Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th February 2022, 14:14   #1
BHPian

Camping sites thread

I do not see any thread dedicated to information on camping sites in India. With camping style of travel getting more interest in India, it would be good if people who have information on where we can find good camping sites share that information here so that it becomes one stop place when one looks for camping sites across India.
In my opinion a good camping site should have basic amenities like, bathroom/toilets, open kitchen/canteen, safe camping ground with fence. And of-course camp site with a view.

Last edited by thirugata : 15th February 2022 at 20:09.
thirugata is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 16th February 2022, 10:20   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Camping sites thread

Thread moved out from the Assembly Line!
Old 16th February 2022, 10:48   #3
BHPian

I hope you have seen campmonk website and wild country app. They seem to be a good start but still a ways to go to being really useful

regards
vkiran_2000 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th February 2022, 10:55   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

From what I have seen and observed, independent camping sites are still not present and one needs to coordinate with either locals or hotels that allow camping. So, we can also share and have a list of hotels etc also that allow camping.

Few off-beat camping style travel companies are coming up, in different parts of the country, that have tie-ups with local infrastructure and give self drive camping style experiences in a reasonable safe environment.

One that I found on youtube was: https://www.camping-co.com/ based out of north east.

NOTE: Not affiliated with them in any way and found them on net while searching for overlanding, camping sites etc.
khan_sultan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th February 2022, 11:11   #5
Team-BHP Support

Nice idea for a thread. As far as I am aware, the concept of camping-grounds / camp-sites where you can camp individually isn't very popular, maybe non-existent, in India. A lot of people camp where they find open space, near lakes/rivers or in forests or in the mountains, which is perhaps illegal, and often trespassing.

That said, the culture of camping seems to be getting popular: eg. quite a few groups have camp sites with 20-50 tents in Pawna, Mulshi and so on. But apart staying in tents rather than a hotel room, there's little "camping" in the true sense of the term at such places.

Having enjoyed going camping in the US/Europe, I truly hope it gains traction in India and we have official camp-sites in the large forests, lake/river basins across our country. The good part is, there's essentially negligible set up cost/effort:

1) Demarcate individual spots across the camp-sites
2) Have common bio-toilets

The tricky part would be to educate people to not litter, and engage in stupidity (harassing other groups, esp. one with women, ensuring the bonfire doesn't lead to a forest-fire and so on).
libranof1987 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th February 2022, 11:12   #6
BHPian

Thanks for creating this thread. It will be useful for us who are into camping. We can share information of sites that we have visited/experienced. It will be great if we get these information from other bhpians:

Quote:
Management: independent/hotel/public ground
Your safety rating:
Couple friendly? Yes/no
Cleanliness rating:
However, camping is yet to catch up in India, mostly due to its extreme weather. Most of the country is a heat chamber most of the year. Any thoughts about camping goes out of the window.
BhaskarG is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th February 2022, 15:11   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
The good part is, there's essentially negligible set up cost/effort:

1) Demarcate individual spots across the camp-sites
2) Have common bio-toilets
It seems that there is negligible expense to make Camping Sites, but the Government of India has very specific guidelines on what all should be present at Campervan Parks and what should be the ideal parking bay sizes etc. Have a look at the attached PDF for further details.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Guideline_8.pdf (79.8 KB, 367 views)
AdityaDeane is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks