Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st October 2007, 19:43   #16
BHPian

would suggest the usual keep it with in certain rpm and speed. (with in 80kmph?)

Most important thing is take frequent breaks and keep driving in various speeds 60kmph, 80kmph ) instead of continues 60kmph or 80 kmph
Old 31st October 2007, 20:12   #17
BHPian

Not an ideal situation for a new car. Try to keep the revving under limits, change the rpm frequently, try not to get the car to be revving at constant steady rpms, no hard braking, unless required
Old 31st October 2007, 20:52   #18
BHPian

Just keep the rpm below 2.5k. Don't cruise at the same speed, vary the speed and rpm; You'll be fine. And yeah, minimize hard braking as much as you can.

Run-in on the highway is a good way to run-in the car I read somewhere.

EDIT: The thread Jaggu is referring to is here . Thanks Jaggu.

cya
A

Last edited by Absar : 31st October 2007 at 21:10.
Old 31st October 2007, 21:02   #19
Team-BHP Support

get out and get those kms in.

read the run in thread and follow those instructions. take it slow till you get comfy with the new car.
Old 31st October 2007, 21:14   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunnn View Post
I am getting my new car (UVA) in a day.

Is it advisable to go for a long trip (around 600-700 km total) in a new car. Or would it be better after the first service (1000km)
Like Jaggu says, get out there and get driving. Cars are meant to be driven, not mollycoddled.
Steeroid is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st November 2007, 04:05   #21
Senior - BHPian

I wouldn't advise it.
Old 1st November 2007, 07:54   #22
BHPian

Can first service be delayed?

I have completed nearly 1000 Kms in my Palio . First service is to be done between 1000 KMs-1500Kms. Now I intend to go on a long drive ( nearly 900 Kms two way). So, I can give car for servicing only at around 2000KMs.

Is it OK to delay first service until 2000Kms.?

Dealer says, he has no slot available for servicing in next 2-3 days. Will there be any issues if the car is given for first service at 2000KMs instead of 1500KMs? Will dealer object?
Old 1st November 2007, 14:17   #23
BHPian

I have done a 3000km 12 day road trip in my Adventure the next day I took the delivery. The first 500km I kept the speed below 100kmph, but didnt go beyond 120 even after I clocked first 1000km. (it is frustrating at times to see a 4 lane open road and all you get to watch is the speedo/rpm)

About service also I faced the same issue. The place I went to didnt have a slot free. I called up the FIAT folks and was told that the first service is only a fluid and underbolt checks, no replacements. So I serviced the vehicle after I got back. No issues.
Old 1st November 2007, 14:43   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by determinus View Post
I have done a 3000km 12 day road trip in my Adventure the next day I took the delivery. The first 500km I kept the speed below 100kmph, but didnt go beyond 120 even after I clocked first 1000km. (it is frustrating at times to see a 4 lane open road and all you get to watch is the speedo/rpm)

About service also I faced the same issue. The place I went to didnt have a slot free. I called up the FIAT folks and was told that the first service is only a fluid and underbolt checks, no replacements. So I serviced the vehicle after I got back. No issues.
But doesn't not servicing the car at the right intervals void warranty?? Also what is the safe bet here? Say my car needs to be serviced at 1000 km mark. Give and take how much, to keep the warranty thing going?
Old 1st November 2007, 15:38   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefreak View Post
But doesn't not servicing the car at the right intervals void warranty?? Also what is the safe bet here? Say my car needs to be serviced at 1000 km mark. Give and take how much, to keep the warranty thing going?
I would suggest not to take chances, a 50km + or - should be ok. otherwise these service guys could be quite picky at times and assume something goes wrong, they will always look for reasons
Old 1st November 2007, 15:46   #26
BHPian

Don't they change engine oil in the first service? I thought the first oil change takes care of the metal filings that are a result of the running-in period?
Old 1st November 2007, 17:19   #27
Senior - BHPian

Service Under Limits

Hai,

It's advisable to do the servicie checks within the milage and on time, can be earlier not later. I've know Hundai and Ford kicking up a fuss and saying the guarantee is void because of delayed service and missing the deadline though I was bang within the milage norms when it came to change of faulty gear box on my Santro. Same case with Ford for replacement of A/C condenser which was not working properly.

At last after a lot of letters and heartache, they gave in. I would'n't want to go through this hassle again, will keep to deadlines strictly.

Technically they can refuse if you miss the deadlines.

Happy Driving,

--Ramky
Old 1st November 2007, 20:07   #28
BHPian

In my view, one should go for a 400-500 km trip witin a couple of days after taking thedelivery.Before moving out check oil/ coolant levels, nut/bolt tightness, gaskets/ hoses & air filter.( My cousin got his Accent delivered with a loose air filter cap )
As suggested by fellow bhpians, keep the revvs under limits.
A long trip initially helps the car for the long run as one can drive under varying conditions.Whereas in normal city driving we are forced to drive as per the pace of traffic ( bumper to bumper with lot of clutch pressing & driving in lower gears)
Actually, one should run in the car as much as possible for the first 2 services to happen quickly.
Old 4th November 2007, 12:04   #29
Senior - BHPian

Wow, lots of mixed advices. I cant resist opening up the car on long stretches, i would play it safe and go for short trips (just for kicks) say 100-120 on weekends and just loaf around the city, take the long route home, so that the second service would be over within 45 days of taking delivery of the car, once that is over, it would be good to go on a long trip.

but thats just me, depends on how you run in your car.
Old 4th November 2007, 19:19   #30
Senior - BHPian

While it is true that nowadays all modern cars are already run-in after production and technically are ready to scoot as soon as they are sold, the fact remains that these are done on a preset benchmark conditions at the factory.

The real baptism happens on the roads where each individual driver has his/her own peculiar way of driving a car.

Personally I feel that in a new car one should follow the run-in period espoused in the manual as this gives the driver the feel and hang of his/her new acquisition and car parts too get road-tested.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2L8uLoose View Post
Don't agree with you @Irag.
Got delivery of my Skoda at 12 pm.. left for a 1200 km trip at 1230... there's absolutely NO ISSUES about taking a new car on a trip the moment you get it.. might I add that there's nothing more fun either.
BUTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT
You need to take it easy.. you cant drive like a loonie from the get go.
Cheers and enjoy your new car.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks