Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st October 2021, 11:33   #1
BHPian

Chennai > Sringeri > Goa > Mumbai route advice needed

Hey BHPIAN's,

Need some guidance / advise on this route (am super confused looking at Gmaps).

I would be driving down to Mumbai (solo, Kia Seltos Diesel if this info is useful)

Chennai Sringeri I do regularly so am good with that.

It is the Sringeri > Goa > Mumbai leg am confused about.

On the maps Goa Mumbai shows a daunting 12 hours / 573 kms drive.

Questions -

1 - Does it really take that long? In TN I usually cover Chennai Theni (a similar distance) in less than 7 hours incl breaks.

2 - Can it be done nonstop? I usually don't like driving more than 10 hours in a day.

3 - Is a stay in between recommended? Or should I just push my rule a wee bit and make it in a day

4- I need to travel to Andheri West so what is a good time to enter the city so that I don't face crazy traffic (would leaving Goa at around 10 AM help? Reach Navi Mumbai by around 8 PM, dinner and then enter the city proper by 9 PM? or leave a bit later? Earlier? I would prefer to not drive post midnight which is my cut off.

5 - Interesting places (veg) to eat enroute from Sringeri > Goa > Mumbai

6 - Could I include a stop in the Mahalakshmi temple in Kohlapur without much impact on the timings?

7 - In general how good / bad are the roads in this route?
Stribog is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st October 2021, 11:54   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: Chennai > Sringeri > Goa > Mumbai route advice needed

Sringeri to Goa (South Goa) I would imagine would take a minimum of 7 hours. Once you get down the hills and hit the coastal roads, it should be a breeze, from Kundapura onwards, to Goa.

This stretch has plenty of food options. I don’t recall anything in particular, but I do remember seeing a lot on the coastal roads.

6. The Mahalaxmi temple at Kolhapur is about 7 km’s off the highway. It would take a little less than 15 mins to reach and find a parking slot. The quick Darshan and exit from the temple would be 15 mins tops and you can get back to the highway in 15. So, pls budget an hour for the temple visit.
jkrishnakj is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 21st October 2021, 12:08   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stribog View Post
1 - Does it really take that long? In TN I usually cover Chennai Theni (a similar distance) in less than 7 hours incl breaks.
Crossing Western ghats. High density MH traffic and crossing Pune will come into play. If you optimize Kolhapur-Pune to drive in noon-4pm timeframe, you can get away with the latter 2 factors.

Madras-Theni is a flat terrain.

Quote:
2 - Can it be done nonstop? I usually don't like driving more than 10 hours in a day.
Yes. You'll probably be on MPEW at the 10 hour mark. So makes no sense to put a stay.

Quote:
6 - Could I include a stop in the Mahalakshmi temple in Kohlapur without much impact on the timings?
Kolhapur is a messy place to drive. With all the restrictions you have mentioned, I wouldn't try to insert Kolhapur Mahalaxmi in-between such a drive. You can try on Bombay-Madras return.

Quote:
Discussed here (Mumbai - Pune - Kolhapur - Goa : Route Queries).
narayans80 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 21st October 2021, 12:58   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkrishnakj View Post
Sringeri to Goa (South Goa) I would imagine would take a minimum of 7 hours. Once you get down the hills and hit the coastal roads, it should be a breeze, from Kundapura onwards, to Goa.

This stretch has plenty of food options. I don’t recall anything in particular, but I do remember seeing a lot on the coastal roads.

6. The Mahalaxmi temple at Kolhapur is about 7 km’s off the highway. It would take a little less than 15 mins to reach and find a parking slot. The quick Darshan and exit from the temple would be 15 mins tops and you can get back to the highway in 15. So, pls budget an hour for the temple visit.
Thanks, this is most helpful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayans80 View Post
Crossing Western ghats. High density MH traffic and crossing Pune will come into play. If you optimize Kolhapur-Pune to drive in noon-4pm timeframe, you can get away with the latter 2 factors.

Madras-Theni is a flat terrain.

Thanks and yes, silly of me, the terrain makes a big difference.
Old 21st October 2021, 14:30   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Sringeri to Goa via Agumbe ghat and coastal route post that should be a breeze. I did the Sringeri-Agumbe ghat-Udupi in Jan this year and the roads were in great condition. Check the Mangalore - Udupi thread for latest updates on the condition of the ghat sections.

Quote:

3 - Is a stay in between recommended? Or should I just push my rule a wee bit and make it in a day
Easily possible to do it in a day - several bhpians have done Goa - Mumbai numerous times (and so have I). A few pointers

a. Leave early from Goa and hit the best route possible to NH48; generally a flip between Amboli ghat or Chorla ghat, check the Bombay-Goa thread for latest updates.

b. Try to plan it so you do this drive on a weekday, better as you'll see lesser tourist traffic heading back to Pune/Mumbai.

c. As rightly mentioned by others, Kolhapur - Pune stretch is a pain with heavy 2 wheeler and tractor traffic clogging the 4 line highway. It's sugarcane season so you'll probably see a lot of tractors carrying sugarcane loads around that stretch. Ideal time is to go early morning or in the afternoon (which is possible if you leave Goa in the early morning).

d. You'll see crazy Mumbai traffic from Panvel itself, from 6 pm onwards to 10pm. So doubt you have a choice there, considering you need to cross Navi Mumbai areas as well as Central Mumbai suburbs to reach Andheri West. I'd suggest taking a halt at Navi Mumbai (e.g. Panvel/Kharghar) for a long dinner till night (~9.30pm) and then do the last stretch to avoid the major set of traffic in Mumbai suburbs. You'll probably reach Andheri west by 11ish.

e. No idea on the Mahalakshmi temple - hopefully others will advise you on that. My suggestion: get in and out of Kolhapur-Satara section the fastest you can.
ninjatalli is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st October 2021, 14:53   #6
BHPian

@Stribog: Goa-Mumbai time depends a lot on where in Mumbai you intend to go to. If it’s Navi Mumbai, you won’t face too much trouble and will be able to do the drive in 10 hours easily with breaks. The last time I did the full stretch (Goa to Mumbai airport), it took me 13 hours. I reached Navi Mumbai around 4.15pm and it took two hours to reach the airport from there due to some nasty traffic snarls.

If you can start early, you’ll be able to reach Navi Mumbai around 3pm and then it should be smooth with minimal risk of traffic snarls.

A few small points:

1. Avoid Amboli route now. The roads to and from the ghat are in poor shape.

2. Chorla has its few bad patches but it remains the smoothest route out of Goa. As a plus, you get to stay on KA highways for longer on this route. Amboli takes you through Maharashtra, which is known for bad roads.

3. Belgaum to Satara is a relatively good stretch and you’ll be able to make good time here. You can check out Hotel Ramdev in Belgaum for affordable and good breakfast or Tumkur Tatte Idli, which is in a lane opposite Ramdev. Hotel Ramdev has excellent parking spaces and there’s a Shell petrol pump right next door, which is why it’s my favourite stop.

4. Hotel Sai International post Kolhapur is a good place to stop for food. But it’ll be on the opposite side so you’ll have to keep that in mind. It has clean washrooms and decent food.

5. Satara to Pune is in bad shape right now with random craters in the fast lane and lots of slow moving traffic, particularly trucks all round.

6. If you have time to spare, you can check out Shrimant Misal in Pune for a meal. They serve a misal pav thali, which is a local delicacy although some will say it’s more of a breakfast/snack meal rather than something you’d want around 12-2pm. On Google Maps it’s called “Shrimant Misal Aani Barech Kahi”. It’s a bit of a detour but well worth it for a good meal. Try the most expensive thali (₹200) and you won’t be disappointed.

7. Pune to Navi Mumbai is straightforward but be aware that the speed limit is very strictly enforced here. 100kmph is the limit and there are cameras under bridges, near tunnels, and on random poles.

8. Navi Mumbai to your destination is a total lottery. Don’t hesitate to break your journey at this point if you’re running late. Mumbai traffic can get to the most patient among us.

9. Last but not the least, mentally prepare yourself for bad roads and horribly expensive tolls in Maharashtra. Every time I go to any neighbouring state, I keep wondering what exactly it is that I’m paying toll in MH for. All roads are perennially terrible and all tolls are extremely expensive. Goa has no tolls and lovely roads in all seasons except monsoons. MP, KA, and GJ have butter smooth highways with less expensive tolls.

If you need any further suggestions, please feel free to DM. I’ll be more than happy to keep in touch because your experience will help me a little later when I plan to drive to Chennai to meet some friends and family.

Last edited by Crow : 21st October 2021 at 14:56.
Crow is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 21st October 2021, 15:45   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
Sringeri to Goa via Agumbe ghat and coastal route post that should be a breeze. I did the Sringeri-Agumbe ghat-Udupi in Jan this year and the roads were in great condition. Check the Mangalore - Udupi thread for latest updates on the condition of the ghat sections.

d. You'll see crazy Mumbai traffic from Panvel itself, from 6 pm onwards to 10pm. So doubt you have a choice there, considering you need to cross Navi Mumbai areas as well as Central Mumbai suburbs to reach Andheri West. I'd suggest taking a halt at Navi Mumbai (e.g. Panvel/Kharghar) for a long dinner till night (~9.30pm) and then do the last stretch to avoid the major set of traffic in Mumbai suburbs. You'll probably reach Andheri west by 11ish.

e. No idea on the Mahalakshmi temple - hopefully others will advise you on that. My suggestion: get in and out of Kolhapur-Satara section the fastest you can.
Thanks for your inputs, most useful. I love the Agumbe Twisties also, but the most i Have gotten is till Marudeshwar, first time am pushing beyond that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crow View Post
@Stribog: Goa-Mumbai time depends a lot on where in Mumbai you intend to go to. If it’s Navi Mumbai, you won’t face too much trouble and will be able to do the drive in 10 hours easily with breaks. The last time I did the full stretch (Goa to Mumbai airport), it took me 13 hours. I reached Navi Mumbai around 4.15pm and it took two hours to reach the airport from there due to some nasty traffic snarls.

If you can start early, you’ll be able to reach Navi Mumbai around 3pm and then it should be smooth with minimal risk of traffic snarls.

A few small points:

1. Avoid Amboli route now. The roads to and from the ghat are in poor shape.

9. Last but not the least, mentally prepare yourself for bad roads and horribly expensive tolls in Maharashtra. Every time I go to any neighbouring state, I keep wondering what exactly it is that I’m paying toll in MH for. All roads are perennially terrible and all tolls are extremely expensive. Goa has no tolls and lovely roads in all seasons except monsoons. MP, KA, and GJ have butter smooth highways with less expensive tolls.

If you need any further suggestions, please feel free to DM. I’ll be more than happy to keep in touch because your experience will help me a little later when I plan to drive to Chennai to meet some friends and family.
Thanks, so Chorla route it is, will manually choose it on Gmaps.

Good insights and will DM you, I will give you the full download once I reach so you can plan your trip to Chennai (when do you think this will be? Around March am planning my return, so if it is then, we can even 2 car convoy it)

Will definitely check out the shell bunk hotel, as I also prefer fuelling up in Shell and a mid highway shell stop is a good thing.

One more follow up question though, I have no agenda either in Goa or Mumbai that week. So instead of leaving early, assume I leave by say...11 AM, would it help beat the worst of Mumbai traffic if I enter Navi Mumbai by 9 PM, and then have a nice long dinner and then leave by 10 PM for Andheri?
Old 21st October 2021, 15:56   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
One more follow up question though, I have no agenda either in Goa or Mumbai that week. So instead of leaving early, assume I leave by say...11 AM, would it help beat the worst of Mumbai traffic if I enter Navi Mumbai by 9 PM, and then have a nice long dinner and then leave by 10 PM for Andheri?
Terrible idea in my view. You leave Goa at 11, you will hit terrible traffic crossing Pune, and it will be tough to make Navi Mumbai by 9. Best to start as early as possible from Goa (6 am) and try and reach Navi Mumbai by 330 PM (very doable), and get to Andheri by 5. If you get to Navi Mumbai by 3 or 330, you can use the BKC connector to cross to the Western side - if it is much later (say reaching near BKC by 6), you will be stuck badly.

Last edited by Hayek : 21st October 2021 at 15:59.
Hayek is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st October 2021, 16:04   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Hey BHPIAN's,

Chennai Sringeri I do regularly so am good with that.
May I ask on the route which you regularly take for Sringeri from Chennai? I am planning for a trip and would help to plan.
Old 21st October 2021, 16:10   #10
Senior - BHPian

Another point to mention, please take a PUC before you start from Madras. And carry all originals: DL, RC, Insurance, PUC.

Quote:
I leave by say...11 AM, would it help beat the worst of Mumbai traffic if I enter Navi Mumbai by 9 PM, and then have a nice long dinner and then leave by 10 PM for Andheri?
Its not just Bombay metropolis traffic that will be a challenge. Kolhapur-Pune bypass traffic is a huge factor, which can make/break travel times. If you time Kolhapur around 1230 pm, you should reach Pune bypass ~ 3 hours.

At morning/evening peak hours, it can be as bad as 5-6 hours. Am not even considering peak travel days here. Experienced it once in 2018, from then I always cross MH in odd times or avoid NH4 entirely

Last edited by narayans80 : 21st October 2021 at 16:13.
narayans80 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st October 2021, 16:23   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by concorde24 View Post
May I ask on the route which you regularly take for Sringeri from Chennai? I am planning for a trip and would help to plan.
All times including breaks.

Chennai > Bangalore (approx 5 hours)

Bangalore > Hassan via Nice road (3 hours) - stop at Hosyala Village resort for a lunch (somehow it has been tradition now in my family to halt here)

Roads are brilliant ALONG this entire stretch, my last trip on this route was in Jan last year and I don't think I hit a single pot hole this entire 550 odd kms.

You can stop at Shoolagiri also just out of Bangalore for food and just blast past Hassan, but I prefer a nice break around 8 hours into driving.

The final stretch is the challenging one, roads are typically decent (but the odd pothole will crop up suddenly) and is also the ghat section.

Hassan > Sringeri via Balehanour - about 2 hrs 45 mins to 3 hrs.

If you leave by around 0530 AM from Chennai, you can reach Sringeri by around 1530-1730 (depending on how leisurely you drive).

I tend to not trust the fuel pump in Sringeri (there is one BP and HP bunk there) so I fuel up in Hassan on my way up and back down.

If you go in the period Nov - Feb, it is a lovely drive.

If you wish though you can take small detours - like hit Halebidu after Hassan or take the longer Chikmaglur route. But these are not 'efficient' and the straight route I mentioned is the most optimum.

if you are travelling with elders, then do a halt in Electronic city, breaking up your journey but then these are options you can best plan out knowing your own needs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayans80 View Post
Another point to mention, please take a PUC before you start from Madras. And carry all originals: DL, RC, Insurance, PUC.

Its not just Bombay metropolis traffic that will be a challenge. Kolhapur-Pune bypass traffic is a huge factor, which can make/break travel times. If you time Kolhapur around 1230 pm, you should reach Pune bypass ~ 3 hours. At morning/evening peak hours, it can be as bad as 5-6 hours. Am not even considering peak travel days here.
Understood, most replies are warning me that this Kohlapur / Pune is the challenge, and even Mumbai can be managed.

PUC? that is a new word for me, but seen it in Mumbai all the time, but thanks for the headsup will get this done before I leave.

And originals? With digital locker I thought one needn't carry it but will anyways carry my originals as I will be moving to Mumbai and might as well have them with me.

edit - Thanks Hayek, will do as you suggest as that seems to be the general consensus.

Concorde, hit me up on DM if you need specific assistance on the Chennai > Sringeri route or even help in Sringeri. Been driving on this route by myself from 2004 on, and prior to that used to go with family, with dad doing the driving duties from the mid 90's on so am very familiar with it.

Last edited by Stribog : 21st October 2021 at 16:25.
Stribog is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st October 2021, 16:54   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
PUC?
This (PUC - Pollution Under Control ?) fellow.

If you live near Tiruvanmiyur, there's a IOC on LB Road that does online PUC (means it will show up on your mParivahan RC record). This is where I've been getting done last 2 years

I used to get it done from Shanti petrol pump opposite airport before, but I don't know if they do online PUC or not yet.
narayans80 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st October 2021, 18:00   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Questions -

Goa to Mumbai will certainly take 11-12 hours for sure taking the Kolhapur option.

Quote:
Goa-Mumbai can very well be done non-stop.

Quote:
If you are an early riser, you can very well do this in a stretch by starting from Goa around 0400/0500. If you start later to 1100, you may want to halt at Satara (Pune will be too close to Mumbai while Kolhapur can be close to Goa)

Quote:
4- I need to travel to Andheri West so what is a good time to enter the city so that I don't face crazy traffic (would leaving Goa at around 10 AM help? Reach Navi Mumbai by around 8 PM, dinner and then enter the city proper by 9 PM? or leave a bit later? Earlier? I would prefer to not drive post midnight which is my cut off.
Better off reaching destination before peak evening traffic for which you must start from Goa by 0400/0500 only.

Quote:
Would really depend on the day of travel and the timings at the temple as well as the time spent at the temple.

Quote:
Route to Sringeri via Chikmagalur or Belur/Aldur remains in good share.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
Chikmagalur to Sringeri via Aldur/Belehonnur/Jayapura:
Sringeri to Agumbe and then Baindoor also is good.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chethan.ram View Post
The Agumbe Ghat section is good except on the hairpins, but it is very much manageable. The roads are little patchy for about 5 kms after you descend till Hotel Seetanadi. After that it’s pretty nice. As you are about to reach Manipal a small section of about 200 meters or so is really bad, but it is absolutely okay to drive there.
Once you hit the coastal Cochin - Panvel highway, road conditions till Goa and beyond are good. I returned from Goa to Bangalore taking the coastal highway till Padubidri (Udupi) last Thursday.
- 4 lane work fully complete till Bhatkal
- All towns like Bhatkal, Honnavara, Kumta have bypasses that are undone but roads are still good
- Between Ankola & Karwar, 4 lane work is 60% complete with quite a few deviations but nothing to worry in terms of road conditions
- Karwar to Palolem till Madgaon: Patchy roads but very well manageable in any car
- Madgaon to Panaji: 4 lane expansion and bridge work in progress and hence at many sections you may encounter traffic snarls but still not that bad. You will average not more than 35-40 kmph after Madgaon during the day time
Goa to Kolhapur - All the latest update from this post onwards.
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st October 2021, 19:08   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Route to Sringeri via Chikmagalur or Belur/Aldur remains in good share.
Belur to Aldur is a strict no in a Sedan as I had a terrible time crossing the route last month with lot of potholes. The route via Chickmagalur is under construction but atleast, it won’t hurt the chassis.

Last edited by Jaggu : 21st October 2021 at 19:15. Reason: Fixing quote tags, please Preview before posting.
Old 21st October 2021, 19:19   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CArspeed View Post
Belur to Aldur is a strict no in a Sedan as I had a terrible time crossing the route last month with lot of potholes. The route via Chickmagalur is under construction but atleast, it won’t hurt the chassis.
Chickmagalur to Mudigere road is under construction till Aldur turn off. The link I posted above has the same updates.
Quote:
Chikmagalur to Sringeri via Aldur/Belehonnur/Jayapura:
  1. Except for the road expansion work that is in progress for 10km from Chikmagalur town on Mudigere road, the roads remain excellent all the way till Sringeri.
However, even Belur to Chikkamagaluru is not that in great shape, especially Bennur Gadi to Magadi Handpost (10 km).

Belur Gendehalli for Aldur has always remained a mixed bag. This route has not much traffic except timber lorries during this season that ruin the roads overnight.

Last edited by paragsachania : 21st October 2021 at 19:21.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks