !!!

Naveen, Pls dont believe any and every one who decides to make a statement on such terrains !!! Wait for Rudra & Gang to get back .. and v'll get the right picture and that too with pics so we can figure out how bad it was ....

Cheers
Old 5th August 2006, 22:42   #38
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by khaadu75
Wait for Rudra & Gang to get back .. and v'll get the right picture and that too with pics so we can figure out how bad it was ....

Cheers
Already heard from him, he has reached Leh. Regarding the road, he sounded very disgusted, apparently in very very bad shape.
Old 6th August 2006, 03:50   #39
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai
Already heard from him, he has reached Leh. Regarding the road, he sounded very disgusted, apparently in very very bad shape.
Hey, Gud to hear that they allready in Leh ... and as for the bad roads , I must say its probably coz they are riding in a Gypsy and a gypsy makes a smooth road also feel bad ;-) !!

Also I wonder how you got in tuch with him .... Id like to get in touch as well so cud you pls PM me his contact number !!!

Cheers
Old 6th August 2006, 11:43   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Naveen, Pls dont believe any and every one who decides to make a statement on such terrains !!! Wait for Rudra & Gang to get back .. and v'll get the right picture and that too with pics so we can figure out how bad it was ....

Cheers
well it was actually rudra who told me this. because of bad roads they had 2 do an extra overnight in sarchu. its because of landslides & broken roads that the vehicles are having issues.
Old 6th August 2006, 14:41   #41
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Also I wonder how you got in tuch with him .... Id like to get in touch as well so cud you pls PM me his contact number !!!

Cheers
No contact number, apparently Leh has Internet.
Old 21st May 2009, 12:13   #42
Senior - BHPian

Essentials for Safari Trip to Leh and Ladakh?

Hi guys. Posting this on behalf of a friend who is driving his Safari 2.2 VTT to Leh and Ladakh.
I needed help on the essentials that him and his family will need. Not to forget, that the Safari will need some lovin' too.
Can someone present a checklist of things to carry: Other than the usual clothes etc..
The No. of days is not decided but he wants to be well stocked. With EVERYTHING possible that is required.
Thank you so much!
Old 21st May 2009, 14:26   #43
Senior - BHPian

Allow me to set the ball rolling with some stuff for the Safari -
  • 12V Air Compressor (for filling air in the tyres)
  • Tyre Pressure gauge (comes with above but can carry an additional reliable one as well)
  • Spare Headlamp & Taillamp bulbs
  • Spare Fuses - including the ones of higher ratings
  • Heavy Duty Tow Rope
  • Spanner Set
  • Tubeless Tyre Repair Kit
  • Mobile Phone Charger.
And, for themselves, some stuff that may be required -
  • Couple of cartons of Mineral water (comes in handy on the long stretches where there are no toilets )
  • Sunscreen Lotion
  • Chocolates & Biscuits
  • Torches
Oh & how could I forget - a Postpaid MTNL/BSNL connection

Last edited by suman : 21st May 2009 at 14:40.
Old 21st May 2009, 14:39   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman View Post
Oh & how could I forget - a Postpaid MTNL/BSNL connection
Airtel works there (in and around Leh) but who needs a phone when you are in such a place.
BTW, Suman, this reminds me that I need to send you the phone no. of Diskit guest house.
Also get a spare Fuel can, 20 ltr. Keep in mind that Tandi is the last place to get fuel before you reach Upshi near Leh. And sometimes even in Tandi they go out of stock.
And Diamox to the list of other things.
Old 21st May 2009, 14:44   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaushik_s View Post
Airtel works there (in and around Leh) but who needs a phone when you are in such a place.
BTW, Suman, this reminds me that I need to send you the phone no. of Diskit guest house.
Also get a spare Fuel can, 20 ltr. Keep in mind that Tandi is the last place to get fuel before you reach Upshi near Leh. And sometimes even in Tandi they go out of stock.
And Diamox to the list of other things.
Hey Kaushik, thanks for remembering - I did get the number just after I PMed you so no worries.

The Safari has a 65 litre tank so as long as he tanks up in Manali & then again at Tandi, he should be through (even assuming a low-low mileage of 6.5 kms/ltr and the 2.2 will surely be giving more than that).

Yes, Diamox, he should check this out with his physician before taking it though.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks