Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th July 2014, 19:33   #1

Mumbai -> Reckong Peo route?

Hi All,

This is my 1 st post on Team BHP. I am hard core driving enthusiasts and own a Hyundai Verna and a Honda City.

I want to drive to Himachal Pradesh in Spiti Valley from Mumbai and back on Verna. This driving expedition is to be undertaken during the 1st fortnight of September. From the information that I have gathered on this website, September would be a preferred month since crowd would be less and less traffic.

The route that I intend to take is Mumbai-Vadodara-Udaipur-Jaipur-Rohtak-Patiala-Mandi-Manali-Kaza-Reckong Peo.

I understand that driving from Mumbai to Patiala will not be a problem since the roads are excellent. I need a information on the roads in Himachal Pradesh especially on the route that I intend to drive on.

On my return journey, I googled and found out that the road from Reckong Peo to Rampur is not complete and is not operable.
Can somebody confirm on this pls? If this is in a working condition, I will drive down to Shimla from Reckong Peo and then back to Mumbai.

Have mentioned some questions that come to my mind below:

1) Can Hyundai Verna sustain the roads in this terrain?

2) What are the preparations with respect to my car that I need to take?

3) Most probably I will be alone person going on this road trip. Is it safe?....not with respect to driving but from overall safety perspective.

Waiting for maximum feedbacks.

Thanks in advance.

Rgds
abhypras is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th July 2014, 00:11   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: Mumbai -> Reckong Peo route?

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhypras View Post
Hi All,

This is my 1 st post on Team BHP. I am hard core driving enthusiasts and own a Hyundai Verna and a Honda City.

I want to drive to Himachal Pradesh in Spiti Valley from Mumbai and back on Verna. This driving expedition is to be undertaken during the 1st fortnight of September. From the information that I have gathered on this website, September would be a preferred month since crowd would be less and less traffic.

The route that I intend to take is Mumbai-Vadodara-Udaipur-Jaipur-Rohtak-Patiala-Mandi-Manali-Kaza-Reckong Peo.

I understand that driving from Mumbai to Patiala will not be a problem since the roads are excellent. I need a information on the roads in Himachal Pradesh especially on the route that I intend to drive on.

On my return journey, I googled and found out that the road from Reckong Peo to Rampur is not complete and is not operable.
Can somebody confirm on this pls? If this is in a working condition, I will drive down to Shimla from Reckong Peo and then back to Mumbai.

Have mentioned some questions that come to my mind below:

3) Most probably I will be alone person going on this road trip. Is it safe?....not with respect to driving but from overall safety perspective.

Waiting for maximum feedbacks.

Thanks in advance.

Rgds
Road between Rampur and Reckong was reported to be in pretty bad condition a few weeks back.Wait for some more recent updates from other members.
ranjitp1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th July 2014, 09:25   #3
J.Ravi

Quote:
Yes. When my erstwhile Linea with a GC of 165 mm could do it, why not Verna? This was the actual itinerary of the trip:

Mumbai -> Reckong Peo route?-backhome.jpg

The route taken:

Name:  HPTrip.png
Views: 1138
Size:  127.6 KB

The lowest temperature of the trip at Kunzam Pass:

Mumbai -> Reckong Peo route?-midtemp.jpg

Mumbai -> Reckong Peo route?-dsc08575.jpg

The worst stretch encountered between Batal and Gramphoo:

Mumbai -> Reckong Peo route?-dsc08599.jpg

Mumbai -> Reckong Peo route?-dsc08601.jpg

Mumbai -> Reckong Peo route?-dsc08604.jpg

Quote:
Ensure that your car in tip top condition. Carry spare portable compressor, tyre repair kit, spare fuses and tools. Linea had the sturdy engine guard plate that bore the brunt of countless underbody hits during the trip. Ensure that Verna's engine/oil sump are well-protected.

Quote:
Absolutely safe. Self and wife did the trip and felt safe all along.
  (4) Thanks
Old 25th July 2014, 09:39   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I want to drive to Himachal Pradesh in Spiti Valley from Mumbai and back on Verna.
Welcome to TBHP.
Though your trip is not to Leh, you may be able to get additional details from Leh thread.
mpksuhas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th July 2014, 12:08   #5

Thank You all for your feedbacks.

J Ravi thank you so much for the useful feedback. Some of your pictures do give me a doubt of Verna can sustain those roads.

I am waiting for a confirmation if the road from Rampur to Reckong Peo is in driving condition. Google Maps shows that the road is closed currently.
abhypras is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks