Team-BHP - Bangalore to Hampi / Bellary : Route Queries
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Route / Travel Queries (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-travel-queries/)
-   -   Bangalore to Hampi / Bellary : Route Queries (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-travel-queries/19934-bangalore-hampi-bellary-route-queries.html)

Hi,

Am planing to go to Hampi for the New Year's weekend and would like to know what the route is like? I would be staying at Bellary (abt 55km) from Hampi (due to lack of accomodation at hampi) so what is the travel time between the two locations?

Thanks in advance

you sould be able to reach Hampi by 2pm if you leave Bangalore by 7 Am, the roads are good. There is a very good hotel at Hospet , Hotel Malligi it is 3 star accomadation at very reasonable prices, Hospet is 15 kms to Hampi. This hotel also has pool and health club. The deluxe rooms are centrally air conditioned and cost about 1800 per night. The food also is very good . I suggest staying here because it is close to Hampi, TB dam.

would suggest you take the tumkur road till hiruyur and then take a right on the state highway, this road is like M.G. road and it does not have any traffic at all, have done over six trips from Blore to Bellary and always use this road.

Never use the actual bellary road which is horrible. IMHO.

Sadly there are no good eating joints on the way, hence do carry your own grub.

Thanks Prashanth, for your inputs. Couldnt get the bookings at Malligi as its full being the tourist season and long weekend!! the best i could do was to get at Bellary and will try and see how it works out. Rgds

The road from Bellary to Hampi is a good road via Tornagallu (Jindal Steel plant). You should take just 1 hour if you a fast driver.

This thread brings back old memories to me. I did my B.E. in Bellary and did few trips to Hampi on bike. This was 9 years ago. During those days Bellary was one of the backward districts in Karnataka. These days i hear lots of good things about Bellary becoming prosperous because of the Iron ore mines.

From Bellary, Hospet is around 60 KMS and Hampi is another 11 KMS. This should be 15 as mentioned by Prashant from TB dam. Also there are few other scenic places close to Bellary.

Hi Prithvi,
Going thru the web, i find that the recommendation is to go on NH4 till Chitrdurga and then take a right on NH13 (Indiacar.com - Buy/ Sell Cars, Prices, Research, Car Buyers Guide, Car Site, Questions, Car Quotes and much more) . As per ur mail, do u recommend I go via Hiruyur and go via Chellakere and Molakalmuru to Bellary on SH? (Karnataka Road Network Map - Karnataka India - Maps of India)
Thanks

Hi,

In Jan 2nd week of 2006, I went to Hampi-->Aihole-->Pattadikkal -->Badaami --> B'lore(via Hospet --> Chitra durga).

My route till Hampi is : B'lore --> Tumkur --> ChitraDurga(NH4). NH4 till Chitradurga is 4-lane (with fences in most of the way). Abg speed is around 90km. Distance till chitradurga is around 200km.

At Chitradurga, take SH (which is towards Hospet, Sholaur,etc). This road is single lane with less traffic. Distance till Hampi is 150km(approx).

We started arounf 6.00 from KR-Puram left city arounf 6.40AM and had BF at Kamat's restaurent at Dobspet(60 km from B'lore). Reached Hospet/Hampt by 1PM.

We took KSTDC Hotel at Kamlapuram(near Hampi, 5 km). Hospet is around 10-15 kms. You have ATMs only in Hospet. Not in Hampi.

Before you goto hampi, please Wikimapia - Let's describe the whole world! for Hampi and related map. Also buy Eicher's book about Hampi(This books is really good resource ). You need atleast stay for 2-3 days for fully seeing the all sites at Hampi.

Hi,

You can also see following TBHP link that was raised earlier

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street...pi-travel.html

Team,
Best wishes for a great 2007!!
thanks for all your inputs!! Left Blr on 29th. Was supposed to leave by 2 pm but could only get out of office and on the road by 5 pm and guess what .. cld get out of Blr only by 6.30pm.. on the NH4 the road is smooth and the truck drivers very well behaved. They all drive on the left and immediately move over when they see a vehicle behind them. if this is the GQ, I'm all for it. There is a break in Tumkur in the construction and I got lost in the town!!! this is standard for me. Anything other than a well marked road i get lost and go all over the place which i did. Till i hit a highway and guess what .. it was NOT the NH4!! Finally managed to get back on NH4 phew!! Zipped on the NH4 and remembered Prithvi's recommendation to take the SH but i chickened out coz I cant speak Kannada and was not sure of the route.. (I would regret it!!) Went on and turned on to NH13 to Hospet. This was around 11.30 pm and guess what there were trucks n trucks!! reminded me of the final lines of the poem charge of the light brigade!! Managed to reach Hospet around 1 am and got lost again trying to get the route to Bellary town!!

Finally finally managed to get on the correct road NH63.. but wait a minute, where is the road? This is a dirt road no tarmac and was imported from an off road location where I am the smallest vehicle in the midst of trailer trucks carrying iron ore, sand and who knows what!! the 55km took 2 hours and I finally reached Bellary around 3 am. I regretted not taking Prithvi's advice!
Next morning left for Hampi, through another route which goes through some villages, the Bear Sanctury and tihs was a walk in the park compared to the earlier route and reached Hospet, got accomodation there and yipee things were looking up.
Hampi is awesome!! I am not a fan of old broken down structures but this place is something else. The monuments are sign posted immaculately and the directions (even for me) just perfect. Everywhere u see are huge rocks balancing precariously and the saying is that Hanuman and his gang used to toss them around just for fun!!! And each house seems to be full of history and it was great. The weather was perfect, the company xcellent.. but the only fly in the ointment were the hordes of tourist in buses with music blaring!! But that was expected given the long weekend, easy access to all areas.
Had to get back on Monday but did not want to leave Hampi so left Hospet at 8pm on 31st!! Was 200k from Bangalore when the year changed and celebrated with hot coffee at a dhaba!! Reached back by 2pm without getting lost on the way back!!
Some comments:
- Thanks team for your advice and help.. u guys rock!!
- Go and see Hampi, its worth more than 1 visit.
- here's wishing getting more roads such as the GQ and fast.

Cheers

Hi,
Hats off to your enthu. for driving in unknown area(with less Kannada Knowledge) at nigh time. BTW, are you alone when you went for this trip ?

Great that you went to Hampi. Actually Hampi is 10-15 kms from Hospet. You could have simply stayed at Hospet and next morning you could have seen Hampi.

Roads are:
From Hospet --> Bellary(NH 63) ==> THis trip is unnecessary(and bad rd. coz of Iron ore trucks)
ChitraDurga --> Hospet(NH13) --> Which you have gone and OK road

It is true that this place is worth more than one visit and each visit atleast takes 2 days for full visit.

Hi Suryam, sorry for the dealy but was off to Nagarhole. The original plan was to stay in Hospet but there was no place available but when i tried next morning i got a place in Hospet so that was good.

I like to drive when i go hiking and visiting places and generally have a friend or two with me depending on how they are placed work wise. Last year has been bad as work kept me extremely busy but hopefully will make up this year.

Cheers

Exited about a trip to Hampi next week. We plan to start at 3:00 PM from Bangalore and hope to reach Hospet by 11:00 pm.

Bangalore - Chitradurga - Kudligi - Hospet : Is this the best route or is there an alternative ?

Can someone throw light on the road condition please: ?

Also someone said that the GQ between Bangalore and Chitradurga has many unmarked monster road humps. Is this true and where to watch out for ?

Suggestions for nice spots to eat on the way ? (we are NOT limited to family friendly places)

Any other suggestions ?

Mod's Note: Please carry out a search to find a relevant thread to post, rather than opening a new thread for every query that you have.

Threads merged.

Quote:

Originally Posted by idofsuresh (Post 599769)
Bangalore - Chitradurga - Kudligi - Hospet : Is this the best route or is there an alternative ?

Can someone throw light on the road condition please: ?

Also someone said that the GQ between Bangalore and Chitradurga has many unmarked monster road humps. Is this true and where to watch out for ?

Threads merged.

Ya that the route...
And Blr - Chitradurga is a very good stretch except in Tumkur BP...During my last visit to Goa through that route, only Sira - Chitradurga route only white road markings need to be done in some stretch (I didnt see any humps, I did 100kmph throughout)

I also heard that Chitradurga-Hospet too is a nice 2 laned road but I wonder whether you would prefer a night drive on this stretch...Wouldnt it be a better idea if you start 3AM early morning and reach Hampi by lunch?

Abhi

Roads nearing Hospet is pretty bad mainly due to mine lorries using the route. There is a small ghat section just before you enter Hospet. This starts when the road goes along the TB Dam waters and then climbs up. Should avoid during night time as there's a lot of lorry traffic and there can be a jam if a lorry breaks down.

Other than that roads should be fine. Its a decent two lane from Chitradurga. However please be careful for unknown potholes/speedbreakers.