Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd October 2021, 08:51   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Chennai > Sringeri > Goa > Mumbai route advice needed

I did Bangalore Mumbai recently and ended my day 1 at Satara well before dusk.

Hubli Dharwad section is quite a treacherous 2 lane road without a median and a test to one's patience and alertness, otherwise KA side of the drive is pure bliss

The stretch from Satara till Pune is bad in terms of progress (traffic) and road condition (markings, medians are not confidence inspiring). Please be mindful of slow moving (autos/bikes) local commuter traffic from Kolhapur all the way till Pune exit/expressway. The time of the day that you traverse Pune will significantly impact your progress

I resumed early morning from Satara 6:00 and reached Mumbai (Chembur) by 10:30. This very stretch during return at peak hours took 50% more time

Last edited by GeeTee TSI : 23rd October 2021 at 09:03.
GeeTee TSI is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2021, 12:18   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeeTee TSI View Post
I did Bangalore Mumbai recently and ended my day 1 at Satara well before dusk.

Hubli Dharwad section is quite a treacherous 2 lane road without a median and a test to one's patience and alertness, otherwise KA side of the drive is pure bliss

The stretch from Satara till Pune is bad in terms of progress (traffic) and road condition (markings, medians are not confidence inspiring). Please be mindful of slow moving (autos/bikes) local commuter traffic from Kolhapur all the way till Pune exit/expressway. The time of the day that you traverse Pune will significantly impact your progress

I resumed early morning from Satara 6:00 and reached Mumbai (Chembur) by 10:30. This very stretch during return at peak hours took 50% more time

While crossing the Maharashtra Karnataka border there is checking for vehicle documents.

The Hubli Dharwad stretch is dangerous at night with heavy vehicles attempting overtakes and you have to be extremely cautious.

I agree on the road conditions between satara and pune, I bent my front left rim while driving from Mumbai to Chennai and the roads are dangerously potholed, lack marking for speed breakers and to top it all some really unruly two wheelers and tractors.

That satara to chembur time is !
t3ofil4us is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2021, 21:59   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stribog View Post
Hey BHPIAN's,

On the maps Goa Mumbai shows a daunting 12 hours / 573 kms drive.

Questions -

1 - Does it really take that long? In TN I usually cover Chennai Theni (a similar distance) in less than 7 hours incl breaks.

2 - Can it be done nonstop? I usually don't like driving more than 10 hours in a day.

3 - Is a stay in between recommended? Or should I just push my rule a wee bit and make it in a day

7 - In general how good / bad are the roads in this route?
Yes Goa - Mumbai does take long because the direct coastal NH66 is not 4/6 laned and hence the longer route via Pune is the faster route. This route also involves crossing the western ghats so it takes time. But it can easily be done in a day.

I had driven from Goa to Pune a few weeks back with my Creta so I can help you with this part.

From Goa, you first need to go to Belgaum. You have 2 options for this - either go via Anmod ghat or Chorla ghat. The distance is almost the same on both the routes while the road condition on the Chorla ghat route is slightly better. The Anmod ghat stretch itself is in brilliant condition with not a single pothole but the Anmod - Bhimgad - Khanapur stretch after that is narrow and parts of that road are heavily pothole ridden. Depending on where in Goa you start from, you will take at least 2.5 to 3 hours to reach Belgaum and join NH48.

Once on NH48 at Belgaum, if you maintain a steady clip of 100-110, you can reach Pune in about 4-4.5 hours at the earliest. The highway is in excellent shape in the Karnataka stretch from Belgaum to Kolhapur. Kolhapur - Satara also is fine but watch out for potholes on the Satara - Pune stretch and be prepared for vehicles suddenly slowing down or changing lanes to dodge them.

For the Pune - Mumbai run, I'm sure our Pune/Mumbai members will be able to guide you perfectly.

Speaking of my drive, I had started from my home in Goa at around 6:45am. Stopped for breakfast just after joining NH48 at Belgaum at 9:15am. Started at 9:45am and was in Pune by 2:15pm with no halts after Belgaum.
AdvanceStarter is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks