Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd October 2011, 12:32   #16
Senior - BHPian

re: Pune -> Nasik Road Trip

Hello All,

I'm driving from Pune to Deolali on Oct 28 with a 1 PM start, and would like your inputs about both the routes discussed in the posts above.

With respect to traffic density & road conditions, would the Pune-Mumbai-Nasik route be a better option or the regular Pune-Nasik route via Rajgurunagar-Narayangaon-Sangamner-Sinnar? If it's the former, apart from Shil Phata-Dombivli-Kalyan, is there any alternative route to joining the Mumbai-Nasik highway? I don't mind driving 50-75 kms more if it means having a relaxed and hassle free drive.

Thanks in advance!

Cheers,
Vikram
Old 19th November 2012, 17:13   #17
BHPian

re: Pune -> Nasik Road Trip

Hi, I did a Pune-Nasik round trip last week. Started 5.00 AM from Hadapsar on Saturday 17 Nov and Reached Nashik 8.30 AM. Total time taken was 3 hours and 30 minutes (including 20 minutes break for tea). Return trip: started from Nasik at 11 AM and reached Hadapsar Pune at 4 PM on Sunday 18 Nov. Total time taken 5 hours (including two half hour breaks). If you start before dawn on this route, you’ll find moderate traffic just before destination, and you’ll cover most of the most of the traffic prone areas like Ghats and Villages (Sangamner and Narayangaon Bus-stop area) smoothly. If you observe carefully excluding breaks the actual time on day one was 3.10 hours and the return 4 hours. The return should have been longer but there was less traffic may be because of the funeral of Shri. Balasaheb Thackeray as most of the shops and restaurants along the highway were closed.
Old 12th December 2012, 18:26   #18
BHPian

Tried Pune to Nasik via kalyan/thane

Pune to Nasik via kalyan/thane
Those who are frequent travelers on NH50 Nasik pune road are better aware of the pain of this route
Current NH50 Nasik to pune via sangamner, naranygaon is a painful single lane road , its double lane from Rajgurunager to pune only , for appx. 30 km and rest 170 kms is single lane
During long holidays, marriage seasons, festivals its takes more than 6 hrs and this journey to Nasik never ends , very boring and tiring journey due to single road and sangamener to nasik , last stretch , never ends
so many frequent travelers are now trying alternate route via kalyan

Advantage via thane/Kalyan route
1. Entire road is 4 way till nasik
2. Pune to shilphata(kalyan) is on expressway
3. From kalyan to nasik is also 4 way
4. Less traffic due to multiple lanes
5. Saves time around 30 mins
6. comfortable driving since no need to change gears again and again
7. IF you are staying anywhere between katraj/kothrud till baner , its easy to get on expressway , so no need to cross the city to reach nasik phata/bhosari
8. No need to cross cities like sangamnre/narayagaon , crossing sangamner is a big pain
9. No ghats , on current NH50 there are 5-6 small ghats sections till sangamener

Disadvantage via thane/kalyane route
1. Distance is around 75 km more
2. Toll for expressway and nasik-mumbai highway
Total Rs. 165+ Rs 90 + Rs. 25 = Rs. 280 but on NH50 it is only Rs. 25
3. Need to cross kalyan city (shivaji chowk)
and during peak traffic period its takes around 1 hr to cross entire kalyan ciry (from shil phata till nasik-mumbai highway)
I personally liked this alternative route as it is comfortable for driver and save some time , specially during weekends when NH50 is jammed
google shows route via mumbra and suggest no need to take kalyan city and proceed till thane and then conenct to mubai-pune road but i never tried that , so is anybody tried bypassing kalyan and take this route or any other route to reach pune ?
sandeep joshi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th March 2013, 09:59   #19
BHPian

re: Pune - Nasik : Route Queries

Is the Sangamner bypass road open or still painful to navigate the traffic in Sangamner for travel between Nasik-Pune
Old 9th March 2013, 14:35   #20
Senior - BHPian

Re: Tried Pune to Nasik via kalyan/thane

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeep joshi View Post
Pune to Nasik via kalyan/thane
Sorry to be reviving old threads, but the latest developments on the roads must be noted to warn the travellers.

The Pune - Kalyan route is not on the e-way, the e-way ends at Panvel. To reach Kalyan, one must exit the expressway a few kilometres before it ends, and then from the circle under the e-way, drive towards Shil Phata, via Taloja. This route is nowadays full of heavy vehicle traffic. On my last four journeys on this road, I have wasted about half an hour in traffic every single time.

Post Shil phata, the journey would be a lot smoother till Dombivli, where barring the toll plaza you could maintain a decent 70kmph speed. Post Dombivli as you enter Kalyan, you will take anywhere from 20 minutes to 45 minutes to cross through the town and reach the Mumbai - Nashik highway.

Most travellers may be aware of Kalyan being a potential bottleneck, however the Panvel - Taloja - Shil route too has of late become a bottleneck.
Old 9th March 2013, 17:32   #21
BHPian

^^ Yes I concur with this.
Last 2-3 visits via this route in last couple of weeks were not so good experiences, especially the Kalyan city traffic and crossing Kalyan was a pain. Also to note the number of speed breakers and their huge size were difficult to negotiate with my fully loaded ANHC.
Old 1st June 2013, 22:23   #22

Driving from Pune to Nashik is a big pain these days. Leave or reach before the day starts. Frequent minor accidents lead to road jams and then you had it. Why is it called a National Highway?
Old 1st June 2013, 22:35   #23

Start your journey early mornings and reach before day starts. It is a big pain to drive on this route. Roads are narrow, road condition at Rajgurunagar, Peth, Narayangaon & Sangamner is bad. Many blind curves and narrow bridges make the journey worst. Avoid overtaking unless you are very sure you can complete the overtake. Minor accidents on the road make the journey more miserable. Be more careful from Punjab & Rajasthan heavy truckers. For family halt, restaurant outside Champange India between Narayangaon & Ale phata is good choice. I feel it is better than Daulat or Kamat Restaurant.

Finally, Why is this road rated a National Highway?
Old 24th March 2014, 13:04   #24
BHPian

A friend of mine needs to travel to Nasik later this week.

Any updates on the current road conditions of the Pune - Nasik road and whether it will be a better and less stressful choice to drive via Thane/Kalyan?
Old 24th March 2014, 13:16   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGNarain View Post

Any updates on the current road conditions of the Pune - Nasik road and whether it will be a better and less stressful choice to drive via Thane/Kalyan?
Last I drove was in July-Aug 2013. Road conditions are nothing to complain about. If you can ensure smart start (say very early morning), it wont take much time (and effort) to cross various towns and villages enroute and will also have less private traffic too.
Old 24th March 2014, 23:38   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGNarain View Post

It all depends on what time your friend will be driving.
In my last India visit in late Nov '13, I drove from Nashik to Pune. It was an overnight drive. Started at 12 midnight and reached Pune at 4AM. No traffic problem.

Then took this highway again couple of days later, while going to Malshej ghat from Pune. It was during late morning. Traffic was very bad. Took me 6 hrs to reach Malshej, 3 of which was spent stuck in traffic.

My suggestion would be to leave late at night. Safety is not a issue as there is constantly running traffic at all hours. Road condition is pretty decent with almost no potholes, speedbreakers, etc.
ApriliaNut is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th March 2014, 14:14   #27
BHPian

I drive from Pune to Nasik (230 kms) about 3-4 times a year. I always take Pune - Nasik route and don't go via Mumbai as I enjoy any single lane, winding roads. The travel generally takes about 4.30 to 5.00 hrs, home to home, with one break en-route. It is difficult to reduce the travel time due to traffic in several towns/villages and the single lane roads where overtaking is difficult. Road surface is not bad except for a few patches.

One can beat Pune/Bhosari/Chakan traffic if one leaves very early in the morning. Do avoid speeding up and taking unnecessary risks while overtaking.
Old 25th March 2014, 16:08   #28
BHPian

So here's the thing! I have to drive to Indore but have to pick up few people in Nasik, so Pune Nasik has to be done.

I will be at work on Thursday and can leave earliest by 4 pm. Is that time adequate to get me to Nasik by 10 pm, stay overnight and leave early morning to reach Indore by Noon.

Secondly - I don't mind night driving, so how safe/easy is it to leave Nasik post dinner and reach Indore by morning.
Old 25th March 2014, 16:46   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmxylorider View Post
So here's the thing! I have to drive to Indore but have to pick up few people in Nasik, so Pune Nasik has to be done.

I will be at work on Thursday and can leave earliest by 4 pm. Is that time adequate to get me to Nasik by 10 pm, stay overnight and leave early morning to reach Indore by Noon.

Secondly - I don't mind night driving, so how safe/easy is it to leave Nasik post dinner and reach Indore by morning.
I would recommend that you leave by 4.00 PM from Pune. That way you could avoid evening rush hours on Pune side, as also reach Nasik around 9.00 PM -- so that you could sleep well and leave for Indore early next morning.

I have never driven to Indore from Nasik, hence I can't comment on that sector though.
Musaafir is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th March 2014, 17:50   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmxylorider View Post

Pune to Nashik via NH 50 is bad.

If you are planning to drive from Nashik to Indore, i would advise Night driving as it is 4-lane toll road , safe and without any issues whatsoever. Should take you max 7 hours.

However at the end of the road, there are 3 ghats which have heavy truck traffic between 02 am and 04 am. though the same would be bothersome for maximum of 2 kms. Drive Safe
bhavtol is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks