Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd December 2006, 19:17   #1
BHPian

Whats YOUR quirk?

Was wondering if any one else out there had a (or several!!) personal "driving quirk".

I have this peculiar 'trait' while driving on the highways - I hate to apply my brakes when there is another car behind me, only because I do not want the other driver to think that I was "going too fast" (and thus not quite in control) and had to apply my brakes to slow down...so I'd rather change gears and reduce speed getting into a corner..sort of like a question of pride - though am quite sure the other guy hardly notices, and couldn't really be bothered!!

Lets see what other 'silly' stuff we get up to out there in our cars..'fess up, guys...just a little fun and an insight into personal driving styles and habits!
Old 2nd December 2006, 22:32   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Reverse park as much as possible, ..
after starting, the first gear to be engaged is always the first gear ..
and generally baby the beast, trying to be as gentle with it as possible.
Old 2nd December 2006, 22:46   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

I'm one of those factory-made quirkless types, I guess!
Old 2nd December 2006, 23:09   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Reverse park as much as possible, ..
after starting, the first gear to be engaged is always the first gear ..
and generally baby the beast, trying to be as gentle with it as possible.
hehe me too..... most public parking spaces, I try to reverse park...of course, I only have a bike, but still.....
Old 2nd December 2006, 23:41   #5
Senior - BHPian

:-) I'm a Reverse Parker too. (And a crazy one at that.) I have to park it just right always. As close to the curb as possible, and as parallel to the curb as possible. Drives my Dad nuts when he's with me.

Quirk 2: I have to check if I've locked the car at least 3 times before I'm fully satisfied. Then I have to check it again with the remote from a distance. Maybe I need help...
Old 2nd December 2006, 23:49   #6
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydrashok View Post
Quirk 2: I have to check if I've locked the car at least 3 times before I'm fully satisfied. Then I have to check it again with the remote from a distance. Maybe I need help...
Ditto..!! I have rushed from movie halls, restaurants, my house, etc. when I get a feeling that I have not locked my car .

In traffic whenever I apply brakes I fear a motorcyclist to bang into the back of my car, hence I always look at my mirror as soon as I put my foot on the brake.

When my car is stationary and I see traffic moving from my left, I keep looking out for people who might have a careless tendency to just nudge the car while trying to get out of a lane.

When I reverse park, I ensure that my car is clear of the doors of the cars standing next to mine so that they dont scratch my car.

Geez... I have a lot of quirks!
Old 2nd December 2006, 23:50   #7
BHPian

park parallel in one go! and mostly I am able to do it ;-)
Old 3rd December 2006, 00:24   #8
BHPian

windows closed!

I have to check if each window is closed by touching the top of the window to see if the finger feels there is a gap or not, check each door (even if locked by remote, dont trust it).
though I start with the drivers door, i check all and then have to check the drivers door again.
Have to leave the wheels parallel to the car always.
Old 3rd December 2006, 03:04   #9
BANNED

Wheelspin!
Spin it whenever possible. Hmmm... Even my 800 curses me for this.
And that's a reason I hate ATs.

And I switch off my headlights every time the car comes to a halt. Even if it's for 2-3 seconds. Could be dangerous in highways and dark places.

Removing the key before locking the car.
Old 3rd December 2006, 05:15   #10
Senior - BHPian

i always get paranoid when applying the brakes at a red light or while driving in heavy traffic for the fear that someone will not apply his/her brakes on time and will bang my car so if a car/bike comes really close to my ride then i almost jump in my seat.!

Last edited by faithless_1984 : 3rd December 2006 at 05:22.
Old 3rd December 2006, 06:44   #11
BHPian

I always remember to check oil level in the morning after I worm up the car!!
Old 3rd December 2006, 08:00   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydrashok View Post
:-) I'm a Reverse Parker too. (And a crazy one at that.) I have to park it just right always. As close to the curb as possible, and as parallel to the curb as possible. Drives my Dad nuts when he's with me.

he he he!!! I too have this problem!!! Hey dude... its juz bcoz of your lack of concentration and confidence..!!!Also, you always have too much of expensive gadgets inside your car eh?!!! he he he!! Lock it very consiously next time... Slowly you will get rid of that!!
cheers!!

Last edited by nikkibike : 3rd December 2006 at 08:04.
Old 3rd December 2006, 08:43   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedzak View Post
Removing the key before locking the car.
Ohhhh man! Don't remind me of this! I used an 800 before and I used to lock myself out of my car at least 3-4 times a year. Was very embarrassing back in college (sigh! nostalgia) when you're trying to be macho and cool and stuff. I ended up carrying a spare key in my wallet. But after I got the spare key, it never happened to me.

Yes nikki. I guess it really is because I don't do the locking part consciously. And the gadget thing is what drives me to paranoia. :-)
Old 3rd December 2006, 09:07   #14
Senior - BHPian

Haha I see people have a lot of stuff in common.

I'm not too bothered about reverse parking...but i always start in first gear even if it means just moving forward a few inches....superstitious? You bet.

Also I have this habit of always keeping atleast some sort of light of the car always on while driving....in my current car, its always the fogs that are on.
Its funny when people on the road keep telling me that the lights are on....but most of them on my regular route have gotten used to it or have just stopped bothering.

Drifter
Old 3rd December 2006, 09:21   #15
Senior - BHPian

I have this quirk about tidy interiors. I hate to see things lying around - bottles, waste paper in door pockets, wires/cables, and just about ANYTHING else thats out of place. It drives the family (and any other passenger) crazy, but it keeps me peaceful....therefore the clean-up ritual precedes every drive and punctuates it in the end.

Last edited by Steeroid : 3rd December 2006 at 09:23.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks