Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th June 2014, 18:23   #1
BHPian

Gurgaon to Dalhousie : Route Queries

I am planning to drive to Dalhousie next weekend from Gurgaon and need help in finalising which route to take. Below are the two routes as per Google Maps:

1. NH71: Gurgaon -> Rohtak -> Jind -> Sangrur -> Ludhiana -> Jalandhar -> Pathankot -> Dalhousie

2. NH1/AH1: Gurgaon -> Panipat -> Karnal -> Chandigarh (Bypass) -> Rupnagar -> Nangal -> Nurpur -> Dalhousie

Based on when I can leave office, I am planning to start from Gurgaon:
a. at 4:00PM on Friday
b. or 4:00PM on Saturday

Thanks in advance for help/pointers.
Old 11th June 2014, 18:27   #2
E63
BANNED

re: Gurgaon to Dalhousie : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobix View Post
I am planning to drive to Dalhousie next weekend from Gurgaon and need help in finalising which route to take. Below are the two routes as per Google Maps:

1. NH71: Gurgaon -> Rohtak -> Jind -> Sangrur -> Ludhiana -> Jalandhar -> Pathankot -> Dalhousie

2. NH1/AH1: Gurgaon -> Panipat -> Karnal -> Chandigarh (Bypass) -> Rupnagar -> Nangal -> Nurpur -> Dalhousie

Both of them are wrong.

Gurgaon - Delhi - Sonipat - Panipat - Karnal - Ambala - Ludhiana Jalandhar Pathankot Dalhousie
E63 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th June 2014, 20:16   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by E63 View Post
Both of them are wrong.

Gurgaon - Delhi - Sonipat - Panipat - Karnal - Ambala - Ludhiana Jalandhar Pathankot Dalhousie
Thanks E63, strangely the route you wrote about is not shown in G-Maps:

Name:  route.png
Views: 32037
Size:  251.2 KB
Old 12th June 2014, 01:02   #4
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
This is correct route , if you are leaving on Friday , try if you can make out by 3 30 to beat evening Delhi rush - Avoid passing through Ajadpur Mandi due to ongoing road repairs , heavy jams at all times .

Ideally you should stay somewhere in night & maybe go via Chandigarh

Gurgaon - Delhi - Sonipat - Panipat - Karnal - Ambala - Chandigarh - Ropar - Hoshiarpur- Dasuya - Pathankot Dalhousie

NH1 from Ambala to Jalandhar is in bad shape ,in fact from Karnal onwards but you cant avoid Karnal - Ambala .

Ropar - Hoshiarpur is single but Toll Road in good condition . This will meet Jalandhar - Pathankot highway at Dasuya .

Last edited by Turbanator : 12th June 2014 at 01:07.
Turbanator is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 12th June 2014, 09:54   #5
BHPian

Quote:

Take Route 2, You'll need to take Rajiv Chowk towards Sultanpur Lake which will connect you to the newly laid state highway, i.e Farookhnagar- Jhajjar- Rohtak- Gohana- Panipat NH1. Continue with Chandigarh Bypass towards Roopnagar an excellent road till Nangal. This route will keep you away from the friday evening mess of Delhi. Happy Holidays!
mr_hardcore is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th June 2014, 11:16   #6
E63
BANNED

Quote:
Thanks E63, strangely the route you wrote about is not shown in G-Maps:

Attachment 1249217

Which is strange, because
a) It is the most commonly taken route
b) It is nothing except an amalgamation of the two routes you just mentioned
c) It is the shortest route.

And someone just complained of there being horrible road from Ambala to Jalandhar. Well, there are a few flyovers being constructed, but it isnt all that bad.

And nobody who has to go to Pathankot goes via Chandigarh. NOBODY!

But however you do have to keep into mind that you are leaving at 4 PM, you'll be in Jalandhar by 10:30, and I wouldnt really recommend going beyond Pathankot in the dark.

So your ideal halt will be either Jalandhar or Pathankot.
E63 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th June 2014, 12:51   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
This is correct route , if you are leaving on Friday , try if you can make out by 3 30 to beat evening Delhi rush - Avoid passing through Ajadpur Mandi due to ongoing road repairs , heavy jams at all times .

Ideally you should stay somewhere in night & maybe go via Chandigarh

Gurgaon - Delhi - Sonipat - Panipat - Karnal - Ambala - Chandigarh - Ropar - Hoshiarpur- Dasuya - Pathankot Dalhousie

NH1 from Ambala to Jalandhar is in bad shape ,in fact from Karnal onwards but you cant avoid Karnal - Ambala .

Ropar - Hoshiarpur is single but Toll Road in good condition . This will meet Jalandhar - Pathankot highway at Dasuya .
Thanks Turbanator, the route you wrote about is what I tool 2 years back when I went to Dharamshala. That time also we started at 4:00PM from GGN and stayed in Chandigarh for the night. This time I am hoping to avoid all of the Delhi traffic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_hardcore View Post
Take Route 2, You'll need to take Rajiv Chowk towards Sultanpur Lake which will connect you to the newly laid state highway, i.e Farookhnagar- Jhajjar- Rohtak- Gohana- Panipat NH1. Continue with Chandigarh Bypass towards Roopnagar an excellent road till Nangal. This route will keep you away from the friday evening mess of Delhi. Happy Holidays!
Thanks mr_hardcore, the route looks very promising given it bypasses delhi traffic. Will look at it in details.

Quote:
Originally Posted by E63 View Post
Which is strange, because
a) It is the most commonly taken route
b) It is nothing except an amalgamation of the two routes you just mentioned
c) It is the shortest route.

And someone just complained of there being horrible road from Ambala to Jalandhar. Well, there are a few flyovers being constructed, but it isnt all that bad.

And nobody who has to go to Pathankot goes via Chandigarh. NOBODY!

But however you do have to keep into mind that you are leaving at 4 PM, you'll be in Jalandhar by 10:30, and I wouldnt really recommend going beyond Pathankot in the dark.

So your ideal halt will be either Jalandhar or Pathankot.
Thanks E63, yes my plan is to stop for night somewhere the route, depending on which route I take.
Old 29th September 2014, 12:48   #8

Hi Mobix,

Request if you can give a feedback on the route taken. I am planning a trip to Jammu on coming extended weekend and looking at any of the below routes:

Option 1. Delhi-Ambala-Rajpura-Ludhiana-Jalandhar-Pathankot-Jammu

or

Option 2. Delhi-Ambala-Ropar-Hoshiarpur-Dasua-Jammu

I will be leaving at 8AM (after early morning Pooja at home)

Also, if you can update on road condition, tolls, places to eat/rest on the way.

Thanks in advance.
Old 29th September 2014, 13:55   #9
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Option 2. Delhi-Ambala-Ropar-Hoshiarpur-Dasua-Jammu
This will be better given the present state of NH1 at places like Sirhind , Gobindgarh & Ludhiana . Take right for Banur just before Shambu Toll Plaza .

NeelKanth - Karnal , Hoshiarpurian da Dhaba at Balachaur . You can save little toll by continuing towards Nawanshar instead of taking right from Balachaur . From Nawanshar you can take right towards Garshankar and onward to Hoshiarpur , that way you can skip toll on Balachaur- Garshankar road .
Turbanator is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 29th September 2014, 14:06   #10

Thank you Turbanator.
Also, if you can help with a decent route to cross Hoshiarpur. Google maps show a route crossing through the city. Read somewhere it is a confusing city to cross.
Old 7th October 2014, 20:06   #11

Hi,

Just returned from a trip to Jammu. I took both the routes (via Hoshiarpur to go to Jammu and via Ludhiana to return). I honestly feel that Ludhiana/Jalandhar route is way better that Hoshiarpur route. Though you end up paying more toll on road, it is safer, has more support, you can maintain 90kph for the entire route with a few exceptions. Hoshiarpur route has no road divider, passes through really 'rough' villages places and has literally no support in case your vehicle breaks down.

Once again, thanks to everyone for supporting and helping in this trip.
Old 2nd June 2016, 09:15   #12
BHPian

Guys, bumping up an old thread.

Planning a trip >
Delhi > Karnal > Ambala > Ludhiana > Jalandhar > Dasuya > Pathankot > Dalhousie

How's the road condition ?
Any alternate route I should think of ?
how much time it would take to travel ? 10hours ?
Finally, out of the whole trip, how many km's come under mountain driving ?
Old 2nd June 2016, 09:52   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

Ambala Shambu Ropar Balachor Hoshirpur Dasuya shorter and better option.

Only after Pathankot you get curvy roads. Say 5%
Old 2nd June 2016, 13:46   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudev View Post
Ambala Shambu Ropar Balachor Hoshirpur Dasuya shorter and better option.

Only after Pathankot you get curvy roads. Say 5%
Thanks Sir ...5% is negligible and manageable
Are the roads OK on this stretch ?
I mean with what you suggested -

take a right after ambala > Shambhu Kalan > Kharar > Rupnagar > Garhshankar > Hoshiarpur > Dasuya > Pathankot

The route I wrote above originally is about 590kms.
The route suggested by you is about 580kms..

So I dont see any major kms saved - am I calculating it right ?!
Old 2nd June 2016, 14:02   #15
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
ambala > Shambhu Kalan > Kharar > Rupnagar > Garhshankar > Hoshiarpur > Dasuya >
Better take

Ambala - Derrabassi - Chandigarh-Mohali Bypass * - Kharar - Ropar-Garshankar- Hoshirapur- Hariana ** - Pathankot

* Almost 5 Km before Zirakpur you will see Ms-Donald / KFC - take left on a new road - incase of any confusion ask for AeroCity Road - this will bypass Chandigarh & Mohali completely and you will join Chandigarh - Ropar highway just before kharar.

** From Hoshiarpur to Dasuya - there are 2 routes - one via Tanda one via Hariana , Tanda cut is about 2-3 Km before , this route will be little longer so take next one.

https://www.google.co.in/maps/dir/Am...!2i1!3i1?hl=en

Ignore - U turn in this against simple Left at MCD.

Alternatively, you can continue on NH1 to Ambala & Jalandhar to NH1A . In past Jalandhar - Pathankot section was a mess , double check with someone or I will try to update, it was being 4 laned for many years , might have got completed in which case it should be preferred despite little longer

https://www.google.co.in/maps/dir/Am....2643375?hl=en

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks