Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st August 2022, 20:38   #76
BHPian

Re: Long drive in a new car

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarbagna View Post
It seems like an old, but vey informative thread. Always a pleasure to run through & learn from others' experience. Thanks so much!

I have a possible situation at hand & am seeking advice:
  • I am expecting delivery of Nexon XZ+ (Petrol) around September - at Kolkata.
  • I am currently at Kolkata, but will have to move & join work at Bangalore by end of October.
  • While I have explored car transportation services, I am not confident on how good/bad it will eventually be (as I do have horrific past experience).
  • Will it be a good venture to take the new car & travel from Kolkata to Bangalore?
  • If yes - what precautions do I take (I have already noted the guidelines mentioned on the first post of this thread) w.r.t. warming the car up or getting an ahead of time 1st service perhaps?

BTW, I am a light footed driver, who always follow traffic rules & speed limits & will be driving alone.

Thanks in advance for your time & support. 🙏
First of all, congratulations in advance for your new car!

Before I come to the queries you have, have you explored the option of taking the delivery of your new car in Banglore itself? That ways your headache of either transporting / self driving will be eliminated. Additionally, if it's an option, get the BH series number and you won't have to worry about moving back to Kolkata if need arises.

Having that option out of the way, if you already own a car and have put some highway miles on it, then driving down a new car should not be a concern. Just be mindful of the running in process.

If there is a possibility, I would suggest covering around 1k km within Kolkata itself. It would give you sufficient time to settle down with the ergonomics, car behaviour etc. That can go a long way in such a long journey!

All the best and do let us know what you decide on!
ObsessedByFIAT is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st August 2022, 20:52   #77
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsessedByFIAT View Post
First of all, congratulations in advance for your new car!

Before I come to the queries you have, have you explored the option of taking the delivery of your new car in Banglore itself? That ways your headache of either transporting / self driving will be eliminated. Additionally, if it's an option, get the BH series number and you won't have to worry about moving back to Kolkata if need arises.

Having that option out of the way, if you already own a car and have put some highway miles on it, then driving down a new car should not be a concern. Just be mindful of the running in process.

If there is a possibility, I would suggest covering around 1k km within Kolkata itself. It would give you sufficient time to settle down with the ergonomics, car behaviour etc. That can go a long way in such a long journey!

All the best and do let us know what you decide on!
Many thanks for your prompt response & wishes - much appreciated! 🙏
  • Yes, I explored that route - but the challenge itself is with the BH registration - which is not available in Bangalore (Karnataka) for private sector employees. That is why I have opted for BH registration in Kolkata & plan to take it to Bangalore (& I checked if my Kolkata dealer could offer delivery at Bangalore or not - to which they politely declined).
  • Yes - I have earned quite a few highway miles, while frequenting between Mumbai & Pune (& also the surroundings). But those were with my seasoned Honda Brio. Bit concerned about callow Nexon.

I am in absolute agreement on giving the new car its deserved space for the initial 1K (at least). But I am really short on time (as Nexon delivery is around 8-10 weeks window & my joining is end Oct) & that is why I am trying to plan for the possible alternate routes.
sarbagna is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st August 2022, 22:37   #78
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarbagna View Post
I am in absolute agreement on giving the new car its deserved space for the initial 1K (at least). But I am really short on time (as Nexon delivery is around 8-10 weeks window & my joining is end Oct) & that is why I am trying to plan for the possible alternate routes.
As such there should not be any problem in taking a new car for long drive. But suggest you drive the car closer to Kolkata in the highways just to get used to the car and to eliminate any PDI niggles. For that matter whenever I get my car serviced or even wheel alignment / balancing, I ensure I drive 100 to 200 kms in Bangalore express ways at various speeds before I take it on long drives.
sunikkat is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2022, 11:23   #79
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunikkat View Post
As such there should not be any problem in taking a new car for long drive. But suggest you drive the car closer to Kolkata in the highways just to get used to the car and to eliminate any PDI niggles. For that matter whenever I get my car serviced or even wheel alignment / balancing, I ensure I drive 100 to 200 kms in Bangalore express ways at various speeds before I take it on long drives.
Thanks so much! Fully agree & based on the feedbacks, now I am making amends to my plan. I am now thinking of moving to Bangalore without the car, leaving her at Kolkata (for family usage till mid Dec). And then come back & take her to Bangalore.

This will allow:
  • The car to have a steady running at home.
  • I will also be able to use the initial few weeks (hoping the delivery doesn't get delayed) to get accustomed.

Now, need a route map (with proper halts & hotels identified) to get things organized. But there is time & I already noticed a thread explaining Kolkata to Bangalore journey (though it was for 5 days, I will have to cut it short to 3).

Thanks once again - can't thank enough for the support! Cheers!
sarbagna is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th February 2024, 08:32   #80

I am considering a long journey (Bangalore - Coimbatore and back) in my fairly new car. I took the car (i20 Sportz iVT) in the end of Dec and it has done around 300 km till now (only city driving, hybrid working so not a lot of run time).

The first service is due in the end of Feb and I am wondering if I can take the car for the long trip and then do the servicing. This will add a good 700-800 km to the odo or should I do the service first just to be safe? (I will be hiring a driver for the journey).

Thanks in advance for your advice!
Old 6th February 2024, 10:20   #81
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by s_mp View Post
I am wondering if I can take the car for the long trip and then do the servicing. This will add a good 700-800 km to the odo or should I do the service first just to be safe?
No issues as such. The first service anyways is more of an inspection. You only have to follow the break-in instructions which usually says to drive at varying speeds instead of a constant speed. The problem with highway driving is that we often maintain a constant speed.

Here’s the relevant section from the owner’s manual of i20:

Long drive in a new car-img_4100.jpeg
robincsamuel is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks